ADVERTISEMENT

And just like that, our season is effectively over.

Frans been lucky the bar has been set pretty low. Along with some great individual seasons, and the fact it’s so far overshadowed by fball, wrestling, and women’s bball.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Really like the “ no BB IQ” comment….. priceless! (Another reason I pay my $100 annually!)
His defensive rotation is bad, really bad. His lack of rebounding is bad, really bad on both ends of the court. He dribbles the ball and typically has no idea what he is going to do with it once he is in the air or picks up his dribble in the middle of the lane. That’s bad bball IQ all the way around. He should see maybe 10 minutes a game and that’s it because he gives no effort to defend and rebound on either end. Just stands at the three point line or runs out hoping to get a pass from a defensive rebound. He’s not a good player for a coaches son. But, considering he is Fran’s son, it all makes perfect sense as to why he plays and does the things that he does.

Most teams have down years, it happens. I'd be more upset if there didn't seem to be hope for the future but assuming everyone comes back next year I like the chances of this team making the tournament next year and in two years they might be ready to make a serious run. There are some issues that will need to be addressed but Iowa basketball has been in far worse situations than they are this year, imo. At least the women's team is really fun to watch this year.

Most teams have down years, it happens. I'd be more upset if there didn't seem to be hope for the future but assuming everyone comes back next year I like the chances of this team making the tournament next year and in two years they might be ready to make a serious run. There are some issues that will need to be addressed but Iowa basketball has been in far worse situations than they are this year, imo. At least the women's team is really fun to watch this year.
Fans have been saying that for years. Can't wait until it actually happens.

Fans have been saying that for years. Can't wait until it actually happens.
They just made the tournament 4 years in a row. Now their performance in the tournament is certainly something to be upset about, for sure. Fran's teams just don't play defense well enough.

It isn't the PSU loss, it is the 7 total losse in B1G play with home losses to Maryland, Michigan, Purdue. Teams need to win most of their home games do not have winning records in B1G play because road wins are rare.

Iowa has a very narrow path to make NCAA tourney. I don't think they have a chance of winning B1G tourney because we matchup horribly with Purdue.
No chance. Anyone thinking otherwise, I don’t what to say.

I’m too lazy to look it up, but would love to know how many teams have done that without making the S16 at least one of those years?
They've only made the Sweet 16 like 4 or 5 times in my lifetime so the odds are probably pretty good that it's happened before. But I'm not saying that's not an issue though. That's a fair criticism.

I think we all knew that with 4 incoming freshman and 2 players from the portal would cause Iowa to lose some games because of unfamiliarity, but Krikke being up and down on offense and having no defense, Brauns basically a foul machine and getting few minutes, redshirting Mulvey, the only backup for Owen, the 4 freshman, Owen became a starter for rebounding and defense is really crafty around the basket and is refreshing to see playing actual defense and the other 3 seeing spot minutes not really providing much. Then there's up and down Patrick that is mostly a black hole, Sandfort that is on fire one game and nonexistent in others, Perkins has become the face of this team, but now that he is the focus of opposing defenses he has to work doubly hard to score and help Iowa from losing games, up to 10 now which is now 13 of 14 years of Fran's leadership.
Playing with guards that are not point guards is becoming a problem for Iowa and yes I know, Brock Harding is the only point guard Iowa has on it's roster, but we all saw how Iowa fell apart in the last 4 minutes of the Penn St game when Fran went with guards that can't handle pressure.
Fran just can't help himself. No matter how much he pushes the idea that positionless basketball is the future of college basketball it fails every year at Iowa.
Can't wait until the start of next year. No Krikke, hopefully no Patrick, and if anyone else wants to leave that's ok with me as long as it's not one of the 4 freshman. Hope Tony decides to return next year, that is all.
I agree with most of what you say here. Bowen not really improving and Harding not being ready (small and easily bullied on defense) leaves us basically with 2 guards in Dix and Perkins and neither is a natural point. When Fran went with Perkins as the only guard the last 3-4 minutes it was the most head scratching moment in a long time. Penn St wouldn’t let him catch it or immediately doubled him and our 3 forwards and 1 Center were forced to do something. Perkins is having an amazing season considering what he’s being asked to do. We need guards and more guards.

Reactions: Bierhalter

Yeah I could see making the NCAA next year--pretty easy bar, just need to finish in Top6 in B1G--ie. slightly above average among our B1G peers. Unless Iowa becomes an NIL powerhouse, the Deck is stacked against Iowa and other similar P5 teams in modern B-ball from making "serious run." which I would define as Elite8 or better. It would take a hall of fame type coach that can recruit and has X's and O's to get Iowa to make a serious run OR a guy that pushes the ethical limits in portal/recruiting/roster management.

I wouldn't call Iowa State a B-ball powerhouse, but they are a school with less natural gifts. They don't mind not being able to win most in state recruiting battles because they don't want the most of the players Fran recruits from Iowa. ISU had Elite 8 run in 2000 with Marcus Pfizer. They had Sweet16 with Hoiberg in 2014. In 2021 Otzelberger inherited a conference two-win team and led it to a 20-win improvement and the Sweet 16---i,e. he rescued the program from Lickliter level in a singe effing year.

Fran with 28 years of head coaching and no success in NCAA tourney---I think it is pretty good bet he doesn't ever make a ncaa run because his approach/system is flawed. He's shown pretty clearly he is set in his ways and not the type to evolve/grow as a coach.

We lose Perkins (by far our best player) Krikke and Pat. Perkins is a huge loss. He’s the only big fast athletic guard we have. Freeman going to be a really really nice player. The other Freshmen it’s much to early to say but look to be role players not impact players. We need athleticism and players who can make plays. Next year going to be worse than this year.

Reactions: Barnbomber
They just made the tournament 4 years in a row. Now their performance in the tournament is certainly something to be upset about, for sure. Fran's teams just don't play defense well enough.
Correct.....no serious run. Not even a Sweet 16. Fran has been a head coach for what....30 years? Never been to a Sweet 16. No reason to think they will make a run in 2 years.

We lose Perkins (by far our best player) Krikke and Pat. Perkins is a huge loss. He’s the only big fast athletic guard we have. Freeman going to be a really really nice player. The other Freshmen it’s much to early to say but look to be role players not impact players. We need athleticism and players who can make plays. Next year going to be worse than this year.
Well, one would hope Fran tries to address that with the portal but we'll see.

Tough fans. I was under the belief that everyone knew this wasn't going to be a great year. I don't know about others expectations, but Iowa has outplayed what I thought they would be this year. They have a lot of young players playing major roles. That won't sit well with many it seems, but its the reality. It's really hard to consistently be top half of the Big Ten. Not even MSU has been able to keep that standard. I'm not sure why so many are so disappointed in the team this year.

Down year comments like it actually makes any difference.

Fran had one of the best conglomeration of talent and potential in terms of an Iowa roster for the 2021 NCAAT, but proceeded to frankly struggle a bit too much with their #15 matchup and then got flat out embarrassed in the next round as a 2-seed.

Next season saw that squad enter into the NCAAT having had a wildly successful last month & a half of the regular season and then an extremely wild successful BTT run on the way to being crowned BTT champions .... then promptly falls flat on their faces in the first round against a non-P5 12-seed.

BOTH of those seasons should have seen the Hawks in at least the Sweet16. Fran-ball instead flamed out with a white-hot intensity when it mattered most.

Those two seasons were Fran's ceiling, then and in the future - at iowa.

Reactions: littlez and NI hawk
Down year comments like it actually makes any difference.

Fran had one of the best conglomeration of talent and potential in terms of an Iowa roster for the 2021 NCAAT, but proceeded to frankly struggle a bit too much with their #15 matchup and then got flat out embarrassed in the next round as a 2-seed.

Next season saw that squad enter into the NCAAT having had a wildly successful last month & a half of the regular season and then an extremely wild successful BTT run on the way to being crowned BTT champions .... then promptly falls flat on their faces in the first round against a non-P5 12-seed.

BOTH of those seasons should have seen the Hawks in at least the Sweet16. Fran-ball instead flamed out with a white-hot intensity when it mattered most.

Those two seasons were Fran's ceiling, then and in the future - at iowa.
It's not like Iowa loses to a team that is hot goes on to make a nice tournament run. Iowa has lost to a lower seeded team 3 straight seasons in ncaa tournament. All three teams suffered double digit losses their next game.

I literally laughed out loud at this bolded part. What is “a serious run”? An early exit from the NCAA tournament? That’s the ceiling under Fran, period.

Tough fans. I was under the belief that everyone knew this wasn't going to be a great year. I don't know about others expectations, but Iowa has outplayed what I thought they would be this year. They have a lot of young players playing major roles. That won't sit well with many it seems, but its the reality. It's really hard to consistently be top half of the Big Ten. Not even MSU has been able to keep that standard. I'm not sure why so many are so disappointed in the team this year.
I got killed on here saying this was not going to be a good year this year before the season started. Others did too. I certainly don't remember you predicting that and taking the heat from the Fran apologists. My guess is your predicting it after the fact and didn't predict before the year started.

Reactions: DewHawk
I got killed on here saying this was not going to be a good year this year before the season started. Others did too. I certainly don't remember you predicting that and taking the heat from the Fran apologists. My guess is your predicting it after the fact and didn't predict before the year started.
I know the Creighton game gave me some false hope. I try to stay positive for the most part and don’t post too much negatives outside of IA offense in FB which has multiple years of being bottom dwellers. All that being said, I didn’t think this would be a good year for BB. I thought 10-10 in league was the ceiling for this team.

I literally laughed out loud at this bolded part. What is “a serious run”? An early exit from the NCAA tournament? That’s the ceiling under Fran, period.
Yeah…. All those other coaches Iowa had made the deep runs too! Didn’t we fire Tom Davis because ge made too many deep runs in the NCAA? Then got rid of bc Alford and Lickliter further same thing? Damn teasers!
Bring back that guy from Monroe! ;)

Yeah I could see making the NCAA next year--pretty easy bar, just need to finish in Top6 in B1G--ie. slightly above average among our B1G peers. Unless Iowa becomes an NIL powerhouse, the Deck is stacked against Iowa and other similar P5 teams in modern B-ball from making "serious run." which I would define as Elite8 or better. It would take a hall of fame type coach that can recruit and has X's and O's to get Iowa to make a serious run OR a guy that pushes the ethical limits in portal/recruiting/roster management.

I wouldn't call Iowa State a B-ball powerhouse, but they are a school with less natural gifts. They don't mind not being able to win most in state recruiting battles because they don't want the most of the players Fran recruits from Iowa. ISU had Elite 8 run in 2000 with Marcus Pfizer. They had Sweet16 with Hoiberg in 2014. In 2021 Otzelberger inherited a conference two-win team and led it to a 20-win improvement and the Sweet 16---i,e. he rescued the program from Lickliter level in a singe effing year.

Fran with 28 years of head coaching and no success in NCAA tourney---I think it is pretty good bet he doesn't ever make a ncaa run because his approach/system is flawed. He's shown pretty clearly he is set in his ways and not the type to evolve/grow as a coach.
Post of the Year nominee in February. Well done, HawkLogic.

I find it interesting how little Iowa fans expect from Fran. Watchin Otz for what is his 3rd year, I would believe that sweet 16 is the minimum goal for an Otz team, and honestly, not making the sweet 16 would be a let down. And yet Iowa fans set the bar at just making the tourney once in a while. Honestly ask yourself the question, is Fran the future of Iowa basketball? If not, can you really afford NOT to fire him at the end of the year. If the new AD wants to put her stamp on things, what is she going to do? Or maybe she does not want to rock the boat?

animal-house-bluto.png

I find it interesting how little Iowa fans expect from Fran. Watchin Otz for what is his 3rd year, I would believe that sweet 16 is the minimum goal for an Otz team, and honestly, not making the sweet 16 would be a let down. And yet Iowa fans set the bar at just making the tourney once in a while. Honestly ask yourself the question, is Fran the future of Iowa basketball? If not, can you really afford NOT to fire him at the end of the year. If the new AD wants to put her stamp on things, what is she going to do? Or maybe she does not want to rock the boat?
I agree with your comments, but do not think FM will be fired this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT