ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have Hulu Live? Thoughts?

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
Comcast/Xfinity has pissed me off. Looking st getting rid of the TV package.

If you have Hulu Live, do you think it's worth the $65/mo?

It includes the major networks but is it the local networks? Will I get the DC network channels, or some other locality's local news?

I already have Netflix, Prime, and Disney+.

Thanks!

It includes the major networks but is it the local networks? Will I get the DC network channels, or some other locality's local news?

Thanks!

I like YouTube TV better. Pretty much the same price as Hulu, but you have as much recording space as you want and can fast forward through commercials.

We had directv for a decade. We hate change but pulled the plug and we are now loyal YouTubetv. Love it.

Thanks!
they kept raising the damn price. I got a package with spectrum for one year, cancel whenever, for tv and internet for $90 a month, so I’m on that for now. Before it was Hulu Live and Internet for 65.99 and 69.99 respectively. Hulu was great but raised the price a couple times.
they kept raising the damn price. I got a package with spectrum for one year, cancel whenever, for tv and internet for $90 a month, so I’m on that for now. Before it was Hulu Live and Internet for 65.99 and 69.99 respectively. Hulu was great but raised the price a couple times.

I have cable and never use it for anything anymore. Maybe local news if there’s storms

I only have it though because it’s basically free with my internet (U-verse)

with regards to YouTube Tv/ Hulu Live- what do you watch “live” anymore (besides sports)?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
All I know is that our directv bill was in the mid 200s. I just got sick of it and said no more. YouTubetv is 1/3 to 1/4 the price and a better product.

We left DirecTv when this topic came up again about 3? years ago. Picked up Hulu+ and have no complaints. Get local channels. Get ACC networks (which is important for FSU stuff not broadcast in CO). Don't really record much as it is mostly accessible view streaming vs live. Haven't missed DirecTv at all and wish that stupid dish would disappear from my roof. Oh, and snowstorms knocked out DirecTv a couple times, to date, not with streaming. And much less money.

Last edited:
I just picked up FuboTV. The DVR is kind of crappy in the way hulu's is, it doesn't have the original programming that hulu or YouTubeTV has, but the interface is better and the channel selection is superior. But all three are better than any company that requires you to rent an overpriced cable box that diminishes the value of your $3000 4k TV by making most of the features they have not work and not allowing 4k TV without paying a surcharge.

You do have to have good internet though. Anything less than 100 mb/sec will make it really hard to run more than one TV at a time at 4k.

We have had Hulu for 2 years. No issues. Planning on comparing to YouTubeTV once we are through “The Handmaid’s Tale” season 4.

I had Hulu + Live for about 8 months. Got rid of it in March and went back to Directv. "Live" sports is always 10 minutes behind and constantly buffered and restarted from the beginning. I missed a lot of Hawkeye hoops this winter. I had no issues with any other apps freezing but Hulu always did. I will say though the Hulu library was awesome.

I have Hulu bundled with Disney. I like it better than YouTube because of all the streaming content on same platform. The menu is a bit wonkish to navigate is only complaint.

Youtube tv is the better of the streaming options, but they've all gotten too expensive to be what made them popular to begin with. I really wish they offered some cheaper alternatives still. I've cancelled them all.

With that said, as to channels, that depends on what market you live in. If it's a major market you should be able to get your channels.

Youtube tv is the better of the streaming options, but they've all gotten too expensive to be what made them popular to begin with. I really wish they offered some cheaper alternatives still. I've cancelled them all.

With that said, as to channels, that depends on what market you live in. If it's a major market you should be able to get your channels.
I suppose cost depends on your set up. Over 10+ years, we amassed 4 DVRs, had the whole home network, and a few other receivers. I think we had 7. What we were charged on a monthly basis just for the equipment was ridiculous. Now, so long as you have a smart tv/roku/firestick/whatever, you can have 6 devices. Only 3 can streaming at the same time, but that is never an issue in our house. Now, if you only have one or two TVs, the costs might be becoming closer as the streaming service increase their prices.

I suppose cost depends on your set up. Over 10+ years, we amassed 4 DVRs, had the whole home network, and a few other receivers. I think we had 7. What we were charged on a monthly basis just for the equipment was ridiculous. Now, so long as you have a smart tv/roku/firestick/whatever, you can have 6 devices. Only 3 can streaming at the same time, but that is never an issue in our house. Now, if you only have one or two TVs, the costs might be becoming closer as the streaming service increase their prices.
That's part of what I'm trying to calculate. We have three TVs - one in the living room, one in the basement, and one in the kid's room. Really the one in the living room is the only one that gets watched with any regularity. When the kid goes off to college halfway across the country, I'd like to have an option that she can watch from there.

So I'd get rid of the rental for 2 cable boxes @ $7.50/mo/ea.

All this because they pissed me off by moving Cartoon Network to a higher tier, so I can't veg out in the evening's watching Rick & Morty, Family Guy, etc.

That's part of what I'm trying to calculate. We have three TVs - one in the living room, one in the basement, and one in the kid's room. Really the one in the living room is the only one that gets watched with any regularity. When the kid goes off to college halfway across the country, I'd like to have an option that she can watch from there.

All this because they pissed me off by moving Cartoon Network to a higher tier, so I can't veg out in the evening's watching Rick & Morty, Family Guy, etc.
My advice is to give YTTV a try without cancelling directv. They give you a week free trial. Kick the tires and see if it works for you. Probably the biggest irritation is that there are no channel numbers, just channels. The good news is that you can go online and rearrange how the channels come up. So if you only really ever watch 10 channels, you can put them on the top of the menu.

I had Hulu Live TV for a good while. I tried them all at one time or another. Youtube TV was the most functional, but Hulu Live was my favorite. I like a good bit of the original content on Hulu for one thing, and the Hulu On-Demand library is gargantuan when you have Live TV with them, way bigger than Youtube TV or even just regular Hulu, and easier to access. I'm much more of an in-demand person than a live TV/DVR person, so that was a big advantage. Plus you could pay like $5/mo more, and most of (but not all) the On-Demand programming were commercial free.

The issue is, none of them is worth the current price to me for Live TV. $40-45 was the sweet spot for me. At the prices they're up to now, if I needed live TV I'd go back to dish or cable and go back to playing the threaten to cancel game again. But I never have more than 1-2 TVs, I know it's a bigger deal for people with like 6 TVs.

I would also add that dropping YTTV or Hulu is just going online and canceling. You don't have to go through the rigmarole of calling and going through a retention service. They just send you a message saying thanks for giving them a try hope to see you again.

This. YouTubeTV DVR function is superior to all the others.
I agree with the caveat that recordings only last 9 months. So if you like to record Iowa football games and go back and watch them, they are gone (although they likely exist in some other place like youtube or espn+).

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
I watch a few shows live like Hell's Kitchen, Jeopardy, local news sometimes, etc. Not a lot though.
Just for an experiment, I suggest cutting the cord and not signing up for anything for as long as you can stand it. If you aren't having serious withdrawal after a week or 2, you'll be in a better position to decide what you need.

If you didn't find the experiment too difficult, then I suggest you try filling the holes with free channels/apps that you can add to your Roku or Fire TV or whatever gizmo you use. If you don't have one of those, that might be your next purchase.

Personally, I have both the Roku and the Cube (Fire TV). Both are fine. You have more free channel selections with the Roku, but the Amazon streamers have been catching up.

The main thing I missed was news. But on the Roku (and to a lesser extent the Fire TV) you can watch news channels that are much better than standard cable fare. I now watch a variety of foreign news channels (all in English) including Sky News (UK), DW (German), France24 (French), and Al Jazeera.

I have Sky News on as I write. Good coverage of the Ukraine rumblings at the moment.

There are also US news sources, including local news.

One nice thing about foreign news is you rarely get food fights - unless you are a fan of RT.

I should have mentioned this first.

Have Comcast switch you to their Basic TV package. For me, it's actually a couple bucks cheaper to keep that bundled with internet than getting internet alone.

Then - and this is the good part - load the Xfinity channel on your Roku or Fire TV. That will not only let you watch the basic local channels without an antenna (plus a few other things like C-SPAN), but it also gives you limited DVR functions.

Sure, you're only getting a few channels, but I mainly watch PBS, and it works great for watching (and recording) that.

Having cut the cord several years ago, the only thing I miss is sports.

When basketball season rolls around, I sign up for Sling. All the sports channels I need for much less than YouTube TV or Hulu Live. But lots fewer other channels than those services.

When basketball season ends, I cancel Sling.

IF/when the Olympics are actually held, I'll probably sign up for a month of true cable. During the last Olympics I experimented with other services, but real cable did a better job. More expensive but worth it if you are an Olympics junkie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT