ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Been Out to Eat Lately?

Mister Hawkeyes

HR All-State
Feb 3, 2013
My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.

First, we went to Central Standard in Waukee. We each had a beer and a mule, and then we split a burger. The burger was terrible and I'm 99% sure they just drove down the street and grabbed a McDonalds burger, threw some bacon on it, and called it good. The bill was just shy of $70, not including tip.

2 weekends ago, we went to Pour Choices in Grimes. I had a beer and a cocktail; she had a margarita. We split a thing of cheese curds which were incredible, and then we split a burger. That was an $84 tab that came out to $100 even with tip.

Last night we wanted to keep it "cheap" so we went to Jethro's in Waukee. She got the half order of boneless wings, which was 85% bread, 15% chicken, and 2 Captain/diets. I got an order of the traditional wings and also had a couple Captain/diets (we're high-class people). Bill came to $64 before tip. This floored me because it's Jethro's and it was half price boneless wings night.

We both do pretty well, but we decided last night we're not doing this anymore. We really enjoy going out and having a drink on a patio plus splitting an appetizer. I don't think I can justify this anymore knowing that 2 drinks + an appetizer will cost at minimum, $50. I cannot imagine what it costs for a family to go out and buy dinner.

I don't know what kinds of margins these places are pulling in from food and alcohol sales but I feel like this isn't sustainable, right? Like eventually people are going to be tired of spending this kind of money for an hour or 2 of being out of the house.

A couple weeks ago I met with some friends at a metro breakfast joint. Breakfast plus tip and my bill was $24.

I was already not eating out because I knew these prices were out there. It was good little reminder that we're doing the right thing.

We usually go out once a month, and get take out twice a month. Usually comes to about $45-50 per meal.

I got the lunch special at the local Chinese restaurant yesterday......General Tso, wonton soup, and 2 crab rangoons. $7.25. Still consider it a bargain. Not a whole lot of good deals left out there.

Last edited:
My GF (no pic) and I have probably spent close to $275 in the past month just going out to eat. If someone told me they were spending that kind of coin on food, I would assume they are going out 2-3 nights a week, not 3 nights in a 5-week span.

First, we went to Central Standard in Waukee. We each had a beer and a mule, and then we split a burger. The burger was terrible and I'm 99% sure they just drove down the street and grabbed a McDonalds burger, threw some bacon on it, and called it good. The bill was just shy of $70, not including tip.

2 weekends ago, we went to Pour Choices in Grimes. I had a beer and a cocktail; she had a margarita. We split a thing of cheese curds which were incredible, and then we split a burger. That was an $84 tab that came out to $100 even with tip.

Last night we wanted to keep it "cheap" so we went to Jethro's in Waukee. She got the half order of boneless wings, which was 85% bread, 15% chicken, and 2 Captain/diets. I got an order of the traditional wings and also had a couple Captain/diets (we're high-class people). Bill came to $64 before tip. This floored me because it's Jethro's and it was half price boneless wings night.

We both do pretty well, but we decided last night we're not doing this anymore. We really enjoy going out and having a drink on a patio plus splitting an appetizer. I don't think I can justify this anymore knowing that 2 drinks + an appetizer will cost at minimum, $50. I cannot imagine what it costs for a family to go out and buy dinner.

I don't know what kinds of margins these places are pulling in from food and alcohol sales but I feel like this isn't sustainable, right? Like eventually people are going to be tired of spending this kind of money for an hour or 2 of being out of the house.
I don't mind dropping coin every once in awhile eating out, especially for food I know I cannot come close to achieving at home. But, that is why I have four different grills/smokers, a blackstone, sous vide, pizza oven, etc. Not only to have the right tool for the job and because I enjoy using them, but because I can make a pretty good meal for 4 with meat, fresh veggies, bread/pasta, and salad for under $50 (typically). For the 4 of us, if we go out for dinner, if there are any drinks ordered, after tip, I know I'm looking at 2x to 3x than eating at home, minimum. It adds up quickly and I am money ahead of break even on the cooking gear in a year, maybe 2, and then then the rest is savings.

My wife and I had our first ever 200 dollar meal in Des Moines a few weeks ago at Cooper and Hawk. She had a martini and glass of wine and I had a glass of wine and a old fashion, not bottle service. That hit me.

Exactly, if ordering alcohol know you are going to pay. Pints are likely $7-8 and mixed drinks are probably in the $10-18 range. Want to save money... have water and go drink at home.
I've seen IPAs approaching mixed drink prices.

It's pretty absurd- if anything I have a drink- but you can't go out and "have a few" without expecting a triple digit bill

Dropped just over $90 on concessions last night at the ballgame for myself, wife and two kids.
Over the weekend at my son's baseball game it wasn't that bad, but for 2 waters, a gatorade, a burger and a hotdog was $22.

That's about $100 more than I spend on average for ALL food in total for an entire month (for myself).

Took wifey (no pics) and the kids out for Mexican food last Saturday night. The bill, with tip, was $45. That said, we didn't get appetizers aside from chips/salsa and no drinks. One margarita each would have added $25 to the bill. Generally speaking, if it is just the wife and I going out to a semi decent place, I assume $75 - $100.

Usually go out at least a couple of times a week, used to be more before covid, but lifestyle has changed a bit. It's something I/we like, the cost is what the cost is, and doesn't change the calculus much.

There are just certain cost related things that annoy me. Like places that want to charge $2/wing, I will not pay that. And places that tack on "hidden" fees like a 3% service fee, or a 5% fee so that they can provide healthcare for their employees.

Last night at a pizzeria/brewery we got $9 beers, $13 cocktail, $15 salad, $13 bread and burrata and a $24 pizza. All of that seems reasonable enough.

But at the end there's a 8% fee that they describe like this: labor equity: "we’ve added a 8% service fee to your check to support higher wages for our kitchen and dish staff. they HUSTLE; sit at the bar and watch’m. thank you for your support!"

Then of course you're expected to tip 20% on top of that.

Get out of small town Iowa where the local eating joints usually don't have any competition.

The GF and I also eat out WAY to f'ing much but we're normally running to a softball practice for the girls or just out on a Saturday afternoon. It's expensive but it is what it is.

If you are so inclined I know there is a FB group that is called "What's the Special Today". Some small town participate. They have crazy deals on food/meals every day. I'd check there. Being frugal and eating out don't go hand and hand unfortunately.

We have resorted to splitting a meal with our drinks as to avoid bringing home leftovers. It’s still quite filling and the tab is more reasonable. But yes, there was a short time ago eating out was comparable to grocery store prices.

Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes
We go out to eat a couple times a week. Prices are high but it provides us with a stress free night where we get to connect without having to cook and clean so I'm willing to pay it.
That's been my mindset since I hit adulthood. I'm not going out to party; I'm going out to enjoy a meal and a drink or 2. I was living in Iowa City in 2018 and I remember going to Hudson's a couple nights a week. I could get 2 craft beers, a mixed drink, a massive burger with fries and it would run me $40-$45 with tip. That same meal is probably pushing $70-$80 now.

Get out of small town Iowa where the local eating joints usually don't have any competition.

The GF and I also eat out WAY to f'ing much but we're normally running to a softball practice for the girls or just out on a Saturday afternoon. It's expensive but it is what it is.

If you are so inclined I know there is a FB group that is called "What's the Special Today". Some small town participate. They have crazy deals on food/meals every day. I'd check there. Being frugal and eating out don't go hand and hand unfortunately.
I'm confused, are you saying get out of small town Iowa to find cheaper food, or better food?

I'm confused, are you saying get out of small town Iowa to find cheaper food, or better food?
I interpreted him to mean get of out small town due to monopolistic pricing. I don't buy that though because small towns have cheaper rents and to me the food seems cheaper there.

Reactions: torbee
If you’ve ever seen Zack Greinke articulate why he doesn’t get guac at chipotle anymore, that’s become me on dining out

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
pXqPoK.gif

I interpreted him to mean get of out small town due to monopolistic pricing. I don't buy that though because small towns have cheaper rents and to me the food seems cheaper there.

Smaller town food joints are without question cheaper than the metro.

stop drinking so much. You have to eat, you don't have to consume alcohol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT