ADVERTISEMENT

Any HelloFresh or Blue Apron patrons on here?

UNIowaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 22, 2011
Or the like? These are the “fresh” meals that are packaged and delivered to your home. You still do the prep, but the ingredients are fresh (real tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, etc) and by and large the ingredients are already preportioned. We currently don’t and a membership, but a friend (divorced, early 40’s, runs marathons, and “works” 3 days a week for her 77 year old dad’s pharma company which she stands to inherit as an only child— no pic 🤣 ) is vacationing so she has given us her deliveries the past couple weeks and I will say, I’m kinda getting sold on it. No food waste, easy cleanup, portions are good, and frankly with the prices at things at Hy-Vee it may actually be cheaper.

We have been doing a hello fresh 2 meals a week for a few years now. It helps when we are busy and don't have to preplan meals. Sometimes it come late by time or day and that screws up plans. Not their fault but it happens. Overall we like their service over others for the variety of meal choices and to be able to make keto type selections. We almost never choose their pre-selected choices for us.

We have been doing Green Chef for a couple of months. Just recently switched to alternating weeks. We ordered the low-carb/Keto ones and they have been very good. I have enjoyed the barramundi a lot.

We have been doing Green Chef for a couple of months. Just recently switched to alternating weeks. We ordered the low-carb/Keto ones and they have been very good. I have enjoyed the barramundi a lot.
I just bought some barramundi at the grocery store the other day. Interested to see how that goes.

Did Blue Apron for a while. I felt like it got repetitive. I mean, we got different meals - but all the asian dishes kind of tasted the same. Same with pastas. Etc. Maybe we just suck at ordering. Don't do it anymore.

I just bought some barramundi at the grocery store the other day. Interested to see how that goes.
It's very good. Firm texture, mild flavor - takes on seasoning well. I find pan roasting is the best method because the skin gets very nice a crispy.

Reactions: CJBauer
Over 3 years now on Hello Fresh...very satisfied overall...since it's just my wife and I now, I love the pre portioned set up...no waste and no need to over eat so it doesn't go to waste (never realized just how much food my college age son actually ate every day!)...and the recipe cards are easy to follow to create on your own the weeks we don't get a box...

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
I tried something similar. I was hoping everything would be prepped. If i am going to go through the work of prepping everything and cleaning a bunch of bowls and dishes from prepwork, i am going to make enough where i have meals for about 5 days.

Reactions: HawkBlocked
I tried something similar. I was hoping everything would be prepped. If i am going to go through the work of prepping everything and cleaning a bunch of bowls and dishes from prepwork, i am going to make enough where i have meals for about 5 days.
This was probably our chef's biggest complaint. Massive amounts of dishes.

We paid the maid extra to do them so now it's fine.

We ended up stopping because the shipments were frequently delayed and it threw off the schedule.

Reactions: IA_HAWKI
Been doing Freshly for a couple years. Good variety. Hidden vegetables. Tastes pretty good.

Only other thing they need are breakfast options.

My wife uses several of these. She orders a couple at a discounted rate then won’t get one until they give her another discount code. I don’t think she’s ever paid full price for one. There are 6 of us so she will get one that feeds 4 and then add some extra stuff. Two of my teenagers aren’t big eaters so the amount is ok for us.

There have been a couple that weren’t great but for the most part everyone loves them. We have had things that we probably wouldn’t have tried but ended up really liking.

We should add this to the food shortage thread. Clearly Egyptians haven’t heard of the service.

Maybe not much food waste but it’s a ton of packaging.
The packaging is all recyclable— cardboard box, paper bags, recyclable (and reusable) freezer pack, and recyclable insulated bag. The seasoning comes in paper pouches. The only things we have gotten so far that aren’t curbside recyclable are the plastic condiment pack similar in size to a ketchup pack and the plastic the meat is vacuum packed in , but that the same as the grocery store.

Reactions: ericram
The packaging is all recyclable— cardboard box, paper bags, recyclable (and reusable) freezer pack, and recyclable insulated bag. The seasoning comes in paper pouches. The only things we have gotten so far that aren’t curbside recyclable are the plastic condiment pack similar in size to a ketchup pack and the plastic the meat is vacuum packed in , but that the same as the grocery store.
The majority of our “recycling” gets shipped to landfills overseas anyway.

The majority of our “recycling” gets shipped to landfills overseas anyway.
Yep

I believe that's mostly plastics, maybe not so much the paper/cardboard.

But any paper products adulterated with foods/oils go to the landfill (e.g. pizza boxes).
So, if most of the packaging is truly recyclable paper products, that's better. But all the outer plastic packaging is landfill waste and ends up as micro-nano plastics waste in the environment and that we ingest, too.

This was probably our chef's biggest complaint. Massive amounts of dishes.

We paid the maid extra to do them so now it's fine.

We ended up stopping because the shipments were frequently delayed and it threw off the schedule.
You bought pre-packaged meals for your chef to cook? Did you order him/her off Wish?

Wife does one of them, not sure which. The meals are really good 90% of the time I'd say. She likes not having to plan out meals and cuts down on grocery shopping. Very convenient.

Reactions: Joes Place
Hello Fresh is great. We do 4 meals a week. Helps with easing of time in the grocery store, the meals are good and has helped tremendously with portion control.

Yep

I believe that's mostly plastics, maybe not so much the paper/cardboard.

But any paper products adulterated with foods/oils go to the landfill (e.g. pizza boxes).
So, if most of the packaging is truly recyclable paper products, that's better. But all the outer plastic packaging is landfill waste and ends up as micro-nano plastics waste in the environment and that we ingest, too.
There hardly is none. There’s an insulated cardboard box (recyclable) with an ice pack on the bottom (recyclable), the meat is in vacuum sealed bags (exactly like you find at grocery store) on top of it, a cardboard piece (recyclable) on top of it, then 4 paper bags (recyclable) with the veggies, fruit, seasoning packets, etc. inside.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT