ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to Carver to watch the women today?

Went with my dad and wife and invited a coworker and his two young kids. The women put on quite a fireworks display. Granted this was not the best possible competition but it felt like a college team wrestling a high school jv team at times. I wonder if the hawks could put two top ten teams with the talent they have. Looking forward to how this all goes down.

Went with my dad and wife and invited a coworker and his two young kids. The women put on quite a fireworks display. Granted this was not the best possible competition but it felt like a college team wrestling a high school jv team at times. I wonder if the hawks could put two top ten teams with the talent they have. Looking forward to how this all goes down.
The competition so far this season has been top 15 schools. Sacred Heart is #5 as a team. The school names might not sound typical for wrestling but these are good wrestlers/teams the Hawks are picking apart.

The competition so far this season has been top 15 schools. Sacred Heart is #5 as a team. The school names might not sound typical for wrestling but these are good wrestlers/teams the Hawks are picking apart.
I know I'm just saying there are two teams rank ahead of Iowa one by quite a bit. I wonder if there really is a 100 point gap.

I know I'm just saying there are two teams rank ahead of Iowa one by quite a bit. I wonder if there really is a 100 point gap.

There isn't. Deede isn't even ranked and she's probably #1, our 101s are both ranked too low, both might be semi-finalists come tourney time and could even face each other for the National title (although only the top point scorer counts for team points). We don't even have anyone ranked at 130, I'd imagine that isn't particularly accurate.

Reactions: acehawk
I believe the rankings are based off last season's tournament results (which is honestly the way early seasons rankings should be).

There's only 2 or 3 Hawkeyes that competed last year, so 70%+ isn't ranked, but they will be now.

I don't think Welker was ranked and she just demo'd Sacred Heart's #2. That 100pt gap will quickly disappear.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I believe the rankings are based off last season's tournament results (which is honestly the way early seasons rankings should be).

There's only 2 or 3 Hawkeyes that competed last year, so 70%+ isn't ranked, but they will be now.

I don't think Welker was ranked and she just demo'd Sacred Heart's #2. That 100pt gap will quickly disappear.
Kind of figured I knew what we had with Deede, the Gonzalez twins, and Taylor. I knew Welker was good, but she was on another level with her aggressiveness and dominance over the nation’s #2.

Last edited:
I’m curious to see how attendance holds when there’s just one opponent. I’d imagine some people wouldn’t travel for 10-15 total minutes of wrestling.

Only two home dates this year both quad duals. Smart move imo.
Agreed. I liked the quad format with a little down time in between duals, at least for a freestyle setting. Especially when Iowa is done while the other teams are still on match five. Plenty of time for the Carver cone line without missing any action.

When they wrestle in Sioux Falls it's only one dual, but since I live in Sioux City it's the closest one and an easy drive to check it out. Plus having family there makes it a more worthwhile trip for before and after. I would guess eventually they will try and package women's duals and men's duals together, which would be great for the reason you stated and also to get even more people in the building to see the women wrestle and help it grow even more. There isn't any women's season tickets to worry about at this point and probably still years away to ever get to that point, so it would only help to get eyeballs on them.

There isn’t. Iowa is the best team by far.

It’s early season and the rankings haven’t shaken out yet. Lots of college rookies in the Iowa lineup that are legit who will eventually ascend as will the team ranking.

Iowa is going to be big sistering everyone for awhile. No other school is devoting the resources to the sport that Iowa is.

When they wrestle in Sioux Falls it's only one dual, but since I live in Sioux City it's the closest one and an easy drive to check it out. Plus having family there makes it a more worthwhile trip for before and after. I would guess eventually they will try and package women's duals and men's duals together, which would be great for the reason you stated and also to get even more people in the building to see the women wrestle and help it grow even more. There isn't any women's season tickets to worry about at this point and probably still years away to ever get to that point, so it would only help to get eyeballs on them.
See ya there.

Reactions: Hawkgma
I'm assuming that in general all of the other schools like Iowa adding the sport because of what it means to the sport but it probably sucks for them to be so completely outclassed all of the sudden. Hope a few other big time D1 wrestling schools jump on and add woman's programs. Who do you think will be next? ASU? Penn State? Cornell?

Have the women wrestle in the men's intermission, they wrestle about that long.

I'm assuming that in general all of the other schools like Iowa adding the sport because of what it means to the sport but it probably sucks for them to be so completely outclassed all of the sudden. Hope a few other big time D1 wrestling schools jump on and add woman's programs. Who do you think will be next? ASU? Penn State? Cornell?
AF and likely the other Academies.

Reactions: Grip220 and johnyt9
Athletes have 5 years to compete 4 from the day they enter a 4 year school. Doesn't matter if the school has a team or not, the clock starts on day 1. Will she be able to petition to get the year back since Iowa didn't have a team? I would guess so but that will be uncharted territory.

Mir cannot redshirt - she did that last year.
Do you know for a fact that she red shirted? Her bio says "Sophomore" not "Redshirt Freshman".

We're splitting hairs over specifics we don't know. She's red shirting, injured, or was beaten out.
Either way she's not starting, at least for now.

Do you know for a fact that she red shirted? Her bio says "Sophomore" not "Redshirt Freshman".

We're splitting hairs over specifics we don't know. She's red shirting, injured, or was beaten out.
Either way she's not starting, at least for now.
If she didn't wrestle attached last year, she redshirted. It's an automatic designation, whether you use the 5th year or not.

Reactions: jrod65
My understanding is that everyone on roster last year used a redshirt:

Mine as well. Some of the members that transferred in are still benefitting from the free COVID year, just like other sports, otherwise Iowa might not be such an immediate force. Taylor and Deede wouldn't be on the team for instance and that's two favorites that put you right near the top from the jump. Then again there may be several on the other top teams also benefitting from the extra year.

AF and likely the other Academies.
ASU,Stanford and PSU are the ones that come to my mind. Texas? ISU maybe if they could afford it (though it would be just another way to lose to Iowa). There might be schools that need title IX balance that don't have a place for rowing. Had not thought of the academies but that might make sense and would be cool.

I have to go back and look at their schedule, but if they are wrestling North Central head to head it could be a fairly even lineup. I am certainly just speculating because I know very little about these teams yet, but as far as rankings currently they are close. I believe the Hawks will run away with the team title at the end, but for right now this may be a close meet. Two other schools that will be in the mix would be King university and McKendree going by current rankings. Lock Haven seems to have a legit squad also.
I still don't even know if they all compete together for the nationals or not, still learning.

Wonder if Mineo and Willie’s timelines would have been silent if PSU would have been the first P5 school to host a women’s wrestling dual, had 8k+ fans in attendance (apparently a world record for women’s wrestling), and then dismantled the #5, 11, 13 teams in the country by a total combined score of 127-5 and going 29-1 in bouts.

My money says no.

Edit: @smalls103

Wish I had been there -- been looking forward to this season for two years. If they wrestle out east I can go.

As for which schools are next, a lot of women wrestle in California. Maybe USC or UCLA gets a team?

Last edited:
My understanding is that everyone on roster last year used a redshirt:

I don’t believe Mir’s future lies with wrestling so I would think she’s gonna graduate and then join the ufc, or at least start the Ufc process.

I could be misremembering but I think Mir wanted to enter mma initially (or at least considered it) but big papa told her get a good base in wrestling and head on over to Iowa City.

ASU,Stanford and PSU are the ones that come to my mind. Texas? ISU maybe if they could afford it (though it would be just another way to lose to Iowa). There might be schools that need title IX balance that don't have a place for rowing. Had not thought of the academies but that might make sense and would be cool.
I don’t know details on timing, but I spoke with someone over the weekend who told me this is going to happen at the AF Academy. I brought it up to the AD two years ago and got an unsatisfactory answer so I’m excited to hear there’s been progress.

I don’t believe Mir’s future lies with wrestling so I would think she’s gonna graduate and then join the ufc, or at least start the Ufc process.

I could be misremembering but I think Mir wanted to enter mma initially (or at least considered it) but big papa told her get a good base in wrestling and head on over to Iowa City.

Most likely the direction she is headed. She has had some extremely positive comments on her time at Iowa and having teammates versus MMA where it is all against all.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT