ADVERTISEMENT

Alone Season 11

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
It's been a very interesting start. Damn they are the catching a ton of huge pike. From the previews they show, it looks like Dub gets a moose kill. My money is on Dub winning it.

I’m watching previous season currently on Netflix. I still can’t get over how crafty and genius some people can be with such limited resources. I mean, crafting a fishing pole, sure; building a fuking floating and legit looking canoe…..amazing.

I also think fishing is the best method to stay in the game. Seems like a lot of contestants want to hunt but fishing is where the good, fat meat is. I would be fishing day one and catching/smoking as much as I could

Never heard of it, but you had me at catching a ton of huge pike.
They are way up into the Arctic Circle this season. There are bunch of shallow rivers and little connected lakes. This one guy just kept pulling them out one after another even on lines just in the water attached to a stick in the ground, while passively fishing.

I’m watching previous season currently on Netflix. I still can’t get over how crafty and genius some people can be with such limited resources. I mean, crafting a fishing pole, sure; building a fuking floating and legit looking canoe…..amazing.

I also think fishing is the best method to stay in the game. Seems like a lot of contestants want to hunt but fishing is where the good, fat meat is. I would be fishing day one and catching/smoking as much as I could
One of the guys this season has a different approach. His approach is just to eat everything he can as soon as he can, because he thinks after watching prior seasons, a lot of the preserved meat gets stolen by bears and other animals.

Love the show, been watching it since the first season.

Still think Roland is the best. At least he told it like it is. I hate when all the contestants (especially when they are taping out) give the old "I just wanted this as a spiritual journey" etc. and its like bullsh*t.....you ain't winning if that's your attitude. In it for the money baby!

Also thought the guy last year I think it was had a good strategy. Granted it wasn't as cold, but he didn't have a fire hardly at all, figured it was a waste of energy and time and thus, never boiled his water (which was a risk, but worked out for him).

Still think Roland is the best. At least he told it like it is. I hate when all the contestants (especially when they are taping out) give the old "I just wanted this as a spiritual journey" etc. and its like bullsh*t.....you ain't winning if that's your attitude. In it for the money baby!

Also thought the guy last year I think it was had a good strategy. Granted it wasn't as cold, but he didn't have a fire hardly at all, figured it was a waste of energy and time and thus, never boiled his water (which was a risk, but worked out for him).
My favorite was Alan from season 1. He could have lasted a year.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Love the show... It'll be interesting to see how they react to total darkness 24hrs a day... It's gonna get real pretty quick...

Reactions: Tenacious E

It seems the key is to have as many passive food gathering things going at once that you can: gill nets, wire snares for rabbits, dead poles or whatever they call them when there is just a line in the water attached to a stick and sits there all day, etc. Assuming that yields results, you can focus your immediate energy on getting a quality/safe shelter built for the long haul. After that is accomplished, if you can mix in a bow kill of a beaver or moose, that should put you over the physical edge. Then it comes down to mental toughness.

I would add I would come in overweight. That really carries some people through pretty far with the extra fat to burn once the food supply dwindles.

Reactions: blackbones
I would add I would come in overweight. That really carries some people through pretty far with the extra fat
The body fat between the contestants should be similar at the beginning of day one... It's my only gripe of the show. Season 5 was won due to his body weight and not his skills imo..

Season 5 winner

Sam-Larson-ALONE.jpg

The body fat between the contestants should be similar at the beginning of day one... It's my only gripe of the show. Season 5 was won due to his body weight and not his skills imo..

Season 5 winner

Sam-Larson-ALONE.jpg
Totally hijacking my own thread, but I think it was you who vacations to Eleuthera. We went years ago, but I was thinking I would like to get back there. If you have been recently, has much changed on the island over the past 5 to 7 years?

Totally hijacking my own thread, but I think it was you who vacations to Eleuthera. We went years ago, but I was thinking I would like to get back there. If you have been recently, has much changed on the island over the past 5 to 7 years?
Yep!.. We haven't been back in 7 years but we've talked about going back... I loved driving beach to beach fishing and swimming as much as possible... I caught several sharks over a hundred pounds... I bet it's exactly the same... I'm thinking another trip for our 20th in a year and a half.

Yep!.. We haven't been back in 7 years but we've talked about going back... I loved driving beach to beach fishing and swimming as much as possible... I caught several sharks over a hundred pounds... I bet it's exactly the same... I'm thinking another trip for our 20th in a year and a half.
That's about when we went. I would definitely want it to be more adventurous like what you did (well, maybe not that adventurous). We kind of went into it blind but I think I would like it even more knowing what to expect. The house we rented was on the Atlantic and owned by a family who had all kinds of pictures of themselves catching lobsters. That would be a fun and good eating. Anyways, back to Alone.

Reactions: blackbones
It seems the key is to have as many passive food gathering things going at once that you can: gill nets, wire snares for rabbits, dead poles or whatever they call them when there is just a line in the water attached to a stick and sits there all day, etc. Assuming that yields results, you can focus your immediate energy on getting a quality/safe shelter built for the long haul. After that is accomplished, if you can mix in a bow kill of a beaver or moose, that should put you over the physical edge. Then it comes down to mental toughness.
Deadfall traps I believe is what you're referring to, where a heavy rock is propped up by a few sticks with the trigger stick baited that once it's moved it causes the rock to collapse, hopefully on the animal underneath. If you know how to construct them they don't require much except for some sticks, a sharp knife and some type of bait to lure them in. I learned to make them as a kid (not sure I could do it now honestly) but I quit doing it after I actually killed a rabbit in our grove and I ended up just tossing the carcass away. Felt bad about it at the time.

I would add I would come in overweight. That really carries some people through pretty far with the extra fat to burn once the food supply dwindles.
Absolutely. I haven’t watched all seasons but it seems ppl who are heavier go longer which makes sense. Seems a bit unfair to that women but not sure how you “equalize” things.

Absolutely. I haven’t watched all seasons but it seems ppl who are heavier go longer which makes sense. Seems a bit unfair to that women but not sure how you “equalize” things.
I guess the flip side for women is that they burn less calories, but I don't think it evens out the playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT