ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Been Out to Eat Lately?

My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.

First, we went to Central Standard in Waukee. We each had a beer and a mule, and then we split a burger. The burger was terrible and I'm 99% sure they just drove down the street and grabbed a McDonalds burger, threw some bacon on it, and called it good. The bill was just shy of $70, not including tip.

2 weekends ago, we went to Pour Choices in Grimes. I had a beer and a cocktail; she had a margarita. We split a thing of cheese curds which were incredible, and then we split a burger. That was an $84 tab that came out to $100 even with tip.

Last night we wanted to keep it "cheap" so we went to Jethro's in Waukee. She got the half order of boneless wings, which was 85% bread, 15% chicken, and 2 Captain/diets. I got an order of the traditional wings and also had a couple Captain/diets (we're high-class people). Bill came to $64 before tip. This floored me because it's Jethro's and it was half price boneless wings night.

We both do pretty well, but we decided last night we're not doing this anymore. We really enjoy going out and having a drink on a patio plus splitting an appetizer. I don't think I can justify this anymore knowing that 2 drinks + an appetizer will cost at minimum, $50. I cannot imagine what it costs for a family to go out and buy dinner.

I don't know what kinds of margins these places are pulling in from food and alcohol sales but I feel like this isn't sustainable, right? Like eventually people are going to be tired of spending this kind of money for an hour or 2 of being out of the house.
I've learned how to cook so much shit since COVID that I refuse to go out to eat anymore. Hell I even learned how to make sourdough pizzas and bought a nice little oven. The food I make is much better, made exactly how I want it and it costs about 1/4 as much. I get to grill 3 nights a week and use the smoker usually once a week and I'm constantly adding new things.

Also have anywhere from 10-20 people over every Saturday and have a huge potluck, tons of leftovers for the rest of the week.

I can't justify going out to eat unless I'm on vacation.

Last edited:
Ditto for me on the smoker, I’ve owned one from about a year now and for $50-60 I can make a huge amount of BBQ protein and some smoked side dishes and invite family and friends over to feast and usually have leftovers to keep and send home with the guests. When we would carry out BBQ locally you’re looking at $20/pound for the smoked meat alone so that adds up very quickly.
To your point, it is way cheaper doing very tasty ribs at home with a decent smoker, and the pulled pork from a restaurant is criminally overpriced. It is a huge, cheap, fatty cut of meat and they are almost idiot proof to make, as all one needs is smoke, heat, seasoning, and time. Just doing one butt should feed a ton of people with leftovers, like you say.

It’s getting more costly to eat at a restaurant because of Bernie Sanders and The Squad supporters destroying the value of the dollar.
OH HELL YEAH — DA HAWKEYE HITMAN IS PLAYING DA FOOKIN HITS AND GOING AFTER BERNIE AND DA SQUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY WAY THIS GETS BETTER IS IF DA HITMAN CRACKS OPEN AN ICE COLD CAN OF SPRITE AND SMACKS ALL DA LOONY BETA CUCK MARXIST COMMUNIST LIBTAHDS!!!!! ALL YOU LOONY LIBS DO IS GUZZLE SEMEN AND SOY ALL DAY INSTEAD OF WORKING HARD AND KICKIN ASSES LIKE DA FOOKIN HITMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's ridiculous anymore. I think I spent 50 on wings and drinks watching the NBA playoffs the other night.

But I work from home and it's part of how I socialize anymore, so it is what it is.

I get the issue if things are tight financially.
Of all the bar food I've consumed, wings are far and away the most common order for me. I cannot understand how the price just keeps climbing. A very short while ago a dozen wings was $10-$12. Let's call it a $1 a wing.

I paid $20 for 10 traditional wings at Jethro's last night. Jethro's wings are damn good, but they are not $2 a wing good.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Also have anywhere from 10-20 people over every Saturday and have a huge potluck, tons of leftovers for the rest of the week.
Cool man, I'll keep an eye out for my invite.

R.9178eff99df076eab250dfb16e53b588

Reactions: Ree4
I've learned how to cook so much shit since COVID that I refuse to go out to eat anymore. Hell I even learned how to make sourdough pizzas and bought a nice little oven. The food I make is much better, made exactly how I want it and it costs about 1/4 as much. I get to grill 3 nights a week and use the smoker usually once a week and I'm constantly adding new things.

I come across so many recipes on Instagram I can barely keep up trying them all. I made a simple chicken cordon bleu hashbrown bake Wednesday night.

We spend around $1000 a month eating out, which sounds crazy, but in reality that's only 2-3 times a week.

It's not just the mom and pop restaurants either. Couple weekends ago the wife asked me to grab Taco Johns for her and the kids on the way home, $50. When she told me the price I was like wait, read the order back to me again?

I come across so many recipes on Instagram I can barely keep up trying them all. I made a simple chicken cordon bleu hashbrown bake Wednesday night.
It's always fun to experiment and I've never had anything turn out bad, I have some specific go-to items but I'm always looking to add new things. Ribs are on deck for tomorrow!

It's always fun to experiment and I've never had anything turn out bad, I have some specific go-to items but I'm always looking to add new things. Ribs are on deck for tomorrow!
I was told to make those on the PBC for Mother's Day.

Well this thread has now shaped the remainder of the day. Firing up the green egg later this afternoon for chicken thighs to go with salad and sautéed fresh green beans. Grilling/smoking will be paired with ice cold beer, and food with pinot grigio.

You don’t go out anymore because you’re insufferable to be around and it’s more like you have 10-20 pro Palestinian Marxists over every Saturday so you can game plan for the protests for the following week.

I've been meaning to add up what we spend on eating out so I can hopefully convince my better half that we can do better... by that I mean spend significantly less. We're not broke or in debt and still saving everything we need for retirement but what a waste of money. We typically have AT LEAST 1 meal a weekend (Fri-Su ) that is $250+. Some of that is alcohol, of course. Perhaps a martini and glass of wine for each. Sometimes a bottle of wine.

I've been meaning to add up what we spend on eating out so I can hopefully convince my better half that we can do better... by that I mean spend significantly less. We're not broke or in debt and still saving everything we need for retirement but what a waste of money. We typically have AT LEAST 1 meal a weekend (Fri-Su ) that is $250+. Some of that is alcohol, of course. Perhaps a martini and glass of wine for each. Sometimes a bottle of wine.
That said, if you're ever in Seattle, a splurge meal that is worth it in every regard is El Gaucho. Food, atmosphere, service, bar... It has it all. We ate there a couple weeks ago.

I travel all of Iowa 6 days a week and I can assure you small town Iowa is cheaper than any metro. There might be exceptions of course, but that's not the rule.

If there are daily exceptions, doesn't that make it a rule? Naso's in Marion seems to have daily specials that are a crazy amount of food for cheap. I can go to 5 authentic Mexican spots and get a burrito and 2 tacos for $5.95 for lunch. The list goes on.

The bar food you get in small town IA may very well be a few pennies cheaper, but the variety you get in the metro for pretty much the same cost is a better deal.

Again my opinion

Go out to eat all the time. I honestly couldn’t tell you how much more expensive it is now vs. 10 years ago. It just seems like everything goes up every year a little bit. I honestly dont pay attention to prices.

You don’t go out anymore because you’re insufferable to be around and it’s more like you have 10-20 pro Palestinian Marxists over every Saturday so you can game plan for the protests for the following week.
HOOOOOO DAMN!!!!!!! DA HITMAN IS EXECUTIN DA LIBTAHDS TODAY AND BRINGIN DA FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FOOKIN MARXISTS COMMUNISTS LIKE DA BERNIE AND DA SQUAD CAN'T HIDE FROM DA HITMAN!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY AFTER HE SMASHES THOSE ICE COLD SPRITES ON A WARM DAY!!!!!!!!! YOU BETA CUCK PROTESTERS GOT NOTHIN ON ALPHA DAWGS LIKE ME AND DA HITMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GUEST_7d86e436-b2fc-4cb5-9b24-dfb6e5da3c3e

Nah I have a huge group of friends and an awesome location right next to a school where all the kids can go play. It's really the American dream. Nice try though!

Usually go out at least a couple of times a week, used to be more before covid, but lifestyle has changed a bit. It's something I/we like, the cost is what the cost is, and doesn't change the calculus much.

There are just certain cost related things that annoy me. Like places that want to charge $2/wing, I will not pay that. And places that tack on "hidden" fees like a 3% service fee, or a 5% fee so that they can provide healthcare for their employees.

Last night at a pizzeria/brewery we got $9 beers, $13 cocktail, $15 salad, $13 bread and burrata and a $24 pizza. All of that seems reasonable enough.

But at the end there's a 8% fee that they describe like this: labor equity: "we’ve added a 8% service fee to your check to support higher wages for our kitchen and dish staff. they HUSTLE; sit at the bar and watch’m. thank you for your support!"

Then of course you're expected to tip 20% on top of that.
Fox Tv Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen
Yeah I'd be saying this to that arrangement

Reactions: ThorneStockton
We dine out probably about 2-3 times a weekend. My kids are big enough to fend for themselves anymore so the wife and I are pretty much regulars on friday nights for happy hour and a couple appetizers to share. Looking forward to that tonight at the local sports bar to watch the Avs. Then the rest of the weekends are so busy (6 soccer/lacrosse games this weekend) that we will likely be stopping for lunch both tomorrow and Sunday. Just easier and it is nice to have some time waiting for others to cook my food while I get to chat with my kids for a while.

We enjoy it. Everyone can pick what they want so no discussion about what's for dinner/lunch. Hate that daily question. Yes, the price can be painful at times when add it up for the weekend, but totally worth it.

I admire this - I would have a hard time doing it - but I admire the discipline and commitment.

It is not easy.

I've stated many times here, I'm the poorest bastard on this board. I still manage to enjoy most everything I have all my life. But that takes a whole lot of financial discipline.

Food is one of the very few non recurring, adjustable costs in my life any more - and I got other bills to pay obviously. I still get to eat most the same things I've always eaten...I simply make all that at home now.

I told the wife last year I wanted to cut back on dinners and I was ignored. I was told to “live life”

Well her and her friend went out to eat last weekend and she forgot our joint credit card. She paid.

She had the audacity to mention when she got home how expensive it was for the meal.

I was like holy shit babe, do you even look at the prices and she admitted that she didn’t.

175/30 = just short of $6 per day. Trust me, it ain't easy. But I have a tight budget, and I try my best to stick to it.

The best way to say it is I look for sales on meat always, and pretty much buy the other items as cheaply as possible. For example, Hy Vee had a sale on pork last month that was I believe 1 day only and $1.99/pound for value packs. I loaded up on two 4 pound packs, divvied them up into 1 pound batches, eat one of those per week. That kind of stuff. Have been finding chicken pretty inexpensively lately too - for example, Fareway has a $0.69/pound for hindquarters currently. I'm currently thawing some bone in thighs I got at Hy Vee for $0.99/pound...yummy.

Buying in bulk, scouring ads...pretty easy to eat reasonably well inexpensively. The deals are out there, just have to search for them.

The trick is to avoid eating out unless you absolutely have no choice. Example - had my birthday recently, and I wanted to eat something for carry-out - after all, it's my birthday, live a little. A medium pizza from my favorite mom and pops was going to be at the very least $25. A Pizza Ranch 12 pack of fried chicken was $33 (! - that would have been a weekend's worth of food...but still).

Going out to eat, fast food - I simply cannot afford it at this time considering I can make similar food at home for a third to at times a quarter of the price. I wound up buying some Fareway thick rib chops @ $1.99/pound, along with some baby red potatoes and grilled all of that up. 2 days of birthday dinners for just shy of $10 total.

Grilled taters and BBQ chops...delicious!

That $100+ per month is 3 weeks of gasoline. Pays for some of my medical bills. Pays my electric bill, etc.

Over the course of a year, it adds up.
You’re a frugal man, much like myself, props to you my friend.

Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.

First, we went to Central Standard in Waukee. We each had a beer and a mule, and then we split a burger. The burger was terrible and I'm 99% sure they just drove down the street and grabbed a McDonalds burger, threw some bacon on it, and called it good. The bill was just shy of $70, not including tip.

2 weekends ago, we went to Pour Choices in Grimes. I had a beer and a cocktail; she had a margarita. We split a thing of cheese curds which were incredible, and then we split a burger. That was an $84 tab that came out to $100 even with tip.

Last night we wanted to keep it "cheap" so we went to Jethro's in Waukee. She got the half order of boneless wings, which was 85% bread, 15% chicken, and 2 Captain/diets. I got an order of the traditional wings and also had a couple Captain/diets (we're high-class people). Bill came to $64 before tip. This floored me because it's Jethro's and it was half price boneless wings night.

We both do pretty well, but we decided last night we're not doing this anymore. We really enjoy going out and having a drink on a patio plus splitting an appetizer. I don't think I can justify this anymore knowing that 2 drinks + an appetizer will cost at minimum, $50. I cannot imagine what it costs for a family to go out and buy dinner.

I don't know what kinds of margins these places are pulling in from food and alcohol sales but I feel like this isn't sustainable, right? Like eventually people are going to be tired of spending this kind of money for an hour or 2 of being out of the house.
Happy hour tonight while kids go to birthday party. Doing dozen oysters @ $3 each, $10 burger, $7 truffle fries. Wash it down with a few shitty Heineken 0.0s at $8 a pop because I’m DD.

Of all the bar food I've consumed, wings are far and away the most common order for me. I cannot understand how the price just keeps climbing. A very short while ago a dozen wings was $10-$12. Let's call it a $1 a wing.

I paid $20 for 10 traditional wings at Jethro's last night. Jethro's wings are damn good, but they are not $2 a wing good.
Bird flu?

Just ate at a restaurant in downtown Indy. They add a 20% “service charge”. No matter the size of your group or what you order. Do they expect you to tip on top of that?

Just ate at a restaurant in downtown Indy. They add a 20% “service charge”. No matter the size of your group or what you order. Do they expect you to tip on top of that?
No, that’s because of so many people who don’t tip; more and more restaurants just make the tip mandatory.

No pic and I went out to a supper club in NE Iowa. We both had the regular cut Prime Rib, baked, and salad bar. No pic had 3 beers, I had 2 bourbons. Bill was $100 including tip. That said, we have enough leftovers for another meal tonight so while that amount may seem like a lot, getting 2 meals makes it "more" acceptable.

And it was damn good!

We ate at St Elmo’s in downtown Indy Friday night. That was a $310 bill before tip, for 3 of us. (This wasn’t the one that added a 20% service charge).

No pic and I went out to a supper club in NE Iowa. We both had the regular cut Prime Rib, baked, and salad bar. No pic had 3 beers, I had 2 bourbons. Bill was $100 including tip. That said, we have enough leftovers for another meal tonight so while that amount may seem like a lot, getting 2 meals makes it "more" acceptable.

And it was damn good!
For that much booze and prime rib that doesn’t sound expensive at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT