ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Ferrari in the house last night

Your usual disclaimer of not condoning his actions does not absolve you of your repeated defenses of this POS. So you aren’t so bothered by his “antics.” Funny word to describe driving well over the speed limit with a passenger to attempt to pass three cars blindly towards the crest of a hill nearly killing a few innocents.

Some may recall that I was posting warnings about this guy in the first threads about Iowa’s interest in him. As I stated back then, as a PSU fan, nothing would please me more than watching Iowa self destruct by getting involved with AJ, but if I was an Iowa guy I would be absolutely bewildered by Iowa’s benefit/cost analysis.

Lol, you are falling victim to reading it how you want to, versus how it is. I am not remotely defending his actions. He has made a ton of dumb decisions. All I have said is they don’t bother me nearly as much as many of you and apparently they don’t bother the legal system nearly that much either. Or, he would have done some jail time.

Look, the kid needs to clean his act up. He has almost another year to do it. If he can, Iowa ends up with an NCAA DI champ on their roster. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t get on the team and the amount of damage done is the exact same when they tried it with Downey…..exactly zero.

Also, remember I clearly stated he gets absolute zero tolerance for any and all legal issues. If he gets cited for j-walking, he is gone. If he messes up in the class room, he is gone. If he is a dick, I can live with it. Plenty of top notch wrestlers have been and are socks and plenty more will be after he is gone…

AJ giving the crowd the double middle fingers would have been a great picture to get autographed. The dude has an edge about him, a swagger and just gets it, honestly. I look forward to many more double birds after a win at Iowa. I just hope he can save them for the road trips.
Unironically liked this post

Reactions: Bucky712
I don’t know, man. I wrestled with and around plenty of guys that were no more morally sound than AJ. There just wasn’t the Internet to make everything you do 100% visible and apparent to everyone that even glances that way.

Now, I am not condoning many of his actions. The guy needs to grow up and clean his act up. I am just not as bothered by his antics, because I was around plenty of similar things over the years…
Ill trust your word on this. I had teammates and coached kids that did stupid shit but not continuously then blame others and continue the clownshow. This kid just wont learn. They typically just went away or learned and changed. I havent seen a shred of evidence of that from ferrari.

His continuous self promo is nausiating. If I’m him after his rape charges and his reckless driving that almost killed people, I would’ve just crawled in a hole and kept my mouth shut and let it blow over while working my ass off to get back into competition. But what he do he continually makes excuses continually screws up continually post. Stupid shit Etc. I’ll never buy into the fact that this kid is good for the Hawkeye wrestling program.. I could be completely wrong, and he could turn a new leaf and be the perfect competitor for the Hawkeyes. However, with his latest crap on social media even after everything, it just doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be something in his DNA.

I will say I do like to give kids multiple chances, particularly when they’ve got Dipshit parents guiding them in the wrong direction and supporting their shitty behavior.

I’m not sure if glazier has another year. Somebody mentioned that earlier. If that’s the case, and he transfers out of Iowa city, I hope to God he beats him.

Reactions: MSU158
Lol, you are falling victim to reading it how you want to, versus how it is. I am not remotely defending his actions. He has made a ton of dumb decisions. All I have said is they don’t bother me nearly as much as many of you and apparently they don’t bother the legal system nearly that much either. Or, he would have done some jail time.

Look, the kid needs to clean his act up. He has almost another year to do it. If he can, Iowa ends up with an NCAA DI champ on their roster. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t get on the team and the amount of damage done is the exact same when they tried it with Downey…..exactly zero.

Also, remember I clearly stated he gets absolute zero tolerance for any and all legal issues. If he gets cited for j-walking, he is gone. If he messes up in the class room, he is gone. If he is a dick, I can live with it. Plenty of top notch wrestlers have been and are socks and plenty more will be after he is gone…
Exactly. I'm a very religious man.

Iowa wrestling isn't supposed to be exclusively for choir boys.

Reactions: sdvike
Ill trust your word on this. I had teammates and coached kids that did stupid shit but not continuously then blame others and continue the clownshow. This kid just wont learn. They typically just went away or learned and changed. I havent seen a shred of evidence of that from ferrari.

His continuous self promo is nausiating. If I’m him after his rape charges and his reckless driving that almost killed people, I would’ve just crawled in a hole and kept my mouth shut and let it blow over while working my ass off to get back into competition. But what he do he continually makes excuses continually screws up continually post. Stupid shit Etc. I’ll never buy into the fact that this kid is good for the Hawkeye wrestling program.. I could be completely wrong, and he could turn a new leaf and be the perfect competitor for the Hawkeyes. However, with his latest crap on social media even after everything, it just doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be something in his DNA.

I will say I do like to give kids multiple chances, particularly when they’ve got Dipshit parents guiding them in the wrong direction and supporting their shitty behavior.

I’m not sure if glazier has another year. Somebody mentioned that earlier. If that’s the case, and he transfers out of Iowa city, I hope to God he beats him.
You and all the other never Ferrari dude really like to use hyperbole. Saying he is constantly doing terrible stuff, and has already done tons of terrible things is flat out lying. After winning the national championship as a true freshman, we learned he is overly proud of his body and lifting stats, and his personality is painfully east coast Italian. That still persists and most likely will. Especially since he has made this his brand to make some money. He made a stupid driving mistake which could’ve killed him and others, luckily that didn’t happen. He had an accusation of sexual abuse, which put his wrestling career on hold for probably 2 years, even after everything was dropped. Then gave the finger to a very hostile crowd who he made the mistake of thinking it would be a friendly crowd because he considered himself a hawk knowing he was committing soon. There you go, all his sins of the last 3 years. It’s really his east coast Italian personality that rubs you guys the wrong way, so you want to blow everything he does or doesn’t do out of proportion. Claims he doesn’t drink, so that’s a positive.

You and all the other never Ferrari dude really like to use hyperbole. Saying he is constantly doing terrible stuff, and has already done tons of terrible things is flat out lying. After winning the national championship as a true freshman, we learned he is overly proud of his body and lifting stats, and his personality is painfully east coast Italian. That still persists and most likely will. Especially since he has made this his brand to make some money. He made a stupid driving mistake which could’ve killed him and others, luckily that didn’t happen. He had an accusation of sexual abuse, which put his wrestling career on hold for probably 2 years, even after everything was dropped. Then gave the finger to a very hostile crowd who he made the mistake of thinking it would be a friendly crowd because he considered himself a hawk knowing he was committing soon. There you go, all his sins of the last 3 years. It’s really his east coast Italian personality that rubs you guys the wrong way, so you want to blow everything he does or doesn’t do out of proportion. Claims he doesn’t drink, so that’s a positive.
How can you write so much while knowing so little?

AJ has been a problem for far longer than 3 years, he couldn't even make 3 different highschools work out. You reap what you sow. You got the full frontal display right to your face, yet you excuse it away with either a lack of a moral standard or the pitiful "he's really on notice now, a 9th strike and he's out". I feel compassion for the Iowa fans who have their heads screwed on straight and recognize the collateral damage from this experiment could be significant. For the rest, I am starting to looking forward to when shit hits the fan, and you all crawl under the nearest rock claiming it wasn't you supporting the degenerate. News flash - this is one kid who ain't changing his ways.

AJ has been a problem for far longer than 3 years, he couldn't even make 3 different highschools work out. You reap what you sow. You got the full frontal display right to your face, yet you excuse it away with either a lack of a moral standard or the pitiful "he's really on notice now, a 9th strike and he's out". I feel compassion for the Iowa fans who have their heads screwed on straight and recognize the collateral damage from this experiment could be significant. For the rest, I am starting to looking forward to when shit hits the fan, and you all crawl under the nearest rock claiming it wasn't you supporting the degenerate. News flash - this is one kid who ain't changing his ways.

Agree 100%.

They just keep moving the goalposts, saying "next time he's really out, and we'll REALLY mean it next time!". It's sadly laughable. Just like how a sh*tbag parent ignores all the sh*tty things their degenerate kid does. Turn a blind eye and let someone else get burned in the process. Zero consequences, zero morals.

They just keep moving the goalposts, saying "next time he's really out, and we'll REALLY mean it next time!". It's sadly laughable. Just like how a sh*tbag parent ignores all the sh*tty things their degenerate kid does. Turn a blind eye and let someone else get burned in the process. Zero consequences, zero morals.
Were you a wrestling fan in 15 years ago? If so did you feel the same way about how the Andrew Long situation was handled? He was in trouble multiple times at Iowa st for drinking related things and was removed from the team. Penn st takes him in he gets arrested again for drinking things. He stays at Penn st and eventually raped a woman in her 50s who was a students mom. He also plead guilty and did almost a year in jail. Just a little history lesson on how things really work in D1 athletics when the athlete can perform

Were you a wrestling fan in 15 years ago? If so did you feel the same way about how the Andrew Long situation was handled? He was in trouble multiple times at Iowa st for drinking related things and was removed from the team. Penn st takes him in he gets arrested again for drinking things. He stays at Penn st and eventually raped a woman in her 50s who was a students mom. He also plead guilty and did almost a year in jail. Just a little history lesson on how things really work in D1 athletics when the athlete can perform
Pitiful.

Just sick of the people pissing on AJ constantly. We get it a bunch of adults don't like a cocky kid shocker. Most forgot how they acted and what they did before graduating college. I hope AJ graduates and stays out of trouble. At the end of the day this wrestling doesn't mean a damn thing it's what you become that matters

I don’t know, man. I wrestled with and around plenty of guys that were no more morally sound than AJ. There just wasn’t the Internet to make everything you do 100% visible and apparent to everyone that even glances that way.

Now, I am not condoning many of his actions. The guy needs to grow up and clean his act up. I am just not as bothered by his antics, because I was around plenty of similar things over the years
so what iowa st/PSU did makes this ok for brands to do? And no it wasnt right. But that was 2-3 issues. AF has had far more 2nd chances

Reactions: el dub

Chittum is on what, his 6th school in 6 years? as a freshman in college, he must REALLY have some issues! 🙄
All this hand wringing and AJ isn’t even on the the team this year! If he is next year, it means he’s kept his nose clean from now up to that point.
Seems like either the wrestling program, or the University, made the decision to hold him off until next year. Likely, imo, out of caution and to see how he handles himself to that point and yet still give him every opportunity to succeed.
Ill wait to see how it plays out and reserve judgement until that point.

so...was what cael did with andrew long - giving him a third/fourth chance because he was an opportunity for points at nationals - a bad thing?

becuase i've seen cael criticised here for that very thing...that cael is a bad person because of what happened after andrew long did with one of those extra chances his wrestling ability got him

are we just playing the result? extra chances are good, until the guy does something bad?

Reactions: Wawa Coffee
Now this is hilarious. Thankfully most of us have actually seen his social media and know that he doesn't regret anything, hasn't taken any responsibility, and further, has made up lies about others to divert attention.
Seriously, how could you possibly know what his intent was with the statement?? Ah, yea, you can't. He could have said nothing, and people would rip on him for that. What would you prefer? on his knees? He made a mistake, AS did the refs, AS did Glazier. Aj took it to far. Nobody, including Aj disputes that. And furthermore, he didn't run, or hide, he is standing up, and staying the course of becoming a Hawkeye.

And how could you possibly know what was being said to him or shouted to him. I was there, I was listening to people bitch during the match about him. Aj is a great athlete and wrestler, Glazier stepped up, as he has, and showed he is one tough SOB. And it was a great match that got diminished by SEVERAL things that were out of line. But, to say he made up lies to things he heard shouted at him. Sadly, with the state of fans we have around here that rip every Iowa student athlete that doesn't compete to the level they expect, I believe it.

they dony block views spencer hangs out in the tunnel and adjacent. We had an Iowa alum sitting next to us in OUR seat, security didn't come and harass him like they did AJ. It was bizarre. AJ just sits there quietly and signs autographs.
I was talking about the signing of autographs in general rather than the HWC guys in the tunnel. However, it does block views with Spencer also. Parents bring their kids down to the landing to pass items down to the athletes. The taller parents blocks views in EE. The aisle also gets blocked for those trying to use the bathroom when the guys stand on the CC side of the tunnel. The main blocking of view occurs when Football players or AJ etc sit in WDMHawkeye area though. I love that the kids want autographs, but understand why security has been stopping it.

It was kind've funny Monday night when the security lady tried making Dan Dennis produce a ticket. He recently had his 3rd kid, and maybe looked a little tired. He got a good razzing from the other guys.

So you’re a Ferrari family insider?? I ask for details of all these horrible things you guys claim he’s done and is doing now, besides what I detailed in my post. It all boils down to his personality that rubs you the wrong way. I admit, being a Midwest guy, I don’t prefer that type of coarse east coast personality either, but I try to be open minded if the person can do a good job with what you want out of him. In this case it’s wrestling. He’s not doing a major personality change, but I think he will stay out of trouble, especially if he gets a chance to be a Hawkeye under TnT rules. Please fill me in on all the lawless behavior he has done besides the car accident. Sounds like Rathjen has a drinking problem and is lucky he hasn’t killed somebody on the road, but everyone loves him because he’s an Iowa kid, so no one cares.

Everybody with their panties in a twist over AJ being a Hawk realizes that he isn't a Hawk, never has been a Hawk, and won't be a Hawk unless he stays out of trouble until next fall correct? Calling Tom desperate and saying someone who has never been on the team will be the end of the Brands brothers and destroy the legacy of the Iowa Hawkeye wrestling program makes zero sense. The PSU trolls running with this as a black eye is stupid as well. Why is Iowa responsible for what a non-Iowa wrestler is doing other than making the end call on whether to let him join down the road or not? Sorry, but complaining about something that hasn't even happened is stupid. I think AJ acts like an idiot. I'm not worried about him becoming a Hawkeye until it happens, which won't be until next fall if ever, and it won't happen then unless he totes the line. If all three Ferrari's are on the roster next fall it will be because they earned it and I will cheer for them if they wrestle as a Hawk. Lets discuss this when it is a problem, not in what ifs.

Everybody with their panties in a twist over AJ being a Hawk realizes that he isn't a Hawk, never has been a Hawk, and won't be a Hawk unless he stays out of trouble until next fall correct? Calling Tom desperate and saying someone who has never been on the team will be the end of the Brands brothers and destroy the legacy of the Iowa Hawkeye wrestling program makes zero sense. The PSU trolls running with this as a black eye is stupid as well. Why is Iowa responsible for what a non-Iowa wrestler is doing other than making the end call on whether to let him join down the road or not? Sorry, but complaining about something that hasn't even happened is stupid. I think AJ acts like an idiot. I'm not worried about him becoming a Hawkeye until it happens, which won't be until next fall if ever, and it won't happen then unless he totes the line. If all three Ferrari's are on the roster next fall it will be because they earned it and I will cheer for them if they wrestle as a Hawk. Lets discuss this when it is a problem, not in what ifs.
So, what happened to AJ joining the team second semester? Was that just miscommunication?

So you’re a Ferrari family insider?? I ask for details of all these horrible things you guys claim he’s done and is doing now, besides what I detailed in my post. It all boils down to his personality that rubs you the wrong way. I admit, being a Midwest guy, I don’t prefer that type of coarse east coast personality either, but I try to be open minded if the person can do a good job with what you want out of him. In this case it’s wrestling. He’s not doing a major personality change, but I think he will stay out of trouble, especially if he gets a chance to be a Hawkeye under TnT rules. Please fill me in on all the lawless behavior he has done besides the car accident. Sounds like Rathjen has a drinking problem and is lucky he hasn’t killed somebody on the road, but everyone loves him because he’s an Iowa kid, so no one cares.
This goes further than typical personality conflicts, imo. AJ was kicked out of multiple high schools as well as OSU, eh? This is into personality disorder, imo.

I’m pretty neutral on giving AJ a chance to earn his way onto the team, but last night’s handling of him by the UI was disappointing to say the least.

He and Anthony were watching the meet across the aisle from us, just minding their own business and signing occasional autographs for kids. Out of the blue, about halfway through the meet, a UI staffer who normally sits at the scorer’s table approached them and tried to kick them out of their seats, claiming that they didn’t have tickets for the seats where they were sitting. People sit in seats that aren’t their own on a regular basis — wrestlers and fans alike — especially in the section behind the Iowa bench. Nobody ever gets asked to move, in my experience of attending meets in Carver since it opened. The UI employee was rather hostile and accusatory and appeared to be attempting to embarrass AJ and Anthony. Several fans sitting in our area took exception to the UI staffer’s behavior and he was finally told to stand down by a superior after a very awkward 5-10 minutes.

About 30 minutes later, as AJ was politely signing autographs for a few kids, a security guy came up from the floor and told AJ he was blocking the aisle and needed to move. Fans were seated and watching the meet; there were only a handful of kids and they were in nobody’s way. There was no need to kick him out of the area.

Whether or not AJ is eventually willing and able to earn his way onto the team is open to question, but the display from UI staff last night seemed petty and entirely inappropriate. Regardless of one’s history, that was no way to treat a spectator at any UI event. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and will leave him alone if he attends any more meets going forward. Regardless of whether he ever wrestles for Iowa, he should be treated with at least a modicum of respect by the UI, just like anyone else attending an Iowa wrestling meet in Carver.
100% spot on.

Reactions: MAGAman
So, what happened to AJ joining the team second semester? Was that just miscommunication?
I have no idea what the plan was, but he didn't join if that was the plan. Maybe it was and after the SS debacle they told him no until next semester and they will reevaluate the situation then. I have no idea honestly, but that would seem logical.

Reactions: Slim45 and el dub
Your going to have to draw Liberty doofus a picture.
Why don’t you and moosemonster, your name calling buddy, actually draw that picture with details to school me, that’s what I’ve been asking for , instead of your generic accusations. Thanks in advance.

You all need to find a happy little place.

bob ross GIF

Acting like a dbag after the match didn’t disrespect the military/soldiers.

That’s just dumb.
This. I served 24 year on active duty. He didn't offend me in the least, nor do I think he offended any other military guys. This is grasping big time. That said, he definitely disrespected the guys who brought him to Iowa to try to bring him back to national prominence as a wrestler and not as a dumbass.

It's baffling to me how much of the fanbase is letting themselves be hypnotized by this guy. I was on these.message boards during the period where Iowa won their most recent title, and all most of you talked about was how great all the kids on the team were as people, and how it was such an improvement from the previous several years, and now you're fawning over this doof.

Just sick of the people pissing on AJ constantly. We get it a bunch of adults don't like a cocky kid shocker. Most forgot how they acted and what they did before graduating college. I hope AJ graduates and stays out of trouble. At the end of the day this wrestling doesn't mean a damn thing it's what you become that matters

The argument that "Iowa fans don't like the cocky kid" is such bs. There hasn't been a program home to more on the mat cockiness and attitude in the last 15 years than Iowa (Gilman, Ramos, Metcalf, Desanto) and it's one of my favorite things about the program. The Iowa product has more flavor than anywhere else, and they add to the entertainment. Hell, I defended AJ while he was at Okie State for his antics....it's all the stuff that's happened since then that makes most of us prefer not to be associated with him.

Well, that was no way to salute the solders being honored, imo.

That's why I just stuck to kicking them, pushing them down, and then kicking them again. Maybe some verbal versions of giving the finger...while giving the finger...but no splits...no way.

MSU I think you and I are like minded on this topic. AJ's antics do not bother me as much as most of the people on here. The car passing incident was reckless behavior. I hope he has learned from that. I have done similar and/or worse. The sex allegations were likely a money grab or a drunken mistake. If it were truly sexual assault why not follow through with it.

AJ most definitely seems like an egotistical, cocky dbag on social media. From what I have heard that is his "shtick". It's kind of like his WWF persona.

I didn't have a problem with the swipe at Glazier after the match or the bird directed at Glazier. It was how he reacted after all that. The double bird splits to the crowd. It sounds like that cost him wrestling this year. He has to walk the line for about 9 months before he sees the Iowa roster. If he does it and TNT approve then I'm in. If he messes up which is probably way higher odds of happening than, see ya later.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
AJ a good boy. He dindu nuffin.

AJ a good boy. He dindu nuffin.
I am quite certain NO ONE is saying he didn't do anything. There are just some of us that aren't as bothered by what he has done. Especially when it decides whether he can wrestle for Iowa or not.

I am pretty sure nearly everyone agrees that the guy is a douchebag and comes off as incredibly unintelligent. However, I wrestled with, against and even coached plenty like-minded wrestlers. I am simply desensitized to it and as long as the staff thinks they can make it work and have spoken with the team about it, I have no issue with it as long as he does what the staff requires to make it happen...

Turns out, I’m no troll. That’s apparently for those posting with intent to hide allegiance, give deceitful intel, or falsely flatter Hawks. I’m not that, just a confessed Lion (and Spencer) fan who visits for wrestling insights that differ from the den. That said, I’ll offer these random outsider thoughts, unwanted as ever.
Wouldn’t fret much over Ayala’s loss, especially a 1-move decision. He’s looked good, definitely a top-4 seed with a legit title shot at the year’s Wild West weight. Franek’s close bouts wouldn’t scare me either. Means he’s never more than a move away from winning every damn one, even as stakes rise. Legit title contender, too. And without Alirez, I’d bet Woods gets his gold. Would love to see Gabe’s vision quest match with Starocci if it doesn’t interfere with redshirt plans. And as I’ve said over there, I’m rooting for Glazier against all but Brooks. That’s how much I enjoyed his response to Birdboy at your SS. As for AJ himself, I got nothing. No one does. For a kid so committed to keeping his body in shape, it’s strange he wouldn’t apply the same discipline to this precious chance to compete again, especially with brothers. As an old-school (and plain old) guy, I don’t think the “turn myself into a celebrity” social media stuff helps much.
That’s it. Counting days to Feb 9. Non-troll (ha) out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT