ADVERTISEMENT

Any Bee Keepers Here?

Mar 11, 2020
Thinking of putting a Hive on my property,I'll be starting with just one unless someone has a great reason. My main focus would be more pollination around the property and enjoying the honey.

Just getting started, with our climate I believe I need a 2 case box and the "super"(?) On top. Anyone have any good brands? ( you can spend 1200 bucks on the "flow" brand, yeesh)

I've read quite a bit about insects that can get into the boxes and it seems being in a full sun environment is my best insecticide( if you will), thoughts on location or things to consider?

Tips and tricks? " if I were just getting started I would put my extra money towards xxxxxxx, it will make life easier" type stuff?

Thinking of putting a Hive on my property,I'll be starting with just one unless someone has a great reason. My main focus would be more pollination around the property and enjoying the honey.

Just getting started, with our climate I believe I need a 2 case box and the "super"(?) On top. Anyone have any good brands? ( you can spend 1200 bucks on the "flow" brand, yeesh)

I've read quite a bit about insects that can get into the boxes and it seems being in a full sun environment is my best insecticide( if you will), thoughts on location or things to consider?

Tips and tricks? " if I were just getting started I would put my extra money towards xxxxxxx, it will make life easier" type stuff?
I used to be, but I divorced her.

I kept bees for several years. Just one hive. But, I kept losing them over the winter.
It's not as 'hands off' as I would have preferred, and not as easy as it sounds.
I did enjoy it though. Just stopped buying replacement bees after a few years, because it seemed like the same thing was going to keep happening.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
If you're going to do it, look around and you might find someone selling equipment if you didn't want to buy new. Having a 'mentor' or someone experienced is a huge help.

Just start with a 10 frame hive body and a honey super on top of it.
Dadent and Mann Lake are the big equipment suppliers.

I kept bees for several years. Just one hive. But, I kept losing them over the winter.
It's not as 'hands off' as I would have preferred, and not as easy as it sounds.
I did enjoy it though. Just stopped buying replacement bees after a few years, because it seemed like the same thing was going to keep happening.
Due to our cold weather or pest?

If you're going to do it, look around and you might find someone selling equipment if you didn't want to buy new. Having a 'mentor' or someone experienced is a huge help.

Just start with a 10 frame hive body and a honey super on top of it.
Dadent and Mann Lake are the big equipment suppliers.
You like 10 over 8? Advantage or disadvantages?

You like 10 over 8? Advantage or disadvantages?
Well...now I'm questioning which I have. Pick the most popular, it doesn't matter that much, other than being able to match all your equipment and buy used stuff that will work with what you've got.

Not sure exactly what caused the die off. Even the best of the beekeepers I knew were losing like half their hives each winter. It was probably a combination of mites and weather (poor ventilation got me one year), and other factors.

A former co-worker’s dad produced honey on a fairly large scale as a side- gig for a long time, and I used to ask him a lot of questions about it because I thought it was interesting. You’re obviously not going to be at that scale, but it’s still a lot of work.
Bees will go about a mile for pollen, but the less distance they have to travel the less stressed they will be, so make sure you have a steady source of flowering plants nearby. You may have to supplement with a sugar solution.
You can keep them over winter by supplementing with sugar water and keeping them protected indoors. From what I understand, it doesn’t have to be heated but that would obviously better. Varroa mites are one of the most important pests to honey bees; I think there’s queens who have some level of resistance, you might want to look into that. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT