ADVERTISEMENT

Any idea on Iowa's incoming recruiting class?

Kyle Crowl and Grant Judkins are my favorite prep recruits. Both have strong arms that show well from the left side of the infield.

JUCO Recruits:
Derek Lieurance, P (NIACC) - signed with Western Illinois but opted to attend NIACC; similar mold and build to Cole McDonald
Tyler Cropley, C (Iowa Western) - athletic catcher; hitting .403 with 5 home runs on the season
Matt Hoeg, Inf (Iowa Western) - able to play multiple infield spots; hitting .433 with 8 home runs and 60 RBI on the season
Malique Ziegler, Of (NIACC) - speedy outfielder who played at Northern Illinois his freshman year; currently hitting .387/22 HR/ 70 RBI/ 31 SB (NIACC's offensive statistics suggest they play in a band-box against teams greatly over-matched); fair chance he may be drafted

Kyle Crowl and Grant Judkins are my favorite prep recruits. Both have strong arms that show well from the left side of the infield.

JUCO Recruits:
Derek Lieurance, P (NIACC) - signed with Western Illinois but opted to attend NIACC; similar mold and build to Cole McDonald
Tyler Cropley, C (Iowa Western) - athletic catcher; hitting .403 with 5 home runs on the season
Matt Hoeg, Inf (Iowa Western) - able to play multiple infield spots; hitting .433 with 8 home runs and 60 RBI on the season
Malique Ziegler, Of (NIACC) - speedy outfielder who played at Northern Illinois his freshman year; currently hitting .387/22 HR/ 70 RBI/ 31 SB (NIACC's offensive statistics suggest they play in a band-box against teams greatly over-matched); fair chance he may be drafted
Last I read this class was ranked in the top 3 of the BIG. Check recruiting this weekend, Vandy is cleaning up.

Looks like Hoeg is having a very good JUCO CWS in Grand Junction with Iowa Western. Was 4-4 last night vs #1 seed.

JUCO Recruits:

I saw Ziegler play at Northern Illinois when they faced Iowa a couple years ago, you want to talk about some SPEED. I mean the kid has wheels, this one really excites me folks.

I saw Ziegler play at Northern Illinois when they faced Iowa a couple years ago, you want to talk about some SPEED. I mean the kid has wheels, this one really excites me folks.
With that many bombs (even if it is a popcorn park, his stats are gaudy), and that kind of speed, I'd be very surprised if he sets foot on campus. Hope like heck I am wrong!

With that many bombs (even if it is a popcorn park, his stats are gaudy), and that kind of speed, I'd be very surprised if he sets foot on campus. Hope like heck I am wrong!

Booker had similar stats at Indian Hills (not as many home runs) and he made it on campus. Hopefully Ziegler is as intent on a 4 year degree as Joel was.

Reactions: icu81222
Is Connor McCaffery still planning to play baseball? How will it work with basketball and baseball considering the huge overlap?

It looks like there are a lot of top 500 recruits in this year's class.
1B-Connor Lindaman 6'5" 225 top 500
SS-Adam Larock 6'0" 165 #427
3B-Kyle Crowl 6'2" 180 #367
3B/P-Grant Judkins 6'3" 190 #226
OF-Kace Massner 6'5" 210 #461
OF-Justin Jenkins 6'0" 175 Top 500
C-Jack Kinzer 6'1" 195 Top 500
P-Kole Kampen 6'1" 185 #449
P-Cole Pennock 6'7" 215 Top 500
OF-Ben Norman 6'2" 170 Top 500

Next year's class is off to a great start as well:
P-Cam Baumann 6'2" 200 Top 500
P-Jack Dreyer 6'2" 170 #485 (son of former big leaguer, Steve)
SS-Zion Pettigrew 6'1" 175 #372
1B/P-Trenton Wallace 6'0" 170

P-Clayton Nettleton 6'1" 195

Clayton Nettleton with big game last night. Clayton with two home runs, double and 2 scoreless innings beating # 1 ranked Wilton 8-3. Stud!

Since the addition of Kinzer & Lieurance in late April, the 2017 class, now with 10 top-500 hs recruits, is ranked #1 in the B1G....again.
If it holds up, that's two top ranked B1G classes in a row for Heller.

Anyone have any guesses on the starting rotation next year? Eldred should be the ace, I could see Gallagher and McDonald starting and possibly Lieurance.
Anyone have any guesses on the starting rotation next year? Eldred should be the ace, I could see Gallagher and McDonald starting and possibly Lieurance.

I think Eldred and Gallagher are locks for the weekend rotation. I think the third spot is between McDonald, Lieurance, or Gallagher. Gallagher has the most experience and may be the early favorite.

I just saw something on instragram between couple of players. They was telling him good luck in california and he was telling iowa players good luck next year. So that sounds like he is transferring back home.

I just saw something on instragram between couple of players. They was telling him good luck in california and he was telling iowa players good luck next year. So that sounds like he is transferring back home.

Hmm...hopefully that's not the case. Thanks for the info and speculation; it adds to the baseball conversation.

Hmm...hopefully that's not the case. Thanks for the info and speculation; it adds to the baseball conversation.
Checking a couple of my sources as I type this. If he is, there will be serious concern in the coach's office. In all likelihood, McCoy will sign for even an average offer should he receive one over the summer. The last I looked, he wasn't putting up near the offensive numbers he did last year. That would be the only thing that would keep him from taking the money an going pro. The future of Iowa's infield seems to be teetering in the balance.

Checking a couple of my sources as I type this. If he is, there will be serious concern in the coach's office. In all likelihood, McCoy will sign for even an average offer should he receive one over the summer. The last I looked, he wasn't putting up near the offensive numbers he did last year. That would be the only thing that would keep him from taking the money an going pro. The future of Iowa's infield seems to be teetering in the balance.

Not sure I blame McCoy if he bolts. While his numbers aren't sterling you can probably attribute them to fatigue. Gotta think the coaches exhaust every JUCO avenue possible if one or both leave.

Not sure I blame McCoy if he bolts. While his numbers aren't sterling you can probably attribute them to fatigue. Gotta think the coaches exhaust every JUCO avenue possible if one or both leave.
Bagger there's no question he'll take the most average of offers (provided he gets one). Every one of the pro scouts I talked to at the Big Ten Tournament agreed he would get some kind of offer. They ranged from the late teens to mid twenties as far as slot, but for him not to be drafted at all was more than somewhat surprising. He did struggle early in the season, including the first half of the conference schedule. But the Big Ten had some really nasty Friday night starters almost across the entire board. In looking at his 20 game splits, I think he was hitting around .375 to end the year. He also saw how Tyler Peyton fell off the radar after returning for his Senior season and struggling early.

If he does go, it will really put the coaching staff in a tough spot.

Why would Perry leave? Seems odd to me. He was almost guaranteed to start until he is draft eligible again.

I also see that Devin Pickett and Ryan Erickson are no longer listed on the roster on Hawkeye Sports. They would've been RS Seniors, they both move on? I do see Josh Martsching is listed on there as a RS Senior.

Clayton Nettleton Monday night pitched 3 innings and had 2 hits with a double helping West to a 10-6 10 inning victory over North Scott.

Two days later, last night, pitched 7 innings of no hit ball with 1-0 victory over Dubuque Senior to advance to State next Wedneday against #1 seed Cedar Rapids Prairie at 1:30. Clayton also had a double in the game.

Why would Perry leave? Seems odd to me. He was almost guaranteed to start until he is draft eligible again.

I also see that Devin Pickett and Ryan Erickson are no longer listed on the roster on Hawkeye Sports. They would've been RS Seniors, they both move on? I do see Josh Martsching is listed on there as a RS Senior.
Erickson told the staff before the conference tournament he was not going to return for his last year of eligibility. 6'4 lefty with a 90+mph fastball and a decent slider that could get better with some work....he had all the makings of a draft pick this year. But if the kid's heart isn't in it anymore than he did the right thing in being honest with both the coaches and scouts.

Pickett is a great kid, and he'll have the memories of coming through in the clutch at the Big Ten Tournament to last him a lifetime. But he wasn't going to see the field any more than he did last season--and the staff needed that scholarship money to spread out over other players who would play.

Reactions: hawk21
Erickson told the staff before the conference tournament he was not going to return for his last year of eligibility. 6'4 lefty with a 90+mph fastball and a decent slider that could get better with some work....he had all the makings of a draft pick this year. But if the kid's heart isn't in it anymore than he did the right thing in being honest with both the coaches and scouts.

Pickett is a great kid, and he'll have the memories of coming through in the clutch at the Big Ten Tournament to last him a lifetime. But he wasn't going to see the field any more than he did last season--and the staff needed that scholarship money to spread out over other players who would play.

That's a shame if Erickson wasn't into it anymore.

Because this has evolved into an off-season thread, Iowa is heading to the Dominican Republic during Nov. 19-25 to play local teams.

Probably a few months away from hearing any more about the 2017 schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT