ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone with outdoor patio TVs

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
Hi all!

My new place has a bracket out on the patio for mounting a TV under the pergola. I want to put a TV out there, but I haven't had a TV outdoors before.

Do you use a specific "outdoor" TV, or do you use a regular TV and maybe put a cover on it when it's not in use?

Best Buy has "outdoor" TVs, but a) they're not brands I've ever heard of, and b) they're surprisingly expensive compared to regular TVs - like 3x as much. But, I guess if the outdoor TVs are made specifically to resist rain/weather damage and they're sealed up somehow, and the regular TVs would crap in a couple of weeks, then the price difference might be worth it. Still, I'm surprised that there aren't Sony, Samsung, LG, etc outdoor TVs listed on Best Buy's website.

Thanks in advance, and for your trouble...

images

wT2QgrLbeI_ZhwuajL14J8XMn5VO1e6k_V1Tw_tANNyMxkX7PI6soF3yGme9Fpwwpz8SbAjz-uoQpr8bWrH_n2sgzsCUHRwNgWdudBSX9gtyrPI6EMOpvb7z9jc5YYxaQFbKqqxgghje_QYGcWGkXNEN9SrY

IMG_8222v2.jpg

shirtless-man-jeans-watching-movie-260nw-1716341959.jpg

Man-Watches-TV-Photo-by-Shooting-the-Star-Studio-Shutterstock-1200x722.jpg

Many people I know with TVs outdoors have a regular TV but don’t leave it outside all the time.

However, I’m in the Midwest so the outdoor TV viewing window isn’t year round.

Hi all!

My new place has a bracket out on the patio for mounting a TV under the pergola. I want to put a TV out there, but I haven't had a TV outdoors before.

Do you use a specific "outdoor" TV, or do you use a regular TV and maybe put a cover on it when it's not in use?

Best Buy has "outdoor" TVs, but a) they're not brands I've ever heard of, and b) they're surprisingly expensive compared to regular TVs - like 3x as much. But, I guess if the outdoor TVs are made specifically to resist rain/weather damage and they're sealed up somehow, and the regular TVs would crap in a couple of weeks, then the price difference might be worth it. Still, I'm surprised that there aren't Sony, Samsung, LG, etc outdoor TVs listed on Best Buy's website.

images

wT2QgrLbeI_ZhwuajL14J8XMn5VO1e6k_V1Tw_tANNyMxkX7PI6soF3yGme9Fpwwpz8SbAjz-uoQpr8bWrH_n2sgzsCUHRwNgWdudBSX9gtyrPI6EMOpvb7z9jc5YYxaQFbKqqxgghje_QYGcWGkXNEN9SrY

IMG_8222v2.jpg

Would it be sheltered from the rain? I have a friend with a pretty sweet patio underneath their deck, and it is waterproof under the deck. He just has a regular TV and leaves it out there year around, I believe. His thought is that TVs are not that expensive these days, and if one goes bad he can just get another one for cheaper than what it costs to have an all weather one.

I don't have an outdoor TV, but I have spent a fair amount of time at bars with outdoor patios, beer gardens and have friends that have had them.

My impression is that the best move is to just use a regular TV and cover it - or store inside during the winter- depending on your climate. Sure, you may end up replacing it quicker than a designed for the elements TV, they also cost considerably less and from my impression look a lot better too.

We have a TV outside under a screened in deck. 8 months of the year it is out there mounted above the fireplace. We put a cover on it when not using, or inclement weather coming in. It isn’t exposed to sunlight or rain. I bought a decent 60” from Best Buy that had good rating for a good screen when lots of daylight. Has worked well so far.

The outdoor TVs were 3x the cost, and the quality and look didn’t seem that great for the price.

I don't have an outdoor TV, but I have spent a fair amount of time at bars with outdoor patios, beer gardens and have friends that have had them.

My impression is that the best move is to just use a regular TV and cover it - or store inside during the winter- depending on your climate. Sure, you may end up replacing it quicker than a designed for the elements TV, they also cost considerably less and from my impression look a lot better too.
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I have had a couple outdoors but under a completely covered patio/veranda. So it’s not getting rained on directly but is exposed to cold, heat and mist/fog/damp. Regular tvs in that scenario seem to last about two years which I’m ok with. On the other hand if it will get exposed to water directly you need an outdoor tv.

Would it be sheltered from the rain? I have a friend with a pretty sweet patio underneath their deck, and it is waterproof under the deck. He just has a regular TV and leaves it out there year around, I believe. His thought is that TVs are not that expensive these days, and if one goes bad he can just get another one for cheaper than what it costs to have an all weather one.
From a normal light rain, yeah. But from a heavy, windy thunderstorm, no.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I have had a couple outdoors but under a completely covered patio/veranda. So it’s not getting rained on directly but is exposed to cold, heat and mist/fog/damp. Regular tvs in that scenario seem to last about two years which I’m ok with. On the other hand if it will get exposed to water directly you need an outdoor tv.

Getting an indoor TV and a cover might be the way to go. I can get a name brand 4k smart 50" tv for $300 and a weatherproof cover for <$50. If I take it indoors during the off-season that should lengthen it's lifespan (hopefully).

20ish years ago, when we put the pool in, I had the guy who was wiring for the pool add an outlet & run cable through the attic to a spot outside. It's fully covered, though (the original roofline had the small screen porch included under the roof).

I was told back then that I should spend the extra money on an outdoor tv. When I saw the price of them, I laughed & just got a regular tv - figured I could replace it annually for a loooooot of years for the price difference. I think I'm on my 3rd tv out there, but none have died. At some point I replaced the old one for a flatscreen, then a couple of years ago I won a big screen smart tv in a raffle, so hung it out there.

If it's going to be out in the weather, you'd probably need to get one built for that. If it's under a solid roof, I wouldn't waste the extra money.

Getting an indoor TV and a cover might be the way to go. I can get a name brand 4k smart 50" tv for $300 and a weatherproof cover for <$50. If I take it indoors during the off-season that should lengthen it's lifespan (hopefully).

I’ve done this for three years and still haven’t needed to replace the TV. Similar situation to how you’ve described, light rain would not hit it thanks to being set back from the roof line - but thunderstorms with wind and it would get wet. I bought a $40 vinyl cover from Amazon that’s over it when I’m not watching. I even leave it out all winter. Probably shouldn’t, but it’s been fine.

Way I see it, if it breaks down after a few years - who cares. You can get huge TVs for under $500. The “outdoor” tv’s are ridiculous.

Is the patio easily accessible from a living area? If so, I would consider getting a regular tv, and putting it on a stand with rollers. You can wheel the tv out when you want it out there, and use it indoors when you want an overflow tv when there are multiple games on. Something like this:

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Is the patio easily accessible from a living area? If so, I would consider getting a regular tv, and putting it on a stand with rollers. You can wheel the tv out when you want it out there, and use it indoors when you want an overflow tv when there are multiple games on. Something like this:

That's not bad. The door is right off the living room. I've got a coat closet that's big enough where I could roll it in there.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Just get a normal tv. As long as your mount isn't a pain to take down just do that. TVs arent terribly heavy anymore. Ex father in law had a 47" outside and if bad weather was coming in me or him could get it down and back up in about 30 seconds. Obviously winter months it was stored

That's not bad. The door is right off the living room. I've got a coat closet that's big enough where I could roll it in there.
i have something similar in our 4 seasons room that I move into the family room when there are multiple games on. Works great for me.

I needed a new one so I actually just bought something almost exactly like I linked. My current one doesn't have rollers, we would just pick it up and move it. Rollers are better.

This is the route we went. Only notable or consideration not mentioned is OP needs to look where the sun travels. indoor TVs will be hard to watch in bright day light without consideration.

We put one out by the hot tub and it was great. Old retired tv from in the house, and it was fine for 2 years under the soffit with an Amazon heavy duty cover. Also, bring the remote inside, really cold will kill the batteries and rust sets in fast from ambient humidity. This was in CO, not a lot of rain.

I might consider building a box if I end up putting in a pergola here as it rains. A lot.

Last edited:
I have a covered patio and leave my regular TV out 24/7. I do have a covered to use if a hurricane is on the way.

I'm on my third TV in 12 years. Only once did one go bad. The other one I replaced was just an upgrade, bigger and better.

I’ve done this for three years and still haven’t needed to replace the TV. Similar situation to how you’ve described, light rain would not hit it thanks to being set back from the roof line - but thunderstorms with wind and it would get wet. I bought a $40 vinyl cover from Amazon that’s over it when I’m not watching. I even leave it out all winter. Probably shouldn’t, but it’s been fine.

Way I see it, if it breaks down after a few years - who cares. You can get huge TVs for under $500. The “outdoor” tv’s are ridiculous.
I've done mine for 8 plus years. 1080p 60" TV and never an issue. Our patio is under our deck with a drainage system to keep us from getting any direct rain - we're out there rain or shine. The TV, even that old, isn't all that heavy. We took it for tailgating as well, hooked it up to satellite and mounted it on the side of the RV.

No reason for an outdoor TV unless it will be directly in the elements, imo.

This is the route we went. Only notable or consideration not mentioned is OP needs to look where the sun travels. indoor TVs will be hard to watch in bright day light without consideration.

We put one out by the hot tub and it was great. Old retired tv from in the house, and it was fine for 2 years under the soffit with an Amazon heavy duty cover. Also, bring the remote inside, really cold will kill the batteries and rust sets in fast from ambient humidity. This was in CO, not a lot of rain.

I might consider building a box if I end up putting in a pergola here as it rains. A lot.
The TV would face south, so the pergola would block the sun most of the day, and it won't shine directly at the screen.

Reactions: funksouljon
This one looks like the winner to me. Weatherized to handle snow and rain plus negative to 104 degrees, all with built in Roku, an antiglare screen and modestly priced at $899. There are cheaper and better 55” tvs out there but not with all weather capability.

This one looks like the winner to me. Weatherized to handle snow and rain plus negative to 104 degrees, all with built in Roku, an antiglare screen and modestly priced at $899. There are cheaper and better 55” tvs out there but not with all weather capability.

You're paying $500 for those features. It's $400 more than a 70" TV of the same brand.

Worst part is that 104 isn't high enough here. It'll get to 110+ at least once during the summer.

I like that it's not $2,500 for a weird-brand TV.

“Outdoor tvs” are for suckers. Get a regular tv bro, it‘ll be fine.

Outdoor ones will actually have internal boards/electronics rated for the temperature swings the TV will encounter. PCBs are made with really tight tolerances, and they use as little material for conductors as they can get away with. Thermal cycling you'll see outdoors can stress those connections to where one fails, and your TV becomes an anchor.

Ones rated for "outdoor" will use thicker traces on the PCBs that will allow for more thermal cycles before they might break (and those TVs will have actually been tested under those conditions). That's aside from the weatherproofing (water ingress ratings) they do.

BUT, you pay a premium for them.

So, really another (possibly better) option is to just look at the "operation temperature" specs for various brands, and choose one that has the widest range, relevant to where you'll use it. I'm seeing 55F to 104F for Samsung and 32F to 104F for LG models with a quick Google search.

It won't last as long as one formally rated for outdoor, but as others have noted, might not be worth the price bump if you can buy 2 or 3 (or more) of those models for what a single "outdoor rated" one would cost you. Also, "replacement" prices for a comparable TV model will almost always be cheaper over time.

I have a Sunbrite outdoor TV. It's made to be brighter in direct sun and weather resistant. Love that thing. Bit expensive but so worth it. Got a soubdbar for it that attaches under it.

Hi all!

images

IMG_8222v2.jpg

I’ve had one for 6-7 years and have just done a regular TV. That said, I’m in Charlotte with less temperature swing than in Iowa. Reasons are 2-fold: 1) “Outdoor” TVs are more expensive and 2) Solid LCDs are so cheap that I’d probaby have to be 2-4 TVs in before an “outdoor” was worth it. That may not apply in a world where temps hit -10, though.

We use an indoor TV out by the pool, just cover it and bring it in during the winter. Never had any problems. My sister lives in Arizona and bought an outdoor tv once for 3x the money. Said it was no different then the indoor tv's they had used up to that point and thought it was a waste of money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT