ADVERTISEMENT

And just like that, our season is effectively over.

Wrap this turd with a bow. It’s over. No postseason for this team and I’m fine with it. They would just shit the bed and coach would just play his kid regardless and flip us all the Bird doing it.

Pretty sure we'll make the NIT. Top two NET ranked teams in each power conference that miss the dance get automatic bids to the NIT. Right now we are 7th in the B10 and the six teams ahead are projected to make the NCAAs. It's pretty hard to move very much in those rankings at this point in the season, and I don't see the B10 only getting 4 teams in no matter how weak it is.

Reactions: warriors dad
Many of us felt we we're likely NIT bound this year.

That doesn't change the fact it's time for a coaching change. Fran's done a lot of good things at IA but it just feels like the time is right for a coaching change. The apathy is real - declining attendance despite a very favorable weekend schedule. Heck, the media is reporting upon it.

Lol that one loss seals the deal. Pathetic and emotional thinking.

It isn't the PSU loss, it is the 7 total losse in B1G play with home losses to Maryland, Michigan, Purdue. Teams need to win most of their home games do not have winning records in B1G play because road wins are rare.

Iowa has a very narrow path to make NCAA tourney. I don't think they have a chance of winning B1G tourney because we matchup horribly with Purdue.

meh

As with all fan bases there were some who had overblown expectations.

Those of us without the black and gold colored glasses saw things differently.

It's just another loss in a relatively forgettable season.
Making the NCAA tournament is overblown expectations?

Its Over Basketball GIF by NBA

I think we all knew that with 4 incoming freshman and 2 players from the portal would cause Iowa to lose some games because of unfamiliarity, but Krikke being up and down on offense and having no defense, Brauns basically a foul machine and getting few minutes, redshirting Mulvey, the only backup for Owen, the 4 freshman, Owen became a starter for rebounding and defense is really crafty around the basket and is refreshing to see playing actual defense and the other 3 seeing spot minutes not really providing much. Then there's up and down Patrick that is mostly a black hole, Sandfort that is on fire one game and nonexistent in others, Perkins has become the face of this team, but now that he is the focus of opposing defenses he has to work doubly hard to score and help Iowa from losing games, up to 10 now which is now 13 of 14 years of Fran's leadership.
Playing with guards that are not point guards is becoming a problem for Iowa and yes I know, Brock Harding is the only point guard Iowa has on it's roster, but we all saw how Iowa fell apart in the last 4 minutes of the Penn St game when Fran went with guards that can't handle pressure.
Fran just can't help himself. No matter how much he pushes the idea that positionless basketball is the future of college basketball it fails every year at Iowa.
Can't wait until the start of next year. No Krikke, hopefully no Patrick, and if anyone else wants to leave that's ok with me as long as it's not one of the 4 freshman. Hope Tony decides to return next year, that is all.

Finding 3 literal Diamonds in the Rough in Garza and the Murray Twins has basically allowed Fran to overstay his welcome at Iowa. Those guys were amazing players and Hawkeyes but now we have the hangover this year cause there isn’t anyone like those players on the roster. Perkins has really upped his game and deserves a lot of credit, and Freeman has been a nice surprise but they are not able to get this squad over the hump.

That's fine. Fact is we have lost several games we should have won this season. Good to know you are OK with that. 👍
I am not.

But my posts here are referring to the future (NCAA hopes not gone), not the past.

I posted back in June that we would miss the tournament this year and it would be the beginning of the end of the McCaffery era; the usual homers laughed at me.

With the loss to Penn State tonight our ability to earn an at-large bid is statistically over and I’m still doubting Fran returns for another season.
I posted back in June that we would miss the tournament this year and it would be the beginning of the end of the McCaffery era; the usual homers laughed at me.

With the loss to Penn State tonight our ability to earn an at-large bid is statistically over and I’m still doubting Fran returns for another season.
It was over just looking at the lineup at game 1. It looks more like an accounting intramural squad. Pitiful.

Reactions: littlez
We all knew this team would get pushed around both inside and outside. We all knew the defense would give up a ton of points. We hoped they would shoot well and not turn the ball over.

So, they shoot over 50%, but have 18 turnovers.

No, this team is not going to the Dance. If they can stay above .500 maybe they make the NIT.

I'm not one to pin everything on Fran, but I do have Fran-fatigue. Time to get someone that can put a B1G ready team on the floor.

I count (8) more games on the regular season schedule, plus Big 10 tournament, plus anything we might get a shot at after that,.. Chill OP, season isn't over.

Reactions: warriors dad
We all knew this team would get pushed around both inside and outside. We all knew the defense would give up a ton of points. We hoped they would shoot well and not turn the ball over.

No, this team is not going to the Dance. If they can stay above .500 maybe they make the NIT.

I'm not one to pin everything on Fran, but I do have Fran-fatigue. Time to get someone that can put a B1G ready team on the floor.
This post is pretty much spot on. Here is a quote from Fran after the game:

"We weren't tough enough at either end, and that's disappointing. We were really good at times, and we had individuals who were really good at times and that's encouraging. But we have to be tougher, especially on the road."

If your team is not tough, that is a reflection of you as a Coach. Period. I would be absolutely embarrassed to sit in a press conference and have to say my team was not tough. And I sure as shit wouldn’t just let it continue over and over. Iowa is soft, have pretty much always been under Fran and it’s infuriating.

I don’t watch the games anymore. I still check in or watch parts of them because I love the Hawks and the game. But I can’t stand how soft they play. I just get mad. I know I probably shouldn’t get so worked up about it but I do.

Say what you want about the ceiling Tom Davis had as a coach (for those of you that remember him), but his teams NEVER got out rebounded, and they ALWAYS shot more free throws than their opponents.

Many of us felt we we're likely NIT bound this year.

That doesn't change the fact it's time for a coaching change. Fran's done a lot of good things at IA but it just feels like the time is right for a coaching change. The apathy is real - declining attendance despite a very favorable weekend schedule. Heck, the media is reporting upon it.
You think Lickliter is available for Round 2? Maybe bring back the Indiana Flash?
How long does the “ new guy” get to hang banners before he is replaced?

At this point, who cares?
Same ole sh!t different season under Fran. Wake me when he trots into the sunset and takes Patrick with him.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

"I'm not one to pin everything on Fran, but I do have Fran-fatigue. Time to get someone that can put a B1G ready team on the floor."

Just curious then, who does deserve the criticism for this very very average team/results?

Reactions: Bee93
"I'm not one to pin everything on Fran, but I do have Fran-fatigue. Time to get someone that can put a B1G ready team on the floor."

Just curious then, who does deserve the criticism for this very very average team/results?
At the end of the day, the HC.

But I'm not going to snip at him for player rotations, time-outs, calling the wrong play or being in a bad defense (well, they are all bad). Players and asst coaches make mistakes too. Not everything that happens on the floor is Fran's fault.

Big picture, the teams he puts on the floor are usually, and tragically, flawed. Post players that can't play defense or rebound, guards that don't handle the ball or shoot well - Iowa doesn't seem to be able to put 5 guys on the floor that belong in B1G games. much less have 8 or 9 guys. Losing 4 guys to the NBA early surely didn't help that.

Reactions: DewHawk
I think we all knew that with 4 incoming freshman and 2 players from the portal would cause Iowa to lose some games because of unfamiliarity, but Krikke being up and down on offense and having no defense, Brauns basically a foul machine and getting few minutes, redshirting Mulvey, the only backup for Owen, the 4 freshman, Owen became a starter for rebounding and defense is really crafty around the basket and is refreshing to see playing actual defense and the other 3 seeing spot minutes not really providing much. Then there's up and down Patrick that is mostly a black hole, Sandfort that is on fire one game and nonexistent in others, Perkins has become the face of this team, but now that he is the focus of opposing defenses he has to work doubly hard to score and help Iowa from losing games, up to 10 now which is now 13 of 14 years of Fran's leadership.
Playing with guards that are not point guards is becoming a problem for Iowa and yes I know, Brock Harding is the only point guard Iowa has on it's roster, but we all saw how Iowa fell apart in the last 4 minutes of the Penn St game when Fran went with guards that can't handle pressure.
Fran just can't help himself. No matter how much he pushes the idea that positionless basketball is the future of college basketball it fails every year at Iowa.
Can't wait until the start of next year. No Krikke, hopefully no Patrick, and if anyone else wants to leave that's ok with me as long as it's not one of the 4 freshman. Hope Tony decides to return next year, that is all.
Great post!👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT