ADVERTISEMENT

Announced Attendance for Southern? 11,397

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Sounds about right. ;)

I am glad they sold the tickets, at least, but CHA sure looked empty.

Any idea what we paid Southern to come to Iowa City?

Hard to think we even would break even on this game.

They must count cars in the lots and multiply by 6.

Tickets sold is ne number and is good for the bottom line, but fans in the stands is a measure of support for the team. They can your ticket to get in CHA, if only there was a way to accumulate that information.

Last edited:
Less than 12k and that is with the students still on campus? It is not like it was a 9 PM Thursday night game. Does the Iowa fan base just not like basketball anymore?

In thr flip side, Iowa St had 14k at their game on Sunday. Not sure how they continue to have sell outs each year.

Sounds about right. ;)

I am glad they sold the tickets, at least, but CHA sure looked empty.

Any idea what we paid Southern to come to Iowa City?

Hard to think we even would break even on this game.

Less than 12k and that is with the students still on campus? It is not like it was a 9 PM Thursday night game. Does the Iowa fan base just not like basketball anymore?

In thr flip side, Iowa St had 14k at their game on Sunday. Not sure how they continue to have sell outs each year.

This has been talked about before. Iowa basketball doesn't have the die-hard support football does. They've gone through some lean years since Tom Davis left, Carver Hawkeye Arena is dull, and the team sucks this year. In comparison, Iowa St. has had a lot of recent success and their venue is nice.

Reactions: IGot5onIt
It was 2/3 full for a game against psu. A conference game. On a Saturday. I think I was the only one that made any noise for a 30 ft radius around me in my section. Student section was a morgue.
Is it any wonder that not many want to spend the time and money to see them play a punching bag after how bad they've been.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Because his job is observe and report and share his opinions.
Think about it. You want BTN making comments on all the lousy attendance across the league, Riley getting booed every game, crowd always leaves early at this arena, etc. Leave that reporting to the local media.

Last edited:
I have had season tix for the last 12 years and I'll be honest, I can't remember a season where I skipped more early season games than this year. Skipped Southern. I'm not even sure why, I just didn't want to make the effort to get there.

Carver is nicer than Hilton. The main difference is student buy-in.
This^.
The student seating at CHA has been a bone of contention with me, for 3 decades. And it's rooted in greed, pure and simple. Our student atmosphere at CHA is embarrassing and it starts with the AD.
Do what's right and give the students the floor, opposite the benches. Energy is contagious.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Just curious as I havent been to a game at Carver in a few years. Where is the student section now?

This^.
The student seating at CHA has been a bone of contention with me, for 3 decades. And it's rooted in greed, pure and simple. Our student atmosphere at CHA is embarrassing and it starts with the AD.
Do what's right and give the students the floor, opposite the benches. Energy is contagious.

Just curious as I havent been to a game at Carver in a few years. Where is the student section now?
carver2011.jpg

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Now take the 7 sections that are highlighted "student sections" and cut it down to 2 and you have the number of actual students that attend the games.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
No. Do not give the students good seats until they demonstrate commitment. That would look even worse.

Carver is tough because the seats are a ways from the floor due to the oval shape, where as Hilton is a traditional rectangle. The students sit behind the hoops but there is enough of a cultural thing going that they dont care.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to visiting fans who were impressed by the unique “pit”layout of carver. The video boards only made it better. Now, we need the fans to embrace it. It gets deafening when full.

Are they potentially charging too much at attend?
They gave them the worst seats. You have to look at all of the factors. What's the competition for a student's $$? Video games, TV, School work, social events, etc. You gotta up your game if you want to attract a good student atmosphere.

No. Do not give the students good seats until they demonstrate commitment. That would look even worse.

Carver is tough because the seats are a ways from the floor due to the oval shape, where as Hilton is a traditional rectangle. The students sit behind the hoops but there is enough of a cultural thing going that they dont care.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to visiting fans who were impressed by the unique “pit”layout of carver. The video boards only made it better. Now, we need the fans to embrace it. It gets deafening when full.
This attitude is the reason why we have no student representation. Start with a small section on the sideline and see what happens. We've never even attempted it.

For the tuition they pay, students should get the best seats in the house. 11,400 for a December game when the team is struggling is not bad. They never should have built it across the river and so far from campus, for that matter they simply should have kept using the old Fieldhouse.

For the tuition they pay, students should get the best seats in the house. 11,400 for a December game when the team is struggling is not bad. They never should have built it across the river and so far from campus, for that matter they simply should have kept using the old Fieldhouse.
Attendance wasn’t anywhere near 11,400 yesterday.

Getting season tickets in Hilton pretty much requires getting on a waiting list. Season tickets to Iowa cost 325 plus a donation in some seats. If you are a new ticket buyer in Ames, and want to get into the lower section(not students), it will cost you $15,000 every year. And there is a waiting list with at least 50 people on it at this rate.

That map above isn't accurate. The students get section I, J, K.

They also get the first 9 rows directly behind the hoop.

I tried selling my 4 tickets for $20 total on Sunday and didn't get 1 reply.
Then put them on stubhub for $6 each, which is the lowest price possible, and they didn't even sell.
If that doesn't say how the fans feel about the team, then I don't know what does.

I tried selling my 4 tickets for $20 total on Sunday and didn't get 1 reply.
Then put them on stubhub for $6 each, which is the lowest price possible, and they didn't even sell.
If that doesn't say how the fans feel about the team, then I don't know what does.

I am surprised there is not a University web site where people who cannot use or sell their tix can post them and then people can go grab them and use them; do you think this would work? its better to have the tix used than not, imo

Reactions: nu2u
It was 2/3 full for a game against psu. A conference game. On a Saturday. I think I was the only one that made any noise for a 30 ft radius around me in my section. Student section was a morgue.
Is it any wonder that not many want to spend the time and money to see them play a punching bag after how bad they've been.

I really felt any decent crowd would have helped Iowa win the PSU game.
I believe Gasser was absent and, since he spurs the crowd to actually stand and cheer upon occasion, the crowd never responded (noticeably on television) to any of the numerous runs Iowa made to pull within 2 or 3. I was yelling at the crowd, “ Please!! Stand!!!!”

Really, which venues are easier than Carver? Rutgers? Penn State? Who am I missing?

I will always go back to Iowa having a ton of empty seats against Minnesota as the number 3 team in the nation a few years ago. That night kind of set in stone for me that Iowa no longer, really no matter what, would truly get mad again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT