ADVERTISEMENT

ALEX APPRECIATION TO A HAWKEYE GREAT!!

fufighters

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2009
Unfortunately bad journalism and their parrot fans who love someones failure have become a staple on every wrestling forum.
So many wrestlers have and are experiencing what Alex has by not winning a national title..Hidley, Massa, Seabass, Deacon, Redd and many more. Yet they focus on Alex because of their hatred for Iowa and pleasure because a Hawkeye lost.
I cant imagine the weight Alex has carried on those broad shoulders since he came to Iowa, the disappointment of not getting the title.
The loss and tragedy of losing someone like Eli, the constant reminder everytime you put on a singlet of him.
Injuries/second guessing and wear on both body and mind may make you walk away..if so I say thanks for being a great representative both on and off the mat and coming to Iowa.

Unfortunately bad journalism and their parrot fans who love someones failure have become a staple on every wrestling forum.
So many wrestlers have and are experiencing what Alex has by not winning a national title..Hidley, Massa, Seabass, Deacon, Redd and many more. Yet they focus on Alex because of their hatred for Iowa and pleasure because a Hawkeye lost.
I cant imagine the weight Alex has carried on those broad shoulders since he came to Iowa, the disappointment of not getting the title.
The loss and tragedy of losing someone like Eli, the constant reminder everytime you put on a singlet of him.
Injuries/second guessing and wear on both body and mind may make you walk away..if so I say thanks for being a great representative both on and off the mat and coming to Iowa.

IIRC. Alex wears a "Jesus Trained" shirt quite a bit. I would think he has his head on right.

Disappointed, but that's life and you move on. He will be fine.

There is a book out called "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". Sometimes life seems to be an obstacle course that is really mad at you and doesn't want you to counquer it. Gotta keep on keeping on.

Alex is hardly a quitter as some seem to have posted.

IIRC. Alex wears a "Jesus Trained" shirt quite a bit. I would think he has his head on right.

Disappointed, but that's life and you move on. He will be fine.

There is a book out called "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". Sometimes life seems to be an obstacle course that is really mad at you and doesn't want you to counquer it. Gotta keep on keeping on.

Alex is hardly a quitter as some seem to have posted.

My favorite reminder of disappointment and GETTING BACK UP.... Dan Gable losing his final match in college. Without that loss, he says he would have never been an Olympic champ.

Life is filled with many levels of disappointment. Alex just had one of the biggest you can imagine AND on the national stage.

You can let disappointment break you or become stronger. I'm confident that Alex will do the latter. If not on the mat...he's damn well going to be stronger in LIFE!!

Thanks for the memories Alex. Selfishly we hope to see more of you in a HAWKEYE singlet, but thank you either way!

Title or no title, Bull he is still one of my favorite Hawks! He has raised the bar with some matches he has wrestled like the epic matches with Cenzo, his qualities as a person as well as a Student/athlete are and will be incredibly hard to surpass. If he comes back to chase the title once again he will have my unwavering support, if he moves on he will also!

I am here to apologize to AM and this board for judging him after yesterday’s loss. As always I should have taken the time to learn what was really going on.
Good of you to say this, some people have an extremely hard time admitting they are wrong. You were not completely wrong with your statement he needed to finish the shots and not rely on inconsistent refs to make the correct calls. Alex understands this more than we could ever have.

Good of you to say this, some people have an extremely hard time admitting they are wrong. You were not completely wrong with your statement he needed to finish the shots and not rely on inconsistent refs to make the correct calls. Alex understands this more than we could ever have.
THIS

For those of us who share the same faith as Alex does, I think we need to be praying for him. I know he has a good head on his shoulders, but I can't imagine how disappointing this is for him. I know he has the support from every Hawk fan (or better have), a wife, the coaching staff, and his mates. No matter the circumstance and reason for this year's disappointment he needs our prayers. God has allowed this to happen and I don't care who you are, this one would sting, and on such a public stage it would be even worse, but He has a plan for Alex. Right now Alex might not know why this has happened but given enough time and the prayer support from his brothers and sisters in Christ can't do anything but help.

Alex was the first one to greet Desanto and give him a hug after AD won third. I am guessing he had a rib issue. Iirc, he has been wrestling on a torn ACL for the past few years. While Lee is the Mercedes in the garage, Bull has always been our engine. I selfishly want him back in a Hawk singlet but here is hoping he recovers and does what is best for him and Moriah.

Great wrestler, great person, great Hawkeye. 3x Big Ten Champ. That is rare air. Goes to show you can have a storied career and be a team leader even without an NCAA championship. I hope he comes back next year and puts the bow on things with a 4th Big Ten Title and an NCAA title. Even if he doesn’t, our program was richer for having him (and Moriah too). Thank you Alex! Godspeed in your recovery. Hawk fans will still be cheering you on next year no matter where your journey takes you!

The bull will always be a favorite of my family and myself. A great ambassador for the sport and Iowa wrestling. My kids loved the generosity and energy he shared with my kids in the annual autograph lines at carver. No matter the choice you make bull, thanks for being a hawk!!!

The Bull and that number 1 recruiting class brought the Hawks back to the top. Congratulations.

Title or no title, Bull he is still one of my favorite Hawks! He has raised the bar with some matches he has wrestled like the epic matches with Cenzo, his qualities as a person as well as a Student/athlete are and will be incredibly hard to surpass. If he comes back to chase the title once again he will have my unwavering support, if he moves on he will also!

Well said.

Reactions: Grip220
I realize that Alex probably won't ever read this, but this is my letter to him;

Alex,
My son and I were thrilled to meet you and take pictures with you in Madison Square Garden at the 2015 NCAA tournament. As we told you then, we were looking forward to seeing you in Black & Gold.
In the six years since then, we have both become bigger fans all the time.
You have proven time and time again that you were a leader and a superstar. You have struggled through unspoken injury(ies) and setbacks. You have received the worst treatment a number one seed ever got from a seeding committee, yet you have always been a true warrior, never complaining or making excuses.
You have taken on all comers, and beat the very best of them. You have encouraged and lead your teammates to the pinnacle of NCAA wrestling selflessly. You are an inspiration to young wrestlers all over the country.
We selfishly want to see you in the Black & Gold singlet for another year, but if you are considering hanging it up, we will respect whatever you do. You need to do whatever is best for you, your family, and your health, whatever that might be.
As a brother in Christ, we will pray for you in all you do, and will always appreciate all you have helped make the Iowa program this past six years.
Thanks for the memories and hopes for more.

I realize that Alex probably won't ever read this, but this is my letter to him;

Alex,
My son and I were thrilled to meet you and take pictures with you in Madison Square Garden at the 2015 NCAA tournament. As we told you then, we were looking forward to seeing you in Black & Gold.
In the six years since then, we have both become bigger fans all the time.
You have proven time and time again that you were a leader and a superstar. You have struggled through unspoken injury(ies) and setbacks. You have received the worst treatment a number one seed ever got from a seeding committee, yet you have always been a true warrior, never complaining or making excuses.
You have taken on all comers, and beat the very best of them. You have encouraged and lead your teammates to the pinnacle of NCAA wrestling selflessly. You are an inspiration to young wrestlers all over the country.
We selfishly want to see you in the Black & Gold singlet for another year, but if you are considering hanging it up, we will respect whatever you do. You need to do whatever is best for you, your family, and your health, whatever that might be.
As a brother in Christ, we will pray for you in all you do, and will always appreciate all you have helped make the Iowa program this past six years.
Thanks for the memories and hopes for more.
Alex will be receiving your note.

I'm the conductor of the Bull Train. Love Alex. he will undoubtedly be one of my favorite hawks. maybe my #1 favorite.

but can you tell me what the OP refers to by media focusing on him this weekend. kinda been outta the loop on some things.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
I'm the conductor of the Bull Train. Love Alex. he will undoubtedly be one of my favorite hawks. maybe my #1 favorite.

but can you tell me what the OP refers to by media focusing on him this weekend. kinda been outta the loop on some things.

A rumor got floated that he broke his hand punching a wall in anger after he dropped his quarters match. I believe some “wrestling journalist” tweeted it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT