ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone listening to SCOTUS oral arguments this morning....

Agree and again I want a better life for them.

But I will also point out to you that at least they have a life. There are a lot of poor people in this country and a lot of even poorer people in other countries. "I Wish my parents had aborted me" is not a common statement among them.
Do you agree with me that life for the lower class will, on average, be worse from the Roe fallout?

I interpreted your statement exactly as you wrote it.

If you don’t mean something don’t say it. You do have a history of language butchering and word salad tossing. And casual misogyny.

Yeah you are likely on the spectrum.

Do you agree with me that life for the lower class will, on average, be worse from the Roe fallout?

With no other changes. Yes I agree. At least among those who have unplanned children.

But again my calculation is that while improving the lives of the lower class is a worthwhile goal, killing people is not an acceptable solution to the problem.

I mean we could improve the lives half of the lower class by killing the other half of them. But that's not a solution it's a human rights abuse.

The solution to the problem is for our political leaders to step up, increase taxes and provide at least the lower class with universal health care, free or reduced price higher education or vocational training, free or reduced price child care, financially and legally encourage marriage and financially and legally discourage divorce except when absolutely necessary to protect the safety of a person.

Reactions: goldmom
Why are you even talking about universal coverage? We will not have universal coverage come June when Roe is killed. 22 states, including Iowa, will ban all abortions by next Christmas. Rs will have zero provisions in place to help these women forced into motherhood, will have zero provisions to help the children being born, or to help the families forced to deal with these government forced births.

This ruling will force more into poverty and result in a lower standard of living for those at the bottom.
They can always provide free birth control to prevent the necessity of abortions, can’t they?

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
With no other changes. Yes I agree.

But again my calculation is that while improving the lives of the lower class is a worthwhile goal, killing people is not an acceptable solution to the problem.

I mean we could improve the lives half of the lower class by killing half of them. But that's not a solution it's a human rights abuse.
There will be no changes, Hoosier. You are a smart man. You know this will be the case.

This ruling will only drag the poor class under. Suicide rates, incarceration rates, murder rates, drug usage rates, poverty rates will all climb from here on out. Unemployment will go up, malnourishment among children will rise, less access to healthcare will take place, and educational opportunities will diminish.

I just don't see the cause for celebration.

Not being sexist at all. There have been instances when women didn't realize they were pregnant until they had a child.
How is this even possible? Didn't the baby move inside of them? Do these women normally go 9 months without a cycle? Never once questioned the weight gain or changes in their bodies?

They can always provide free birth control to prevent the necessity of abortions, can’t they?

On his side slightly on this. Do you really think that the R's would provide cost free contraceptives.

Even if we just limit it to adults. Do you think the R's would vote for cost free contraceptives for adults?

Because my experience with the R's is that they wouldn't even put in this ounce of prevention. Some of the extremely conservative religious people would find that upsetting and I know the people who are mad when a dime of their tax money goes to helping someone who doesn't have 1% of what they have will be pissed.

It's not directly comparable I'm pointing out that not every precedent is a good one.

As to why it's good, it's because the child as a right to life that overwrites everyone else's rights.

Right to life > bodily autonomy > freedom of religion > property rights
So when does life start? Are you prepared to deal with the monumental and seismic shifts in our society if it is decided that life begins at conception?

On his side slightly on this. Do you really think that the R's would provide cost free contraceptives.

Even if we just limit it to adults. Do you think the R's would vote for cost free contraceptives for adults?

Because my experience with the R's is that they wouldn't even put in this ounce of prevention. Some of the extremely conservative religious people would find that upsetting and I know the people who are mad when a dime of their tax money goes to helping someone who doesn't have 1% of what they have will be pissed.
It's already available through Planned Parenthood.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
How is this even possible? Didn't the baby move inside of them? Do these women normally go 9 months without a cycle? Never once questioned the weight gain or changes in their bodies?

It's rare for a woman to go that long without knowing she's pregnant. But some women have periods through their pregnancies, experience few side effects, and gain very little weight.

I mean all the stars have to align right and align in a person who generally can't put 2 and 2 together on the symptoms they do have. But it happens.

Politically or religiously

Religiously I would tend towards yes

Politically I would say no.

Politically as I have maintained several times my view is that the beginning of life is the first flicker of brain function. Frozen embroyos don't have that.
So would you grant all the rights of a living person to a five week old embryo?

Nope. They won’t do that, either. Been tried many places...and taken to court. Pro-lifers seem to oppose the act of sex even more than abortion. Anyone and I mean anyone, who honestly believes “abstinence” is the solution to unwanted pregnancy is a fool. I remember what is was like to be a 18 year old with a raging hard-on with a girl with no clothes on....there was no room for abstinence!

So when does life start? Are you prepared to deal with the monumental and seismic shifts in our society if it is decided that life begins at conception?

I think the law should reflect life beginning at the same point it ends. Brain function. When you have a flicker of brain function it begins. It ends when a person is either brain dead or their body is no longer in a condition to support the continued life of that brain.

My thought is the Congress could draw a line on the Supreme Court’s jurisdiction, and then pass a law.

I don’t think majorities would exist to try it though.

But imagine the court came out with a decision that society abhorred (e.g. invent a right to adult-child sexual relationships), I could see Congress passing a restriction on the court reviewing such laws, and even passing a federal law on it.

I think it would take something with overwhelming support to make happen.
Interesting Constitutional issue. I would would suspect that any law that restricts the Supreme Court's appellate jurisdiction to non-Constitutional issues (i.e., federal tax or maritime cases) would be overturned with a citation to Marbury v. Madison. But then the Supreme Court has no power of enforcement.

So would you grant all the rights of a living person to a five week old embryo?

6 weeks. But yes for the most part.

I mean it is a little different in that the child can be both innocent and be causing the death of the mother in rare cases.

But I generally would go for don't take a life unless to protect life.

I think the law should reflect life beginning at the same point it ends. Brain function. When you have a flicker of brain function it begins. It ends when a person is either brain dead or their body is no longer in a condition to support the continued life of that brain.
Why are you hedging your bet? If your basis for overturning Roe is a religious one, life begins at conception and anything that aborts that life should be outlawed.

Why are you hedging your bet? If your basis for overturning Roe is a religious one, life begins at conception and anything that aborts that life should be outlawed.

I've never said my basis for overturning Roe is a religious one. My basis for overturning Roe is a conviction to the logic that life should be understood to have started by the same logic we understand life to have ended.

My faith tells me conception. Science tells me 6 weeks gestation.

6 weeks. But yes for the most part.

I mean it is a little different in that the child can be both innocent and be causing the death of the mother in rare cases.

But I generally would go for don't take a life unless to protect life.

Tax law.
Citizenship.
Age for the purposes of voting
Birth control
Theres a hundred laws that would be fundamentally shaken

I've never said my basis for overturning Roe is a religious one. My basis for overturning Roe is a conviction to the logic that life should be understood to have started by the same logic we understand life to have ended.

My faith tells me conception. Science tells me 6 weeks gestation.

How do you prove brain death in a fetus? Does the father get to sue for a mother to risk her life carrying a non-viable baby to term on the off chance there may be some level of brain activity?

Do those arguing for the right of this court overturning roe admit the right of the next court to overturn this decision?

Tax law.
Citizenship.
Age for the purposes of voting
Birth control
Theres a hundred laws that would be fundamentally shaken

Not really. . . birth can still be used for all of those things on the simple basis that it's a quality external marker that all can see.

We can record when most births happen. . . very few births happen with no witnesses other than the mother and the father.

Conception only has the mother and father to witness it and even they wont' know exactly when it occurred in the body and if they are having sex often enough they would not know when the intercourse that led to conception occurred and brain function beginning likely has no witnesses as to when this occurs. Birth is something that can be seen by everyone to establish things like age and citizenship.

Doesn't help me sleep at night either way. Just basing it off the evidence I've seen.

No one else was so concerned that I said SCOTUS vs. Roe.

I guess everyone else is more accepting of your mistakes.

I do find it interesting that you feel the need to label me as somehow deficient because of it...

Nope. They won’t do that, either. Been tried many places...and taken to court. Pro-lifers seem to oppose the act of sex even more than abortion. Anyone and I mean anyone, who honestly believes “abstinence” is the solution to unwanted pregnancy is a fool. I remember what is was like to be a 18 year old with a raging hard-on with a girl with no clothes on....there was no room for abstinence!
Birth control has been available in this country for what...70-80 years? Vending machines in a men's room?
Abstinence forever, but completely unrealistic.
So you’re saying you didn’t do any sort of attempt at birth control? Not even “pull out and pray”??
Note: FTR, we were ALL 18 once. 😉

How do you prove brain death in a fetus? Does the father get to sue for a mother to risk her life carrying a non-viable baby to term on the off chance there may be some level of brain activity?

Medical science can tell if an unborn infant is alive or dead. They can detect the brain waves. . . they can detect the heartbeat. It's not like these things are an uncertainty to a properly trained doctor with the right equipment.

It's just as easy or a doctor to tell that as it is to tell death in a born person.

• Haha
They could, but they won’t. Zero push by conservatives on this. Heck, you still see a disturbing number push for abstinence as the only contraceptive.
It's already available through Planned Parenthood.
And conservatives continually push to defund this as well.
Not really. . . birth can still be used for all of those things on the simple basis that it's a quality external marker that all can see.

We can record when most births happen. . . very few births happen with no witnesses other than the mother and the father.

Conception only has the mother and father to witness it and even they wont' know exactly when it occurred in the body and if they are having sex often enough they would not know when the intercourse that led to conception occurred and brain function beginning likely has no witnesses as to when this occurs. Birth is something that can be seen by everyone to establish things like age and citizenship.

I question how legally, in all other ways, an individual’s rights begin at birth, but not for abortions, would stand up.

The answer to that is no, of course not. I'm waiting for someone to use the Texas abortion law to hunt down women who accidently drink alcohol during the early stages of her pregnancy looking for lawsuit money. Imagine Jenny at the work party tying one on and then she starts to show a pregnancy five months later. When you work backward and do the math someone will realize she was pregnant while drinking. Time to charge mother with child endangerment. Don't forget to sue her bar tender as a private citizen of Texas for her attempt to abort her child.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT