ADVERTISEMENT

Amarion Nimmers Practice Highlights are IMPRESSIVE. On Aug 3, enters Transfer Portal

Fran will give a scholarship to one of the other walk-ons. He's done it before
And if he does, the biggest difference will be that Nimmers was looking for a full 4-year ride. The previous players were 1-year "thank you" scholarships for being a good teammate for 3+ years. Those are 2 very different things.

Weird timing. I would not have be surprised at all if he had entered the portal last spring. Makes you wonder if something happened over the summer that impacted his thinking. Or, perhaps, a new opportunity suddenly appeared.

Reactions: perryhawk
And if he does, the biggest difference will be that Nimmers was looking for a full 4-year ride. The previous players were 1-year "thank you" scholarships for being a good teammate for 3+ years. Those are 2 very different things.

Yeah, Fran has never given a walk-on a scholarship for multiple years. :rolleyes:

Its unbelievably intriguing.

How does that talent not warrant a scholarship offer from a major conference team?

Theres obviously a piece to the puzzle we can't see but even so you'd think with that athleticism and shooting he'd get plenty of offers just on potential.
Yep.

Ahron Ulis getting the ban hammer, maybe Nimmers heads west to fill that scholly that’s now open 😆

Your program is in real bad shape when your best player decides to transfer. He was going to be all Big Ten and now he's gone. Can't believe we are losing a major contributor this year. I don't know how Fran's going to replace all those practice highlights. All the production he had last year during practice was really impressive and will be greatly missed.

Yeah, Fran has never given a walk-on a scholarship for multiple years. :rolleyes:
Who are you referring to?

Austin Ash--1 year on scholarship then transferred
Riley Till--1 year on scholarship then transferred
Nic Baer--Placed on scholarship after scoring double figures in an NCAA tournament game against the eventual National Champions
Kyle Denning--1 year of scholarship, then became GA (now on staff)
Darius Stokes--1 year on scholarship, then became GA

So throughout Fran's entire career he has given 1 walk-on to my knowledge multiple years and that's Baer. And let's be honest, Baer earned that by what he did in actual games.

Fran will give a scholarship to one of the other walk-ons. He's done it before

Do you foresee Fran giving a scholarship to Dante, Luc or Carter? Personally, I would be surprised if any of the 3 gets put on scholarship, but who knows, maybe Dante is for his final year?

One year left, scheduled to graduate in 2024: Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)

Two years left, scheduled to graduate in 2025: Luc Laketa

Three years left, scheduled to graduate in 2026: Carter Kingsbury

Reactions: icwesthawk
Do you foresee Fran giving a scholarship to Dante, Luc or Carter? Personally, I would be surprised if any of the 3 gets put on scholarship, but who knows, maybe Dante is for his final year?

One year left, scheduled to graduate in 2024: Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)

Two years left, scheduled to gradate in 2025: Luc Laketa

Three years left, scheduled to graduate in 2026: Carter Kingsbury
I doubt it, but possible. If he were to do it, I would guess it would be Kingsbury or Laketa getting one with an understanding that Fran will work the phones in April to find him a good landing spot for actual playing time, similar to how he's helped Ash, Till, M. Baer, etc in the past. Carter in particular could be a really good mid/low-major player.

Nimmers is not going to blow you, you know that right?
F... You, you twit. Is that all you got is to say, since I was high on Amarion, being from the Quad Cites, yes, I could see him making an impact at Iowa sometime in the next few years, but then you attack me after he decides to leave Iowa. God, it must be miserable being you! I bet you had a horrible day this afternoon watching your cult leader getting indicted!

F... You, you twit. Is that all you got is to say, since I was high on Amarion, being from the Quad Cites, yes, I could see him making an impact at Iowa sometime in the next few years, but then you attack me after he decides to leave Iowa. God, it must be miserable being you! I bet you had a horrible day this afternoon watching your cult leader getting indicted!

You are an insane person.

Reactions: castichawk24
Weird timing. I would not have be surprised at all if he had entered the portal last spring. Makes you wonder if something happened over the summer that impacted his thinking. Or, perhaps, a new opportunity suddenly appeared.

Late timing, indeed. He better have a landing spot or it's simply a dumb move, imo.

And want an indication of how happy Fran was about this? Amarion was not only immediately removed from the online roster listing (as reported by our very own @Eliot Clough), Fran/the UI has yet to release any kind of statement.

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
Well, here's an interesting development: Amarion is now back on the online roster listing.

cc: @Eliot Clough

Well that's disappointing as well as confusing.

You have to assume he's really not good if he can't get a scholarship after a year.

Still, hope this doesn't turn into Wes Washpun part 2.
It's interesting.

Have to trust the fact that nobody other than EIU has extended a scholarship over some practice highlights until he proves that wrong.

Supposedly, Nimmers played ZERO defense in high school. From what I've seen, his PG skills and feel are minimal. He looks to me like a 6'2" high volume scorer. Tough for those guys to make it in the best leagues.

Nimmers athleticism does make him an enticing prospect and I did see a chance of his skills fitting in a system like Iowa's. But I won't be losing sleep over this one until he proves me wrong

Actually, he only finishes with the right hand, never the left. That said, he demonstrates a ton of athleticism and basketball skill in the highlights. We can only speculate why EIU was his only offer coming out of high school and Fran wasn't willing to offer him one after what was basically an extended try-out.

Now that he's back on the online roster, maybe it was an emotional decision and he's changed his mind?

We'll see....

It's interesting.

Have to trust the fact that nobody other than EIU has extended a scholarship over some practice highlights until he proves that wrong.

Supposedly, Nimmers played ZERO defense in high school. From what I've seen, his PG skills and feel are minimal. He looks to me like a 6'2" high volume scorer. Tough for those guys to make it in the best leagues.

Nimmers athleticism does make him an enticing prospect and I did see a chance of his skills fitting in a system like Iowa's. But I won't be losing sleep over this one until he proves me wrong
That's kind of been my assumption about him that he probably takes a lot of bad shots and doesn't have much feel for the game.

That stuff is more instinctual than anything and hard to change.

Well, here's an interesting development: Amarion is now back on the online roster listing.

cc: @Eliot Clough
Did anyone ever actually verify that Nimmers had been pulled from the online roster? I mean, it's possible that @Eliot Clough looked at the wrong thing and/or overlooked something. (Overall, I think @Eliot Clough does a good job, and I've been enjoying his podcasts, so I'm not trying to rip on him. But we are all capable of mistakes.)

Well that's disappointing as well as confusing.

You have to assume he's really not good if he can't get a scholarship after a year.

Still, hope this doesn't turn into Wes Washpun part 2.

This pic is from July 17. I don't think anyone saw this coming so late in the year.

F1SFDmRWcAA_qVD

Did anyone ever actually verify that Nimmers had been pulled from the online roster? I mean, it's possible that @Eliot Clough looked at the wrong thing and/or overlooked something. (Overall, I think @Eliot Clough does a good job, and I've been enjoying his podcasts, so I'm not trying to rip on him. But we are all capable of mistakes.)
Appreciate the clarification.

Yeah, I double and triple checked yesterday.

Your program is in real bad shape when your best player decides to transfer. He was going to be all Big Ten and now he's gone. Can't believe we are losing a major contributor this year. I don't know how Fran's going to replace all those practice highlights. All the production he had last year during practice was really impressive and will be greatly missed.

you had me there for a sec ;)

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Who are you referring to?

Austin Ash--1 year on scholarship then transferred
Riley Till--1 year on scholarship then transferred
Nic Baer--Placed on scholarship after scoring double figures in an NCAA tournament game against the eventual National Champions
Kyle Denning--1 year of scholarship, then became GA (now on staff)
Darius Stokes--1 year on scholarship, then became GA

So throughout Fran's entire career he has given 1 walk-on to my knowledge multiple years and that's Baer. And let's be honest, Baer earned that by what he did in actual games.

Yeah, I just don't see how Nimmers has earned a scholarship yet. And Fran obviously hasn't seen enough yet from Amarion, either.

It's interesting.

interesting; this is the first time I have heard that Nimmers played zero defense in high school.

granted they were just the highlights and we didn't see the lowlights, but weren't you at least a little impressed in what you saw in his highlights posted in the original post?

A walkon that in many ways looked better, in that Iowa practice video, than our scholarship athletes. At the very least, brought something different to the table

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT