ADVERTISEMENT

Apple acquiring streaming rights

Here is what The Athletic printed today.

The Big Ten is also likely to add some sort of streaming option, a source told The Athletic, though it is not yet clear how it will be structured and whether or not Amazon or Apple will be involved. Both companies have significantly increased their investment in live sports programming in the past year. Another streaming candidate under consideration is Peacock, which is already part of NBC’s offerings, a different source said. That would make sense if NBC lands a Big Ten package as it is now expected to do so.

Reactions: David1979
Better be free or that's a really stupid move
ah-oh.gif

I think I'll trust the business acumen of the individuals making this choice over yours.
Agree, lol. If this is true it just means Apple is paying the B1G what the B1G wants. If $4.99/month subscription is too much and it doesn't pay off for Apple in the end in terms of viewership, it's Apple's problem, not the B1G's problem.

The Apple TV streams for MLB are very high quality. Not talking about announcing which I can’t comment on, only video quality. Would be good if they brought that same level of tech to the Big Ten.

The Apple TV streams for MLB are very high quality. Not talking about announcing which I can’t comment on, only video quality. Would be good if they brought that same level of tech to the Big Ten.
I disagree. The one I watched, granted it was early season, the quality was horrible. Cutting out all the time and a lot of pixelation. But maybe it got better. It was just me either, a lot of online chatter about it. The announcers were god awful as well, and I'm not one to give a shit about announcers, they have to be beyond bad for me to notice. I was able to watch it without a subscription though, I hope that is the case for college football as well.

Reactions: kkhawk and Ree4
What stuff is great? Everything is incredibly overpriced, designed obsolescence, product name over quality, inferior components and hardware, poor compatibility. God forbid something breaks... I could go on and on. I'm not missing a damn thing.
Sounds like you will be missing streaming B10 games from the comfort of your own home…

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/ff/15/7B4FA68F-3F29-46F0-95E4-0922A0DA373D/Image-1.heic

What stuff is great? Everything is incredibly overpriced, designed obsolescence, product name over quality, inferior components and hardware, poor compatibility. God forbid something breaks... I could go on and on. I'm not missing a damn thing.
Ted Lasso, Trying, Loot, Physical, and Severance are series we’ve watched - all excellent… Severance was weird, and maybe a notch below.

I think all you Apple bashers are right. They are never going to make any money selling that crap. LOL.

Geez, it's only one of the greatest stories in the history of American business and they sell inferior products, rrriiiggghhhttt.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Less views would seem to equal less money the next time??
I do think that’s a consideration, although it’s going to apply more to the second-tier leagues than the BigTen. All of the BigTen’s best games will be on major networks and very few of our marquee matchups will be streaming. But I think conferences like the Pac12 are going to try to get creative with making up the revenue gap through things like giving more of their best games to streaming. I think some media companies might be willing to overpay to get their streaming networks off the ground. For example ESPN is trying to drive subscribers for ESPN+, then you obviously have Peacock, Paramount, etc too.

And to your point, viewership is terrible which in the long run could lead to less exposure for the league, which is something leagues like the Pac12 were struggling with to begin with and further drives the narrative that these conferences are lower quality, with all of the nock-on effects on recruiting and your potential in the next round of media rights negotiations a few years down the line.

Notre Dame had one of their games on Peacock last year and the viewership was terrible. Just like we’ve seen that even the worst games on major networks still get pretty good ratings and vice-versa even the best matchups on second-tier networks like FS1 don’t get good ratings.

Over time I do think it becomes almost self-reinforcing when your conference doesn’t get good exposure.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
I do think that’s a consideration, although it’s going to apply more to the second-tier leagues than the BigTen. All of the BigTen’s best games will be on major networks and very few of our marquee matchups will be streaming. But I think conferences like the Pac12 are going to try to get creative with making up the revenue gap through things like giving more of their best games to streaming. I think some media companies might be willing to overpay to get their streaming networks off the ground. For example ESPN is trying to drive subscribers for ESPN+, then you obviously have Peacock, Paramount, etc too.

And to your point, viewership is terrible which in the long run could lead to less exposure for the league, which is something leagues like the Pac12 were struggling with to begin with and further drives the narrative that these conferences are lower quality, with all of the nock-on effects on recruiting and your potential in the next round of media rights negotiations a few years down the line.

Notre Dame had one of their games on Peacock last year and the viewership was terrible. Just like we’ve seen that even the worst games on major networks still get pretty good ratings and vice-versa even the best matchups on second-tier networks like FS1 don’t get good ratings.

Over time I do think it becomes almost self-reinforcing when your conference doesn’t get good exposure.
Speaking of schools trying to get creative in finding ways to make up their revenue gap…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT