ADVERTISEMENT

Arcade trick from 80s?

I probably dumped enough quarters into this game to have retired by now:

images

Thanks, I should have said the front legs where the player stands, not the back legs. I will edit that.
They had tilt function though so you could couldnt slam pinball machine to move ball during play and some of them tilted pretty easy, if you were decent pretty easy to get free games with pinball by scoring high.

Reactions: BGHAWK
They are still around.being the good parenting after I am, I took my daughter this past Sunday. They charge by the hour these days.

Yestercade.

Westfield-4.jpg
I wonder if you took a larger magnet into there and rubbed it on the side of the game in a circular motion if you'd start seeing credits appear??? I do not recall who showed me this trick, but I was in maybe 4th grade and recall using it until 8th or 9th grade. I think by then the games were mostly gone from places because every kid had a nintendo at home.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I only knew one trick. On Galaga first screen. Don't kill the guy 2nd to left bottom ( IIRC ) when he is only one left you dodge him until he stops shooting ( can take 20-30 minutes ) once he stops kill him. then no guys will shoot at you rest of game.

I only knew one trick. On Galaga first screen. Don't kill the guy 2nd to left bottom ( IIRC ) when he is only one left you dodge him until he stops shooting ( can take 20-30 minutes ) once he stops kill him. then no guys will shoot at you rest of game.
Doesn't that take the fun out of it?

Second screen.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Not if you set it on your toes BEFORE you put your money in.

It wouldn't matter, the tilt mechanism is a pendulum which will touch a ring around it if the machine is slightly off level. I've neve tested it, but I think even half an inch would set it to a permanent tilt condition.

It wouldn't matter, the tilt mechanism is a pendulum which will touch a ring around it if the machine is slightly off level. I've neve tested it, but I think even half an inch would set it to a permanent tilt condition.
We had an old pinball machine at home when we were kids and yes, you are correct. It was a long pendulum that had a small ring around it 3/4 of the way down. Just shaking the machine too much would trigger a tilt.

Reactions: artradley
There are a few of those around me as well. They are the types of businesses you never know existed until you find out about them and then constantly hear about them all of the sudden. They are pretty popular here supposedly.
The local one here in Westfield is open until 2 am on the weekends. Supposedly you can bring your own booze if you are so inclined.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
There was a track and field game where you could take a pencil, put it between your fingers and hit just one side. To run, there were two buttons you had to hit, to make the players right and left les stride and run faster. The other end of the pencil would hit the other run button.
Spent lots of hours with friends playing track and field and nba jam
71749_0.jpg
We would rig a pencil between our fingers to where you hit one side, the pencil would bounce back and hit the other run button.

There was a track and field game where you could take a pencil, put it between your fingers and hit just one side. To run, there were two buttons you had to hit, to make the players right and left les stride and run faster. The other end of the pencil would hit the other run button.

We would rig a pencil between our fingers to where you hit one side, the pencil would bounce back and hit the other run button.
When that came out on super nes, the Nintendo max controller with the turbo button was gold medal city. Loved that game.

nesmaxctr001_p_yfzla7.jpg

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
I was pretty good at Galaga, but never knew that trick. I could finish that game on one quarter, but my shooting hand would cramp up after playing from hitting the shoot button so many times, like tens of thousands of times.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I was pretty good at Galaga, but never knew that trick. I could finish that game on one quarter, but my shooting hand would cramp up after playing from hitting the shoot button so many times, like tens of thousands of times.

There was/is no finishing Galaga

They had tilt function though so you could couldnt slam pinball machine to move ball during play and some of them tilted pretty easy, if you were decent pretty easy to get free games with pinball by scoring high.

Exactly. They did have tilt and that reminds me that when guys put the front legs up on their shoes, it was even more delicate to tilt. Risk vs reward I suppose.

Ahh...summer arcade days in the late 80s with friends. I seem to recall an acquaintance of mine sneezing violently and falling heavily and without control into the coin pusher machine at Gold Mine in Westdale Mall. The moments afterwards included a pathetic buzzer, the sound of coin destruction, an arcade staffer yelling "HEY!," epic laughter and a group of kids sprinting out of the arcade. We went and got Sbarro.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
It started over. To me, that’s the end. Am I remembering it wrong?

Yea...you are remembering wrong. It just kept going...faster and faster to the point that even if you used the cheat to not get shot at you still couldn't survive

It’s makes me feel damn old that people are explaining the tilt function on a pinball machine…

• Love
Reactions: The Tradition
Once my cousin and I found a game at a hotel arcade that had a broken door. You could open the door and trigger the coin switch as much as you wanted. But it soon became boring because you could have as many credits/lives as you wanted. In a way the games were more fun (exhilarating) because they cost money to play.

A quarter was a lot of money back then. It was sorta like gambling for little kids, except you could never win more money, just a mental high.

The first time we went there they were playing some 80s rock and found myself with a huge smile on my face. It time warped my brain back to 1985 at the OC mall in IC. Alladins Castle on one side, Center Amusements across the gap with the movie theater and Arby’s in the middle. It was heaven for this eleven year old.
Sounds like where I grew up in Wisconsin. If I had extra money, orange julius was a treat.

Reactions: hawkdave007
The first time we went there they were playing some 80s rock and found myself with a huge smile on my face. It time warped my brain back to 1985 at the OC mall in IC. Alladins Castle on one side, Center Amusements across the gap with the movie theater and Arby’s in the middle. It was heaven for this eleven year old.

Good times! I was going to school at the U of I in the mid 80s, and I spent a lot of time in those OCM arcades between classes. My game of choice was Excite Bike, and I could play for over an hour on a single quarter. One time I was having a really good game and turned around to find Brad Lohaus standing right behind me. He shook his head and said "Damn man, you're really good at that!". I know, CSB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT