ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Been Out to Eat Lately?

Meaning Go On GIF
"They changed their guacamole from $1.50 to $1.80. I mean, $1.50 is already pretty darn high. So they changed it to $1.80, and I'll never again get guacamole."
The Kansas City Royals' pitcher continued with:

"It's not about the guacamole itself. I just don't want to let them win."

My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.

First, we went to Central Standard in Waukee. We each had a beer and a mule, and then we split a burger. The burger was terrible and I'm 99% sure they just drove down the street and grabbed a McDonalds burger, threw some bacon on it, and called it good. The bill was just shy of $70, not including tip.

2 weekends ago, we went to Pour Choices in Grimes. I had a beer and a cocktail; she had a margarita. We split a thing of cheese curds which were incredible, and then we split a burger. That was an $84 tab that came out to $100 even with tip.

Last night we wanted to keep it "cheap" so we went to Jethro's in Waukee. She got the half order of boneless wings, which was 85% bread, 15% chicken, and 2 Captain/diets. I got an order of the traditional wings and also had a couple Captain/diets (we're high-class people). Bill came to $64 before tip. This floored me because it's Jethro's and it was half price boneless wings night.

We both do pretty well, but we decided last night we're not doing this anymore. We really enjoy going out and having a drink on a patio plus splitting an appetizer. I don't think I can justify this anymore knowing that 2 drinks + an appetizer will cost at minimum, $50. I cannot imagine what it costs for a family to go out and buy dinner.

I don't know what kinds of margins these places are pulling in from food and alcohol sales but I feel like this isn't sustainable, right? Like eventually people are going to be tired of spending this kind of money for an hour or 2 of being out of the house.
We go out for dinner typically 4 nights a week. It is great. Willingly going out to dinner and then angrily yelling about how expensive it is seems kind of silly.

Reactions: SoProudNole
Oh yeah, Fiesta here in North Liberty every other Fri, then somewhere with a patio Sat/Sun if the weather's good. Rotates around Field Day, Big Grove, Red's. Yeah bill averages around $100 but we're empty nesters and fine with it. If the kids were still along, f that, would not be eating out nearly that much.

We go out for dinner typically 4 nights a week. It is great. Willingly going out to dinner and then angrily yelling about how expensive it is seems kind of silly.
If there is a game on later we have been known to have a larger order for leftovers so we can watch and not cook.

Dropped $100 at the High Life Lounge for 4 people and only two had drinks. Sandwiches and deep fried sides.

It is what it is, but we do eat out less and when we do we usually it back on where.

It’s crazy to me a large pizza is often $28-$30 at non chain place.

My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.

First, we went to Central Standard in Waukee. We each had a beer and a mule, and then we split a burger. The burger was terrible and I'm 99% sure they just drove down the street and grabbed a McDonalds burger, threw some bacon on it, and called it good. The bill was just shy of $70, not including tip.

2 weekends ago, we went to Pour Choices in Grimes. I had a beer and a cocktail; she had a margarita. We split a thing of cheese curds which were incredible, and then we split a burger. That was an $84 tab that came out to $100 even with tip.

Last night we wanted to keep it "cheap" so we went to Jethro's in Waukee. She got the half order of boneless wings, which was 85% bread, 15% chicken, and 2 Captain/diets. I got an order of the traditional wings and also had a couple Captain/diets (we're high-class people). Bill came to $64 before tip. This floored me because it's Jethro's and it was half price boneless wings night.

We both do pretty well, but we decided last night we're not doing this anymore. We really enjoy going out and having a drink on a patio plus splitting an appetizer. I don't think I can justify this anymore knowing that 2 drinks + an appetizer will cost at minimum, $50. I cannot imagine what it costs for a family to go out and buy dinner.

I don't know what kinds of margins these places are pulling in from food and alcohol sales but I feel like this isn't sustainable, right? Like eventually people are going to be tired of spending this kind of money for an hour or 2 of being out of the house.
That's cheap.

Reactions: artradley
Dropped just over $90 on concessions last night at the ballgame for myself, wife and two kids.
For a long while, we make it a point to eat before going to sporting events or the airport whenever possible. Concession stands are a scam. And on top of that, they want you to tip 15% - 20%.

My wife and I eat out less and less. Not really because it is more expensive, though it is, but because the food is almost always disappointing. It seems like half the time it tastes like warmed up box food.

Reactions: arrrrrghhhh!
My wife and I eat out less and less. Not really because it is more expensive, though it is, but because the food is almost always disappointing. It seems like half the time it tastes like warmed up box food.
Yup. That's exactly what happened when we went to Central Standard in Waukee. I took one bite of that burger and immediately looked up the closest McD's because I was convinced that's where it came from.

It's one thing to have mediocre food. It's another to charge me $18.00 for a mediocre burger and mushy fries. Lesson learned there.

I am trying to imagine living on $175 per month, or about $3 a day for food. Do you catch/kill your proteins?

175/30 = just short of $6 per day. Trust me, it ain't easy. But I have a tight budget, and I try my best to stick to it.

The best way to say it is I look for sales on meat always, and pretty much buy the other items as cheaply as possible. For example, Hy Vee had a sale on pork last month that was I believe 1 day only and $1.99/pound for value packs. I loaded up on two 4 pound packs, divvied them up into 1 pound batches, eat one of those per week. That kind of stuff. Have been finding chicken pretty inexpensively lately too - for example, Fareway has a $0.69/pound for hindquarters currently. I'm currently thawing some bone in thighs I got at Hy Vee for $0.99/pound...yummy.

Buying in bulk, scouring ads...pretty easy to eat reasonably well inexpensively. The deals are out there, just have to search for them.

The trick is to avoid eating out unless you absolutely have no choice. Example - had my birthday recently, and I wanted to eat something for carry-out - after all, it's my birthday, live a little. A medium pizza from my favorite mom and pops was going to be at the very least $25. A Pizza Ranch 12 pack of fried chicken was $33 (! - that would have been a weekend's worth of food...but still).

Going out to eat, fast food - I simply cannot afford it at this time considering I can make similar food at home for a third to at times a quarter of the price. I wound up buying some Fareway thick rib chops @ $1.99/pound, along with some baby red potatoes and grilled all of that up. 2 days of birthday dinners for just shy of $10 total.

Grilled taters and BBQ chops...delicious!

That $100+ per month is 3 weeks of gasoline. Pays for some of my medical bills. Pays my electric bill, etc.

Over the course of a year, it adds up.

Coors Light draft (16oz) at my local tavern on a Saturday night was $7.50 (before tip). Soon, a real silver bullet will be cheaper.

Reactions: drew_hawk
175/30 = just short of $6 per day. Trust me, it ain't easy. But I have a tight budget, and I try my best to stick to it.

The best way to say it is I look for sales on meat always, and pretty much buy the other items as cheaply as possible. For example, Hy Vee had a sale on pork last month that was I believe 1 day only and $1.99/pound for value packs. I loaded up on two 4 pound packs, divvied them up into 1 pound batches, eat one of those per week. That kind of stuff. Have been finding chicken pretty inexpensively lately too - for example, Fareway has a $0.69/pound for hindquarters currently. I'm currently thawing some bone in thighs I got at Hy Vee for $0.99/pound...yummy.

Buying in bulk, scouring ads...pretty easy to eat reasonably well inexpensively. The deals are out there, just have to search for them.

The trick is to avoid eating out unless you absolutely have no choice. Example - had my birthday recently, and I wanted to eat something for carry-out - after all, it's my birthday, live a little. A medium pizza from my favorite mom and pops was going to be at the very least $25. A Pizza Ranch 12 pack of fried chicken was $33 (! - that would have been a weekend's worth of food...but still).

Going out to eat, fast food - I simply cannot afford it at this time considering I can make similar food at home for a third to at times a quarter of the price. I wound up buying some Fareway thick rib chops @ $1.99/pound, along with some baby red potatoes and grilled all of that up. 2 days of birthday dinners for just shy of $10 total.

Grilled taters and BBQ chops...delicious!

That $100+ per month is 3 weeks of gasoline. Pays for some of my medical bills. Pays my electric bill, etc.

Over the course of a year, it adds up.

I admire this - I would have a hard time doing it - but I admire the discipline and commitment.

Reactions: Twoooooooo

Are you bitching about spending $275 for 3 meals at restaurants? $100/meal is pretty typical here in Tampa Bay. Where you live? BFE?

A dozen premium golf balls are $60…..same golf balls 60 years ago were $12.50/dozen……Things are tough all over.

Advice…>..want to sound like an old man, complain about how much everything costs nowadays.
I understand what your saying and don’t necessarily disagree with you but the times, they are a changing……according to Bob Dylan.

I cannot stand spending money on dining out. Unless it's for a birthday or a group of friends, I would never dine out. I like cooking and we can't go out as a family or 3 or 4 anymore without it being $80 and that's with no alcohol.

Reactions: Ree4
My wife and I had our first ever 200 dollar meal in Des Moines a few weeks ago at Cooper and Hawk. She had a martini and glass of wine and I had a glass of wine and a old fashion, not bottle service. That hit me.
Well you started with ~$50 worth of booze.

I went out last week at a conference and dinner for 2 was $150 before tip and that was only 1 glass of wine.

A dozen premium golf balls are $60…..same golf balls 60 years ago were $12.50/dozen……Things are tough all over.

Advice…>..want to sound like an old man, complain about how much everything costs nowadays.
I understand what your saying and don’t necessarily disagree with you but the times, they are a changing……according to Bob Dylan.
I know I know, that's why I come here to complain.

• Haha
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I cannot stand spending money on dining out. Unless it's for a birthday or a group of friends, I would never dine out. I like cooking and we can't go out as a family or 3 or 4 anymore without it being $80 and that's with no alcohol.
Sometimes, a good Old Fashion is well worth the $$…..

I was going to say OP sounded a lot like my Dad (who would be 95 if he were still alive.)

It’s getting more costly to eat at a restaurant because of Bernie Sanders and The Squad supporters destroying the value of the dollar.

Yeah, I don't get that. If that is the mindset, one would never eat out, because you will never win from a pricing standpoint. So if you accept that premise, then it becomes maximizing flavor, within a budget you have predetermined. Guac shouldn't break the bank for anyone, let alone a MLB pitcher.

The point is that anybody can afford the 15% increase on the $1.30 guac but why pay 15% more for the same thing?

I watched my wife and I's bill for pizza, a salad, and a couple drinks go from $55 to $65 to $75 over the course of 18 months. What value has been gained by a 36% increase on the same thing? It didn't get any better, that clipped inflation to the tune of 4-5x. The $20 isn't unaffordable and isn't noticeable

Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes
We go out to eat a couple times a week. Prices are high but it provides us with a stress free night where we get to connect without having to cook and clean so I'm willing to pay it.
This.

I have decided to just go with the flow and expect dining out to be a relatively large expense.

Inflation sucks, but fortunately for us, our pay has increased at about the exact same pace over the past four years so while we get sticker shock at seeing the bill, in terms of real economic impact on the family budget, it’s minimal.

I realize that makes us fortunate and not everyone else is though.

Stop drinking high priced alcohol drinks and drink iced tea or water.
That's where your cost is skyrocketing.

• Sad
Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes
The point is that anybody can afford the 15% increase on the $1.30 guac but why pay 15% more for the same thing?

I watched my wife and I's bill for pizza, a salad, and a couple drinks go from $55 to $65 to $75 over the course of 18 months. What value has been gained by a 36% increase on the same thing? It didn't get any better, that clipped inflation to the tune of 4-5x. The $20 isn't unaffordable and isn't noticeable
I don't know what is real and what is not with regard to inflation, increased food costs, increased labor costs, etc. I think for the most part, places like Chipotle, Qdoba, Panchero's, etc. are relatively interchangeable and demand for them is pretty elastic, so if one place is out of line with prices customer will shift their purchasing accordingly. If their food prices are all out of line or higher than you are willing to pay out of principle, then jump on a different supply curve (eating at home) like you have, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Yeah it's ridiculous anymore. I think I spent 50 on wings and drinks watching the NBA playoffs the other night.

But I work from home and it's part of how I socialize anymore, so it is what it is.

I get the issue if things are tight financially.

Reactions: Ree4
I don't mind dropping coin every once in awhile eating out, especially for food I know I cannot come close to achieving at home. But, that is why I have four different grills/smokers, a blackstone, sous vide, pizza oven, etc. Not only to have the right tool for the job and because I enjoy using them, but because I can make a pretty good meal for 4 with meat, fresh veggies, bread/pasta, and salad for under $50 (typically). For the 4 of us, if we go out for dinner, if there are any drinks ordered, after tip, I know I'm looking at 2x to 3x than eating at home, minimum. It adds up quickly and I am money ahead of break even on the cooking gear in a year, maybe 2, and then then the rest is savings.
Ditto for me on the smoker, I’ve owned one from about a year now and for $50-60 I can make a huge amount of BBQ protein and some smoked side dishes and invite family and friends over to feast and usually have leftovers to keep and send home with the guests. When we would carry out BBQ locally you’re looking at $20/pound for the smoked meat alone so that adds up very quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT