ADVERTISEMENT

All time worst calls?

I still can't believe that was something that could be changed upon review. Talk about f***ing with the game.
What made it worse was when they met with reporters the following week and admitted you couldn’t see it from field level, but from sky cam it was obvious.

How can you overturn a call that two different angles tell you two different things, and no one on the field saw what you saw from above?

Ken Koester. First name that came to mind.
He also called Jack Campbell out of bounds and stopped the pick six at Minnesota in 22. The only problem was Jack Campbell never stepped out of bounds during the return. He came close but never did. In doing that tells me he is a terrible ref. You never stop a play, let it play out and fix it after the fact. I hate that guy.

What made it worse was when they met with reporters the following week and admitted you couldn’t see it from field level, but from sky cam it was obvious.

How can you overturn a call that two different angles tell you two different things, and no one on the field saw what you saw from above?
Look at the positive, that loss led to Brian being fired immediately so that everyone knew he wouldn’t be back as OC. I’ll take that it still sucks for the Hawks and CDJ as one of his Heisman type plays.

• Sad
Reactions: sober_teacher
I loved Chris Speilman after this game, he called it absolutely straight. As I recall Iowa fans ran into the refs at the hotel after the game, politely disagreed with their calls
Yes, they were at our Courtyard just down the street from the stadium. Gave them a rash of shiat the entire entire evening. They were drinking wine in the conference room off the lobby area. Went in and told them not to watch ESPN as they were excoriating their officiating during the game. They closed the doors to the conference room after that. LoL. That screw job by those officials led to only P5 officials being used for all P5 bowl games.

Look at the positive, that loss led to Brian being fired immediately so that everyone knew he wouldn’t be back as OC. I’ll take that it still sucks for the Hawks and CDJ as one of his Heisman type plays.
Brian was gone regardless.

It just proved, AGAIN, what an incompetent collection of officials the BIG contracts for their sports yearly.

And I get it, it’s not an easy job with the size and speed of the athletes today. But at least utilize the replay option and get it right. To have the ability to correct………….and still FOOCK it up! 🙄

Last edited:
Brian was gone regardless.

It just proved, AGAIN, what an incompetent collection of officials the BIG contracts for their sports yearly.

And I get it, it’s not an easy job with the size and speed of the athletes today. But at least utilize the replay option and get it right. To have ability to correct………….and still FOOCK it up! 🙄
BF was likely gone regardless, but making the decision at that point took alot of the toxicity out of the air and people stopped bringing up the drive to 325.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Surely, someone can think of at least one call from......

636035157370859664-USATSI-6848388.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 4IUSox2
Surely, someone can think of at least one call from......

636035157370859664-USATSI-6848388.jpg
I forget who the officials were, but the worst men's game I can think of was the b10 quarterfinals vs Sparty in Gesell's/Woodbury freshman year - win probably got Iowa into the ncaa tourney that year. Iowa had a double digit lead and then Sparty was basically allowed to manhandle Iowa in the 2nd half. Some of the no-calls were really bad.

Reactions: Madman_1
I forget who the officials were, but the worst men's game I can think of was the b10 quarterfinals vs Sparty in Gesell's/Woodbury freshman year - win probably got Iowa into the ncaa tourney that year. Iowa had a double digit lead and then Sparty was basically allowed to manhandle Iowa in the 2nd half. Some of the no-calls were really bad.
Lol, not sure if you mean the whole crew or just the other two guys since you replied to a picture of Ted Valentine, but that WAS a Teddy V game. Shocking I know.... I remember McCabe getting drug down the court in what was almost a literal headlock and McCaffrey whipping his jacket at the scorers table as they went by.

As for a series of continuous one sided calls in my lifetime it was the closest counterpart in basketball to the infamous Outback Bowl referenced many times above.

Lol, not sure if you mean the whole crew or just the other two guys since you replied to a picture of Ted Valentine, but that WAS a Teddy V game. Shocking I know.... I remember McCabe getting drug down the court in what was almost a literal headlock and McCaffrey whipping his jacket at the scorers table as they went by.

As for a series of continuous one sided calls in my lifetime it was the closest counterpart in basketball to the infamous Outback Bowl referenced many times above.
Yeah I meant the whole crew…even TV Teddy couldn’t have accomplished that on his own.

Like you, it’s one of the few basketball games I can think of where officiating impacted the game in such a one-sided manner.

As mad as I can be with individual calls, the truth is that normally they often balance themselves out in the end. Very few games imo have been swung by officiating imo to the extent that fans like to think.

Reactions: PNWHawk
Yeah I meant the whole crew…even TV Teddy couldn’t have accomplished that on his own.

Like you, it’s one of the few basketball games I can think of where officiating impacted the game in such a one-sided manner.

As mad as I can be with individual calls, the truth is that normally they often balance themselves out in the end. Very few games imo have been swung by officiating imo to the extent that fans like to think.
Not sure they balance out but I do know the timing of the calls have major implications on the outcome of games. Especially when the game has been played in the squared circle, also known as the RAC, on an Anniversary of Chris Streets death where everything was allowed throughout the game until Keegan’s jersey brushed up against R Harper with 1.9 seconds left 25’ away from the basket and a foul was called.

Yep, it definitely impacted the outcome. Some bad calls might do it, might not. But it would have been pretty damn hard to blow that game without that much help from Teddy and the gang.

So deflating due to the buildup of the season. A young team with a coach just getting his first real recruiting classes going and actually making post season play and really playing better til the end that year. And remember that was the team that made the NIT finals. For all we know that could have actually been a team that made it out of the first weekend of the tournament if they didn't get bubbled out, largely due to that MSU bubble game.

#9 Iowa at Hawaii in 1988. A phantom holding call erases a go ahead touchdown for the Hawks with 40 seconds left. Fry vowed to never play there again
Not sure why anyone would play @ Hawaii. Talk about the ultimate distraction for your players.

I’ve never been more pissed at officiating than I was that day. I can’t remember which Nebraska game, but there was a game at Lincoln that I was convinced the officials had money on Nebraska. Iowa still won, but the officials did everything they could to swing it to Nebraska.
I was a teenager when I went to my first bowl game down in Tampa for the Outback Bowl robbery in 2006. I don’t think anything compares. But to your Nebraska game comment, if it’s 2019, which I almost think it has to be, that game was the only other time watching an iowa sporting event, where I could be convinced that something nefarious was going on. And i think it was all in the fourth quarter. There was a horse collar overturned, I think a Nico catch they overturned, and then the worst was the targeting on an ISM catch across the middle. Duncan made the game winner shortly after, but that game is still number two in my book for bad refs.

Like I said.

You saw a number of unusual road trips back then.
Yes, it was more common for non-con road games (other than ISU). But a trip to Hawaii is a hell of a lot different than going to KC to play a season opener against KState, or Chicago to play NIU or even Tucson. The sheer time and distance of the trip alone is enough, but then you throw in the fact that they're in paradise and that makes it a bit harder to focus.

Yes, it was more common for non-con road games (other than ISU). But a trip to Hawaii is a hell of a lot different than going to KC to play a season opener against KState, or Chicago to play NIU or even Tucson. The sheer time and distance of the trip alone is enough, but then you throw in the fact that they're in paradise and that makes it a bit harder to focus.
IIRC those trips to Hawaii permitted schools to play a 12th game during the regular season, so it was pretty common to see UH play a major conference opponent to end the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT