ADVERTISEMENT

Alleys . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
I live in an older neighborhood that has lots of alleys. Sometimes, when I walk the dogs, I choose to take them through the alleys just for a change of pace --- plus I like to see other people's backyard setups to get ideas for my own.

I have noticed that once in awhile people seem offended or irritated that I am walking in the alley instead of out front on the sidewalk next to the street. It seems they view the alley more like part of their backyard or garage area than public infrastructure accessible to anyone.

So I am curious what others think about alleys. Is it "rude" for me to walk my dogs through them even though it is obviously legal? Am I violating an unspoken rule of neighborhoods with alleys? If you have an alley, are you irritated if a non-neighbor uses it?

No, I grew up in a small town in Iowa with alleys, my parents still live there. We walk up and down the alley's more then in front of houses if your walking to the store or one of the bars/restaurants. Never any traffic on them and it's just easy to get around. It's normal I think.

In college I lived in a house that backed up to an alley. I could kind of see how someone could get annoyed. It really isn’t a public space in the sense that it isn’t a thoroughfare. People that live there probably get the sense that you’re only there to snoop.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry what the Karens and Chads of the world think about where I walk so long as I'm not on their private property.

Reactions: torbee
I live in an older neighborhood that has lots of alleys. Sometimes, when I walk the dogs, I choose to take them through the alleys just for a change of pace --- plus I like to see other people's backyard setups to get ideas for my own.

I have noticed that once in awhile people seem offended or irritated that I am walking in the alley instead of out front on the sidewalk next to the street. It seems they view the alley more like part of their backyard or garage area than public infrastructure accessible to anyone.

So I am curious what others think about alleys. Is it "rude" for me to walk my dogs through them even though it is obviously legal? Am I violating an unspoken rule of neighborhoods with alleys? If you have an alley, are you irritated if a non-neighbor uses it?
I've always felt like alleys were just supposed to be used as access points to the back of my house and not through-ways. Usually bc my alleys were never really short cuts and were usually pretty narrow.

People walking through never bothered me, but there was always 1 person that didn't live on the block that would drive through every day and for some reason that irritated me.

In my Denver neighborhood, we've had a lot of garage break-ins and petty theft over the last few years, so I always assume any turd walking through or hanging out in the alley is up to no good.

Last edited:

You probably missed the “Please stop fapping in our alley Torbee” graffiti.

Also, if you send the police your height, waist, & weight dimensions they can ensure they have enough white tape on hand for their future investigation.

Reactions: McLovin32
You probably missed the “Please stop fapping in our alley Torbee” graffiti.

Also, if you send the police your height, waist, & weight dimensions they can ensure they have enough white tape on hand for their future investigation.
giphy.gif

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
At one of my houses, it’s assumed that you’re looking to find an easy house to break into if you’re in the alley

Reactions: GlenHawk
Alleys are highly valued in Chicago, I get several people an hour walking through the alley where I live. Mix of residents and just passing through.

I usually stick with the sidewalks to avoid trash smells, but I'll sometimes go down neighborhood alleys just to see what various back porch/balconies look like.

At one time in East Davenport there was a certain charm
to alleys. It was a place where garbage trucks traveled to
pick up your trash once a week. It was a place to extend
your basketball court when you had a hoop above your
garage door. Yes, alleys served many purposes in the past.

At one time in East Davenport there was a certain charm
to alleys. It was a place where garbage trucks traveled to
pick up your trash once a week. It was a place to extend
your basketball court when you had a hoop above your
garage door. Yes, alleys served many purposes in the past.
Lute, they serve the same purposes today!

I know. I was there.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
Minneapolis used to have an ordinance banning 'lurking' in alleys. Lurking was when you drove or walked down an alley you didn't live on. It was repealed in 2015 because it encouraged racial profiling by the MPD. (It didn't stop them but that's a whole 'nother thread.)

To answer your question: I'm suspicious of anyone in 'my' alley I don't recognize. It comes from 40 years of experience dealing with graffiti and car and garage break ins (maybe 10 instances of all three over that time).
Also had a guy step into my garage thru the door and start looking around as I was working inside. Once he spotted me he beat a hasty retreat.

So, yeah...

senior-man-knit-cap-shaking-fist-13284846.jpg

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

I've done that too and always felt a bit snoopy. Technically it's a public roadway, so I know I'm not in the wrong. I just don't think people are used to it.

I wouldn't say offended or irritated but I live across the street from a park where most people choose to walk so it is a bit unusual and the few people who do walk the alleys appear to be a little "off" or are scavengers since that's where most people leave their unwanted/goodwill stuff.

The only annoying part is that my dogs go apeshit since it's so rare someone is walking back there but it's temporary if they keep moving. I do appreciate that people have a place that's less visible to put all their junk when they are moving instead of out of the curb when there is no alley. I just put a bunch of stuff back there after some spring cleaning with a craigslist ad and most of it was gone in 24 hrs

Edit: I do think it's pretty disarming when the person has dogs, very few criminals bring their pup along when they are up to no good I'd bet

I've done that too and always felt a bit snoopy. Technically it's a public roadway, so I know I'm not in the wrong. I just don't think people are used to it.
Based on the responses here, it seems a lot has to do with the size of the community.

In small towns, no one cares and everyone does it.

In big cities, it is viewed as suspicious and you probably shouldn't do it.

So it's interesting here in Davenport/QC, as we are neither a small town nor a big city, hence why there seems to be more ambivalence.

Interesting discussion, thanks gents (and ladies, maybe)!

Reactions: Colonoscopy
It's because you look shady as ****.
I was all preppy and shit last night!

I had on a nice North Face gray fleece with a light long-sleeve tee with jaunty hood underneath, a pair of nice joggers and my Adidas sneakers, a pair of ray-ban sunglasses and was walking two recently groomed, gorgeous Goldendoodles. About as white bread middle aged middle class harmless white guy as you can get!

I was all preppy and shit last night!

I had on a nice North Face gray fleece with a light long-sleeve tee with jaunty hood underneath, a pair of nice joggers and my Adidas sneakers, a pair of ray-ban sunglasses and was walking two recently groomed, gorgeous Goldendoodles. About as white bread middle aged middle class harmless white guy as you can get!
Too clean cut, suspicious!

• Haha
Some people definitely feel they are essentially a private shared driveway.

In my view, they are public city streets. The city is just too cheap to pave/maintain them.

It's not your presence that weirds them out. It's the fact you have no pants on.

"Alleys" are the Main Street of America.......some folks just dont want the truth to be revealed.

It's their problem, OP, not yours. And I'm going to use this thread as an excuse to post some great music:

I don't mind people walking or driving in my alley.
Wat I do mind is someone using it as a shortcut and driving to fast.
Kids in back yards can pop out into an alley chasing a ball, fooling around chasing someone
and get run over. Alleys are not the typical roadway but some think so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT