ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Ferrari in the house last night

I’m not defending AJ’s past behavior by any means, and based on his post on social media he obviously deeply regrets his actions at the SS. The Carver staff, however, was completely out of line in this instance. Their treatment of AJ and Anthony was unprofessional and completely unfair. This is a matter of simple human decency, and the Carver staff failed spectacularly.
Now this is hilarious. Thankfully most of us have actually seen his social media and know that he doesn't regret anything, hasn't taken any responsibility, and further, has made up lies about others to divert attention.

You forgot to add the most important and only point you want to look the other way. He may be able to get you points at nationals.

There isn’t a way to look so far, that I would need to look away from. Plenty of idiots have wrestled DI and plenty of those have been Hawkeyes. I am sorry if I don’t see flipping off a hostile crowd to be as big of a deal as others do. Even the very weak slap isn’t that big of a deal to me. So far, it has kept him from the team this year, so the punishment has been more than sufficient so far.

With that said, if you can get a national champ on your team, I think you do your best to make that happen. You have more than half a year to work with him through the HWC and see if you can make it fit. So far, this appears to be exactly what the staff is doing. If he does what is needed, great. You are adding a national champ. If he doesn’t, to me it was more than worth it to try….

Last edited:
That’s hilarious.

This wasn’t about special treatment. AJ and Anthony weren’t receiving special treatment by any means. Until the Carver staff decided to make a mountain out of a molehill, they were receiving exactly the same treatment as everyone else in the arena — they were simply watching the meet like everyone else.

In fact, this was the polar opposite of special treatment. It was a case where someone on the Carver staff decided it was a good idea to be petty and vindictive and to single out one guy for something hundreds of fans were also doing, and do every meet.

I’m not defending AJ’s past behavior by any means, and based on his post on social media he obviously deeply regrets his actions at the SS. The Carver staff, however, was completely out of line in this instance. Their treatment of AJ and Anthony was unprofessional and completely unfair. This is a matter of simple human decency, and the Carver staff failed spectacularly.
Sure. Human decency.

There isn’t a way to look so far the I would need to look away from. Plenty of idiots have wrestled DI and plenty of those have been Hawkeyes. I am sorry if I don’t see flipping off a hostile crowd to be as big of a deal as others do. Even the very weak slap isn’t that big of a deal to me. So far, it has kept him from the team this year, so the punishment has been more than sufficient so far.

With that said, if you can get a national champ on your team, I think you do your best to make that happen. You have more than half a year to work with him through the HWC and see if you can make it fit. So far, this appears to be exactly what the staff is doing. If he does what is needed, great. You are adding a nation champ. If he doesn’t, to me it was more than worth it to try….
Plenty of idiots lost their wrestling career because they couldn't follow the rules too. It isn't just the Soldier Salute stuff. It's his whole history of awful behavior. At this point, I see no signs of his genuine contrition other than one statement. The ends seldom justify the means, and character over time matters. If Carl, John Smith, Tan Tom, or Brian Smith won't recruit him, why should we?

Maybe he could atone in some other significant way. How about a million dollars from his NIL money to Wrestling for Life, which is a non profit. GG or Cowboy up could verify that donation. At least our sport would get something useful before he screws up again.

Last edited:
That’s pretty concise as word salads go.
I’m not sure which part was unintelligible to you but I’ll break it down for the sake of clarity. Actions having consequences was my take and the bit about Iowa fans being racist was the excuse AJ used to defend flipping off the crowd.

And that’s all that matters isn’t it.
Unfortunately, to the Brands, yes, it is clear that is all that matters. Throwing all morals, values and leadership qualities out the window just for a really desperate chance to win what is essentially "a game". It's sad to see what the new level of acceptable behavior is. Iowa needs to be better than this.

Unfortunately, to the Brands, yes, it is clear that is all that matters. Throwing all morals, values and leadership qualities out the window just for a really desperate chance to win what is essentially "a game". It's sad to see what the new level of acceptable behavior is. Iowa needs to be better than this.
You must be too young to remember the things your coach (Carl) has done for points.

Plenty of idiots lost their wrestling career because they couldn't follow the rules too. It isn't just the Soldier Salute stuff. It's his whole history of awful behavior. At this point, I see no signs of his genuine contrition other than one statement. The ends seldom justify the means. and character over time matters. If Carl, John Smith, Tan Tom, or Brian Smith won't recruit him, why should we?

Maybe he he could atone in some other significant way. How about a million dollars from his NIL money to Wrestling for Life, which is a non profit. GG or Cowboy up could verify that donation. At least our sport would get something useful before he screws up again.

He already lost this season due to his actions at the Soldier Salute. He had already been essentially ostracized from basically the entire wrestling community for his actions prior to coming to Iowa. He now has a chance to wrestle for the HWC and prove he can keep his nose clean and stay in good standing academically.

Make no mistake, I am not saying add him with no accountability. I would give him absolute zero tolerance for any legal transgressions. If he gets ticketed for J walking, he is gone. If he falls even slightly behind in his class work, he is gone. But, if he does something that makes people dislike him, that isn’t as big of a deal to me. It is already the case for most, simply by looking at him.

Finally, by all accounts, the Brands seem to be guys that truly do try to help people “fix” themselves. They worked wonders with DeSanto. I am willing to give them some leeway to see what they can do here.

He already lost this season due to his actions at the Soldier Salute. He had already been essentially ostracized from basically the entire wrestling community for his actions prior to coming to Iowa. He now has a chance to wrestle for the HWC and prove he can keep his nose clean and stay in good standing academically.

Make no mistake, I am not saying add him with no accountability. I would give him absolute zero tolerance for any legal transgressions. If he gets ticketed for J walking, he is gone. If he falls even slightly behind in his class work, he is gone. But, if he does something that makes people dislike him, that isn’t as big of a deal to me. It is already the case for most, simply by looking at him.

Finally, by all accounts, the Brands seem to be guys that truly do try to help people “fix” themselves. They worked wonders with DeSanto. I am willing to give them some leeway to see what they can do here.
He lost a season by his choice and i think a big part was to avoid A brooks. It helped him not hurt him

50% of the proceeds of the Soldier Salute go to the USO and the event is to honor future, present and past soldiers. His reaction did not honor the purpose of the event. I own the opinion and respect your response.

Prior to the event I leaned toward letting him join the team. After the event, I lean toward not letting him join. What I think doesn’t have jack squat to do with whether he gets on the team or not.
When you act like he did it’s disrespectful to the event and the purpose it’s serving.
Then he also did a good deed that day if 50% goes to the military, because him entering the event sold many more tickets to more casual wrestling fans.

Honestly that take is even dumber than some of your takes used to fully defend Trump. Out of everything he has done I would be surprised if he has even thought about Aaron Brooks when someone mentioned the name in his presence.
Both my assessments are spot on. Hes not within 8 of AB. On anything…..class, character, and certainly ability. Im a hawk fan but not of this current leadership or adding this clown

Reactions: AriesRam
Both my assessments are spot on. Hes not within 8 of AB. On anything…..class, character, and certainly ability. Im a hawk fan but not of this current leadership or adding this clown

Brooks may very well be better than AJ. Hell, I am not even trying to argue otherwise. But, you have to realize how incredibly stupid it sounds to say AJ slapped at Glazier, did the splits and flipped off the crowd because he didn’t want to wrestle Brooks.

Sort of like calling Trump a true Republican and most of the others RINOs, when Trump is actually the one that wasn’t a Republican ever until he decided to run for President..

Brooks may very well be better than AJ. Hell, I am not even trying to argue otherwise. But, you have to realize how incredibly stupid it sounds to say AJ slapped at Glazier, did the splits and flipped off the crowd because he didn’t want to wrestle Brooks.

Sort of like calling Trump a true Republican and most of the others RINOs, when Trump is actually the one that wasn’t a Republican ever until he decided to run for President..
argue with yourself!

Reactions: BlameIt
That’s hilarious.

This wasn’t about special treatment. AJ and Anthony weren’t receiving special treatment by any means. Until the Carver staff decided to make a mountain out of a molehill, they were receiving exactly the same treatment as everyone else in the arena — they were simply watching the meet like everyone else.

In fact, this was the polar opposite of special treatment. It was a case where someone on the Carver staff decided it was a good idea to be petty and vindictive and to single out one guy for something hundreds of fans were also doing, and do every meet.

I was sitting in that section, just in the nose bleeds. I didn’t even know they were there until intermission when I saw AJ taking pictures and doing autographs on top. After that, I did see a small group of 6 kids walk over to those seats to get an autograph, and they barely got up the steps when staff ran over and kicked their asses out fast. Would have taken maybe a minute to get quick autograph, kids walked away sad. I understand if the athlete tells them to keep people away, which is probably the case with Spencer. I agree about changing seats, I was tempted to move closer, like I’ve done before, security never checks tickets unless you’re in someone’s seat and won’t move for them. Anthony has used these seats before AJ arrived, and didn’t get hastled. They employees are probably just as big of haters as some of our posters, and they’re going to try to push his buttons like some of the SS fans to see if he retaliates. That’s being a bully, which people accuse him of being. I think that’s what he was getting at with that short lived scar face video he posted the night of the SS.

I was sitting in that section, just in the nose bleeds. I didn’t even know they were there until intermission when I saw AJ taking pictures and doing autographs on top. After that, I did see a small group of 6 kids walk over to those seats to get an autograph, and they barely got up the steps when staff ran over and kicked their asses out fast. Would have taken maybe a minute to get quick autograph, kids walked away sad. I understand if the athlete tells them to keep people away, which is probably the case with Spencer. I agree about changing seats, I was tempted to move closer, like I’ve done before, security never checks tickets unless you’re in someone’s seat and won’t move for them. Anthony has used these seats before AJ arrived, and didn’t get hastled. They employees are probably just as big of haters as some of our posters, and they’re going to try to push his buttons like some of the SS fans to see if he retaliates. That’s being a bully, which people accuse him of being. I think that’s what he was getting at with that short lived scar face video he posted the night of the SS.
What were AJ and his brother wearing and color?

Reactions: Agoodnap
AJ giving the crowd the double middle fingers would have been a great picture to get autographed. The dude has an edge about him, a swagger and just gets it, honestly. I look forward to many more double birds after a win at Iowa. I just hope he can save them for the road trips.

I’m pretty neutral on giving AJ a chance to earn his way onto the team, but last night’s handling of him by the UI was disappointing to say the least.

He and Anthony were watching the meet across the aisle from us, just minding their own business and signing occasional autographs for kids. Out of the blue, about halfway through the meet, a UI staffer who normally sits at the scorer’s table approached them and tried to kick them out of their seats, claiming that they didn’t have tickets for the seats where they were sitting. People sit in seats that aren’t their own on a regular basis — wrestlers and fans alike — especially in the section behind the Iowa bench. Nobody ever gets asked to move, in my experience of attending meets in Carver since it opened. The UI employee was rather hostile and accusatory and appeared to be attempting to embarrass AJ and Anthony. Several fans sitting in our area took exception to the UI staffer’s behavior and he was finally told to stand down by a superior after a very awkward 5-10 minutes.

About 30 minutes later, as AJ was politely signing autographs for a few kids, a security guy came up from the floor and told AJ he was blocking the aisle and needed to move. Fans were seated and watching the meet; there were only a handful of kids and they were in nobody’s way. There was no need to kick him out of the area.

Whether or not AJ is eventually willing and able to earn his way onto the team is open to question, but the display from UI staff last night seemed petty and entirely inappropriate. Regardless of one’s history, that was no way to treat a spectator at any UI event. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and will leave him alone if he attends any more meets going forward. Regardless of whether he ever wrestles for Iowa, he should be treated with at least a modicum of respect by the UI, just like anyone else attending an Iowa wrestling meet in Carver.
I witnessed this whole scene as well. I sit directly behind the "security" guy (bald guy). He sits at the scorers table in front of a monitor with 12-14 video feeds of the entire arena, including some outside shots. He simply sits there and scans the video feeds. He has an earpiece. he got up and went up to AJ and started harassing him for no reason. After a few minutes, another staffer came down from up above and told the "security guy" to get his ass back down to the mat side table. It was bizzare.

Security has been cracking down on kids getting autographs during the meet. They have 2 or 3 assigned to Spencer now . It does create a distraction, and blocks views of other fans. It also prevents the athletes from watching their teammates. AJ had a consistent small line in an area that could block some views. The security or UofI official should have politely told the kids they need to wait for intermission. I'm glad to hear fans in the area got on the employee for being rude. Trying to make him move seats is out of line since they never do that to anyone else.
they dony block views spencer hangs out in the tunnel and adjacent. We had an Iowa alum sitting next to us in OUR seat, security didn't come and harass him like they did AJ. It was bizarre. AJ just sits there quietly and signs autographs.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
The pat answer when you have no good retort to a point made. I expected that.
Nope grandpappy taught us if you argue with a fool others cant tell who the fool is so i want it evident your the fool…pretty easy

Reactions: el dub
It is so easy to judge when you can’t be judged in return. The funny thing is there is usually a ton of hypocrisy when you look closely at those that are most vocal in their negative judgement.

One of the best examples ever was when a really good buddy of mine got a DUI over 25 years ago. The judge absolutely laced into him so hard she had his mother in tears. She basically called him the equivalent to the Devil himself. Needless to say, a few months later his mom was watching the news. That same judge got pulled over with a BAC nearly double what his was and was even recorded pulling the “Don’t you know who I am” line.

It isn’t always the case, but such self righteous indignation is often masking the problems the person judging is trying to ignore or project.

Last edited:
It is so easy to judge when you can’t be judged in return. The funny thing is there is usually a ton of hypocrisy when you look closely at those that are most vocal in their negative judgement.

One of the best examples ever was when a really good buddy of mine got a DUI over 25 years ago. The judge absolutely laced into him so hard she had his mother in tears. She basically called him the equivalent to the Devil himself. Needless to say, a few months later his mom was watching the news. That same judge got pulled over with a BAC nearly double what his was and was even recorded pulling the “Don’t you know you I am” line.

It isn’t always the case, but such self righteous indignation is often masking the problems the person judging is trying to ignore or project.
Its not self righteousness to call out behavior so rediculous over and over. I know a ton of kids, wrestlers for yrs. Never seen such a display as this clown and his folks who support it.

Its not self righteousness to call out behavior so rediculous over and over. I know a ton of kids, wrestlers for yrs. Never seen such a display as this clown and his folks who support it.

I don’t know, man. I wrestled with and around plenty of guys that were no more morally sound than AJ. There just wasn’t the Internet to make everything you do 100% visible and apparent to everyone that even glances that way.

Now, I am not condoning many of his actions. The guy needs to grow up and clean his act up. I am just not as bothered by his antics, because I was around plenty of similar things over the years…

I witnessed this whole scene as well. I sit directly behind the "security" guy (bald guy). He sits at the scorers table in front of a monitor with 12-14 video feeds of the entire arena, including some outside shots. He simply sits there and scans the video feeds. He has an earpiece. he got up and went up to AJ and started harassing him for no reason. After a few minutes, another staffer came down from up above and told the "security guy" to get his ass back down to the mat side table. It was bizzare.
Are you sure that guy isn’t MAGAman??

Now, I am not condoning many of his actions. The guy needs to grow up and clean his act up. I am just not as bothered by his antics, because I was around plenty of similar things over the years…
Your usual disclaimer of not condoning his actions does not absolve you of your repeated defenses of this POS. So you aren’t so bothered by his “antics.” Funny word to describe driving well over the speed limit with a passenger to attempt to pass three cars blindly towards the crest of a hill nearly killing a few innocents.

Some may recall that I was posting warnings about this guy in the first threads about Iowa’s interest in him. As I stated back then, as a PSU fan, nothing would please me more than watching Iowa self destruct by getting involved with AJ, but if I was an Iowa guy I would be absolutely bewildered by Iowa’s benefit/cost analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT