ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here have health insurance that isn't through an employer?

jasonrann

HR Legend
Apr 11, 2007
The wife (no pic) and I work at the same company. We already pay a ton for our portion (and 100% of our daughter) of coverage. I'm working on our renewal for the company and the increase is going to be HUGE. Have any of you had luck going it on your own? We are all healthy and other than physicals and one sick visit for our daughter, we've had no claims over the past two years. I just can't see paying another $4k/year on top of what we're paying now for three high deductibles.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you pay now, but "another $4k per year"?

I doubt it will be that little. Expect about $2000/month family coverage through the Health Care exchange. Brutal.

Not sure what you pay now, but "another $4k per year"?

I doubt it will be that little. Expect about $2000/month family coverage through the Health Care exchange. Brutal.

We pay about $8,000/year for our portions (50%) and pay 100% of our daughters. We would go up to about $12k and all three of us have $3,000 deductibles.

We pay about $8,000/year for our portions (50%) and pay 100% of our daughters. We would go up to about $12k and all three of us have $3,000 deductibles.

most likely thats still less than through an exchange. you can shop your states exchange and check prices, also the exchange plans arent accepted by many DRs.

You could look at a christian healthcare ministries, or similar entity. Generally a group sharing entity, would be much cheaper while also having some assistance if medical care was needed.

Is their anyone in the KC area doing direct primary care? Or a co-op? DPC basically involves you pay a fee each month but get full access to your doctor. And they often have cheap negotiated rates for common drugs, labs, imaging. The downside is they still recommend private insurance in case you need hospitalized.

Reactions: jasonrann
Is their anyone in the KC area doing direct primary care? Or a co-op? DPC basically involves you pay a fee each month but get full access to your doctor. And they often have cheap negotiated rates for common drugs, labs, imaging. The downside is they still recommend private insurance in case you need hospitalized.

I do this for myself, yes. I pay $70/month and I can call or text my doctor 24/7 with questions about anything. If I break my arm and they can fix it, it's covered 100%. I pay about $20 for labs for my physical, but that's it. And yes, they do still recommend private insurance as they don't deal with it anymore. Also, if I need to get in to see him, I get in that day. There is none of this waiting two weeks for an appointment.

Reactions: thewop
You could look at a christian healthcare ministries, or similar entity. Generally a group sharing entity, would be much cheaper while also having some assistance if medical care was needed.

I don't get these plans. Is there a commitment to pay?

I am not involved but many of my clients are and swear by it. They can get vouchers for discounted services. For joining they pay either an annual fee or a monthly fee. and then when people need help paying a bill, it get sent out and those that can assist help pay is my understanding. One individual was paying $20,000 and essentially is only paying $2,400 for the year.

My wife is insured through Obamacare; $13,000 a year for an $8,000 deductible (almost no choice in Iowa). Thank God she turns 65 in January.

The wife (no pic) and I work at the same company. We already pay a ton for our portion (and 100% of our daughter) of coverage. I'm working on our renewal for the company and the increase is going to be HUGE. Have any of you had luck going it on your own? We are all healthy and other than physicals and one sick visit for our daughter, we've had no claims over the past two years. I just can't see paying another $4k/year on top of what we're paying now for three high deductibles.

Thanks in advance.
$4k/year is a steal for for your family, go through your employer.

Edit: since your doing the co-op, you might be able to supplement with a non-ACA catastrophic plan for less. These carry no penalty anymore if you can find one.

Last edited:
Same thing is happening with my wife’s insurance, so she and the kids are going back on mine. Highest increase she’s seen since she went on it 4 years ago. Thanks, Trump!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT