ADVERTISEMENT

Another Disasterous Weekend for Softball

73chief

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2002
Went 0-3 against Minnesota by a combined score of 25-0. That's correct. A weekend shut out. Each game ended by the 5th inning run rule. How Looper keeps her job after this season will be beyond me. She is reaching Sharon Dingman territory in regards to fielding completely un-competitive teams.

Reactions: hawkaholic
Need to win a game this weekend to avoid a 40-loss season.

Going to give the pitching a break given the personnel problems, the fact Shayla is holding her own and that more depth (hopefully another legitimate pitcher or two) is on the way.

But the hitting :eek:
Nine hits on the week and four of them (including the only two RBIs) from the senior.
With only one position player coming in next season there needs to be A LOT of improvement with the existing bunch -- or it's going to get worse before it gets better!

Want to see something depressing? Head over to the B10 stats page. My impression had been we were slightly improved offensively, and that Starkenburg had dropped her ERA a lot from last year, but the numbers are still ugly.

The way the schedule shook out hasn't helped much. After this weekend we will have played the top 5 teams in the conference and won't play either Indiana or MSU. As poor as we are we might have swept both of them. And part of that big pile of L's is our fairly tough non-conference schedule.

The field hockey situation is providing Looper an umbrella, and I doubt anything happens until that is resolved.

Went 0-3 against Minnesota by a combined score of 25-0. That's correct. A weekend shut out. Each game ended by the 5th inning run rule. How Looper keeps her job after this season will be beyond me. She is reaching Sharon Dingman territory in regards to fielding completely un-competitive teams.
That was certainly disastrous, but they did win games in the previous weekends, so lets say they were less disastrous.

Clinched a B1G tournament birth with Wisconsin losing both their games yesterday. There were times this year when I didn't think that would happen. Congrats on that!

Hopefully we can send Megan B. out with a win or two this weekend and steal a game next weekend!

I think she may pass Dingman by the soon to be end of the season.

Has Iowa softball ever had a 40 loss season? Heck when was the last time they were 16-37?

Don't know for sure, but would guess 37 losses are an all time high. Will be interesting to see how next years non-conference schedule is constructed - in hindsight a lot of those L's came against programs we really aren't competitive with and were pretty much guaranteed losses from the start.

Funny - while watching Iowa-Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago, it struck me that neither team really looked bad. We're similar in our lack of power and mediocre (to put it kindly) pitching, but both looked good in the field IMHO, with the Badgers having probably better speed in the outfield and on the bases. But the W/L records of both are just ghastly. Wonder what the heck happened up in Madison?

Don't know for sure, but would guess 37 losses are an all time high. Will be interesting to see how next years non-conference schedule is constructed - in hindsight a lot of those L's came against programs we really aren't competitive with and were pretty much guaranteed losses from the start.

Funny - while watching Iowa-Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago, it struck me that neither team really looked bad. We're similar in our lack of power and mediocre (to put it kindly) pitching, but both looked good in the field IMHO, with the Badgers having probably better speed in the outfield and on the bases. But the W/L records of both are just ghastly. Wonder what the heck happened up in Madison?

Agreed that we had no business being in any type of tournament setting that required multiple games against Florida, Oklahoma, Louisiana-Lafayette, Oregon or a series with Missouri. However, we also lost games to the likes of Hofstra, Princeton, Missouri State, Western Illinois, Drake, and North Dakota State. Under Blevins these were teams to pad the schedule in order to give her back-ups a chance to get some experience.

I have a quick question what time does the gates open for a softball game on this sunday. do they get good crowds to the games.

I have a quick question what time does the gates open for a softball game on this sunday. do they get good crowds to the games.

Usually an hour before the first pitch. You won't have trouble getting a very good seat

Brandon gates open an hour and half before first pitch. Been good crowds last night and today.

Been looking at the media guide and the W/L records. The first coach Jane Hagedorn's most losses were in 1980 at 9-25. Ginny Parrish's most losses were in 1984 at 24-28. Gayle Blevins most losses were in 1990 at 43-28. The most losses in one season had been last year's 16-30, and last seasons wins were the fewest since 1980. To be fair, coach Blevins last season featured her fewest wins at 25-23. Looper actually won 27 in both of her first two seasons.

Yes, when playing the first 2 years with Gayle Blevins recruits, even Looper managed to look capable.

Wait...why did we run off the winningest softball coach in school history again?

I've heard the girl from Dallas is a good pitcher. Erin Riding. Will be good to have her next year. Does anyone know if there are other pitchers we've signed?

Mallory Kilian is another pitcher coming in next year. She's an Iowa kid and got the chance to meet them this weekend. Great family

Yes, when playing the first 2 years with Gayle Blevins recruits, even Looper managed to look capable.

Wait...why did we run off the winningest softball coach in school history again?

Well, rumor on the old Hawkeye Hideout site was that several players went to Blevins complaining about one of the asst. coaches. Following her refusal to take whatever action was demanded, the players then went to Barta. After first saying he did not forsee any coaching changes, he then announced Blevin's sudden "retirement". I'm hoping the field hockey situation eventually sheds some light on what really happened with Blevins.

Looks like perhaps a lively discussion in the Lounge. Does anyone have access to see what's being said?

Simple fact is if it doesn't turn around she won't be around. I just happen to believe there's good things coming. I'm just as unhappy with their record as everyone else but I also have a good idea of what's coming in the next couple years coupled with what's already here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT