ADVERTISEMENT

All the teams that have made a Sweet 16 since Iowa was last there....

Powerhouses like Davidson, Florida Gulf Coast, LaSalle and UW Milwaukee. And don't forget Cornell and St. Peters! How is Fran supposed to compete against teams like that? Hawk fans have unrealistic expectations! We need to just shut up and be happy. Because....... Lickliter!!!!!

It's only 95 teams. Iowa isn't a blue blood you know, and never will be.

9 of the 14 big ten teams made the list. Iowa is in good company with Nebraska, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Northwestern by not making the list.

List current through March 2022:

Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
Auburn
Baylor
Boston College
Bradley
Butler
BYU
Cincinnati
Clemson
Connecticut
Cornell
Creighton
Davidson
Dayton
Duke
Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
Florida St
George Mason
Georgetown
Georgia Tech
Gonzaga
Houston
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas St
Kent State
Kentucky
La Salle
Louisville
Loyola-Chicago
LSU
Marquette
Maryland
Memphis
Miami-FL
Michigan
Michigan State
Missouri
NC State
Nevada
North Carolina
Northern Iowa
Notre Dame
Ohio
Ohio St
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Ole Miss
Oral Roberts
Oregon
Oregon St
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Providence
Purdue
Richmond
Saint Joseph's
Saint Mary's
Saint Peter's
San Diego St
Seton Hall
South Carolina
Southern Illinois
Stanford
Syracuse
Temple
Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Tulsa
UAB
UCLA
UNLV
USC
Utah
UW-Milwaukee
Vanderbilt
VCU
Villanova
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Washington
Washington St
West Virginia
Western Kentucky
Wichita St
Wisconsin
Xavier
...and there you have it.

• Sad
Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Wow!! Those facts are incredible! Not even to mention embarrassing. How can this be acceptable to Barta, the president and the BOR?

Reactions: skydog0784
Apparently Frans accomplishments are all you need for a life long contract. That is how low expectations are at Iowa. If you look at his actual accomplishments they are pretty bad. I think he's only made the semi-final of the big ten tournament once or twice. And I think he has NEVER finished higher than 3rd in the regular season conference standings. And as we see, zero sweet 16 appearances.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
In the five power conferences (Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 12), of the 65 combined teams, 54 (83%) have made it to a Sweet 16 in the 21st century. Iowa is one of 11 programs that haven’t made it.
And many here disagree with me that we have an absolute pathetic b-ball program.

It'll be insanity if there are no changes in Fran's staff. He HAS to shake some things up.

Get new ideas on how to get a mediocre defense and some guards like EVERY quality tournament team has.

Need injection of "talent" between the players ears too....

And many here disagree with me that we have an absolute pathetic b-ball program.

Calling them pathetic is a emotional name calling (and I've called them that a few times this year)

Best word to describe the men's program is "stale". The RESULTS are stale. There have been great moments and I loved watching Garza, but the RESULTS at the NCAA are what matter.

Some point out the great consistency of making the tournament, but that just makes fans more pissed, because winning 2 games has become an impossible hurdle.

High watermarks are important and fans would be much more forgiving, if Iowa made the sweet 16 once in the last couple years. I'd trade a sweet 16 for a losing season the next.... Just to know that it's possible to reach the second weekend with Fran

9 of the 14 big ten teams made the list. Iowa is in good company with Nebraska, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Northwestern by not making the list.

List current through March 2022:

Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
Auburn
Baylor
Boston College
Bradley
Butler
BYU
Cincinnati
Clemson
Connecticut
Cornell
Creighton
Davidson
Dayton
Duke
Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
Florida St
George Mason
Georgetown
Georgia Tech
Gonzaga
Houston
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas St
Kent State
Kentucky
La Salle
Louisville
Loyola-Chicago
LSU
Marquette
Maryland
Memphis
Miami-FL
Michigan
Michigan State
Missouri
NC State
Nevada
North Carolina
Northern Iowa
Notre Dame
Ohio
Ohio St
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Ole Miss
Oral Roberts
Oregon
Oregon St
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Providence
Purdue
Richmond
Saint Joseph's
Saint Mary's
Saint Peter's
San Diego St
Seton Hall
South Carolina
Southern Illinois
Stanford
Syracuse
Temple
Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Tulsa
UAB
UCLA
UNLV
USC
Utah
UW-Milwaukee
Vanderbilt
VCU
Villanova
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Washington
Washington St
West Virginia
Western Kentucky
Wichita St
Wisconsin
Xavier
Add Florida Atlantic and Princeton...the list keeps growing.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
You folks are just being too hard on Fran. After all it has only been 13 years since he inherited the Lickliter mess (10-22, 4-14). It’s not like he inherited a program that went 2-22, 0-18 before making the Sweet 16 the next year.

You folks are just being too hard on Fran. After all it has only been 13 years since he inherited the Lickliter mess (10-22, 4-14). It’s not like he inherited a program that went 2-22, 0-18 before making the Sweet 16 the next year.
And remember what happened when they ran Tom Davis out of town! This is just Iowa. Can't recruit here. We are not a blue blood and never will be. Fran has made the tournament 4 years in a row! If he gets fired, the program will go back to being as bad as it was under Lickliter. Name the coaches who would come here.

Fran just needs more time to get the players he needs.

In the five power conferences (Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 12), of the 65 combined teams, 54 (83%) have made it to a Sweet 16 in the 21st century. Iowa is one of 11 programs that haven’t made it.
Also realize TCU and Rutgers haven't been in one the major 5 for much of that time. If you discount that make it 54 for 63 and 85%.

And remember what happened when they ran Tom Davis out of town! This is just Iowa. Can't recruit here. We are not a blue blood and never will be. Fran has made the tournament 4 years in a row! If he gets fired, the program will go back to being as bad as it was under Lickliter. Name the coaches who would come here.

Fran just needs more time to get the players he needs.
First off, if you can’t recruit here, why give him more time? Second, why can’t you recruit here? It’s the Big 10, mega money available, decent facilities, a “patient” AD and fan base, etc. if you can recruit to Creighton, K State, UConn, - Those aren’t exactly hotbeds of basketball talent or fashionable locations. Maybe it’s come down to coaching. Fran just doesn’t have it. Iowa makes the tournament, OK, at least I know I will have one pick right in my pool when I pick them to lose in the first round.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Second, why can’t you recruit here? It’s the Big 10, mega money available, decent facilities, a “patient” AD and fan base, etc.
200w.gif

Looks like someone else took my idea! I will be updating this list pretty soon. About 10 days to be exact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT