ADVERTISEMENT

Strength Training

bdcolt45er

HR All-American
Jun 11, 2010
I have generally been a cardio guy most of my life and I'm thinking of adding some strength training. What I would like to do is 3-4 days of zone 2 and 1 day of high intensity cardio. Then sprinkle in some strength training at the end of my workout. I don't really care about weight or bulk. Just interested in fitness and function. I previously used a power tower for pull ups, dips but had issues with my ulnar nerves so I stopped those exercises. I have been using a vertical climber recently.

Does anybody have suggestions for strength training? I don't want a gym membership. I am not looking to get a huge garage gym. But I was thinking of getting a set of dumbbells or maybe kettlebells.

If you are just going to get some basic things what should you get? What are good basic exercises? Should I not get anything and just do body weight exercises?

My only suggestion is to strength train before your zone2 cardio. There are so many programs and protocols it’s hard to recommend one just for you. I do my HIIT cardio separate.

Nowadays, I stick mainly to compound exercises…. bench presses, rows, overhead presses, squats, etc. Barbells and dumbbells. Kettlebells are a versatile option also. You’ll get stronger as long as you progressively overload.

Last edited:
get some kettlebells. you can do any exercise. swings, squats, presses, dead lifts, cleans, rows, lunges, shrugs, raises, etc. You can also do body weight stuff. pushups, pull ups, and squats, lunges, and bench dips.

A lot of options. Just add reps if you don't want to add weight.

Good luck.

Kettle bells and body weight workouts as others have already suggested. Hack squats are the ultimate kettle bell workout imo but there are all kinds of movements that you can benefit from. I would recommend doing any swinging type movements with a heavy kettle before or separately from heavy cardio days as fatigue leads to poor form which can lead to serious injuries potentially. Dumbbells are always good things to have and if you have a Swiss or bosu ball you can really target the stabilizer groups efficiently.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I lift 6 days a week. I wanted to add a HIT routine for cardio. I did a kettlebell workout that was swing, squat, shoulder press...down to rows and push ups. I did it in a pyramid of 1 rep each, 2 reps each, 3 reps each...up to 7. Then back down again.

I used 15 lbs bells. doesnt sound like much. kicked my F ass.

My only suggestion is to strength train before your zone2 cardio. There are so many programs and protocols it’s hard to recommend one just for you. I do my HIIT cardio separate.

Nowadays, I stick mainly to compound exercises…. bench presses, rows, overhead presses, squats, etc. Barbells and dumbbells. Kettlebells are a versatile option also. You’ll get stronger as long as you progressively overload.
This.

I’ve been into band workouts since January, really enjoying it; im following a workout program focusing on injury prevention and rotational power. My body feels loose and fit. Shoulders are much more defined now. It’s also a great way to workout in zone 2-3. Also great way to work the core and it involves some HIIT exercises periodically.

Ran a few 5ks this year and running outside a few times a week.

Through in weight lifting 3-4x a week.

With little to no change in my diet, I’m down about 30 pounds since January.

I’ve been into band workouts since January, really enjoying it; im following a workout program focusing on injury prevention and rotational power. My body feels loose and fit. Shoulders are much more defined now. It’s also a great way to workout in zone 2-3. Also great way to work the core and it involves some HIIT exercises periodically.

I use bands regularly. Underrated tool for flexibility and hypertrophy.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
I lift 6 days a week. I wanted to add a HIT routine for cardio. I did a kettlebell workout that was swing, squat, shoulder press...down to rows and push ups. I did it in a pyramid of 1 rep each, 2 reps each, 3 reps each...up to 7. Then back down again.

I used 15 lbs bells. doesnt sound like much. kicked my F ass.
Pyramid workouts are always "fun" lol

I have generally been a cardio guy most of my life and I'm thinking of adding some strength training. What I would like to do is 3-4 days of zone 2 and 1 day of high intensity cardio. Then sprinkle in some strength training at the end of my workout. I don't really care about weight or bulk. Just interested in fitness and function. I previously used a power tower for pull ups, dips but had issues with my ulnar nerves so I stopped those exercises. I have been using a vertical climber recently.

Does anybody have suggestions for strength training? I don't want a gym membership. I am not looking to get a huge garage gym. But I was thinking of getting a set of dumbbells or maybe kettlebells.

If you are just going to get some basic things what should you get? What are good basic exercises? Should I not get anything and just do body weight exercises?
I walk a lot along with simple chest/arm routines with dumbells only. 3 sets each of bench press, flies, tri's and curls.

Reactions: jasonrann
This. If I do cardio before strength training, I'm zapped.

As for strength training tips, I have always had success with opposing muscle groups. Bis/tris one day, chest/back another day, legs/shoulders another day while working in cardio at the end of each.

Reactions: nu2u

Nice work dude, that's pretty damn awesome. It's a great feeling when you get into a routine that you can keep up with and that works for you.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
I finally got sick of the pain in my broken lower back from December and started PT this week. I have had two sessions and have done some exercises on my own. I can't believe the difference already. I am guessing I will be gym-ready in another week or two to resume very light machine work before eventually getting back to some free weights. I'm excited. It's time.

My advice is to do whatever strength training you are going to do BEFORE cardio. I had a horrific injury where my pec ripped off the bone using a pec deck machine at the gym, after doing cardio for about an hour. I think if I was not exhausted before starting lifting, that would not have happened.

My advice is to do whatever strength training you are going to do BEFORE cardio. I had a horrific injury where my pec ripped off the bone using a pec deck machine at the gym, after doing cardio for about an hour. I think if I was not exhausted before starting lifting, that would not have happened.
Pec deck, huh? Uh huh.

spread GIF

Reactions: Tenacious E
Reverse cowgirl on OP's Mom is an excellent blend of strength training and cardio
So when you bang OP's mom, you straddle her facing her feet, and then bend your junk back under your chode and around your balls, before achieving penetration? How does that not smash your balls? Also, kudos on having a 14 inch wang.

Reactions: drew_hawk

Bill Phillips Body for Life

Worst pain I've ever had. It just exploded off the bone. I had to get it surgically reattached, and it has never been the same.
One of the few times I was lifting by myself in college I had a near miss. I was doing incline bench and when putting the weight back, the left side hit and I overshot the right side. I was holding it as the weight was slowly going back. Luckily, someone grabbed it before my pec went because I didn't have the sense to just dump it.

So when you bang OP's mom, you straddle her facing her feet, and then bend your junk back under your chode and around your balls, before achieving penetration? How does that not smash your balls? Also, kudos on having a 14 inch wang.
Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT