ADVERTISEMENT

Annual LOL at Cedar Rapids thread...

Can you huff the methane from the ventilation pipes?
What I can’t figure out is how much it will settle? A lot of what’s in the pile will decompose eventually.
Don’t you live in mason city?

What I can’t figure out is how much it will settle? A lot of what’s in the pile will decompose eventually.
I don’t believe there are any actual structures on it.

Weirdly enough, there is a Mt Trashmore in Virginia, Florida, and Illinois too. Plus parks similar to this in every state in the continental US.

Funny you say. Last Sunday was a Crunch Berry day. The only other day better is PB Crunch day, with regular Cap’n Crunch days right behind. Downtown always smells great. The only bad smell is PMX across the river. Some people don’t like the Brewer’s Yeast down the way, but it reminds me of root beer.

If so, avoid the monstrous things they do to it in the QC.
Isn’t it ADM Corn Sweetners on the south side of town that that creates that sweet but nasty smell?

Also, VA Beach, VA has a Mt Trashmore too that is a park with pipes coming out of the ground to release the methane gas….

Funny you say. Last Sunday was a Crunch Berry day. The only other day better is PB Crunch day, with regular Cap’n Crunch days right behind. Downtown always smells great. The only bad smell is PMX across the river. Some people don’t like the Brewer’s Yeast down the way, but it reminds me of root beer.

If so, avoid the monstrous things they do to it in the QC.
I was making a joke. I have no idea if that smell still exists. Growing up in IC, every couple years or so, the winds would be just right to smell that odor from that factory. That’s 30 miles away. Crazy strong smell.

JFC, they actually call it Mt Trashmore? Lol, as a former Cedar Rapidian, I’m embarrassed. Every time I come back I wonder how the hell I lived there for so long.
How long did you live in CR for? I find it hard to believe you never heard of Mt. Trashmore if you lived here so long. Were you in a coma during your residency? It is what it is... at least here I don't have to see the "great" state of Illinois everyday.

Born and raised in CR. Was a great place to grow up and plenty of white- and blue-collar work.
After Clinton signed the trade act things went downhill with company's leaving through closure.
The area you are speaking about was a bad area to begin with and turned into the dump.
When it became full, they landscaped it into a useful area rather than a crappy area like it was before.
Yeah, the name is strange to a person not knowing it's origination but is what it is.
Have not lived there since 92 due to work leaving in my job classification. Still have relatives living there that
I visit a couple times a year. There are lots worse places to live than CR.

girl-smile.gif

wedding-crashers-motorboat.gif

Iowa City not only has the best tire fires, they also built the city bus barn on the old land fill which is now sinking into the tarn...​

1.3 Million Tires Burning In Iowa City Landfill

Posted on June 4, 2012 by Trish Nelson

Iowa City landfill fire last Sunday morning.
Update: Click here for the June 4 update on the plan to extinguish the fire.
It is estimated that the equivalent of 1.3 million tires are currently burning on the west side of Iowa City.
There is little detailed information available and a disturbing lack of local reporting on the landfill fire so far. No mention of it at all in the Iowa City Press-Citizen Sunday. And you can scan today’s P-C also and find not a single line devoted to information or a progress update on what has been done and what is being done to extinguish the fire. It’s as if we’re pretending it’s not happening.
Someone pointed out that living near the landfill fire isn’t as bad as living near a CAFO, a permanent problem. That is a very good point assuming they will ever put the tires out.
So no local reporting, but there is a Facebook page! You can go there and make comments and ask questions.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iowa-City-Landfill-Fire/247053792067064
Best Q asked on the FB page:
“With the equivalent of 1.3 million tires burning, this fire is among the larger tire fires experienced in the United States, many of which took weeks and months to self-extinguish. On what basis does the City estimate this will only last into next week?”

• Wow
Reactions: torbee
Born and raised in CR. Was a great place to grow up and plenty of white- and blue-collar work.
After Clinton signed the trade act things went downhill with company's leaving through closure.
The area you are speaking about was a bad area to begin with and turned into the dump.
When it became full, they landscaped it into a useful area rather than a crappy area like it was before.
Yeah, the name is strange to a person not knowing it's origination but is what it is.
Have not lived there since 92 due to work leaving in my job classification. Still have relatives living there that
I visit a couple times a year. There are lots worse places to live than CR.
They were ready to cap it in the late 2000s, or may have already, and then they reopened it for all of the flood debris in 2008. That probably add a few feet to the pile.

Amateur Hour.

We built a bridge to our riverfront ballpark so they can keep playing IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOD.

bp14.jpg

Lol! Ok, that is pretty awesome.
That is awesome. What's also awesome is that CR has a historic venue, with a giant stained glass window by perhaps the most influential artist in American history, that has hosted everyone from Presidents and Vice Presidents, to Johnny Cash, to Fats Domino, to Metallica, to many future boxing champions ON A RIVER ISLAND!…

Last edited:
I think that pic is from Virginia’s Mt Trashmore.
I went toi the website on the sigh and it appears to be the one in Iowa - it has it's own page:

That is awesome. What's also awesome is that CR has a historic venue, with a giant stained glass window by perhaps America's most influential artist, that has hosted everyone from Presidents and Vice Presidents, to Johnny Cash, to Fats Domino, to Metallica, to many future boxing champions...

To bad they had to go from the real eternal flame to the one shown on this video.
I used to go to professional wrestling matches back in the early 70's there.
Pat O'Connor was one I remember. Nothing like you see today on tv.

Iowa City not only has the best tire fires, they also built the city bus barn on the old land fill which is now sinking into the tarn...​

1.3 Million Tires Burning In Iowa City Landfill

Posted on June 4, 2012 by Trish Nelson

Iowa City landfill fire last Sunday morning.
Update: Click here for the June 4 update on the plan to extinguish the fire.
It is estimated that the equivalent of 1.3 million tires are currently burning on the west side of Iowa City.
There is little detailed information available and a disturbing lack of local reporting on the landfill fire so far. No mention of it at all in the Iowa City Press-Citizen Sunday. And you can scan today’s P-C also and find not a single line devoted to information or a progress update on what has been done and what is being done to extinguish the fire. It’s as if we’re pretending it’s not happening.
Someone pointed out that living near the landfill fire isn’t as bad as living near a CAFO, a permanent problem. That is a very good point assuming they will ever put the tires out.
So no local reporting, but there is a Facebook page! You can go there and make comments and ask questions.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iowa-City-Landfill-Fire/247053792067064
Best Q asked on the FB page:
“With the equivalent of 1.3 million tires burning, this fire is among the larger tire fires experienced in the United States, many of which took weeks and months to self-extinguish. On what basis does the City estimate this will only last into next week?”
But on a positive note, no nukes came through and/or were involved.

For the record, I like Cedar Rapids quite a bit.

I just find Mt. Trashmore to be an irresistible target for ridicule.

Reminds me of of Springfield's decades-long tire fire:

giphy.gif
We don't have a tire fire but we did have the abandoned sewage plant fire. It even had a name. Toxic Tuesday. We're so clever!

Reactions: GOHOX69
How long did you live in CR for? I find it hard to believe you never heard of Mt. Trashmore if you lived here so long. Were you in a coma during your residency? It is what it is... at least here I don't have to see the "great" state of Illinois everyday.
32 years. Of course I‘ve heard of, smelled, seen, and spoken of Mt Trashmore. What I find hilarious is they officially coined the term and placed the name on a goddamn sign, lol.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT