ADVERTISEMENT

Any martial arts enthusiasts on HROT?

jasonrann

HR Legend
Apr 11, 2007
I am trying to take care of myself better physically lately as a result of some recent hospital stays and my home situation. I have a great gym with an awesome pool/sauna, etc. One other thing that has always intrigued me is martial arts. Do any of you have experience with that? I am 52 and I figured it would help with flexibility and be a good complement to my weight training/cardio/swimming plan. There are two places very close to where I'm staying.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Moral
I am trying to take care of myself better physically lately as a result of some recent hospital stays and my home situation. I have a great gym with an awesome pool/sauna, etc. One other thing that has always intrigued me is martial arts. Do any of you have experience with that? I am 52 and I figured it would help with flexibility and be a good complement to my weight training/cardio/swimming plan. There are two places very close to where I'm staying.

Thanks in advance!

At the start, you're going to be a lot bigger than the other kids who are also starting out.......... so remember not to get too rough with them.

giphy.gif

Choose a martial art that’s easy on the joints. I did tae Kwon do for 10 years in my 20s into my 30s. With the constant kicks and punches, my joints are now feeling it. It was however, a great work out, mentally and physically. look into tai chi.

Reactions: jasonrann
I just started jiu jitsu with my daughter. I have only taken one class, but I enjoyed. She did a week of camp during the summer. It's a really good workout....much like wrestling (i'd imagine, never actually wrestled). I have a good friend that is into krav maga. He loves the intensity of it.....

I'm not personally into it, but my son did jiu jitsu. He's got a 2nd degree black belt, which took a little over 3 years. He had to pass a fitness test, and skills tests. Skills tests included breaking a board with hands and feet, proficiency with 2 weapons, and being able to defend himself sparring with 3 black belts simultaneously for 3 minutes.

During the time I was a Marine Corps brat, an old Gunnery Sergeant taught a bunch of kids basic hand-to-hand combat, which was a combination judo and nasty street fighting. I was only 9 at the time.

Good call. A former "female companion" is an instructor. That could be just the incentive I need.
Yeah, I would do the yoga. I never knew much about it until my wife got into it. It is basically names for stretches that I have been doing my whole life and didn't know they had a name. My favorite such stretch is child's pose.

ChildsPose-5c5d94ce46e0fb00017dd0d9.jpg

Yeah, I would do the yoga. I never knew much about it until my wife got into it. It is basically names for stretches that I have been doing my whole life and didn't know they had a name. My favorite such stretch is child's pose.

That’s the resting position, of course it’s your favorite lol

• Haha
Reactions: Tenacious E
It stretches by back asshole!!!

This is much funnier with the possessive pronoun "my" replaced by the preposition "by" and with no comma after "back." Makes it seem like you have a "front" one as well and possibly more, maybe with each needing different yoga poses to stretch.

hmmm, that pose seems like it may be handy for other things also. very nice.

Judo is a good option for adults. Doesn't really involve kicking and punching. Lots of standing throws and ground work. Includes lots of stretching also.

And yoga is always a good idea. Feels fantastic.

You should look into Farrell’s FBX if it’s in your area - kickboxing (M, W, F) resistance bands (T, TH, S) while also using a meal plan to help lose weight, get into shape while converting fat into muscle. There is a 10 week program that you sign up for and work out 6 out of 7 days. The 7th is a free day to eat and drink what you want. Highly recommend it if you go everyday. It will change your life and improve your health.

• Love
Reactions: hawkbirch
I’ve been doing jiu jitsu for about a year. At 43, it is one of the hardest yet most beneficial activities I’ve ever done. There are a few older men that are in the class and they just make sure to know their limitations.

it’s a 1 hour class and the first 30 minutes is basically cardio. I thought I was going to die the first week.

yes, it’s not fun getting choked out by a 17 year old kid. It will check your ego real fast

Reactions: Fijimn

I'm not personally into it, but my son did jiu jitsu. He's got a 2nd degree black belt, which took a little over 3 years. He had to pass a fitness test, and skills tests. Skills tests included breaking a board with hands and feet, proficiency with 2 weapons, and being able to defend himself sparring with 3 black belts simultaneously for 3 minutes.

During the time I was a Marine Corps brat, an old Gunnery Sergeant taught a bunch of kids basic hand-to-hand combat, which was a combination judo and nasty street fighting. I was only 9 at the time.
I call Bullsh&t.

You should look into Farrell’s FBX if it’s in your area - kickboxing (M, W, F) resistance bands (T, TH, S) while also using a meal plan to help lose weight, get into shape while converting fat into muscle. There is a 10 week program that you sign up for and work out 6 out of 7 days. The 7th is a free day to eat and drink what you want. Highly recommend it if you go everyday. It will change your life and improve your health.
Totally agree. I joined in April and I love it.

9090HipStretch-1319738684-770x533-1-650x428.jpg

This is my very favorite. Feels so freaking good.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I did 6 months of bjj last year. After losing my Dad I was looking for outlets and mat time, he was my wrestling coach for years. It was fun, bit I stopped because I didn’t need to be putting my joints at risk of injury because some high energy white belt with not body awareness wants to pretend he's the next big MMA star.

This was all at a very competitive gym with high quality coaches. If I ever did it again I'd probably scope out a teacher that is less competition focused and more about proper technique and safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT