ADVERTISEMENT

Any ideas on when we find out for sure if Brian Ferentz will be OC in 2023?

Lol I did see this reddit post with 56 comments - topic "Is Georgia's talent so good it could win the Natty with Iowa's OC?"

Some comments since the link says deleted - still on reddit :)

Purdue • Arizona State

If they had Brian Ferentz as OC, even if they went undefeated in the SEC, they would have lost to Ohio State.

LSU • Louisiana
They never would have gone undefeated in the SEC.

Georgia
No

Georgia • Liberty
No shot

Georgia • Summertime Lover

Is he anything like James Coley?

Georgia • North Georgia
He's worse

Georgia
No. Granted we have more talent now too, but we got a glimpse of what that would be when we had James Coley. And our ceiling with him is occasional SEC Championship

Georgia • Liberty
Weren’t we one busted coverage in overtime away from a national championship with coley?

Michigan
Better question - could Georgia beat an NFL team if Brian Ferentz was the NFL team's OC?

Michigan
This guy is a smart man

Tennessee • Memphis
Only if Alex Grinch is the DC.

Iowa State • /r/CFB Donor

This is a snippet of Brian Ferentz' Wikipedia page
Ferentz has coached several offensive skill positions despite his background as an offensive lineman. On his year as a running backs coach, Ferentz stated in 2020 during a coaching clinic "I'm like the worst running back coach in America. I was a shitty running back coach... I did it for a year, and I quit. It was too hard. I was no good at it." After taking over as quarterbacks coach in spring 2022, Ferentz told media "man, I got a lot to learn."

Georgia • Iowa
This cant be real, right?
It makes sense, but its like, a level of personal insight I would not expect from a man that only has a job at the P5 level right now because his dad is a head coach.

Georgia
Considering there are a handful of teams with comparable or better talent, odds are not good.

UGAs success is based largely on their OC Todd Monken. The guy is a wizard.

St. Ambrose
No… Did people not watch the semifinal game against OSU?

Alabama • Arizona State

UGA peeps - this snippet of time where the sub is all enamored with you and saying nice things and have you thinking “wow, my team is appreciated by the people here”…..
They’re gonna turn on you by the third quarter of the UT Martin game.

Georgia Bandwagon • Florida State
I feel the same about myself. I said last season if we won, I’d take 5 years of mediocrity. Last week, I said if we went back to back I’d take 10 years of mediocrity. Yet next season I know I’m going to be angsty when we’re only up one possession going into the half against South Carolina.

Michigan State
No, he'd face a team that he couldn't have a huge talent difference on. This year, Iowa's oc with Georgia loses to OSU.

UAB • American
I mean a great coach gets that amazing of talent in and manages it so I don’t see how removing him and seeing how the team performs indicates anything about Kirby.

Auburn • Ohio State

Looking forward to this OSU vs UGA rematch.

Iowa • Floyd of Rosedale
I, for one, am willing to have Georgia perform this experiment, provided we get their OC in exchange. For a period of say... in perpetuity.

Georgia • Staffordshire

Not a snowball's chance in hell

Georgia
No. You can out talent G5 and lower tiered P5, but you can't out talent the elite programs.

Georgia • Iowa
I am an expert on this (see flairs).
No.

Iowa
Yes. He would run a completely different system at UGA than at Iowa. Iowa doesn't have a single player on offense that would earn a scholarship at UGA.

Georgia • College Football Playoff
Todd Monken was our secret weapon this entire season. He had to get so deep in his bag offensively to pull out close wins and anyone else would have lost us those games.

Kansas State • Washburn

No. There are plenty of teams that have had great talent, that fall short of what they are capable of. That is on the coach.
You can also have teams that out perform their talent - that is also on the coach.

Notre Dame • Rutgers
No

Alabama • Cumberland
Alabama lost games due to poor coaching on that level so no I do not believe that Georgia can talent their way to a natty.

Georgia • Kennesaw State
If he let Monken call the plays I think he would get it done. But I’m not sure what the defense would look like and I don’t think the intensity level would be the same.

They’d be better off letting the players call the plays

Ohio State
They were one field goal away from not even making the Natty with their ACTUAL OC.

Illinois
No way. Ohio State would have beaten them handily if they had Iowa's OC.
UGA's OC is very, very good, I don't think Stetson Bennett would be nearly as well thought of without him.

Look at Michigan vs TCU. Michigan largely lost that game (even with the fluke plays and bad reffing) due to terrible coaching. If they had Georgia's defensive coaching alone I think they win semi comfortably. I still don't understand why they kept blitzing over and over even though Duggan couldn't do shit when they stayed back in coverage.

West Alabama • Alabama
Not a chance

No. Monday night was the first night Monken and Kirby completely left the playbook fully open. And you could see the results.

Last edited:
So is the local press just waiting around until KF calls a press conference or is anyone actually asking questions? Even if it is wring an article where the question(s) are asked??

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Belichek is envious at how tight the info is held in Iowa City. Sure aren't any real leakers there.

Lol I did see this reddit post with 56 comments - topic "Is Georgia's talent so good it could win the Natty with Iowa's OC?"

Some comments since the link says deleted - still on reddit :)

Purdue • Arizona State

If they had Brian Ferentz as OC, even if they went undefeated in the SEC, they would have lost to Ohio State.

LSU • Louisiana
They never would have gone undefeated in the SEC.

Georgia
No

Georgia • Liberty
No shot

Georgia • Summertime Lover

Is he anything like James Coley?

Georgia • North Georgia
He's worse

Georgia
No. Granted we have more talent now too, but we got a glimpse of what that would be when we had James Coley. And our ceiling with him is occasional SEC Championship

Georgia • Liberty
Weren’t we one busted coverage in overtime away from a national championship with coley?

Michigan
Better question - could Georgia beat an NFL team if Brian Ferentz was the NFL team's OC?

Michigan
This guy is a smart man

Tennessee • Memphis
Only if Alex Grinch is the DC.

Iowa State • /r/CFB Donor

This is a snippet of Brian Ferentz' Wikipedia page

Georgia • Iowa
This cant be real, right?
It makes sense, but its like, a level of personal insight I would not expect from a man that only has a job at the P5 level right now because his dad is a head coach.

Georgia
Considering there are a handful of teams with comparable or better talent, odds are not good.

UGAs success is based largely on their OC Todd Monken. The guy is a wizard.

St. Ambrose
No… Did people not watch the semifinal game against OSU?

Alabama • Arizona State

UGA peeps - this snippet of time where the sub is all enamored with you and saying nice things and have you thinking “wow, my team is appreciated by the people here”…..
They’re gonna turn on you by the third quarter of the UT Martin game.

Georgia Bandwagon • Florida State
I feel the same about myself. I said last season if we won, I’d take 5 years of mediocrity. Last week, I said if we went back to back I’d take 10 years of mediocrity. Yet next season I know I’m going to be angsty when we’re only up one possession going into the half against South Carolina.

Michigan State
No, he'd face a team that he couldn't have a huge talent difference on. This year, Iowa's oc with Georgia loses to OSU.

UAB • American
I mean a great coach gets that amazing of talent in and manages it so I don’t see how removing him and seeing how the team performs indicates anything about Kirby.

Auburn • Ohio State

Looking forward to this OSU vs UGA rematch.

Iowa • Floyd of Rosedale
I, for one, am willing to have Georgia perform this experiment, provided we get their OC in exchange. For a period of say... in perpetuity.

Georgia • Staffordshire

Not a snowball's chance in hell

Georgia
No. You can out talent G5 and lower tiered P5, but you can't out talent the elite programs.

Georgia • Iowa
I am an expert on this (see flairs).
No.

Iowa
Yes. He would run a completely different system at UGA than at Iowa. Iowa doesn't have a single player on offense that would earn a scholarship at UGA.

Todd Monken was our secret weapon this entire season. He had to get so deep in his bag offensively to pull out close wins and anyone else would have lost us those games.

Kansas State • Washburn

No. There are plenty of teams that have had great talent, that fall short of what they are capable of. That is on the coach.
You can also have teams that out perform their talent - that is also on the coach.

Notre Dame • Rutgers
No

Alabama • Cumberland
Alabama lost games due to poor coaching on that level so no I do not believe that Georgia can talent their way to a natty.

Georgia • Kennesaw State
If he let Monken call the plays I think he would get it done. But I’m not sure what the defense would look like and I don’t think the intensity level would be the same.

They’d be better off letting the players call the plays

Ohio State
They were one field goal away from not even making the Natty with their ACTUAL OC.

Illinois
No way. Ohio State would have beaten them handily if they had Iowa's OC.
UGA's OC is very, very good, I don't think Stetson Bennett would be nearly as well thought of without him.

Look at Michigan vs TCU. Michigan largely lost that game (even with the fluke plays and bad reffing) due to terrible coaching. If they had Georgia's defensive coaching alone I think they win semi comfortably. I still don't understand why they kept blitzing over and over even though Duggan couldn't do shit when they stayed back in coverage.

West Alabama • Alabama
Not a chance

No. Monday night was the first night Monken and Kirby completely left the playbook fully open. And you could see the results.
Wow

Reactions: iowaathletes
You know Kirk is absolutely afraid of change. He wont take Brian from the OC job unless he is forced to.

And it is getting really late in the "hiring " season to find your new OC.

So my guess is 95% Brian is OC next year or Co-OC and run game leader while a passing guru is Co-OC and pass game leader and QB coach as this has been brought up before

Reactions: IAHUNTER
He’s gonna stay. Looking closely at the situation, KF is not one to upset anything after an 8 win season. He doesn’t give a rip because the bottom line is he believes 8 wins is above average for what is expected out of the program.

I’m mentally preparing for him being the OC, our offense to still suck (but suck a bit less), and we luckily avoid OSU and Michigan which puts us at about a 75% chance to win the West. It will be fool’s gold, and it will be just enough for Kirk to ride off into the sunset and hand the keys to Brian on the way out.

Brian is not going to be the next head coach at Iowa. Or I should say I will be totally double shocked if he is. There are a lot of other successful Div 1 FBS head coaches who would come to Iowa and even some current P5 coaches who would come to Iowa. If you are 50 years old, a proven head coach, and get the gig you could have it for 20 years.

Brian is not going to be the next head coach at Iowa. Or I should say I will be totally double shocked if he is. There are a lot of other successful Div 1 FBS head coaches who would come to Iowa and even some current P5 coaches who would come to Iowa. If you are 50 years old, a proven head coach, and get the gig you could have it for 20 years.
Brian would have a hard time getting a head coaching job at Coe college, or anywhere else that his dad wouldn’t be using his connections and calling in favors.

I would love to see things like you do. And at one time I probably did. But the last 2+ years have been such a slap in the face, and it’s as obvious as ever that our AD is a spineless shrew doing the bidding of Kirk.

He’s gonna stay. Looking closely at the situation, KF is not one to upset anything after an 8 win season. He doesn’t give a rip because the bottom line is he believes 8 wins is above average for what is expected out of the program.
Probably. Kirk's message to to the rubes of Iowa: F your feelings and be thankful for the stick/hoop, faceless dolls and cabbages that Brian and I dutily provide!

Reactions: CarterHall
I have zero insider info. I'm not even an Iowa fan. Brian will be back though, because Dad. He may even be Iowa's next HC. Because Iowa.

You people are insane or delusional if you think an OC change is coming. 100% chance Brian is back.
Yep. There'll be a bunch of nothingspeak about how Brian did a solid job given the circumstances he was up against. If anything, they'll take away his QB coaching duties, maybe insert a Passing Game Coordinator, etc. Fake moves. BF is making $900k a year and losing the OC gig would result in a salary maybe half that as a position coach somewhere, KF ain't gonna let that happen.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
There is zero future at Iowa. So take 900k and no future, or take 450k and hope to move back up the ladder.
Yea. I don’t get it either. Like the laughingstock our offense has become is what Brian is most associated with now. That and the lawsuit. And everyone realizes why change isn’t happening.

My purely scientific study into Iowa's 2023 OC coach. ;)
BRIAN%20AS%20OC%202023.jpg

There is zero future at Iowa. So take 900k and no future, or take 450k and hope to move back up the ladder.
Zero future at Iowa?! 😂😂😂 At any program with a shred of accountability that would be true but with KF and his sidekick GB in charge that couldn't be farther from the truth if Kirk and Mary want him and the grandkids to stick around. Whatever is best for the program be damned

When the NFL season winds down it will be more likely he could move back to the NFL. I do think New England is a good possibility.

Reactions: Bishop1971
When the NFL season winds down it will be more likely he could move back to the NFL. I do think New England is a good possibility.
I think he’s radioactive right now for two reasons. One is just the production and our offense the past six years and especially the last two. Secondly, you throw in the lawsuit and what NFL team is going to be like, “Yep. Let’s make him the oline coach.” Every guy in that NFL position group on that team is going to know the story and what’s going on.

I think he’s radioactive right now for two reasons. One is just the production and our offense the past six years and especially the last two. Secondly, you throw in the lawsuit and what NFL team is going to be like, “Yep. Let’s make him the oline coach.” Every guy in that NFL position group on that team is going to know the story and what’s going on.
That he made Wadley cry because he got yelled at for parking in a staff parking spot?

$900k/yr for the next 5 yrs with absolutely no accountability for your performance…or $450k/yr in the Not-For-Long when you have questionable actual coaching skills. Easy choice for BF, if the decision is purely up to him and Daddy, which it is. Extremely frustrating situation for Hawkeye fans desperate for some watchable offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT