ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Tippett

Andre indeed was bad ass. I seem to recall he's a proficient martial artist, too.

People always like to talk about how Fry was this offensive genius, but the 1981 defense might be the best of my lifetime, and AT was the anchor of it.

Yes, Hayden had the offense rolling from about 1983 through 1988 for sure (until Snyder left). Still some good offenses during the Rodgers years (early 1990s). But the 1981 team had a great defense, arguably the best collegiate punter ever (Reggie Roby) and rode that to the Rose Bowl. Beat #6 Nebraska, #7 UCLA and #5 Michigan by scores of 10-7, 20-7 and 9-7. Also lost to Iowa State and Minnesota believe it or not 12-10. The pitchforks would have been out for Fry for sure if social media existed back then losing to Minnesota 12-10 at home. That particular defense was tremendous.

I remember Iowa beating Michigan, raising the profile of the team nationally. I remember listening to it on radio and it seemed unreal, Iowa actually beating a team like Michigan. When I was a kid, the mere thought of beating either Michigan or OSU was...unthinkable. Even after beating Nebraska and UCLA earlier that year, still didn't really feel possible.

Following Michigan, they played Minnesota on ABC regional, only the second time I remember Iowa actually being on television (1st was the reunion Iowa/ISU game). Sort of that team's "coming out party".

They lost, at home, to Minnesota. Very depressing to watch. Actually, all the losses that year were pretty baffling. The common denominator was the lack of offense. All the losses were games where Iowa gave up double figures. All but 1 victory, single digits.

But damn, what a defense.

I remember Iowa beating Michigan, raising the profile of the team nationally. I remember listening to it on radio and it seemed unreal, Iowa actually beating a team like Michigan. When I was a kid, the mere thought of beating either Michigan or OSU was...unthinkable. Even after beating Nebraska and UCLA earlier that year, still didn't really feel possible.

Following Michigan, they played Minnesota on ABC regional, only the second time I remember Iowa actually being on television (1st was the reunion Iowa/ISU game). Sort of that team's "coming out party".

They lost, at home, to Minnesota. Very depressing to watch. Actually, all the losses that year were pretty baffling. The common denominator was the lack of offense. All the losses were games where Iowa gave up double figures. All but 1 victory, single digits.

Bill Brashier might be the most respected of Fry’s assistants (amongst coaches)

Ole Hayden said it himself, he knew they would have to rely on defense and field position in the early years (or maybe Danny Mac said it?). Anyway, that's why RR was such a big get for Iowa.

AT abused Michigan. The play that sealed it AT bull rushed the Mich tackle and sacked the great Steve Smith. Love watching those highlights.

Reactions: iowa surfer
1 of 3 Hawkeyes to be elected into the Pro football hall of fame along with Krause and E. Tunnell (not to many people knew that Emlen Tunnell was the first black player elected into the hall and the first defensive player elected as well right from University of Iowa) Great elite company of Hawkeyes for Andre to be in!
You forgot Duke Slater and Alex Karras

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

If I remember, they were really beaten up by then. Nebby, ISU, and UCLA in consecutive weeks to start the season. ISU had a good team by their standards in 81. Crutchfield made an NFL roster. There was decent talent on offense but not any depth and QB wasn't anything special that year. Gales or Bohannon. Olejnczak was a huge part of the offense; losing him against UCLA really hurt the offense going forward. And yes, the defense and punter made that the season it was. I was a freshman. A magical time.

If I remember, they were really beaten up by then. Nebby, ISU, and UCLA in consecutive weeks to start the season. ISU had a good team by their standards in 81. Crutchfield made an NFL roster. There was decent talent on offense but not any depth and QB wasn't anything special that year. Gales or Bohannon. Olejnczak was a huge part of the offense; losing him against UCLA really hurt the offense going forward. And yes, the defense and punter made that the season it was. I was a freshman. A magical time.
I was a freshman, too. I had worked for a few years after high school and came to Iowa fall of 81. That season was magical. I sat in the north bleachers and made a lot of friends that year.

I was a freshman, too. I had worked for a few years after high school and came to Iowa fall of 81. That season was magical. I sat in the north bleachers and made a lot of friends that year.

I was on about the five-yard-line 60 some rows up. Trying to remember what a student season ticket was. $45?

I was on about the five-yard-line 60 some rows up. Trying to remember what a student season ticket was. $45?
Cheap. I brought homemade peppermint schnapps in a bota (legal). Generally my row stayed warm. We had a blast at the MI State game when Iowa won to go to the Rose Bowl.

I was living on a floor in a house with 3 other guys, each with our own bedroom, $145/month each. It was a hovel but was within walking distance of campus. Some of the best years of my life.

Reactions: iowa surfer
Andre Tippett was, in fact, an expert martial artist. He gave that training a lot of the credit for his football success. Makes sense. Seems like dance and martial arts would be interesting additions to off-season training. Might even be more important than all that weight lifting. I don't know how many weights Andre lifted, but my guess is--like most players in that era--pretty damn few.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT