ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Been Out to Eat Lately?

I met a college friend who lives in Atlanta - who I have not seen since 1986 - last weekend at the Omni Resort on Amelia Island. We sat in the bar and ordered an appetizer from the bar menu. Each of us had one Mich Ultra Light (my favorite beer flavored water which I didn’t finish) and a Charcuterie Board. We split the tab which came to $70. Interesting factoid: they no longer take cash. Plastic only. 💸 Employees have sticky fingers these days,
The place was packed by the way.

No pic and I went out to a supper club in NE Iowa. We both had the regular cut Prime Rib, baked, and salad bar. No pic had 3 beers, I had 2 bourbons. Bill was $100 including tip. That said, we have enough leftovers for another meal tonight so while that amount may seem like a lot, getting 2 meals makes it "more" acceptable.

And it was damn good!

That sounds damn cheap. Like, beyond my imagination cheap.

And what the hell is a supper club?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

• Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
I'm driving about 67MPH on I35 to conserve fuel and within a few miles 20 high stakes SUVs are blowing by me doing 80 to who knows how fast, and I'm wondering, are these guys blasting down the Interstate to get to a fancy restaurant to spend a small fortune so they can bitch about how it costs to eat out?

And within the next 20 miles, another string of Escalades, Infinitys, Volvos and Lexus whiz by in a blur.

Reactions: billanole
My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.
$275 a month to eat out 2-3 times a week works out to about $27.50 per meal. At what point in your adult life were you able to order four drinks and an entree for that much?

Reactions: artradley
Wife and I went to Joe Tripps place, Harbingers, last night down on Ingersol. It was good and we were warned going in "it's expensive and the portions are small but it's delicious" which was accurate.

I had 2 old fashions, she had 2 martinis, she had the halibut, I had the wagyu.

195 bucks after tip.

We enjoyed the 3rd period of the Rangers game at the Alpine over a 10 dollar pitcher, love the alpine.

Good anniversary.

Last edited:

A Supper Club is basically just a nice restaurant that is typically only open for "supper". It may include entertainment but the ones I have been to have not. Some supper clubs, like the Ced-Ral in CR, give you a veggie tray and an appetizer tray before your dinner. Others like the one we visited have a salad bar, others just bring you a salad.

Since you mentioned pricing, we were in the middle of nowhere in NE Iowa. Things tend to be cheaper in those parts.

Do you live in Iowa? I can't fathom living in Iowa or Wisco and not knowing what a supper club is unless your under 25.

Do you live in Iowa? I can't fathom living in Iowa or Wisco and not knowing what a supper club is unless your under 25.

I was born and raised in Iowa, but left in 1978. I go back every couple of years. But I have not heard the term, and Google isn’t really clarifying it for me.

I was in Portsmouth, NH this week on a work trip. Leaving town, we crossed over into Kittery, ME to pick up road “fuel” to drive South with.
We hit up https://bobsclamhut.com/
Two of us each ordered a quart of clam strips and a half pound lobster roll to go. Market price and no tip as it is a takeout joint was $185. I guess that is expensive for lunch, amirite?
We both wound up in a near seafood induced coma.

Last edited:
A Supper Club is basically just a nice restaurant that is typically only open for "supper". It may include entertainment but the ones I have been to have not. Some supper clubs, like the Ced-Ral in CR, give you a veggie tray and an appetizer tray before your dinner. Others like the one we visited have a salad bar, others just bring you a salad.

Since you mentioned pricing, we were in the middle of nowhere in NE Iowa. Things tend to be cheaper in those parts.

I don’t think Burlington has or had any such thing.

I think supper clubs are mostly a Wisconsin thing although there is some bleeding into the border states along the border counties.

We went with buddies to one near Greensboro, NC many years ago that served up pretty good eats.
After the meal, tables were moved back and a circular stage raised several feet upwards in the middle of the room.
A fun little escapade played out in front of us. Cool spot.
We never had the chance to return as we were just in town visiting.

It just suddenly dawned on me that the iconic Silver Slipper in Tallahassee was actually named the SS Supper Club.
It was the longtime home of the FSU QB meetings and the go to spot for many events.
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/m...azed-remembered-haven-politicians/3629031001/ Y chi

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT