ADVERTISEMENT

An Example of the difference of a public and parochial education....

joelbc1

HB King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
In today's "Register" there is an article mentioning the Urbandale HS play is Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Carousel".....in an adjoining article (below the fold) the paper has an article about Des Moines Christian HS play, "The Princess and the Pea."
I laid in bed and laughed my arse off over this. To me this classically explains the difference between a public and a parochial education.

I am not sure how you are comparing the two. On some levels they are similar ... both musicals, both whimsical, both romances; one between a prince and a "princess;" one between a carnival barker and a mill worker, and so on.

One draws on a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale and the other on an old play originally set in Budapest. Each has been translated into English and adapted for the musical stage.

Each has a history of being popular.

I think that either one would be appropriate for a High School production.

Re: An Example of the difference of a public and parochial education.

Originally posted by joelbc1:
   In today's "Register" there is an article mentioning the Urbandale HS play is Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Carousel".....in an adjoining article (below the fold) the paper has an article about Des Moines Christian HS play, "The Princess and the Pea."
   I laid in bed and laughed my arse off over this. To me this classically explains the difference between a public and a parochial education.

Ghey
Posted from Rivals Mobile

A public high school in the 21st century......
If it is located in the inner city it will have
discipline problems, high drop-out rate,
few students going to college.

A public high school in the 21st century....
If it is located in the suburbs it will have
a majority of students going to college,
parental support for the student, few
discipline cases.

It's getting more and more rare for public schools to still have theater programs.

That's a difference too.

This post was edited on 4/14 10:45 AM by 22*43*51

the fact that joel would lay in bed awake at night worried about a play at a high school....

This post was edited on 4/14 10:14 AM by ottumwan in tx

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

I am not sure how you are comparing the two. On some levels they are similar ... both musicals, both whimsical, both romances; one between a prince and a "princess;" one between a carnival barker and a mill worker, and so on.

One draws on a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale and the other on an old play originally set in Budapest. Each has been translated into English and adapted for the musical stage.

Each has a history of being popular.

I think that either one would be appropriate for a High School production.
I think the difference is all a matter of lighting Titus. "Carousel" is a much, much darker, sinister play. Much more "secular' and real in its subject matter.
To me. it points out a world of difference in the approach to knowledge and world view between a "public" and a "private" education.
But then to have to explain it, it makes the point futile.

Can someone go into greater detail how this is indicative of public vs parochial schools? My extent of knowledge of the two plays stops at I am aware they exist.

We a Rogers and Hammerstein musical and Princess and the Pea when I was in HS. Well, when I say we, I mean the kids that did musicals and plays in my HS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT