ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Keyes: Gay Marriage Ruling A 'Just Cause For War'

Ok, only one post left to examine, and I'm sure this is the one you are pretending doesn't make you a liar.

"What would happen if Utah passed a law permitting polygamy? Now, answer your own question about a couple moving to Alabama.

Your second question isn't relevant as to the issue of whether or not the Constitution recognizes gay marriage as a right. It is relevant if you are talking about whether a state should pass a law allowing gay marriage. However, I will answer your question as I did so yesterday and quote the editors of the National Review which sum up my view nicely.

"An older view of marriage has steadily been losing ground to a newer one, and that process began long before the debate over same-sex couples. On the older understanding, society and, to a lesser extent, the government needed to shape sexual behavior—specifically, the type of sexual behavior that often gives rise to children—to promote the well-being of those children. On the newer understanding, marriage is primarily an emotional union of adults with an incidental connection to procreation and children.

We think the older view is not only unbigoted, but rationally superior to the newer one. Supporters of the older view have often said that it offers a sure ground for resisting polygamy while the newer one does not. But perhaps the more telling point is that the newer view does not offer any strong rationale for having a social institution of marriage in the first place, let alone a government-backed one."

I support the older view of marriage, however, if the new view is flavor that wins the day then I don't see how you outlaw other forms of marriage (which is what Justice Alito was alluding to in his question to the gov't lawyer, in which she gave a bumbling, stumbling answer in response). Even more to the point, if the old view is archaic/obsolete then the question is required, "why do we nee a social institution of marriage, let alone a gov't backed one". The newer understanding of marriage doesn't provide a strong rationale for either. So, stop discriminating against single people, like myself, and get the gov't out of marriage. "

- Nothing there, but wait, maybe you were intending to focus on the article you cite, Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/417600/constitution-silent-same-sex-marriage-editors, except it doesn't list any bases either, you posted the meat of it, and it just CLAIMS there were good reasons before, and now there aren't....it never says what those good reasons were, or how they changed.

Let's pick out the parts where you could, even arguably, claim you posted bases for "old marriage" sanctioning:

"I support the older view of marriage, however, if the new view is flavor that wins the day then I don't see how you outlaw other forms of marriage..."

"if the old view is archaic/obsolete then the question is required, "why do we nee a social institution of marriage, let alone a gov't backed one". The newer understanding of marriage doesn't provide a strong rationale for either. "

Generic, baseless claims that a) the definition has changed, without listing how, and b) good reasons for gov't sanctioning no longer apply, again without even saying how.

So it HAS to be this:

"On the older understanding, society and, to a lesser extent, the government needed to shape sexual behavior—specifically, the type of sexual behavior that often gives rise to children—to promote the well-being of those children. "

Is that it? The sole GOOD REASON for government sanctioning of "old marriage" was to "shape sexual behavior," and now that reason is lost with SSM?

Is that what you are claiming was the bases for sanctioning of marriage? One reason? Procreation? No other reasons, like stability, shared responsibility, clear ownership/estate delineation, ability to handle stressful situations, happiness, cheaper for government, better health/longer life, etc.

So, in all of this, including pretending I "libeled" you, you wanted to point back to the same article you've posted a handful of times, that says nothing?

Again, let's repeat your contention, in the simplest of terms:

Old Marriage = Good, Government should support (for procreation only? for other, refused-to-be-named reasons?)
New Marrage = Bad, Government should not support (still for procreation reasons?)

I may be wrong, but nothing you posted here would prove that case.

Of course not, and he can't find that in the legislation, because they CLEARLY didn't intend for it to be solely "for/about Blacks", because they could have, and didn't, write anything even remotely close to that in to the law.

I would just like to note that SSM is still shaping sexual behavior to the extent anyone cares to hang there hat there.

I would just like to note that SSM is still shaping sexual behavior to the extent anyone cares to hang there hat there.

Of course it is. Although "shaping sexual behavior" could mean a few things, and Phantom appears to mean it as procreation, there are other behaviors gov't would like to further.

P-V isn't a legitimate one for really any other reason.

Monogamy is a good one. Promoting stability, safety, and leaving the maximum amount of partners for the rest.

I wish I could find it again, but there was a statistical analysis done by one of the big dating websites that, basically, debunked all the sexual stereotypes about gays. Such as them having sex with lots of partners all over the place.

And although P-B doesn't directly lead to procreation, statistically it hasn't slowed it down, and SSM couples do their share of child-rearing. It simply isn't a valid concern anymore.

Reactions: naturalmwa
This is why, in this debate over sanctioning of marriage, it is important to get down to basics:

Why should government sanction marriage?

Obviously, if one agreed that we should sanction it........up until the time SSM is "added", then they should have a pretty obvious reason for changing their mind. Gender, or sexual orientation itself, doesn't seem like a logical one.

To put it another way: If the issue was JUST gender/s.o. on its own, it would not change any aspect of previous marriage, therefore those things must carry inherent aspects that change the equation.

Using the most commonly spewed one, procreation, it would be the idea that homosexuality does not, on its own, lead to procreation. It isn't the homosexuality itself, it is the result of the act of sex. Another popular one is the detrimental raising of children, in such that it isn't the homosexuality, but the gender roles missing (i.e. mother, or father), that are necessary to a proper upbringing.

But, in all of this, it is vital to know what the original bases for sanctioning marriage were. Looks like we have one so far: Procreation. Hopefully Phantom will post some others so we can actually discuss them.

This is from the Family Research Council, and as you will read, Netherlands, Canada, and Sweden allow SSM, and have lower birthrates, THEREFORE the end of manking is nigh.

7. Same-sex "marriage" would further isolate marriage from its procreative purpose.

Traditionally, marriage and procreation have been tightly connected to one another. Indeed, from a sociological perspective, the primary purpose that marriage serves is to secure a mother and father for each child who is born into a society. Now, however, many Westerners see marriage in primarily emotional terms.

Among other things, the danger with this mentality is that it fosters an anti-natalist mindset that fuels population decline, which in turn puts tremendous social, political, and economic strains on the larger society. Same-sex marriage would only further undercut the procreative norm long associated with marriage insofar as it establishes that there is no necessary link between procreation and marriage.

This was spelled out in the Goodridge decision in Massachusetts, where the majority opinion dismissed the procreative meaning of marriage. It is no accident that the countries that have legalized or are considering legalizing same-sex marriage have some of the lowest fertility rates in the world. For instance, the Netherlands, Sweden, and Canada have birthrates that hover around 1.6 children per woman--well below the replacement fertility rate of 2.1.

For national fertility rates, see: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sw.html

For more on the growing disconnect between marriage and procreation, see:http://marriage.rutgers.edu/Publications/SOOU/SOOU2003.pdf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT