ADVERTISEMENT

All these big sports contracts (possible get off my lawn thread)

I get more upset with owners than i do the players. The money is absurd, but I can at least appreciate the players having a finite opportunity to max out their earnings potential. Can’t think of the last time a pro franchise especially made a decision for their club that even looked like it had the fans in mind.

I’ve been a Chicago sports fan all my life. I’m not sure the next time I attend a game in Chicago for any sport will be. Just getting too expensive.

That’s why I like college sports. There’s a purity about it and you don’t have all the money issues messing everything up. Just student-athletes playing for the love of the game.

Well done, sir. :)

255361.png

Fully guaranteed contracts were players also act like playing is doing the fans a favor is the problem.

Guys like Kyrie Irving turn fans off. Paid but don’t play.

Durant is pushing it but owners can trade players so players should also be able to request trades.

I don’t think the nfl really has a problem. I think the nba has big problems. The next CBA the owners will attempt to take back some control.

I put it into context. The best players in a sport making 40 million a year.

A defense contractor wins a bid to make missiles that are 5 million dollars each.

Which one gives us more joy

I don't give a sh!t what they get paid, I still watch all the time
Yeah, I gave up on the "purity" of sports a long time ago.

Now I view it as something fun to bet on for pro sports and Iowa sports as a great reason to go and hang out with friends in Iowa City.

I feel bad for Tom Brady and Giselle having to parent their kids with all that money, it’s so difficult. Give me a break and cry me a river, Tom.

Never really liked pro sports for the “purity” reason that I liked college sports. But even that is starting to rub me the wrong way. Conference realignment will end up nationalizing it when college sports are a naturally regional thing. And then you have no-rules NIL which is a mess in its own right.

For golf, you have the LIV stuff all of a sudden.

I’d care less about it if tickets and concessions went down in price but that’s a laughable notion.

Reactions: TheCainer
Never really liked pro sports for the “purity” reason that I liked college sports. But even that is starting to rub me the wrong way. Conference realignment will end up nationalizing it when college sports are a naturally regional thing. And then you have no-rules NIL which is a mess in its own right.

I’d care less about it if tickets and concessions went down in price but that’s a laughable notion.

What’s weird tho is that many pro leagues are turning regional with all the RSNs out there the last 20 years.

The regional vs national sports argument doesn’t really move me any more. People are far too mobile and move around too much.

It’s insane to think how that relates to what our society values.

We will pay some dude hundreds of millions because he can run fast. Yet we pay teachers poverty wages.
We pay them insane wages because society adores them and most of you go watch them. If stadiums were empty, wages would instantly reset.

Juan Soto just walked away from the largest contract offer in MLB history ($440M/15) to test the free agent market. I love the guy as a player, and it's a shame he's got no protection in the lineup, but his .901 OPS is the only statistical category in which he is currently in the top ten

My opinion is the guaranteed contracts in the NBA and MLB are ridiculous. Frankly I rarely watch professional sports at all anymore, but read about enough of these spoiled athletes pouting their way to a trade, or simply sucking and getting a buyout.

Juan Soto just walked away from the largest contract offer in MLB history ($440M/15) to test the free agent market. I love the guy as a player, and it's a shame he's got no protection in the lineup, but his .901 OPS is the only statistical category in which he is currently in the top ten

My opinion is the guaranteed contracts in the NBA and MLB are ridiculous. Frankly I rarely watch professional sports at all anymore, but read about enough of these spoiled athletes pouting their way to a trade, or simply sucking and getting a buyout.
I think these opinions are a little funny. There’s such a different context to sports. I can’t compare contract work to general at-will employees, but people leave contracted positions all the time. My wife (no pic) left her medical practice when she got fed up with stuff and she dealt with the non-compete language in her contract. If she was a pro athlete, some would say she was selfish and pouting to join a different team.

Seeing how things are ran at all levels (AAU, USSSA, high school, college, pros), I’m starting to turn away from all competitive sports. I still watch, but not nearly as much as I did years ago.
Consider converting to hockey. I mean, at least the players still play when they get a blister, no matter how well paid they are. Some even play with multiple broken bones.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I get more upset with owners than i do the players. The money is absurd, but I can at least appreciate the players having a finite opportunity to max out their earnings potential. Can’t think of the last time a pro franchise especially made a decision for their club that even looked like it had the fans in mind.

I’ve been a Chicago sports fan all my life. I’m not sure the next time I attend a game in Chicago for any sport will be. Just getting too expensive.
Was at the Chicago Fire game this weekend when they beat Seattle Sounders. $25 for the cheapest (AKA "a mile away") parking. At least you can get second deck tickets for $20 or even less. Can't imagine taking your kids to a Bears game. Ouch. The White Sox Family Sundays are about the only decent deal for the major sports.

Well yeah, with no protection (or guys on base), it becomes very difficult to hit top 10 in most statistical categories.

Doesn't matter which sport it is turning me away from caring about the games. I am all for the athletes getting what they can, but for whatever reason there is no longer a great need to care about pro sports for me.

Anyone else think this way?
I've been that way for quite a few years. And I'm losing my love of college sports. Other than college wrestling and baseball, if Iowa isn't playing, I don't watch.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Was at the Chicago Fire game this weekend when they beat Seattle Sounders. $25 for the cheapest (AKA "a mile away") parking. At least you can get second deck tickets for $20 or even less. Can't imagine taking your kids to a Bears game. Ouch. The White Sox Family Sundays are about the only decent deal for the major sports.

Just for a single ticket to a cubs game, I figure all costs combine probably amount to $300 minimum to drive from DSM, get a hotel, gas, food and the ticket itself.

• Sad
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The Rockies still sell $4 day of game rockpile tix ($1 for seniors) that we snag and either hang out in standing room area behind homeplate, go to rooftop social area, or just find a section where usher isn't paying attention. And they let you bring your own food and non alcoholic drinks in a sealed non glass container. That has to be the best deal in pro sports

The Rockies still sell $4 day of game rockpile tix ($1 for seniors) that we snag and either hang out in standing room area behind homeplate, go to rooftop social area, or just find a section where usher isn't paying attention. And they let you bring your own food and non alcoholic drinks in a sealed non glass container. That has to be the best deal in pro sports
Where do you buy Rockpile tix these days?
I used to go down 30 min before the game and get great seats from scalpers. Now everything is automated and online and you can’t do that as easily. Kinda miss those days.

• Sad
Reactions: TheCainer
Once I got interested in college sports my interest in pro sports started to wane a bit. I would attend a Cub game now and again when my kids were younger, but no more since the change in ownership, although I did appreciate the WS win finally. Most pro sports have priced a lot of working class families out of their market. I still watch on occasion but I’m far more a fan of college sports and I don’t see that changing.

Doesn't matter which sport it is turning me away from caring about the games. I am all for the athletes getting what they can, but for whatever reason there is no longer a great need to care about pro sports for me.

Anyone else think this way?
I’m turning more to the pros and away from paid mediocre college athletes. College athletics are being ruined for me.

Like everything else money has ruined sports. Even the college game is heading down a dark path. I find myself less and less interested anymore, and that’s sad because it’s always been a huge part of my life.
Same. It took all of a year to cut my interest in Iowa sports about 90%. I barely glance at the Lounge. It used to be the first thing I did. Other than Proctor I can’t name a single commit.

We go to a couple Red Stars game each year. Easier everything attending those. Very good seats for $20.

Same. It took all of a year to cut my interest in Iowa sports about 90%. I barely glance at the Lounge. It used to be the first thing I did. Other than Proctor I can’t name a single commit.
It is getting close to the point where if you want to root for true student atlhletes, find a local DIII college near you. No athletic scholarships but they do recruit the best players they can. The games won't be on television of course. On the other hand it is pure college football and basketball.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I MUCH prefer the game experience at SeatGeek Stadium to that of Soldier Field.
I enjoy watching the women play. Though we have decided we are going to be Sporting KC fans with my daughter living in KC. We’re going to a game there in a couple weeks.

I enjoy watching the women play. Though we have decided we are going to be Sporting KC fans with my daughter living in KC. We’re going to a game there in a couple weeks.
Chose an organization in even worse shape than the Fire, eh? 😉

Good stadium, just not quite the same level of atmosphere, or fan pageantry, as Chicago at its best. Thierry Henry knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT