ADVERTISEMENT

Ammo prices...are they coming down a little?

Scheels in WDM has a fair selection again. I was low on .223 so I picked up another hundred and fifty 62 grain green tips. 100 bucks for 150.
Been on the road the last week so I was able to check prices over a few different states and all types of businesses from Academy, to Cabelas (and Bass Pro) multiple Sheels, mom and pop shops ect.

Good news. You can find plenty of just about anything you want.

Bad news. In general the prices have not only not gone down.....they have increased considerably even from last fall. Talking with the different people and they are told it is not due to demand but due to the high prices of industrial metals being used in ammo. Sizeable price increases for April 1 that I hope places have already factored into their prices for replacement cost.....if not it will go higher yet.

Example. Quit using Tula some time age due to the laquer fouling up the firing pin channel in some of my guns. I know some people have given it up because it is Russian even if the ammo works for them. Saw Tula (steel case) at one big box store and they were asking $24/50 for 9mm. Incredible.

Been on the road the last week so I was able to check prices over a few different states and all types of businesses from Academy, to Cabelas (and Bass Pro) multiple Sheels, mom and pop shops ect.

Good news. You can find plenty of just about anything you want.

Bad news. In general the prices have not only not gone down.....they have increased considerably even from last fall. Talking with the different people and they are told it is not due to demand but due to the high prices of industrial metals being used in ammo. Sizeable price increases for April 1 that I hope places have already factored into their prices for replacement cost.....if not it will go higher yet.

Example. Quit using Tula some time age due to the laquer fouling up the firing pin channel in some of my guns. I know some people have given it up because it is Russian even if the ammo works for them. Saw Tula (steel case) at one big box store and they were asking $24/50 for 9mm. Incredible.
Bullshit is what it is.

Anyone know a good way to purchase bulk lead? I will smelt and cast it, best I came up with was tire weights at a tire shop.

Reactions: ghost80
Bullshit is what it is.

Anyone know a good way to purchase bulk lead? I will smelt and cast it, best I came up with was tire weights at a tire shop.
Was looking for 1000 rds of .22LR. Still have plenty but wanted to replace what I had shot since last fall. Couldn't find bricks/bulk packs and if you did they were north of $50 for everything. Walmart must have gotten a large shipment of Fed Automatch (325) because you could find them everywhere for under $22.

My Walther that I use as a trainer likes Automatch so since every thing else was sky high I ended up topping the locker mostly with 8 boxes. Cheaper alternative and can reduce my centerfire usage. Did also get some Blazer Brass 9mm - 124 (had no rewards where I found 147s) that with rewards were under my 15 cent limit.

Was looking for 1000 rds of .22LR. Still have plenty but wanted to replace what I had shot since last fall. Couldn't find bricks/bulk packs and if you did they were north of $50 for everything. Walmart must have gotten a large shipment of Fed Automatch (325) because you could find them everywhere for under $22.

My Walther that I use as a trainer likes Automatch so since every thing else was sky high I ended up topping the locker mostly with 8 boxes. Cheaper alternative and can reduce my centerfire usage. Did also get some Blazer Brass 9mm - 124 (had no rewards where I found 147s) that with rewards were under my 15 cent limit.
I've been doing a little reading about practicing long range shooting with 22lr. I have access to about 600 yards of shooting range. (Neighbors corn field) with a back stop. I think I'm going to get into it to start learning more about drop and windage. Pushing a .22lr out to 3-400 yards is going to take some work.

I've been doing a little reading about practicing long range shooting with 22lr. I have access to about 600 yards of shooting range. (Neighbors corn field) with a back stop. I think I'm going to get into it to start learning more about drop and windage. Pushing a .22lr out to 3-400 yards is going to take some work.
Using a converter in your ARs?

I've been shooting the shit out of .223 and 9mm REMANs for target practice the last couple years. I've been getting them from a place in Idaho. Cheap, cheap way to shoot a bunch of ammo. Accurate and never misfires.

I've been shooting the shit out of .223 and 9mm REMANs for target practice the last couple years. I've been getting them from a place in Idaho. Cheap, cheap way to shoot a bunch of ammo. Accurate and never misfires.
Hope you're wearing eye pro!

99% of kabooms I see posted online are from remanufactured ammo. Rolling the dice but it's your eyes/fingers.

Reloading components are coming back, slowly, but coming back. But yeah, prices really suck.
I just picked up a 1000 box of match grade small rifle primers for 80 bucks from fleet farm. They seem to be the best about not raising prices. Scheels has powder but it's way over priced.

Not for sure. I have always wanted to build out a bull barrel 10/22. Pry just start with my old 10/22 and go from there. I can practice at 100 at my place but I don't see a ton of drop or wind impact. Gotta start somewhere.

Just bite the bullet

OIP.Ckl-_GrjE_2WiASyjo9HsAHaE7

https://www.altusshooting.com/products/proof-research-zermatt-rimx-22lr-prefit-barrels

https://www.altusshooting.com/products/zermatt-arms-rimx-rimfire-action

I just picked up a 1000 box of match grade small rifle primers for 80 bucks from fleet farm. They seem to be the best about not raising prices. Scheels has powder but it's way over priced.
My Ankeny Mills hasn't had any primers since COVID when I've been in there (weekly on the way home) outside of some BR-4 primers at $11/sleeve. F that. No powder at all.

Sportsmans/Bass Pro has had some good stuff off and on lately. Been trading some stuff with guys on different shooting forums that are local.

I used to load a lot of shotgun stuff but pretty much quit 3-4 years ago because the cost of shot in many cases outweighed or came close to what I could buy factory loads for. Still sitting on probably 4,500 #209 primers and a large keg of 700x powder among some other stuff, might have to think about starting up again.

I've shot literally 1000 rnds with no issues.

I'm guessing that 99% of those 99% are from people who have no idea what they are doing.
When I was learning proficiency with a .38 snub I bought a lot of reloads through a local gunshop. At first no problems but at 1 point they switched vendors. Tons of split cases. They were loading any case they got their hands on and it showed. Would even occassionally find a split in loaded rounds.

When I had to start really looking carefully at my ammo before shooting it was time to move back to mfged ammo.

When I was learning proficiency with a .38 snub I bought a lot of reloads through a local gunshop. At first no problems but at 1 point they switched vendors. Tons of split cases. They were loading any case they got their hands on and it showed. Would even occassionally find a split in loaded rounds.

When I had to start really looking carefully at my ammo before shooting it was time to move back to mfged ammo.
I've been shooting my father-in-law's reloads for evah. Been his brass bitch for years. Last couple years his cataracts have getting worse and I don't quite trust his loads...just don't tell him 😉.

I do have a lot of his rounds when he was able to do good work. Probably 3/4 of my stock is reloads or REMANs. This place I've been getting them from boasts this. They do it themselves. They don't contract it out.

My zombie apocalypse aresenal is all factory. But during Covid I could not find anything like everyone else. Could occaisionally find a deal for about $.60 a round for 5.56 at a big retailer but had to be there at the right time. Local shops were selling it 2-3x that otherwise. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the REMANs.

I've been shooting my father-in-law's reloads for evah. Been his brass bitch for years. Last couple years his cataracts have getting worse and I don't quite trust his loads...just don't tell him 😉.

I do have a lot of his rounds when he was able to do good work. Probably 3/4 of my stock is reloads or REMANs. This place I've been getting them from boasts this. They do it themselves. They don't contract it out.

My zombie apocalypse aresenal is all factory. But during Covid I could not find anything like everyone else. Could occaisionally find a deal for about $.60 a round for 5.56 at a big retailer but had to be there at the right time. Local shops were selling it 2-3x that otherwise. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the REMANs.
A relative reloads my .223/5.56. Complete confidence in him. He's somewhat a Perfectionist and takes reloading seriously.

Reactions: red/green hawk
Not sure if it all Scheels have a SPRING AMMO SALE going on but was in Jordan Creek yesterday killing a little time before lunch and there were some specials going on thru 4/3 (or until they are out) which were close to their Black Friday prices last year.

They were very well stocked but yesterday was day 1 and I'd expect that to change.

Lockers are full but I did buy a little to load up my range bag. Fiocchi 9mm $15.99/50 (excellent range ammo) was only $1 higher than Black Friday. Aguila Super Extra .22 LR (also excellent semi auto range ammo) was $34.99/500.

Not sure about the rest of their specials but it would be worth checking out their flier if you are on the hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT