ADVERTISEMENT

Any young skill position players coming up that will help our offense?

Hawky42

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2019
I'm a casual that waits till August usually to look into what's new.

What dynamic youngsters are ready to get the Hawkeyes back to greatness.

What dynamic youngsters are ready to get the Hawkeyes back to greatness.
No One Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
Hoping Brevin Doll is the next Brandon Wegher + more longevity.
Hate to break it to you but Brandon Wegher was an elite recruit. A 4 star with offers from Auburn, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc. Doll was rated the 10th best prospect out of Iowa, with offers from UNI, Army, ISU. The only thing these recruits have in common is the color of their skin.

Sadly, there's not a whole lot to be optimistic about in terms of future skill position players. The latest QB commit brought in to break the streak of woeful QB performance at Iowa is a 3 star MAC caliber kid who is going to have to develop a great deal to be a Big 10 QB. No RBs or WRs have committed to Iowa in the 2025 class and the Hawks signed just ONE WR in the 2024 class (and that was a kid with zero scholarship offers other than Iowa).

Why Phil so greedy? He just takes the players he wants for defense. Maybe he would not let Coop switch to O. Imagine if Coop had been on the O all the time.

Why Phil so greedy? He just takes the players he wants for defense. Maybe he would not let Coop switch to O. Imagine if Coop had been on the O all the time.
You don't win the Broyles Award playing nothing but scrubs.

That is why we should have hired an OC and WR coach who are extremely good recruiters. Kf has said a million times defense comes first, so the only way is recruit more Cooper type players so the wealth can be shared more with the O. Only good selling point we have right now is, look, we are the worst in all of the P5 and so if you are any good, you should get playing time fairly fast. As a 4 star, you have to wonder, do you want to ride the pine at OSU, Bama and the likes, or be playing year 1 or 2.

To quote my personal advisor the magic 8-Ball, “Don’t count on it”.

Got a guy who usually has pretty solid info. Says Buie and Bostick look the part. Solid build, explosive etc... I am probably just drinking the Kool-Aid but I think the WR core will be better than people think. Which doesn't mean they are great, but better.

Eventually someone has to break thru. Makes you appreciate guys like CJ Jones, Vandeberg, McNutt, Mo Brown, etc.

Reactions: CookyMonster
Got a guy who usually has pretty solid info. Says Buie and Bostick look the part. Solid build, explosive etc... I am probably just drinking the Kool-Aid but I think the WR core will be better than people think. Which doesn't mean they are great, but better.
In two years at Iowa, Bostick has 0 catches for 0 yards after picking the Hawks over Bowling Green. I wouldn't get your hopes up, though anything can happen.

If the Hawks want to improve on offense the Hawks need to improve on recruiting skill position players.

As long as we don't see balls bouncing off hands.

Isn't there a WR with the last name Howard? I don't see him on the roster. But it is an old with Vines still on there.

In two years at Iowa, Bostick has 0 catches for 0 yards after picking the Hawks over Bowling Green. I wouldn't get your hopes up, though anything can happen.

If the Hawks want to improve on offense the Hawks need to improve on recruiting skill position players.
Not a KF apologist and Iowa offense deserves all the criticism but you are trying to hard as usual and come off like an idiot, again. First off look at bostick’s offer list. Cherry pick one MAC school and ignore his other P5 offers. Then you do your usual bitching and complaining saying Iowa needs to improve skill position recruiting. Getting someone like Bostick out of IL a high 3* was a good pickup and what Iowa needs more of.

Lastly he was a RS freshman who has been injured. Not uncommon to have no stats. List is endless of skill players or players in general who didn’t put up stats or see the field as a RS frosh.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you but Brandon Wegher was an elite recruit. A 4 star with offers from Auburn, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc. Doll was rated the 10th best prospect out of Iowa, with offers from UNI, Army, ISU. The only thing these recruits have in common is the color of their skin.

Sadly, there's not a whole lot to be optimistic about in terms of future skill position players. The latest QB commit brought in to break the streak of woeful QB performance at Iowa is a 3 star MAC caliber kid who is going to have to develop a great deal to be a Big 10 QB. No RBs or WRs have committed to Iowa in the 2025 class and the Hawks signed just ONE WR in the 2024 class (and that was a kid with zero scholarship offers other than Iowa).
Oh Yeah, we will still beat your clones.

Not a KF apologist and Iowa offense deserves all the criticism but you are trying to hard as usual and come off like an idiot, again. First off look at bostick’s offer list. Cherry pick one MAC school and ignore his other P5 offers. Then you do your usual bitching and complaining saying Iowa needs to improve skill position recruiting. Getting someone like Bostick out of IL a high 3* was a good pickup and what Iowa needs more of.

Lastly he was a RS freshman who has been injured. Not uncommon to have no stats. List is endless of skill players or players in general who didn’t put up stats or see the field as a RS frosh.

lol This guy is "not a Kirk apologist," yet cites Bostic as a stud WR despite being in his 3rd year in the program and never making a catch.

How many stud WRs at Iowa had zero catches in their first two years then suddenly became a star? The fact is, most difference making wide receivers at any school are good enough to come in and make plays as freshmen (DJK had 500 yards receiving as a frosh; McNutt had 700 yrds as a true sophomore after switching from QB; even guys like Arland Bruce & Kaegan Johnson had 20+ catches as true freshmen). It's not a position where you need to put on weight or learn how to catch.

But yeah, maybe Bostic just needs a few more years to "learn the system" and is a super star in the waiting.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I see Aidan McDermott (CR Xavier) has switched over to offense and listed as a WR on the roster. He was a CB last year. Just a pup yet.

lol This guy is "not a Kirk apologist," yet cites Bostic as a stud WR despite being in his 3rd year in the program and never making a catch.

How many stud WRs at Iowa had zero catches in their first two years then suddenly became a star? The fact is, most difference making wide receivers at any school are good enough to come in and make plays as freshmen (DJK had 500 yards receiving as a frosh; McNutt had 700 yrds as a true sophomore after switching from QB; even guys like Arland Bruce & Kaegan Johnson had 20+ catches as true freshmen). It's not a position where you need to put on weight or learn how to catch.

But yeah, maybe Bostic just needs a few more years to "learn the system" and is a super star in the waiting.
First off I never claimed bostick was a “stud” I just implied it was stupid to write a kid off after 2 years and finishing his rs freshman season. As for mcnutt he wasn’t a true soph. He was a rs soph in 09’ who had had 1 catch for 11 yards his 1st 2 years on campus. But don’t let facts get in your way just like how you glossed over and ignored bostick’s P5 offers…. but you keep on being you and do your tiresome schtick.

Reactions: savage84
First off I never claimed bostick was a “stud” I just implied it was stupid to write a kid off after 2 years and finishing his rs freshman season. As for mcnutt he wasn’t a true soph. He was a rs soph in 09’ who had had 1 catch for 11 yards his 1st 2 years on campus. But don’t let facts get in your way just like how you glossed over and ignored bostick’s P5 offers…. but you keep on being you and do your tiresome schtick.
Bostick got in toward mid to late season last year, and not fair to judge a kid when we had that for QB play and OL play at times and the play calling.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT