ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Ferrari in the house last night

The same shit happens both ways. Iowa fans run to Penn st boards and give them shit . During the Sandusky situation Iowa fans were all over poking them. Now Penn st fans are here talking shit. Don't get so worked up over it and poke back. It's a wrestling forum most here aren't soft people. It does get annoying at times on both sides that's when you take a break and think of a good comeback. Remember everyone is here because they love WRESTLING

The same shit happens both ways. Iowa fans run to Penn st boards and give them shit . During the Sandusky situation Iowa fans were all over poking them. Now Penn st fans are here talking shit. Don't get so worked up over it and poke back. It's a wrestling forum most here aren't soft people. It does get annoying at times on both sides that's when you take a break and think of a good comeback. Remember everyone is here because they love WRESTLING
Not really and I’m referring to myself.

There isn’t a way to look so far, that I would need to look away from. Plenty of idiots have wrestled DI and plenty of those have been Hawkeyes. I am sorry if I don’t see flipping off a hostile crowd to be as big of a deal as others do. Even the very weak slap isn’t that big of a deal to me. So far, it has kept him from the team this year, so the punishment has been more than sufficient so far.

With that said, if you can get a national champ on your team, I think you do your best to make that happen. You have more than half a year to work with him through the HWC and see if you can make it fit. So far, this appears to be exactly what the staff is doing. If he does what is needed, great. You are adding a national champ. If he doesn’t, to me it was more than worth it to try….
LOL. yeah, if it was only a slap and his disrespect, then heck yes give AJ a second chance. However, you might want to look just a little more. HS, Okie St., his driving record, not one but two arrests for assault. On top of all that AJ hasn’t changed, makes excuses and looks like he doesn’t think he has done anything wrong. Idiots are one thing but I don’t think AJ is one. He is much more of a narcissist. The Hawkeye Wrestling Program is far more important than giving AJ a 4th or 5th chance just for a few points at nationals. Huge risk small reward.

My guess is:
1. PSU has the 2nd largest fan base in the country.
2. A couple of those fans are gonna find this Board and chime in on a story that is currently relevant to Iowa wrestling.
3. What the Brands do and the constant soap opera drama revolving around Iowa wrestling make easy storylines and topics for discussion no matter the fan base.

If AJ to Iowa didn't exist, this wouldn't be happening. If Brands didn't exist, there'd be fewer issues at Iowa. Address the issues and the problems go away. It's rather simple.
#1 fify

LOL. yeah, if it was only a slap and his disrespect, then heck yes give AJ a second chance. However, you might want to look just a little more. HS, Okie St., his driving record, not one but two arrests for assault. On top of all that AJ hasn’t changed, makes excuses and looks like he doesn’t think he has done anything wrong. Idiots are one thing but I don’t think AJ is one. He is much more of a narcissist. The Hawkeye Wrestling Program is far more important than giving AJ a 4th or 5th chance just for a few points at nationals. Huge risk small reward.

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren’t the assault charges against Anthony and not AJ?

Look, I am not saying anyone should like the guy. I have clearly stated that every indication points to his not being a good person. I simply don’t think that unilaterally eliminates him from being able to wrestle.

If he can stay 100% absolutely clean in regards to any and all legal matters and can 100% handle his class requirements, I don’t have an issue with him as long as the coaches are good with it and have felt out the team well enough to let it happen.

Simply put, I trust the staff to lay down the ground rules and make the decisions. If they are comfortable with it, so am I. If not, I wouldn’t question that choice either.

Serious question, I think I have checked out the PSU board once or twice and have never posted over there. Do they really get close to the same amount of posts from "Iowa trolls" as we have over here? Does their forum get as much activity in general as here?

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
I guess i just don’t see this huge risk for the program. If the ferraris F up the Brands likely lose their jobs. Move on, hire new coaches (which a fair amt on this board want anyway) and it will be forgotten pretty damn quickly.
PSU football is a pretty good indicator, what happened in that program was 100x worse than anything the ferraris could potentially do. It didn’t take more than a couple years and their program bounced back.
I would argue the UofI name carries far more weight in the wrestling world than PSU’s does in football, which should make it even easier to rebound.
IMO I don’t think the risk is really that much greater than the reward. For TnT personally, yeah probably as they could easily lose their jobs over this. But for the program I think it would recover just fine in fairly short order.

My guess is:
1. PSU has the largest fan base in the country.
2. A couple of those fans are gonna find this Board and chime in on a story that is currently relevant to Iowa wrestling.
3. What the Brands do and the constant soap opera drama revolving around Iowa wrestling make easy storylines and topics for discussion no matter the fan base.

If AJ to Iowa didn't exist, this wouldn't be happening. If Brands didn't exist, there'd be fewer issues at Iowa. Address the issues and the problems go away. It's rather simple.
So basically, Iowa Wrestling, the Brands and this forum lives rent free in your head.
I'm not really sure what team you support but I hope it's not Iowa.

Serious question, I think I have checked out the PSU board once or twice and have never posted over there. Do they really get close to the same amount of posts from "Iowa trolls" as we have over here? Does their forum get as much activity in general as here?
I highly doubt it, but I can't say for sure. I've thought about checking their site out a time or two, but then come to my senses. If they run their mouths like they do our forum, I can only imagine how much "chest pounding" goes on at their own site.

At times and in the past the answer is yes. The Ferrari situation has definitely made more Penn st fans come here lately but that's expected. Not many fan bases in wrestling give a shit like Iowa and Penn st fans do. I don't see it stopping anytime soon. Whenever one messes up the other will make sure they remind them.

New last May to both sites (but a Lion fan), I’ve seen about 5 regular tags over there that are Hawk fans I’ve also seen here. I’m sure there are others conversing on topics where allegiance isn’t clear or relevant. I’d say I’ve seen more known PSU folk here than vice versa. With both sets of “visitors,” there are intentional antagonists, those just sharing insights and opinion, and disagreements that remain civil. As an aside, at least two known Hawk visitors provide some of the best stat or historic intel I’ve read over there.
Me, I visit GIA for a different perspective, often on wrestlers or teams that are neither Hawk nor Lion. Plus, I’m a longtime Spencer fan from his HS days and get more scoop on him here.

I highly doubt it, but I can't say for sure. I've thought about checking their site out a time or two, but then come to my senses. If they run their mouths like they do our forum, I can only imagine how much "chest pounding" goes on at their own site.
Imagine no more. To steal from B Lightyear, it’s an amount that goes “to infinity and beyond.”

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I guess i just don’t see this huge risk for the program. If the ferraris F up the Brands likely lose their jobs. Move on, hire new coaches (which a fair amt on this board want anyway) and it will be forgotten pretty damn quickly.
PSU football is a pretty good indicator, what happened in that program was 100x worse than anything the ferraris could potentially do. It didn’t take more than a couple years and their program bounced back.
I would argue the UofI name carries far more weight in the wrestling world than PSU’s does in football, which should make it even easier to rebound.
IMO I don’t think the risk is really that much greater than the reward. For TnT personally, yeah probably as they could easily lose their jobs over this. But for the program I think it would recover just fine in fairly short order.
Iowa wrestling as an institution will definitely survive and continue to be one of the top programs in the country. The program is definitely bigger than this. The Brands are risking a pretty big setback, though, including, as you noted, their own positions within it. This has already cost the team one elite recruit in Chittum. Who knows how many more there will be (and who knows whether the Ferraris affected the decisions of Nagao and Truax - at least they didn't specifically cite the Ferraris as a reason they shunned Iowa). So, yeah, this clearly isn't an existential threat, but there is still a considerable amount of risk.

Iowa wrestling as an institution will definitely survive and continue to be one of the top programs in the country. The program is definitely bigger than this. The Brands are risking a pretty big setback, though, including, as you noted, their own positions within it. This has already cost the team one elite recruit in Chittum. Who knows how many more there will be (and who knows whether the Ferraris affected the decisions of Nagao and Truax - at least they didn't specifically cite the Ferraris as a reason they shunned Iowa). So, yeah, this clearly isn't an existential threat, but there is still a considerable amount of risk.
You keep running with that Chittum thing. You are determined. Good for you!

To whom exactly? You ask enough and you will find you are in the vast minority on here even if you have your fellow PSU fans liking your posts...
@so_cal_hawkfan You're a fellow PSU fan? I wouldn't have guessed.

LMAO. Dig the hole deeper. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

You keep running with that Chittum thing. You are determined. Good for you!
I sure am glad that Franek wasn't afraid of Ferrari! We'd be sol at 157. How long until the strangler runs off Chittum at ISU? I'm sure the Brands response when told about the knife pulling incident was "why didn't he take it away from him and shove up his s$$". Because that's what they would have done. I think that's the type of wrestlers they want at Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobhaywood
@so_cal_hawkfan You're a fellow PSU fan? I wouldn't have guessed.

LMAO. Dig the hole deeper. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

He laughed at the post you typed. Giant difference. Also, I am not talking about a popularity contest. I am talking about the topic itself. I freely admit that I post in a way that doesn’t endear myself to everyone.

The fact that he posted earlier, even though he was incorrect, about my responding with an even longer post than your garbled mess shows what I mean.

Look, Chittum leaving had considerably less to do with the Ferraris than what you keep posting and I am 100% confident in saying that.

Edited to add: Even though I am 100% confident it is against the rules to use percentages without using 83, so I will make sure to stick with my stating earlier that 83% of the reasons he left were in no way Ferrari coming to Iowa related!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobhaywood
My guess is:

To most of us it is clearly obvious as to who and what is simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwoodhawk
He laughed at the post you typed. Giant difference. Also, I am not talking about a popularity contest. I am talking about the topic itself. I freely admit that I post in a way that doesn’t endear myself to everyone.

The fact that he posted earlier, even though he was incorrect, about my responding with an even longer post than your garbled mess shows what I mean.

Look, Chittum leaving had considerably less to do with the Ferraris than what you keep posting and I am 100% confident in saying that.
Reasons don't matter, what happens matters. Whether or not they affected it a little to a lot, Chittum left. we ascribe reasons to things after the fact. So far I think it's fair to say the Ferraris aren't really helping Iowa and it's possible this flirtation with them will hurt Iowa.

Proving the negative after the fact is difficult. It's like why you don't go the the restaurant anymore, how many people are honest enough to tell the owners the real reason?

Reactions: Lambertt
Reasons don't matter, what happens matters. Whether or not they affected it a little to a lot, Chittum left. we ascribe reasons to things after the fact. So far I think it's fair to say the Ferraris aren't really helping Iowa and it's possible this flirtation with them will hurt Iowa.

Proving the negative after the fact is difficult. It's like why you don't go the the restaurant anymore, how many people are honest enough to tell the owners the real reason?
But, it holds significance when you are trying to push a narrative that Iowa is somehow hurting themselves with recruits with the AJ "Project" when he hasn't even hit the roster. Mind you, he wasn't even the issue with Chittum AT ALL. The issue would have been Anthony, who by all accounts has been damn near clean as a whistle.

The data is clear enough if you follow it. Chittum's dad has been a considerable issue through Cody's wrestling. By many accounts Cody would still be wrestling for Iowa if not for his father. By many of those accounts his father wanted more than Iowa was willing to give. Add in that Cody was there for so long without formally committing and connecting the dots isn't as hard as you think, even if you don't have someone close enough to the program confirming it to you....

No and it's not even close

Reactions: 1stplacehawk

Honesty is the best policy.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
If you have ever mingled with the Penn State fanbase in person at any national events, you know they are a bland fan base without much to offer. 10:1 square: interesting humans. If you know, you know. The majority of them don't know shit about wrestling. Sure there are a few good ones in the mix, but its heavily skewed towards the lame end of the spectrum. Their wrestling forum comes off exactly the same. It's just no fun to hang out over there, and they don't have the depth to maintain healthy wrestling conversation. Every single thread is either about Iowa, or divulges into being entirely about Iowa.

If someone repeatedly shows you who they are believe them. At this point AJ in his mind is past college wrestling and views it beneath him. In reality he is three years removed from competing and there is not a chance in the world be becomes a full time college student again.
He will continue this act but I really think underneath it all he is scared to death to hit the big stage again knowing he currently cannot beat the top guys at 197 and would get embarrassed in MMA.

If someone repeatedly shows you who they are believe them. At this point AJ in his mind is past college wrestling and views it beneath him. In reality he is three years removed from competing and there is not a chance in the world be becomes a full time college student again.
He will continue this act but I really think underneath it all he is scared to death to hit the big stage again knowing he currently cannot beat the top guys at 197 and would get embarrassed in MMA.
Well said.

If you have ever mingled with the Penn State fanbase in person at any national events, you know they are a bland fan base without much to offer. 10:1 square: interesting humans. If you know, you know. The majority of them don't know shit about wrestling. Sure there are a few good ones in the mix, but its heavily skewed towards the lame end of the spectrum. Their wrestling forum comes off exactly the same. It's just no fun to hang out over there, and they don't have the depth to maintain healthy wrestling conversation. Every single thread is either about Iowa, or divulges into being entirely about Iowa.
Iowa East

Ouch. Okay, well, thanks for that “human” tag. Acceptance as the same or similar species is greatly appreciated. If honest, I do see a lot of truth in your last sentence. Maybe take it as a sign of respect for the Lions’ only formidable rival? You know, from all of us shallow squares over here on the lame end of the spectrum.

Oh I tell ya, this is a rough board...rough board.
My high school was rough....it was rough.
Our school newspaper had an obituary column.

Respect I Tell Ya GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:
Just as an aside, the degree of self-righteousness on this board with regard to the Ferrari family is about as pathetic as it is ridiculous. Lots of morally superior Hawk fans around here. It’s not a good look.

Nah. GTFO with that. Self righteous is spamming social media and interviews with "Jesus Christ, God, and Christianity" while behaving antagonistically to all of those values.

That narrative doesn’t sell. The real truth is Chittum’s dad wanted more than Iowa was willing to give. Which is exactly why they went and got Franek and the Ferrari’s…
This isn’t true. He was very clear on why they made the decision to leave. Saying otherwise, it’s just denial.

Their board is that way because any opinion contrary to the party line is not tolerated

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT