ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Minnesota

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
One of the worst performances ever by an Iowa team in Kinnick on national tv against an unranked opponent. A 12-10 loss that helped put an end to any type of national discussion of Iowa, good or bad. The worst part about it is, there was NOTHING to give fans hope that the team can regroup and actually play offense.

Play Calling Can't Get Worse. It was kind of cute early in the season when commentators noticed how Iowa's offense only seems to move at the beginning of games when running their pre-scripted plays (i.e. plays planned by the entire staff in the week leading up to the game). Once the script ends, week after week, the Hawks offense stalls. At halftime, when most coaches put pen to paper and make adjustments, boy wonder proves time and time again he's not qualified. Each play on offense looks unnecessarily difficult. Somehow even short simple passes always seem to be forced into triple coverage. The route trees are so pathetic that it's impossible for anyone to get open, even with 5 guys running routes. Then there's the runs, which are so predictable that dline knows the play before Deac hikes the ball. The OC, who should have been fired 2 years ago, and again last year, deserves a fat F on the day and needs to donate his pay check to the children's hospital.

Remember that "Resurgent Running Game?" Ha! The Hawks had 28 rushes today for just 11 yards!!! Has anyone ever seen a stat line that bad, especially with a "run oriented offense?" I don't care if it's Iowa City High against Alabama, .4 yards per rush is not acceptable. Kaleb Johnson, the 1st teamer/most hyped, seems to go down the instant he's touched. Jaz Patterson, who, for some reason, was brought in on most 3rd and short situations, averaged just .7 yards per carries and failed to reach the line to gain on any of his attempts. Then there's the workhorse, Williams, who averaged just 1.2 yards because every time he touched the ball there were 3 defenders in the backfield.

Higgins Deserves Better. Iowa's most underrated player is not only making a case for team MVP, but also for 1st team All American. This week, Higgins added to his Big 10 lead with 14 more tackles, including a tackle for loss. I don't even recall Jack Campbell consistently recording that many tackles en route to winning the Butkus award.

Nwankpa Disappears Again. Was the guy's name ever called during the game? He was out there, but did anyone see him in on any play? I sure didn't. While unheralded Castro was all over the field, X was a huge no show on defense yet again.

Anderson Should Have Stayed at DII. Three straight drops by Anderson this week after a horrible first half of the season. The only positive is he didn't smile with a huge grin after each drop of like Vines in weeks past on his drops. And what about the Ohio State transfer that would come in and light up the offense? 8 games and zero catches. I bet no one had that on their bingo card this year.

QB Play is Way Worse Than Even Petras. Who would have thought Iowa would keep playing a QB who can't manage to complete 38% of his passes every down of every game? What coaching staff leaves in a QB after 3 horrible turnovers, zero mobility, and zero throwing ability? At this point, the Hawks would be better off starting DeJean at QB and letting someone else help him out on defense.

What Happened to Jermari Harris. Wasn't it just a few years ago when the staff was making comparisons between Harris and some Hawkeye greats? Minnesota completed 10 passes and nearly all of them involved Harris getting burned or being out of position (if he wasn't getting called for pass interference). What a contrast to the way DeJean plays on the other side of the field. Now we can see why the staff was desperately hunting for a CB in the portal this past year even knowing they had a pre-season all-American cb.

Last edited:
That was fast! Usually we have 24 hours before the "Iowaslaw" post shows up.

Anyway, you called X Nwankpa. You should have (once again) called out the other safety. As usual, he was garbage. Misssed tackle, late to the party, a dropped INT. But he sure does try hard!

One of the worst performances ever by an Iowa team in Kinnick on national tv against an unranked opponent. A 12-10 loss that helped put an end to any type of national discussion of Iowa, good or bad. The worst part about it is, there was NOTHING to give fans hope that the team can regroup and actually play offense.

Play Calling Can't Get Worse. It was kind of cute early in the season when commentators noticed how Iowa's offense only seems to move at the beginning of games when running their pre-scripted plays (i.e. plays planned by the entire staff in advance of the game). As soon as the script ends, week after week, the Hawks have no offense. When most coaches put pen to paper and make halftime adjustments, boy wonder never stands a chance. Each play on offense looks difficult. Somehow even short passes always seem to be into triple coverage. The route trees are so pathetic that it's impossible for anyone to get open, even when you have 5 guys running routes. Then there's the runs, which are so predictable that the Hawks lose yards more often than they gain yards. The OC, who should have been fired 2 years ago, deserves a fat F on the day and needs to donate his pay check to the children's hospital.

Remember that "Resurgent Running Game?" Ha! The Hawks had 28 rushes today for 11 yards!!! Has anyone ever seen a stat line that bad at any level? I don't care if it's Iowa City High against Alabama, .4 yards per rush is not acceptable. Kaleb Johnson, the 1st teamer/most hyped, seems to go down the instant he's touched. Jaz Patterson, who, for some reason, was brought in on most 3rd and short situations, averaged just .7 yards per carries and failed to reach the line to gain on any of his attempts. Then there's the workhorse, Williams, who averaged just 1.2 yards primarily because every time he touched the ball there were 3 defenders in the backfield.

Higgins Deserves Better. Iowa's most underrated player is not only making a case for team MVP, but also for 1st team All American. This week, Higgins added to his Big 10 lead with 14 more tackles, including a tackle for loss. I don't even recall Jack Campbell consistently recording that many tackles last year en route to winning the Butkus award.

Nwankpa Disappears Again. Was the guy's name ever called during the game? He was out there, but did anyone see him in on any play? I sure didn't. While unheralded Castro was all over the field, X was a huge no show on defense yet again.

Anderson Should Have Stayed at DII. Three straight drops by Anderson this week. The only positive is he didn't smile with a huge grin after each one of them like Vines has done in weeks past on his drops. And what about the Ohio State transfer? 8 games and zero catches. I bet no one had that on their bingo card this year.

QB Play is Way Worse Than Even Petras. Who would have thought Iowa would have a QB who couldn't even complete 40% of his passes in all 3 of his starts? More shocking, who would have thought a QB would continue playing after 3 horrible turnovers, no ability to run, and no ability to throw? At this point, the Hawks would be better off starting DeJean at QB and letting someone else help him out on defense.
Law good thing Minny is a god awful team ... any team not in Big 10 West beats the Hawks by 30 or 40.
Amazing this big D rep BS when you have two members of secondary that couldn’t play at Drake

Reactions: amahawk
That was fast! Usually we have 24 hours before the "Iowaslaw" post shows up.

Anyway, you called X Nwankpa. You should have (once again) called out the other safety. As usual, he was garbage. Misssed tackle, late to the party, a dropped INT. But he sure does try hard!
Again our defense did not give up a touchdown. Our defense did not give up a touchdown to Minnesota and we lost.

Play Calling Can't Get Worse. It was kind of cute early in the season when commentators noticed how Iowa's offense only seems to move at the beginning of games when running their pre-scripted plays (i.e. plays planned by the entire staff in advance of the game). As soon as the script ends, week after week, the Hawks have no offense. When most coaches put pen to paper and make halftime adjustments, boy wonder never stands a chance. Each play on offense looks difficult. Somehow even short passes always seem to be into triple coverage. The route trees are so pathetic that it's impossible for anyone to get open, even when you have 5 guys running routes. Then there's the runs, which are so predictable that the Hawks lose yards more often than they gain yards. The OC, who should have been fired 2 years ago, deserves a fat F on the day and needs to donate his pay check to the children's hospital.

Remember that "Resurgent Running Game?" Ha! The Hawks had 28 rushes today for 11 yards!!! Has anyone ever seen a stat line that bad at any level? I don't care if it's Iowa City High against Alabama, .4 yards per rush is not acceptable. Kaleb Johnson, the 1st teamer/most hyped, seems to go down the instant he's touched. Jaz Patterson, who, for some reason, was brought in on most 3rd and short situations, averaged just .7 yards per carries and failed to reach the line to gain on any of his attempts. Then there's the workhorse, Williams, who averaged just 1.2 yards primarily because every time he touched the ball there were 3 defenders in the backfield.

Higgins Deserves Better. Iowa's most underrated player is not only making a case for team MVP, but also for 1st team All American. This week, Higgins added to his Big 10 lead with 14 more tackles, including a tackle for loss. I don't even recall Jack Campbell consistently recording that many tackles last year en route to winning the Butkus award.

Anderson Should Have Stayed at DII. Three straight drops by Anderson this week. The only positive is he didn't smile with a huge grin after each one of them like Vines has done in weeks past on his drops. And what about the Ohio State transfer? 8 games and zero catches. I bet no one had that on their bingo card this year.

QB Play is Way Worse Than Even Petras. Who would have thought Iowa would have a QB who couldn't even complete 40% of his passes in all 3 of his starts? More shocking, who would have thought a QB would continue playing after 3 horrible turnovers, no ability to run, and no ability to throw? At this point, the Hawks would be better off starting DeJean at QB and letting someone else help him out on defense.
You forgot the offensive line. Open holes and pass block and maybe Iowa is not the worst offense in major or maybe all of college football.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Kirk is used to relying on defensive to win games but this time he had to rely on offensive thus face palm

You forgot the offensive line. Open holes and pass block and maybe Iowa is not the worst offense in major or maybe all of college football.
Seats in the end zone today. O-line had some holes opened in the 1st qtr but couldn’t hold their blocks long enough and holes closed quickly. RB’s starting 7 yds deep didn’t stand a chance. Didn’t take long and there was nothing even resembling a hole. O-line got destroyed today.

Is the problem zone blocking?
No, we ran it in college very effectively. They’ve just done a sh**y job of recruiting and developing OL and really everyone on offense. Also, no run game is going to be effective when you’re this dysfunctional at throwing the football. You don’t have to be great with it but it should at least be a threat. And our passing game isn’t a threat.

What Happened to Jermari Harris. Wasn't it just a few years ago when the staff was making comparisons between Harris and some Hawkeye greats? Minnesota completed 10 passes, and how many of them involved Harris getting burned? Not having re-watched the game, I'd guess around 8. What a contrast compared to the way DeJean plays. We can definitely see why the staff was hunting for a CB in the portal this past year even knowing they had a pre-season all-American cb.
I think you nailed it, I was thinking the same thing on most of this. Nwankpa seems slow and out of place, while Harris gets burned on a regular bases and he completely missed on an outside run play that he should have made. We are lucky that the teams we are playing, aren't much better than us on the offensive end. QB play is shocking and only getting worse. It seems like QB's get worse the longer they are at Iowa in this system under these coaches. I could go on, but I think you covered it all very well.

Our defense gave up nine points. NINE POINTS. When the offense fumbles the ball on its own ten yard line, and the defense holds Minnesota to a field goal, I’m giving those points to the Iowa offense. Hell maybe Brian can count them towards his point total.
Okay, all I am saying is that the D should have scored. In all seriousness, the defense and special teams have to be perfect if Iowa expects to win. They weren't and it is unfair to expect them to be perfect, but that is what I expect going forward.

Okay, all I am saying is that the D should have scored. In all seriousness, the defense and special teams have to be perfect if Iowa expects to win. They weren't and it is unfair to expect them to be perfect, but that is what I expect going forward.
Agree with that. Our offense is broken. No recruit/portal guy is going to want to play here, if they have other options. It’s bad. And it’s only going to get worse.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Agree with that. Our offense is broken. No recruit/portal guy is going to want to play here, if they have other options. It’s bad. And it’s only going to get worse.

It didn't work out too well for the two Michigan guys. The TE All really was a difference maker, but he went down. Cade was never healthy, but even if he was healthy, I don't think he'd be able to do much with this supporting cast.

We've been garbage for 3 years running now. KF had a window after the 1st year when we were something like 110th in offense out of 131 in FBS when he could have shook things up. Instead he doubled down and then trippled down.

What happens with BF at the end of this season will be interesting. Belichek is feeling some heat in New England.,,,his own kid is on the staff...It isn' guaranteed he'll be throwing KF a bone and re-hiring BF as assistant. KF will try to keep the status quo and BF return as OC.

Kirk is used to relying on defensive to win games but this time he had to rely on offensive thus face palm
I actually kind of laughed when Kirk started crying after coopers potential save, and then the walk back to being pissed off.

He deserves it now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT