ADVERTISEMENT

Ankeny school board meeting updates

Has the definition of close contact changed? Are the staff vaccinated? What’s the vaccination rate amongst eligible students?

No change to definition of close contact other than vaccinated kids and adults don't have to quarantine. We will institute a mask mandate next week as our state health department has said you don't have to quarantine close contacts if everyone is wearing a mask.

Staff vaccination rate is ~77% for all staff, ~82% for certified staff and ~72% for classified staff.

As best as we can tell the student vaccination rate is ~38% in grades 9-12 and ~30% in grades 7 & 8.

This whole conversation is ridiculous. Elementary age kids have not had the opportunity to get vaccinated. It should just be standard protocol for any elementary school based on guidance from public health professionals to wear a mask. My kids wear one every day to elementary and do not care one bit about it. Also, a little off topic, but who brings their kids to these school board meetings and protests?….. people are nuts….kids don’t care about this stuff.

If your kids are in Ankeny and don't want to mask easy solution....open enroll them at Saydel.

Good chance they will be a sport stud there too.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Sounds like the mask mandate is going well in Ankeny:

From ToS:
"Report I got this am from my stepson’s Ankeny elementary was that mask/unmask ratio was 50/50 and principal was outside collecting “religious exemption” forms and had a fat stack."

From ToS:
"Report I got this am from my stepson’s Ankeny elementary was that mask/unmask ratio was 50/50 and principal was outside collecting “religious exemption” forms and had a fat stack."
But that's because people are using bogus loopholes to get around doing what they should do. Very common for right wingers and the self centered.

From ToS:
Any religious exemption should be accompanied by an essay specifically stating where in their religious book/doctrine exempts the vaccine, and why the passage(s) is so meaningful to them and the impact it has on their daily lives.

Last edited:
Post from an Iowa teacher from another site on how school has been going the last couple of years.
Here is what people’s response to Covid has done to kids in real life:

”I spend every day getting slapped in the face by Covid: my district basically didn't even try to educate kids in spring of 2020 and didn't ask teachers to prepare to teach virtually, then came up with the worst possible plan for the 20/21 school year that essentially made school an option for everyone. Everyday I see 16 year olds who have the behavior and emotions of 6th graders. Half of the school's kids are taking multiple LA classes this term because they failed so many classes last term, and 26 of the 54 10th graders I see in my non-advanced classes have GPAs of 1.1 or lower. Today my kids have to take a 40-question computerized test and they are flipping the **** out because their brains can't concentrate on anything. I had a kid get through 18 questions in 90 minutes. I also can't get kids to show up regularly: I was trying to put together some data on a couple skills I've assessed early on this year and I couldn't come up with data to show improvement for about 40% of my students - and that includes my top-level kids - because they haven't been here to complete multiple assessments on the same skill.

Our response to Covid has failed a bunch of kids. Just miserably failed them. And everytime we do anything to wait for it to go away we make it easier for the kids to say "eh, this is like last year when we didn't have to do shit." I see it every. goddamn. day. It's very different in a place that has about 60% of the population living somewhere between paycheck-to-paycheck and poor to generationally-hopeless poor. No one gives a **** about masks here because so much of the population doesn't have the energy to give a **** about anything. The last 19 months have broken them like a CMC-coached football team.

Anything that smells like "just wait this out and it'll be better when x happens" can lick my balls. I'm sick of that mindset.”
Weren’t schools shut down by COVID Kim in the spring of ‘20? Who is leading the Board of Ed in Iowa that didn’t prepare fir remote learning. Perhaps you are voting for the wrong people.

But that's because people are using bogus loopholes to get around doing what they should do. Very common for right wingers and the self centered.

Which is exactly what was always going to happen. All that fight and anger...for practically nothing.

Still trying to figure out how religion plays a part in to wear or not wear a mask to reduce the risk of spread. I also cannot believe that a virus with health risks has been made into a political issue. Saw some Col saying he is trying to get out of the service because he refuses to take the covid vaccine due to freedom and yet he's taken all of the other vaccines and stuff that are mandatory... but covid vaccine is different due to politics.

That sumbitch needs to be charged with assault! There is no excuse for a comment like this at a public forum meeting. Stupidity and ignorance is not an excuse.,
I would have responded by letting him know I was well armed and looked forward to see him try to come by my house.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Same here. The number of kids we already had/have out is astonishing compared to last year. Many of them really sick, too.

Just curious west really sick means? Like they have a normal cold or hospitalized?

Still trying to figure out how religion plays a part in to wear or not wear a mask to reduce the risk of spread. I also cannot believe that a virus with health risks has been made into a political issue. Saw some Col saying he is trying to get out of the service because he refuses to take the covid vaccine due to freedom and yet he's taken all of the other vaccines and stuff that are mandatory... but covid vaccine is different due to politics.

Probably because statistically it's not that big of deal. But I do agree it seems pretty dumb given all they take.

Now we have a student who refuses to take off their hat - coming from mom - because if kids don't have to follow the mask policy, their kid doesn't have to follow the hat policy. Fun times.

It’s blocking falling covid droplets.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Now we have a student who refuses to take off their hat - coming from mom - because if kids don't have to follow the mask policy, their kid doesn't have to follow the hat policy. Fun times.
Is either part of the dress code?

Which is exactly what was always going to happen. All that fight and anger...for practically nothing.
Lol - no. It was going to happen some places - those that have been most influenced by Trump and Q. Those places need to have it enforced. We can't let degenerate fools hijack the well being of our children.

Wanna clean up Ankeny?

Vote for this guy for mayor:

242707830_119810493753137_876642811279039442_n.jpg

Any religious exemption should be accompanied by an essay specifically stating where in their religious book/doctrine exempts the vaccine, and why the passage(s) is so meaningful to them and the impact it has on their daily lives.
And they shouldn’t have MMR vax or current tetanus.

Reactions: dirtypool
Somebody confirm the Ankeny data, I passed it along to a friend that lives down there and he doesn't buy it. He is vaccinated and a masker.

Just curious west really sick means? Like they have a normal cold or hospitalized?
High fever, sinus pressure, runny nose, constant cough and sneezing, body aches, chills, fatigue, etc.

Pretty telling when tough kids who never miss school are gone for several days and tell you just how shitty it was when they get back.

No deaths or hospitalizations yet, so that's good I guess. Although we just had a healthy 32 year old mom die of it last week. No idea if it came from school or not obviously.

“The Ankeny Community School District has received more than 1,400 requests from parents that students be exempt from the district's mask requirement, with nearly all claiming a "conflict with a genuine and sincere religious belief."

According to numbers obtained by the Des Moines Register, the district has recorded 1,408 mask exemptions for students. Of those, 63 were granted for medical reasons, while 1,345 were granted on religious grounds. Of the more than 12,000 students enrolled in the district in the 2020-21 school year, the exemptions would represent more than 11% of the student body.”

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...r1cg4t9aOL0FU41uVVHkIHYGh0rRUXMewHYDtI3xVtD-E

20 bucks says of the 1345 granted exemptions for religious purposes, 99 percent of them haven’t been to church in years. If ever. I personally know several families that signed up for the exemption because “we have the right to choose what’s best for our kids” and “no one’s gonna tell me or my family what to do.”

20 bucks says of the 1345 granted exemptions for religious purposes, 99 percent of them haven’t been to church in years. If ever. I personally know several families that signed up for the exemption because “we have the right to choose what’s best for our kids” and “no one’s gonna tell me or my family what to do.”
Those were going to be commandments 11 and 12 but they ran out of room on the tablet.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
“The Ankeny Community School District has received more than 1,400 requests from parents that students be exempt from the district's mask requirement, with nearly all claiming a "conflict with a genuine and sincere religious belief."

According to numbers obtained by the Des Moines Register, the district has recorded 1,408 mask exemptions for students. Of those, 63 were granted for medical reasons, while 1,345 were granted on religious grounds. Of the more than 12,000 students enrolled in the district in the 2020-21 school year, the exemptions would represent more than 11% of the student body.”

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...r1cg4t9aOL0FU41uVVHkIHYGh0rRUXMewHYDtI3xVtD-E
Those are your people. Good company to squander with.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT