ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark and the stories only those who’ve known her forever can tell

conn53victor

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2014
A good article from The Athletic about the best basketball player in America. It’s behind a paywall, so I include it in its entirety.
[URL='https://theathletic.com/4365942/2023/03/31/caitlin-clark-final-four-high-school/?access_token=4138191&redirected=1']Caitlin Clark and the stories only those who’ve known her forever can tell
[/URL]
Jim Calkins

Caitlin Clark and the stories only those who’ve known her forever can tell​

Grace Raynor
In the hours and days after Iowa punched its ticket to this week’s Final Four, Ella McVey opened up her various social media apps.
Her high school teammate and good friend, Caitlin Clark, was everywhere.
“The No. 1 thing everyone always asks me is, ‘Wow, I can’t believe she’s hitting all these shots.’ Or, ‘I can’t believe she pulled up from the logo,’” McVey said of March Madness’ basketball’s most exciting star. “And I’m just sitting back like, you know what? I’ve seen her do it … a million times.”
Clark has taken basketball by storm this season, which included dropping 41 points against Louisville in a historic performance in last week’s Elite Eight and winning Naismith Player of the Year honors on Wednesday. She’s the most exciting single player left in the tournament — and she’s changing the way the game is viewed.
But for those who know Clark well, no one is surprised at her heroics. As her legacy grows through the NCAA Tournament, so too do the stories about her prodigious days growing up in West Des Moines. Ahead of No. 2 Iowa’s highly-anticipated showdown with No. 1 South Carolina in Friday night’s Final Four from Dallas, The Athletic spoke to about a dozen people who know Clark best — those who have had the privilege of playing with her and the misfortune of trying to defend her.
“It doesn’t matter who you are,” McVey said. “If you’re guarding her, I’m sorry.”

The one-woman show​

Clark’s 41-point triple-double against Louisville in the Elite Eight last week was the first time anyone accomplished such a feat in the men’s or women’s NCAA Tournament.
But it was far from the first time Clark left an opposing defense with no answers.
As a junior at Dowling Catholic in West Des Moines, Iowa, she dropped 60 points in a 90-78 win at Mason City High School. She made a state-record 13 3-pointers, many of which were deep step-backs with a hand in her face. After the first quarter she had 24 points.
“It’s OK. I’ve come to grips with it,” Mason City coach Curt Klaahsen said, laughing. “It’s hard to believe this, but we felt like we were playing pretty good defense on her. She was just making things from everywhere and every angle.”
Klaahsen’s team played one of its very best offensive games with 78 points – which in any other circumstance would have been more than enough to win a high school basketball game. Defensively, he threw different looks at Clark, whether that meant rolling out a junk defense with one player on her with help nearby, or at times, putting two players on her.
“We were telling our kids to get out on her, and she’s shooting from four or five feet from beyond the arc. That’s unheard of,” Klaahsen said. “That stuff doesn’t happen in high school.”
Meanwhile, Clark’s teammates were in awe.
“The first quarter just kind of went by and I was like, yeah, we’re playing pretty well. Caitlin has a lot of points. This is going well,” said high school and grassroots teammate Grace Gaber, Dowling’s 3-point shooter alongside Clark.
“And I think second quarter, that’s when we realized she was hot.”
Still, Mason City went head-to-head with Clark and was led by guard Megan Meyer, who scored 27 points and played with Clark at Iowa for a season before transferring to Drake. Mason City, a strong team by all accounts, made the state tournament that year and lost in the semifinals.
Klaahsen has coached girls’ basketball for 35 years and is in the state’s IGCA Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame. He joked that he felt much better the following year when his team held Clark to 27 points. She’s the best player he has ever competed against.
“I’m in the girls’ coaches Hall of Fame and my claim to fame? I had a girl score 60 (on me),” he said, laughing. “When she scores 40, I can tell people, ‘Oh, Louisville only held her to 40 so maybe it wasn’t so bad what we were doing.’”

The Silencer​

Doubt Caitlin Clark at your own risk.
It wasn’t uncommon for fans of opposing teams to heckle Clark, as was the case her senior year when Dowling played at Southeast Polk. Earlier this month, a clip on social media resurfaced from that night, showing the Southeast Polk student section chanting “OVER-RATED” at the Maroons’ star.
Dowling Catholic ultimately lost 80-71. But not before Clark casually dropped 42 points against the backdrop of the jeers.
“She loved that. I kind of wanted to tell opposing crowds, ‘Shhh. You’re actually encouraging her by doing that,” Dowling Catholic coach Kristin Meyer said. “The bigger the crowd, the louder the crowd — she loves it.”
Eventually, opponents learned their lessons.
“Those things did stop because they knew: she could back it up,” said Dowling principal Matt Meendering. “One thing about Caitlin, everyone figured out, is you don’t give her something else to fire her up.”

The scout-team nightmare​

It wasn’t just game day when Clark rose to the occasion. When she wasn’t torching opposing defenders on Dowling’s schedule, she routinely made a habit of roasting Dowling’s all-male scout team in practice.
“I remember specifically I had to guard her,” said Andrew Lentsch, a sophomore tight end on Iowa’s football team and a year behind Clark at Dowling Catholic. “It was not a lot of fun because it was just all practice, you were never getting a break because you’re always worried about either her making a play or even getting embarrassed by her a couple times. I remember one of the first plays of the first practices, she hit a 3 from deep right in my face.”
Lentsch played on the scout team for only one year as a freshman, before he made the varsity team as a sophomore and was officially relieved of his Clark duties. But Clark’s scout team legacy lived on. McVey said several of her good friends were on the scout team and that when they’d all hang out together on weekends, the scout-team defenders were still talking about Clark from the week before — and how they couldn’t stop her.
So does Lentsch have any advice for South Carolina’s defense?
“Oh, geez,” he said. “Pray.”

The soccer player​

Russ Trimble is the mayor of Clark’s West Des Moines hometown and plans to honor her — perhaps a key to the city? — after Iowa’s season ends. Between Clark and Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson, West Des Moines is no stranger to producing elite athletes.
But for Trimble, his connection to Clark goes beyond basketball. His son, Jaxon, played little-league soccer with Clark when both were children.
“Caitlin, then going by Catie, played on an all-boys’ West Des Moines soccer team and that’s when I first met her. And I remember watching her play. She was all over the place and she was basically yelling at the boys, telling them where to go, what to do. Coaching them on the field,” Trimble said. “She was probably the most intense player on that field. And I said to my wife, ‘Who is this little girl?’ And that was Caitlin Clark.”
Trimble said that if memory serves, Clark might have been a forward on that soccer team. Her athletic abilities immediately jumped out, but so did her competitiveness. Years later, Jaxon, who attended Dowling Catholic with Clark, came home from school one day and told his father about Clark, the basketball player.
“He said, ‘Dad, Caitin Clark is one of the best high school players in the nation.’ And I said, ‘Oh my gosh. You’re talking about that Catie that was on your soccer team?’ I believe it,” Trimble said.
“As the mayor of this city, we are really proud. She’s doing a great job representing not only West Des Moines but the entire state of Iowa and we couldn’t be more proud of her.”
image2-e1680213096884.jpeg

Thought Clark’s 41-point tournament game was something? She dropped 60 points in high school. (Courtesy of Earl Hulst)

Continued in comment​

Article Continued…

The risk-taker​

Meyer remembers the first time she saw Clark throw one of her now-famous behind-the-back passes. Clark had just wrapped up eighth grade and was heading into high school when Meyer took the Dowling Catholic team to Creighton University for a team camp.
During a five-on-five game — referees and a scoreboard, included — Clark threw a behind-the-back pass. Dowling scored.
“That’s a little bit risky,” Meyer told Clark.
So she came up with a rule.
Any time Clark successfully threw a behind-the-back pass, she’d earn herself the right to attempt another. But if she turned the ball over, she’d lose her privileges. Meyer called it the “one-plus” rule.
“That went on through (all of) high school,” Meyer said.
Clark never once turned the ball over on her behind-the-back passes and instead perpetually continued to earn herself one more pass. Four years later, Clark finished her high school career with anywhere between 10 and 15 successful behind-the-back passes.
“I told her that the summer before her freshman year, assuming that by the end of summer we would maybe not be throwing behind-the-back passes,” Meyer said. “Then she earned the right to get to throw them. She took that challenge and just ran with it.”

The philanthropist​

When legislation passed in the summer of 2021 that allowed athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness for the first time, John Boller, the executive director of the Coralville Community Food Pantry in nearby Coralville knew just who to call to help with the pantry’s effort to feed the hungry.
“I kind of surveyed our options and I was like, Iowa is a good football program, but personally, I’ve been a huge Iowa women’s basketball fan for a long time now, so it was a no-brainer,” he said. “It was clear that (Clark) was the biggest name at that time in any type of Iowa sport. And now today, she’s one of the biggest names in all of basketball, which is really, really exciting.”
Boller reached out to Clark through her uncle, who was helping with her business opportunities. The food pantry had every intention of paying Clark to help with fundraising and community outreach. But Clark insisted she wanted to help for free, and last year, it was her idea to hold an in-person donation drive. Anybody who brought a personal care item — including menstrual products, shampoo or soap — got to meet Clark and take a picture with her. Among those who showed up with items were some of the people who use the food pantry as a service.
“I’m not going to lie. Things have been really hard around here for the past three years. People are really, really struggling just to gain access to one of the most basic human rights, food,” Boller said. “The families who are turning to us for support are just going through really hard times. So to have an interruption where we get to connect with this incredible person, who just so happens to be one of the most incredible basketball players that we’ll ever see in our lifetime — to have her step foot in the building and to link arms with us in this way to do some good — it was just really special.”
Clark teamed up with the food pantry for a month last year during March Madness to help raise $22,000 in honor of her No. 22 jersey. In a month, the pantry raised $23,000. This year, the pantry raised $16,000 in its first week of the campaign alone.
“People refer to Caitlin as a cheat code in basketball,” Boller said. “And to me, I think she’s proven to be a cheat code in philanthropy, as well.”

The trash talker​

Of course, Clark knows how to talk a little bit of trash. The best in the game always do.
“Just a little bit. She doesn’t do it very often,” said high school teammate Josie Filer, who just wrapped up her last year of eligibility as a grad transfer at Illinois Chicago. “But if you get her going, she’ll bark back for sure.”
At one point late in that now-famous Mason City game, Klaahsen remembers talking with — OK fine, maybe arguing with — an official about a particular call. Clark was standing nearby and overheard the exchange.
“She did tell me to, ‘Sit down and be quiet, Coach,’” Klaahsen recalled. “But when you look back, it’s the competitor she was. I don’t think she was being rude.”
Clark didn’t just get into opponents’ heads with her words, though. More often than not, she meticulously unraveled them with her style of play.
“She brought someone to tears one time on the court just by what she was doing, not even what she was saying,” McVey said, mentioning step-back 3s and ankle-breaking crossovers. “It was just one of those things where I’m like, ‘I get it’ because I was typically the one who guarded her in practice a lot of the time.”

The karaoke performer​

Those who know Clark best say she’s not all-basketball all the time. She’s got a goofy side, too, which came out one Saturday afternoonduring her high school career when Dowling Catholic had a makeup game because of a snowstorm. The Maroons had a shootaround and a walk-through of the scouting report before the game.
Then the team noticed the microphones the school used for games were already set up, so the Maroons had an impromptu karaoke session with all of the lights off. Clark sang “When I Pray for You,” the team’s anthem of sorts that year, by Dan + Shay. How were her pipes?
“You know, not as great as she is as a basketball player,” Gaber said.
“She should stick to basketball,” added McVey, who’s now a starting shortstop at Michigan. “The mic is a little unforgiving, especially in our gym. … But I will give her credit. She will go for it.”

The game-changer​

Dowling Catholic will hold “Caitlin Clark Day” on Friday, and athletic director Tom Wilson expects the school to be packed with students in Iowa gear.
“Obviously she plays women’s basketball, but I think she’s going to transcend the boys’ game, as well. I think they just respect her ability and her passion for her spot,” Wilson said. “She’s making an impact that I think goes beyond the Final Four.”
Indeed, Clark has the attention of basketball fans at every level and is changing the way this women’s NCAA Tournament is viewed. The Iowa-Louisville Elite Eight matchup last week drew 2.5 million viewers on ESPN, higher than any of the network’s regular-season NBA games this season.
“She’s the best basketball player, period, in the country,” McVey said.
Just this week, Boller — whose nephew skipped school to help out at the food pantry the day Clark came through last year — was playing basketball in the driveway with that same nephew. His nephew is in the seventh grade.
“Every time he was shooting, he was like, ‘Caitlin Clark for 3! Monika Czinano with the post move!'” Boller said. “That’s just so awesome to see that now integrated into the language of young people.
“I think she’s the greatest thing to happen to the state of Iowa in a long time.”
(Illustration: John Bradford / The Athletic; Photo of Caitlin Clark: Alika Jenner / Getty Images)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT