ADVERTISEMENT

'America Last' health treaty

The point is, it is expensive when you try to take care of the rest of the world. Have you seen the US debt? It is not wise to commit to paying for undeveloped countries to fight a pandemic that has not happened yet. I doubt you would be able to understand these consequences though.
So your solution is not prepare for a pandemic, let it spread when one hits and then try to take action. Got it.

That didn't work out so well when Trump did that exact thing.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
I don't. Went to high school just outside of Rochester. Father worked at Mayo...it was amazing just how many Canadians you would meet walking under downtown and at the restaurant I worked as a kid. They were not there to check out the Geese.
People with means are able to get care all over the world.

People with means are able to get care all over the world.

Yes. I just always found it interesting that they would chose to goto Rochester, Minnesota, than receive this great free care at home that is supposed to be so much better than what we have.

There was some rich dude in Saudi that owned hospitals all over the world. Kid gets in a car accident, and his dad flies him from Saudi to Rochester as soon as he was stabilized. Never even got that one as Mayo is not known for its trauma care.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I don't. Went to high school just outside of Rochester. Father worked at Mayo...it was amazing just how many Canadians you would meet walking under downtown and at the restaurant I worked as a kid. They were not there to check out the Geese.

And yet, Most Canadians love their coverages in Canada.

I had a cousin who lived in Toronto who was treated for serious conditions (MS and a brain tumor) and was very thankful to have coverage that they would not have had in the US, due to insurance deductibles and exclusions.

Hell, people in America take trips overseas for care, too - where it is cheaper and still Western quality.

Yes. I just always found it interesting that they would chose to goto Rochester, Minnesota, than receive this great free care at home that is supposed to be so much better than what we have.

There was some rich dude in Saudi that owned hospitals all over the world. Kid gets in a car accident, and his dad flies him from Saudi to Rochester as soon as he was stabilized. Never even got that one as Mayo is not known for its trauma care.
Mayo is a renowned hospital system. This isn't hard. If you have the funds you will go to a great doctor.

Last edited:
Hell, people in America take trips overseas for care, too - where it is cheaper and still Western quality.

I know people that go to Mexico for treatments that have not been approved in the US.

I am just saying that trashing the for profit model in the US as bad without realizing it is what drives the ability of the US to produce effective drugs quickly....doesn't make sense. Get rid of the for profit idea of our Pharma and you will not see as quick of a turnaround like happened during COVID. Seemed everyone thought it was not possible to do that quickly....except the companies that realized they could make billions. And for the couple that made billions, many others lost alot of money chasing those billions. It was worth the gamble to them. Yes other countries also produced some drugs, and they also took care of their own first.

I am just saying that trashing the for profit model in the US as bad without realizing it is what drives the ability of the US to produce effective drugs quickly.

The "profit model" is not what enables rapid drug development.

The US model is one of the LEAST efficient healthcare systems in the world. Something like $0.25 of every dollar spent is going to middlemen or administrative costs.

For other Western countries, those administrative costs are barely over $0.05 per dollar spent.

So?

People travel to India to get treatments using US-based systems for fully approved stuff; just at 10% of the US costs.

Thank you for validating my point. A company can be motivated to make something to sell in the US. They make their millions or billions in profits here...and either pick up a few pennies or a good marketing campaign by giving it to other countries for next to nothing.

Those US based systems would not exist without the profit they can make here. Maybe unfair...but at least it gets them made.

Thank you for validating my point.

It does not validate any aspect of your point. You were trying to make the point that "everyone comes to the US because the care it the best", which is not necessarily the case.

Care is as-good in other places, only LOTS less costly.

The "profit model" is not what enables rapid drug development.

The US model is one of the LEAST efficient healthcare systems in the world. Something like $0.25 of every dollar spent is going to middlemen or administrative costs.

For other Western countries, those administrative costs are barely over $0.05 per dollar spent.
Those other countries are benefitting from our for profit system. The difference is that other countries negotiate and cap prices of the drugs. This is not done in the US (although the inflation reduction act will give the power to negotiate some drug prices.

The US creates over 50% of the medications. The for profit model seems to be a major contributing factor.

Why? Being able to get great general care does not preclude wanting/needing the top specialized care in the world. A friend's daughter had cancer some time back and they went to Mayo even though the U of I is closer and very good in their own right.

Would love a link to the Saudi story including the hospitals owned.

What problem is this treaty solving? Please give specific examples.

I'll help you out.
This is what a pandemic preparedness plan looks like. Not the garbage treaty from the who.
It provides an agreement ahead of time to share technologies and resources to help prevent a pandemic from occurring and/or spreading.

Your inability to see the big picture is why you are getting duped by conspiracy advocates.

Reactions: Joes Place
So you don't think they will sign it? That is possible.

But the usa is the #1 donor to the who and and Bill Gates foundation is #2. It seems like the US aligns closely with the who.
Think about this. Someone who frequents this forum actually said that as a matter of fact. As if they would know whether or not this would ever be put into place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT