ADVERTISEMENT

Any idea on Iowa's incoming recruiting class?

Erickson was not in a good place leading up to the Big Ten Tournament, and it showed in his performance. The coaching staff had several conversations with him following the draft. He has had a change of heart and will return for his final year of eligibility.

I've talked recently to scouts from a couple teams that had mild interest in McCoy over the summer, but if he was going to get any type of offer it realistically would have been immediately after the All-Star game. One team in particular may throw him some peanuts just before the start of the semester, but at this point he would be better off returning for his Senior season.

Erickson was not in a good place leading up to the Big Ten Tournament, and it showed in his performance. The coaching staff had several conversations with him following the draft. He has had a change of heart and will return for his final year of eligibility.

I've talked recently to scouts from a couple teams that had mild interest in McCoy over the summer, but if he was going to get any type of offer it realistically would have been immediately after the All-Star game. One team in particular may throw him some peanuts just before the start of the semester, but at this point he would be better off returning for his Senior season.

I would have been most surprised if McCoy had been drafted, or even signed this summer. He's good--potentially very good--but his numbers this year just don't suggest that he should go pro yet. He could just steel himself up, prepare like heck for next year, and have a Booker-like senior year. That is his best chance of playing for pay someday. And he'll get a college degree to boot.

I am surprised about Perry and Baker, esp given the incredible direction the program has assumed since Heller took over, and the obvious major roles they would have had next year & beyond...

I hope the offense can step up next year, I think the pitching will be very solid. What recruits do you think will make an impact next year? I could see Judkins stepping in and playing right away. And Jenkins will have a good shot at starting in center. Anyone know much about Hoeg? Looks like a middle infielder. Put up good juco numbers.

I hope the offense can step up next year, I think the pitching will be very solid. What recruits do you think will make an impact next year? I could see Judkins stepping in and playing right away. And Jenkins will have a good shot at starting in center. Anyone know much about Hoeg? Looks like a middle infielder. Put up good juco numbers.

Look for Tyler Cropley to move into the starting lineup somewhere.

He's mainly a catcher, but not typical. He can run, and is athletic enough to play a number of positions. Was hitting over .400 this year at IW.

Even though the roster picture is a little cloudy in some areas right now, keep in mind that, with Heller in charge, the worst case scenario these days is still infinitely better than the best case scenario a few years ago. ..

I would have been most surprised if McCoy had been drafted, or even signed this summer. He's good--potentially very good--but his numbers this year just don't suggest that he should go pro yet. He could just steel himself up, prepare like heck for next year, and have a Booker-like senior year. That is his best chance of playing for pay someday. And he'll get a college degree to boot.

I am surprised about Perry and Baker, esp given the incredible direction the program has assumed since Heller took over, and the obvious major roles they would have had next year & beyond...
It's not just about numbers. Any scout will tell you it's about potential development. (See former Hawkeye pitcher Blake Hickman). Last summer he came out of nowhere and was tearing the cover off the ball in the summer leagues. The suggestion of Coach Heller (one that most people agreed with) was to come to Iowa, raise his stock even more and take an even better offer in this spring's draft. Unfortunately for Mason, he struggled significantly against better pitching, and wasn't able to adjust until roughly the last month of the season.

A number of people with his best interests in mind are all telling him to avoid the temptation to sign a late offer (if he even gets one) and return for his Senior year.. Unless he puts up All-American numbers, his offer won't be any better than what he would sign for now, but as you mentioned he will get his degree and hopefully show improvement.

As for Perry and Baker. I think Perry saw the writing on the wall with McCoy returning. His best hope would have been to move to 3rd to see any playing time. Plus he was really struggling at the plate in practice and even in the cage when I was able to stop by on a couple occasions.

Baker--to put it kindly--just didn't pan out.

Look for Cropley to be the starting catcher and log a lot of minutes behind the plate this season. The roster is exceptionally thin there.

It's not just about numbers. Any scout will tell you it's about potential development. (See former Hawkeye pitcher Blake Hickman). Last summer he came out of nowhere and was tearing the cover off the ball in the summer leagues. The suggestion of Coach Heller (one that most people agreed with) was to come to Iowa, raise his stock even more and take an even better offer in this spring's draft. Unfortunately for Mason, he struggled significantly against better pitching, and wasn't able to adjust until roughly the last month of the season.

A number of people with his best interests in mind are all telling him to avoid the temptation to sign a late offer (if he even gets one) and return for his Senior year.. Unless he puts up All-American numbers, his offer won't be any better than what he would sign for now, but as you mentioned he will get his degree and hopefully show improvement.

As for Perry and Baker. I think Perry saw the writing on the wall with McCoy returning. His best hope would have been to move to 3rd to see any playing time. Plus he was really struggling at the plate in practice and even in the cage when I was able to stop by on a couple occasions.

Look for Cropley to be the starting catcher and log a lot of minutes behind the plate this season. The roster is exceptionally thin there.
Thanks for the updates. Greatly appreciate regular, good, informed information.

It would be great if this board became much more active.

Speaking of a player who returned for his senior year after a middling junior year, and put up All-American numbers. ...one Joel Booker did just that.

Out of curiosity (and excitement) I checked hawkeyesports.com to see if the roster has been updated -- it has. There are a lot of new faces, a handful of which have not been previously announced.

Incoming Freshmen:
Justin Jenkins, OF (Indiana)
Grant Judkins, 3B/RHP (Pella)
Ben Norman, OF (DSM)
Kole Kampen, LHP (Ft. Dodge)
Kyle Crowl, SS (Council Bluffs)
Jack Kinzer, C (Wisconsin)
Connor Nelson, 3B (Oak Park, IL)
Cole Pennock, LHP (Clinton)
Connor Lindamann, 1B (Davenport)
Kace Massner, OF (Burlington)
Grant Leonard, RHP (Chicago area)
Adam LaRock, SS (Eau Claire, WI)

Incoming Transfers:
Matt Hoeg, INF (Iowa Western)
Tyler Cropley, C/UTL (Iowa Western)
Derek Lieurance, RHP (NIACC)
Chris Whelan, SS (Parkland College)
Nick Nelsen, RHP (Johnson County CC; prepped in DSM)
Jacob Adams, 1B (DMACC; hit 25 home runs this spring)
Elijah Wood, LHP (Marshalltown CC)
Sam Norman, LHP (Creighton; likely brother of Ben Norman)

All told, that's 20 new faces and the fall roster sits at 38 players (35 is the limit). Grant Klenovich, Devin Pickett, Jared Mandel, and Daniel Perry are no longer on the Iowa roster.

Out of curiosity (and excitement) I checked hawkeyesports.com to see if the roster has been updated -- it has. There are a lot of new faces, a handful of which have not been previously announced.

Incoming Freshmen:
Justin Jenkins, OF (Indiana)
Grant Judkins, 3B/RHP (Pella)
Ben Norman, OF (DSM)
Kole Kampen, LHP (Ft. Dodge)
Kyle Crowl, SS (Council Bluffs)
Jack Kinzer, C (Wisconsin)
Connor Nelson, 3B (Oak Park, IL)
Cole Pennock, LHP (Clinton)
Connor Lindamann, 1B (Davenport)
Kace Massner, OF (Burlington)
Grant Leonard, RHP (Chicago area)
Adam LaRock, SS (Eau Claire, WI)

Incoming Transfers:
Matt Hoeg, INF (Iowa Western)
Tyler Cropley, C/UTL (Iowa Western)
Derek Lieurance, RHP (NIACC)
Chris Whelan, SS (Parkland College)
Nick Nelsen, RHP (Johnson County CC; prepped in DSM)
Jacob Adams, 1B (DMACC; hit 25 home runs this spring)
Elijah Wood, LHP (Marshalltown CC)
Sam Norman, LHP (Creighton; likely brother of Ben Norman)

All told, that's 20 new faces and the fall roster sits at 38 players (35 is the limit). Grant Klenovich, Devin Pickett, Jared Mandel, and Daniel Perry are no longer on the Iowa roster.
What happened to Zeigler, the outfielder from NIAC that had a ton of bombs?

I assume he signed a pro contract? I am a bit concerned about the OF now too.

Looks like he hit .250 in 12 games for the Arizona League (rookie) SF Giants.

Reactions: terrehawk

Yeah, San Francisco took Ziegler in the 22nd round.

I have more concerns about the infield. The freshmen outfielders coming in are talented, and it's a lot easier to transition to college while playing the outfield than infield.

Mandel had a decent paying job lined up after graduation. As much as the coaching staff would have loved to have him around next year, the young man made a smart decision.

Klenovich is a great young man. But he just wasn't going to see the field next season. The coaching staff had to "cut" some players. He was one of them.

Mandel had a decent paying job lined up after graduation. As much as the coaching staff would have loved to have him around next year, the young man made a smart decision.

Klenovich is a great young man. But he just wasn't going to see the field next season. The coaching staff had to "cut" some players. He was one of them.

Mandel gave Iowa some good innings in his time. Obviously not the biggest or most talented player out there. However, he really stepped up especially when Iowa had some injuries in year one under Heller.

Anything coming out of fall ball?

Seems pretty hush-hush so far without a Black/Gold world series and any exhibition games. I've thought to peak my head in some evening but that hasn't happened yet.

Coach Lauritson (@SuccessLvsClues) is a fun follow on Twitter. His hitting philosophy is pretty cutting edge with complete emphasis on swinging hard and avoiding groundballs.

Seems pretty hush-hush so far without a Black/Gold world series and any exhibition games. I've thought to peak my head in some evening but that hasn't happened yet.

Coach Lauritson (@SuccessLvsClues) is a fun follow on Twitter. His hitting philosophy is pretty cutting edge with complete emphasis on swinging hard and avoiding groundballs.

Interesting I know coaches who used to make you run if you hit fly balls especially pop ups

I've talked to a few college coaches since Lauritson was hired and they are intrigued by his philosophy based on the ridiculous numbers NIACC put up.
I follow him on Twitter too and as a former college coach I am also very intrigued by these things. Admittedly I haven't been involved in the game in almost 20 years so things have changed a bit

Black vs. Gold World Series begins Wednesday. Hoping to make it down to watch a few innings so long as it doesn't conflict with work. I'll provide some analysis if I do make it.

Looking forward to the updates. Thanks 2bagger!

I didn't want to sit in the rain yesterday but I'll be there this afternoon.

I'm most interested to see how the new offensive approach looks like and to see the faces.

I was looking over the roster this morning and there are only a handful of guys six feet or shorter. On paper this is a physical team.

Gold team won game one 4-0 in six innings.

I am very intrigued by Jake Adams as it seems like he could be an offensive weapon based on what he is doing in the Black/Gold Series.

Just returned from Iowa City and today's intrasquad. Here are some random thoughts.
  • Funny you should bring up Adams, @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life , because as soon as I sat down in the second inning Adam went deep, like really deep to left. He's the big first baseman who can hit for power that Iowa hasn't had in awhile. I was also impressed with his glove.
  • Defensively, Black went with the following (all from memory, may have a few out of place): Boe at third, McCoy at short, Daniels at second, Whelan at first later LaRock, Farley in left, Norman in center, Nuestrom in right, and Fricke behind the plate.
  • Gold went with the following on defense: Lindamann at third, Crowl at short, Hoeg at second, Adams at first, Jenkins in center, and Massner in right. Can't remember who played left for Gold.
  • Nick Nelsen had a tough day for Black team with a TON of walks. He's a sidearm guy a la Vandermaten and he couldn't find the zone. His fastball mainly sat 76-78 and his off speed was mid-60s. He gives a different angle so hopefully he can figure it out.
  • Kyle Crowl didn't have many opportunities but looked like he belonged.
  • Grant Judkins is well put together. His approach at the plate is far from what you'd expect out of a freshman.
  • Justin Jenkins looked great in center and at the plate. Compact swing and up the line quick.
  • Ben Norman is all of 6'2'' and looks very natural in center. He struggled at the plate with his approach. If today was opening day, I'd probably give the nod in center to Jenkins.
  • Hard to glean much from the catchers. Neither team ran much but both catchers did a nice job blocking.
  • Kace Massner is a specimen. Big, fast, and hit a bomb off Nelson to right field. Reminds me a lot of Taylor Zeutenhorst as a freshman, though maybe a little more athletic.
  • Guys I saw on the mound: Robison, Nick Nelson, Kyle Shimp, Cole McDonald, Derek Lieurance, and Sam Norman.
  • McDonald and Lieurance showed the best. McDonald was 87-89 and flashed his slider much like last year. His change up is firmer than last year but not quite there. Lieurance was 88-90 with a nice slider. He struggled a bit with control but will certainly see innings.
  • Kyle Shimp was mainly 86-90. His fastball is surprisingly straight for a a lefthander but his size and length give his fastball depth. His breaking ball was okay and I'm not sure he threw a changeup. Big potential but still working.
  • Sam Norman didn't look too bad from the left side. He sat 83-85 from a 3/4 slot with a lot of movement on his fastball. He throws a slider around 75 that's isn't half bad. I'm happy to have added depth from the left side.
  • The bats looked better than last year. As I mentioned, much more physical and I'm excited to see what they look like come February.
  • If I had to throw a lineup out after today, I would guess the following: Cropley at catcher, Adams at first, Hoeg at second, Boe at third, Farley in left, Jenkins in center, and Neustrom in right. Not a bad lineup but I don't love Boe at third; in an ideal world he's a second baseman.
  • Finally, enough can't be said about how far this program has come under Heller. The ballpark looks great, there were people in the stands other than managers (of which they have TWELVE), and the produced this like a regular season game.

Just returned from Iowa City and today's intrasquad. Here are some random thoughts.
  • Funny you should bring up Adams, @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life , because as soon as I sat down in the second inning Adam went deep, like really deep to left. He's the big first baseman who can hit for power that Iowa hasn't had in awhile. I was also impressed with his glove.
  • Defensively, Black went with the following (all from memory, may have a few out of place): Boe at third, McCoy at short, Daniels at second, Whelan at first later LaRock, Farley in left, Norman in center, Nuestrom in right, and Fricke behind the plate.
  • Gold went with the following on defense: Lindamann at third, Crowl at short, Hoeg at second, Adams at first, Jenkins in center, and Massner in right. Can't remember who played left for Gold.
  • Nick Nelsen had a tough day for Black team with a TON of walks. He's a sidearm guy a la Vandermaten and he couldn't find the zone. His fastball mainly sat 76-78 and his off speed was mid-60s. He gives a different angle so hopefully he can figure it out.
  • Kyle Crowl didn't have many opportunities but looked like he belonged.
  • Grant Judkins is well put together. His approach at the plate is far from what you'd expect out of a freshman.
  • Justin Jenkins looked great in center and at the plate. Compact swing and up the line quick.
  • Ben Norman is all of 6'2'' and looks very natural in center. He struggled at the plate with his approach. If today was opening day, I'd probably give the nod in center to Jenkins.
  • Hard to glean much from the catchers. Neither team ran much but both catchers did a nice job blocking.
  • Kace Massner is a specimen. Big, fast, and hit a bomb off Nelson to right field. Reminds me a lot of Taylor Zeutenhorst as a freshman, though maybe a little more athletic.
  • Guys I saw on the mound: Robison, Nick Nelson, Kyle Shimp, Cole McDonald, Derek Lieurance, and Sam Norman.
  • McDonald and Lieurance showed the best. McDonald was 87-89 and flashed his slider much like last year. His change up is firmer than last year but not quite there. Lieurance was 88-90 with a nice slider. He struggled a bit with control but will certainly see innings.
  • Kyle Shimp was mainly 86-90. His fastball is surprisingly straight for a a lefthander but his size and length give his fastball depth. His breaking ball was okay and I'm not sure he threw a changeup. Big potential but still working.
  • Sam Norman didn't look too bad from the left side. He sat 83-85 from a 3/4 slot with a lot of movement on his fastball. He throws a slider around 75 that's isn't half bad. I'm happy to have added depth from the left side.
  • The bats looked better than last year. As I mentioned, much more physical and I'm excited to see what they look like come February.
  • If I had to throw a lineup out after today, I would guess the following: Cropley at catcher, Adams at first, Hoeg at second, Boe at third, Farley in left, Jenkins in center, and Neustrom in right. Not a bad lineup but I don't love Boe at third; in an ideal world he's a second baseman.
  • Finally, enough can't be said about how far this program has come under Heller. The ballpark looks great, there were people in the stands other than managers (of which they have TWELVE), and the produced this like a regular season game.

Don't think it will be Daniels at 2B?

Also any idea on a weekend rotation as of yet?

Fri - Eldred
Sat - Gallagher
Sun - McDonald

That rotation is just random thinking on my part? It seemed Gallagher was always better from the bullpen.

Don't think it will be Daniels at 2B?

Also any idea on a weekend rotation as of yet?

Fri - Eldred
Sat - Gallagher
Sun - McDonald

That rotation is just random thinking on my part? It seemed Gallagher was always better from the bullpen.

I think Erickson throws instead of McDonald during the weekend.

Hoeg carries a lot more pop than Daniels. Like 20+ lbs more.

I think Erickson throws instead of McDonald during the weekend.

Hoeg carries a lot more pop than Daniels. Like 20+ lbs more.

Erickson scares me a bit because of last season. If we get 2015 Erickson, then great.

Will Daniels be the full time closer to start?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT