ADVERTISEMENT

Ammo prices...are they coming down a little?

ghost80

HR Heisman
Feb 24, 2009
Ammo shortage appears to be over and with a few exceptions anything you are looking for can be found BUT....

Prices are still sky high. Guessing some of the reason we are seeing so much ammo now available on the selves is because of the high prices (much higher than inflation should cause). Today I went ammo shopping for the first time since BLACK FRIDAY and some deals I cashed in on that day.

Stopped at 3 chain stores today in the DSM Metro that carry full lines of ammo. Not surprising the store with the lowest prices had the least selection. The store with slightly higher prices had a very good selection and is where I made my only purchase mostly due to rewards cashed in that brought my ammo below the max price I'm willing to pay (topped off my 9mm brass practice ammo locker today under $9/50 plus tax at Bass Pro).

Won't name any names but the chain attached to a mall made me laugh......shelves are bowing under the weight of ammo and very high prices. Some of the piles of high priced ammo were still there from when I visited on BLACK FRIDAY. (If you shop there you only will be able to afford a PEW or at most a PEW PEW).

What are HROT shooters seeing?

Ammo shortage appears to be over and with a few exceptions anything you are looking for can be found BUT....

Prices are still sky high. Guessing some of the reason we are seeing so much ammo now available on the selves is because of the high prices (much higher than inflation should cause). Today I went ammo shopping for the first time since BLACK FRIDAY and some deals I cashed in on that day.

Stopped at 3 chain stores today in the DSM Metro that carry full lines of ammo. Not surprising the store with the lowest prices had the least selection. The store with slightly higher prices had a very good selection and is where I made my only purchase mostly due to rewards cashed in that brought my ammo below the max price I'm willing to pay (topped off my 9mm brass practice ammo locker today under $9/50 plus tax at Bass Pro).

Won't name any names but the chain attached to a mall made me laugh......shelves are bowing under the weight of ammo and very high prices. Some of the piles of high priced ammo were still there from when I visited on BLACK FRIDAY. (If you shop there you only will be able to afford a PEW or at most a PEW PEW).

Still pretty bare when I have looked. Was at Fleet Farm the other day and not much for hunting loads/calibers

Still pretty bare when I have looked. Was at Fleet Farm the other day and not much for hunting loads/calibers
Fleet farm has very little but I appreciate that they never raised prices. Scheels is a joke. Bass pro and sportsman's had a decent selection last I looked. I have bought 5k 9mm, 4k .45., 2k .235/.556, 1k 30-06 brass over the last 2 months and am just going to reload as much as possible and buy powder/primers/lead whenever I can. We have dealt with ammo shortages since 9/11. At this point I think the ammo companies are ****ing with us.

Why did you write BLACK FRIDAY in all caps? That's weird.

I haven't seen prices drop, but I don't supposed I've really looked in a couple months.

Reactions: ghost80
Why did you write BLACK FRIDAY in all caps? That's weird.

I haven't seen prices drop, but I don't supposed I've really looked in a couple months.
Guess I've seen it hyped too many times in big bold letters.

Fleet farm has very little but I appreciate that they never raised prices. Scheels is a joke. Bass pro and sportsman's had a decent selection last I looked. I have bought 5k 9mm, 4k .45., 2k .235/.556, 1k 30-06 brass over the last 2 months and am just going to reload as much as possible and buy powder/primers/lead whenever I can. We have dealt with ammo shortages since 9/11. At this point I think the ammo companies are ****ing with us.
I've heard ammo mfgs justifying the price increases as being reflective of the true cost to mfg it. Claiming they have been selling it at a loss for some time. Not drinking that Kool aid.

Spot on with Scheels. I only stop there to harvest specials.

I've heard ammo mfgs justifying the price increases as being reflective of the true cost to mfg it. Claiming they have been selling it at a loss for some time. Not drinking that Kool aid.

Spot on with Scheels. I only stop there to harvest specials.
I would love a small manufacturer to start up. Boss did it with shot shells, you cannot tell me they couldn't make a profit in 9mm. The problem is the big boys would never let them get off the ground.

I would love a small manufacturer to start up. Boss did it with shot shells, you cannot tell me they couldn't make a profit in 9mm. The problem is the big boys would never let them get off the ground.
I'm moving toward reloading. Now that even 12 gauge practice loads have spiked I have a family member reloading mine along with his. Another family member has been reloading my 5.56 for some time and hopefully this year if components are available he will teach me how to reload 9mm and .38.

Primers are still hard to come by and are priced waaay too high. 400 5.56 at Cabelas was $350. Priced too high for me.

• Sad
I'm moving toward reloading. Now that even 12 gauge practice loads have spiked I have a family member reloading mine along with his. Another family member has been reloading my 5.56 for some time and hopefully this year if components are available he will teach me how to reload 9mm and .38.

It really is the way to go if you have the space. I bought a dillion 550 that I'm going to learn on. I am also looking forward to being able to specialize loads for my barrels.

Both, was looking for pheasant loads for next year
Shotgun shells still seem impacted and sporatic. During the civil unrest period there were runs on shotguns. That made buck and defense loads impossible to find so people were turning to turkey and pheasant hunting loads. Now you can find defense loads but it is probably off annual cycle for hunting loads and last years production cycle was probably quickly bought up.

Remember the 100 packs of universal loads that were everywhere and cost $20-$25? When was the last time you saw one? Saw one at FF Waukee last summer. Picked it up...$35...set it back down. Walked over for a bag of dog food and changed my mind. Walked back and saw a guy pick it up and said to his buddy, "Finally!".

Saw a lot of shotgun shells today...all expensive and no pheasant loads.

I haven't looked for a while, but .30-06 was still pretty rare last time I was looking for some.
Saw a few boxes today but the selection wasn't great and they were expensive. Probably more seasonal so the mfgs will run those with the hunting stuff early summer. Late summer early fall the selection should improve.

Reactions: Warrior Poet31
Shotgun shells still seem impacted and sporatic. During the civil unrest period there were runs on shotguns. That made buck and defense loads impossible to find so people were turning to turkey and pheasant hunting loads. Now you can find defense loads but it is probably off annual cycle for hunting loads and last years production cycle was probably quickly bought up.

Remember the 100 packs of universal loads that were everywhere and cost $20-$25? When was the last time you saw one? Saw one at FF Waukee last summer. Picked it up...$35...set it back down. Walked over for a bag of dog food and changed my mind. Walked back and saw a guy pick it up and said to his buddy, "Finally!".

Saw a lot of shotgun shells today...all expensive and no pheasant loads.
I ran out during the season and found the best selection in Minnesota. Same with 350 Legend

I normally have to order my 6.8 SPC cartridges from a friend that's and FFL dealer. They are not a normal shelf item in my area. I haven't really had a need to look for any other ammo as I restocked before everything went to hell.

I'm also having a difficult time finding small game loads,... 4, 5 & 6 shot are practically non-existent in any gauge...
Saw a few boxes of 12 yesterday but 20 is still a rare find. The stuff you paid $5.50 for years is now $9-$10 and you have to look.

Last summer I was in SE Iowa at a farm type store that carried a full gun/ammo section. Well stocked and reasonably priced except lower end 20 and 12 gauge shells. They weren't busy so I struck up a conversation with the guy behind the counter. He told me youth trap/skeet has exploded. Lot of those kids use 200-300 shells per week and few reload. He said he holds back most of his product for them but will sneak a few boxes out for his regular customers. Rarely has enough to just put it out on the shelf for the public.

Reactions: h-hawk and Rifler
I've found you can make some pretty good deals on ammo at gun shows, for the last 3 - 4 years I will normally go to 5 to 6 shows a year and if not purchasing/trading weapons I will at least pick up some ammo been doing that pretty steadily for the last 4 years. Toward the end of December I decided to inventory my ammo supply and feel pretty confident I won't be needing to pay those current high prices. .556 - 143 boxes, 22LR - 161 boxes, 9mm - 60 boxes, 12 GA (00) - 26 boxes.

• Wow
Reactions: h-hawk and ghost80
I've found you can make some pretty good deals on ammo at gun shows, for the last 3 - 4 years I will normally go to 5 to 6 shows a year and if not purchasing/trading weapons I will at least pick up some ammo been doing that pretty steadily for the last 4 years. Toward the end of December I decided to inventory my ammo supply and feel pretty confident I won't be needing to pay those current high prices. .556 - 143 boxes, 22LR - 161 boxes, 9mm - 60 boxes, 12 GA (00) - 26 boxes.
I would hope they will negotiate. Quit going to the shows due to the exorbitant prices.

BIL used to set up at the ISF fairgrounds but stopped a couple years ago. He actually used the ISF show to buy guns and then took them to South Dakota to sell. Made a decent profit using that model.

Reactions: Chief Turkeyscratch
For the shotgun stuff I guess I'd have to check it out again. I have enough casings, primers, wads, and powder to load a ton of target loads but the last time I checked (but before prices really started going through the roof) just buying shot was about the same as just buying target loads.

The only thing I absolutely still could not find recently was the Winchester 12ga foster slugs I use for deer. Thankfully I had plenty left to get through this past season.

For the shotgun stuff I guess I'd have to check it out again. I have enough casings, primers, wads, and powder to load a ton of target loads but the last time I checked (but before prices really started going through the roof) just buying shot was about the same as just buying target loads.

The only thing I absolutely still could not find recently was the Winchester 12ga foster slugs I use for deer. Thankfully I had plenty left to get through this past season.
Ive seen Fed 15pks in Wally world now that deer season is over. Guessing the mfgs focus more on the more lucrative sabots and other high performance slugs than the cheaper low tech foster slugs.

Ive seen Fed 15pks in Wally world now that deer season is over. Guessing the mfgs focus more on the more lucrative sabots and other high performance slugs than the cheaper low tech foster slugs.
I could shoot Federals, I just like to stay consistent. The only fosters I've found that I can't make work are Remington in 2-3/4 (funny, shooting a Remington shotgun). The local places had no Fed or Winchester in foster or sabot prior to or during deer season.

It really doesn’t take a lot to reload and you should be able to do it 6+ times on the same brass. It doesn’t take more room than a workbench. The sky is of course the limit on what kind of press you buy but you don’t need more than your standard Lee press, it is very difficult to get a consistent powder load on a progressive press and all it takes is one hot load and you can have a problem

The drawback of course is that you have powder in your house

It really doesn’t take a lot to reload and you should be able to do it 6+ times on the same brass. It doesn’t take more room than a workbench. The sky is of course the limit on what kind of press you buy but you don’t need more than your standard Lee press, it is very difficult to get a consistent powder load on a progressive press and all it takes is one hot load and you can have a problem

The drawback of course is that you have powder in your house
Too bad the mother in law sold her house and moved to an apartment.....she used to let me store stuff there.......

I could shoot Federals, I just like to stay consistent. The only fosters I've found that I can't make work are Remington in 2-3/4 (funny, shooting a Remington shotgun). The local places had no Fed or Winchester in foster or sabot prior to or during deer season.
If you can't find any by next fall ping me. Have 2 Fed 15 packs I'll never use and will get them to you.

2 years old but properly stored and fine.

Reactions: FranklinHawk
I bought a brick
I normally have to order my 6.8 SPC cartridges from a friend that's and FFL dealer. They are not a normal shelf item in my area. I haven't really had a need to look for any other ammo as I restocked before everything went to hell.
What do you think of that round? Seems like the next step for 6.5 creed. That's the new Military long range round correct?

I have 200+ rounds of .17 I would sell if anyone is looking. I bought them to shoot prairie dogs with a couple years ago and don't own a .17. Fwiw.

Wait I'm confused.

Are you telling me you got 9mm practice ammo for $9 a box?

I havn't been looking at ammo prices recently but if that's the case that's a big drop in price.

Wait I'm confused.

Are you telling me you got 9mm practice ammo for $9 a box?

I havn't been looking at ammo prices recently but if that's the case that's a big drop in price.
That was with my Cabela card reward points cash in. Regular price was $16.99 brass which by todays standard is a decent price but still more than I'd pay right now.

Did a look online and I saw them going off for about $18 a box which is down because at one point I think they were at $25 a box.
Shelf tag said $17.99 she rang them up under my loyalty member number and they rang at $16.99 before cashing in the CC points.

I didn't want to ask her if my loyalty member got me a buck off or the shelf tag was wrong.

Last edited:
I bought a brick
What do you think of that round? Seems like the next step for 6.5 creed. That's the new Military long range round correct?
I love it, and yes it's an upgraded military round that is basically a combo of the 5.56 and 7.62. It has really good accuracy at long range and packs some serious knock down power in close quarters.

At one time, it was very difficult to find ammunition, let's say for our own weapons, and if we did, they cost a lot. Nowadays the prices are lower, and there is a lot more choice. Let's start with the fact that many people around me and I work in law enforcement, and we all wanted to buy some new kind of gun for us, as a self-defense gun. We settled on a type, but we didn't know which model to choose for a long time because the choice was between the glock 19 vs 19x. The only differences were the metal body and the price. More settled on the second option, because it looks better and the price is not much different.

Last edited:
Scheels in WDM has a fair selection again. I was low on .223 so I picked up another hundred and fifty 62 grain green tips. 100 bucks for 150.
How is the project coming?

Havent been paying a lot of attention lately to prices. My ammo lockers were filled to the brim but now have some gaps I'll be looking to fill in the next week.

Needing to replace 1000 rds .22LR, 300-400 rds 147 gr practice 9mm, and 100 rds 130gr practice .38 special. Have a relative reloading 5.56mm for me and need a couple hundred rds.

Should have a better feel for prices after that.

How is the project coming?

Havent been paying a lot of attention lately to prices. My ammo lockers were filled to the brim but now have some gaps I'll be looking to fill in the next week.

Needing to replace 1000 rds .22LR, 300-400 rds 147 gr practice 9mm, and 100 rds 130gr practice .38 special. Have a relative reloading 5.56mm for me and need a couple hundred rds.

Should have a better feel for prices after that.
I had my parents over for the game and my "dad" helped me set up my reloader. I just got done knocking out 200 rounds of .45.

I'm using 5.5 grains of Rem 231 with a 230grain Jacketed round nose.

As far as the AR Build:

I had a Burris p.e.p.r that I put on it. It's a decent setup, I really like the top mounted 1moa red dot but the scope itself eats batteries. The nice thing about the magpul pistol grip is it has a storage compartment I can keep a couple extra batteries in. I will upgrade it at some point. I would really like to put a thermal on it and use it for coyotes but we are talking $$$ for something nice. I have not put it on a bench and really dialed it in but as of right now I'm pretty consistently in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards just sitting and resting it on my knee. Good enough for government work. Still a huge fan of the trigger. Strongly recommened the cmc drop in triggers, 3.5 pounds and it breaks like glass, zero creep.

Saw a few boxes of 12 yesterday but 20 is still a rare find. The stuff you paid $5.50 for years is now $9-$10 and you have to look.

Last summer I was in SE Iowa at a farm type store that carried a full gun/ammo section. Well stocked and reasonably priced except lower end 20 and 12 gauge shells. They weren't busy so I struck up a conversation with the guy behind the counter. He told me youth trap/skeet has exploded. Lot of those kids use 200-300 shells per week and few reload. He said he holds back most of his product for them but will sneak a few boxes out for his regular customers. Rarely has enough to just put it out on the shelf for the public.
The shotgun run may be caused by kids in rural towns doing trap, but here in the city it's a different story. A year ago I tried finding a 20 gauge for my kids to use trap shooting. I drove to 7 gun stores and 5 pawn shops. Finally settled on a CZ 720. Guy at the shop said everyone was buying 20 gauges for home defense during the riots because they were light enough to be used easily by women. Many were putting pistol grips on and/or sawing off the barrel.

The shotgun run may be caused by kids in rural towns doing trap, but here in the city it's a different story. A year ago I tried finding a 20 gauge for my kids to use trap shooting. I drove to 7 gun stores and 5 pawn shops. Finally settled on a CZ 720. Guy at the shop said everyone was buying 20 gauges for home defense during the riots because they were light enough to be used easily by women. Many were putting pistol grips on and/or sawing off the barrel.
Interesting. Surprised a lot of people are opting 20 ga for home defense but they would work well. Could be 12s dried up first so they bought 20s. You would probably find a greater variety of defense loads for 12. I own a 20 pump and a 20 SS. I'd have no problem using either for home defense but do have a small supply of defense loads for them.

SInce the original post I have started seeing a few boxes of 20ga practice loads appear but the stuff that was $5.25 before at Walmart is now $8.50 and you won't find 100 packs of 20. Might be a good time to lay in a supply before the youth shooting teams ramp up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT