ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Minnesota

One of the worst performances ever by an Iowa team in Kinnick on national tv against an unranked opponent. A 12-10 loss that helped put an end to any type of national discussion of Iowa, good or bad. The worst part about it is, there was NOTHING to give fans hope that the team can regroup and actually play offense.

Play Calling Can't Get Worse. It was kind of cute early in the season when commentators noticed how Iowa's offense only seems to move at the beginning of games when running their pre-scripted plays (i.e. plays planned by the entire staff in advance of the game). As soon as the script ends, week after week, the Hawks have no offense. When most coaches put pen to paper and make halftime adjustments, boy wonder never stands a chance. Each play on offense looks difficult. Somehow even short passes always seem to be into triple coverage. The route trees are so pathetic that it's impossible for anyone to get open, even when you have 5 guys running routes. Then there's the runs, which are so predictable that the Hawks lose yards more often than they gain yards. The OC, who should have been fired 2 years ago, deserves a fat F on the day and needs to donate his pay check to the children's hospital.

Remember that "Resurgent Running Game?" Ha! The Hawks had 28 rushes today for 11 yards!!! Has anyone ever seen a stat line that bad at any level? I don't care if it's Iowa City High against Alabama, .4 yards per rush is not acceptable. Kaleb Johnson, the 1st teamer/most hyped, seems to go down the instant he's touched. Jaz Patterson, who, for some reason, was brought in on most 3rd and short situations, averaged just .7 yards per carries and failed to reach the line to gain on any of his attempts. Then there's the workhorse, Williams, who averaged just 1.2 yards primarily because every time he touched the ball there were 3 defenders in the backfield.

Higgins Deserves Better. Iowa's most underrated player is not only making a case for team MVP, but also for 1st team All American. This week, Higgins added to his Big 10 lead with 14 more tackles, including a tackle for loss. I don't even recall Jack Campbell consistently recording that many tackles last year en route to winning the Butkus award.

Nwankpa Disappears Again. Was the guy's name ever called during the game? He was out there, but did anyone see him in on any play? I sure didn't. While unheralded Castro was all over the field, X was a huge no show on defense yet again.

Anderson Should Have Stayed at DII. Three straight drops by Anderson this week. The only positive is he didn't smile with a huge grin after each one of them like Vines has done in weeks past on his drops. And what about the Ohio State transfer? 8 games and zero catches. I bet no one had that on their bingo card this year.

QB Play is Way Worse Than Even Petras. Who would have thought Iowa would have a QB who couldn't even complete 40% of his passes in all 3 of his starts? More shocking, who would have thought a QB would continue playing after 3 horrible turnovers, no ability to run, and no ability to throw? At this point, the Hawks would be better off starting DeJean at QB and letting someone else help him out on defense.

What Happened to Jermari Harris. Wasn't it just a few years ago when the staff was making comparisons between Harris and some Hawkeye greats? Minnesota completed 10 passes, and how many of them involved Harris getting burned? Not having re-watched the game, I'd guess around 8. What a contrast compared to the way DeJean plays. We can definitely see why the staff was hunting for a CB in the portal this past year even knowing they had a pre-season all-American cb.
You would think that Brian would try to go up in the box just to try something different. It literally can not get worse but we still try nothing new.

You would think that Brian would try to go up in the box just to try something different. It literally can not get worse but we still try nothing new.
Or just resign! That would work too. BF is the worst OC in college football and gets exposed every single week on national tv.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
One of the worst performances ever by an Iowa team in Kinnick on national tv against an unranked opponent. A 12-10 loss that helped put an end to any type of national discussion of Iowa, good or bad. The worst part about it is, there was NOTHING to give fans hope that the team can regroup and actually play offense.

Play Calling Can't Get Worse. It was kind of cute early in the season when commentators noticed how Iowa's offense only seems to move at the beginning of games when running their pre-scripted plays (i.e. plays planned by the entire staff in advance of the game). As soon as the script ends, week after week, the Hawks have no offense. When most coaches put pen to paper and make halftime adjustments, boy wonder never stands a chance. Each play on offense looks difficult. Somehow even short passes always seem to be into triple coverage. The route trees are so pathetic that it's impossible for anyone to get open, even when you have 5 guys running routes. Then there's the runs, which are so predictable that the Hawks lose yards more often than they gain yards. The OC, who should have been fired 2 years ago, deserves a fat F on the day and needs to donate his pay check to the children's hospital.

Remember that "Resurgent Running Game?" Ha! The Hawks had 28 rushes today for 11 yards!!! Has anyone ever seen a stat line that bad at any level? I don't care if it's Iowa City High against Alabama, .4 yards per rush is not acceptable. Kaleb Johnson, the 1st teamer/most hyped, seems to go down the instant he's touched. Jaz Patterson, who, for some reason, was brought in on most 3rd and short situations, averaged just .7 yards per carries and failed to reach the line to gain on any of his attempts. Then there's the workhorse, Williams, who averaged just 1.2 yards primarily because every time he touched the ball there were 3 defenders in the backfield.

Higgins Deserves Better. Iowa's most underrated player is not only making a case for team MVP, but also for 1st team All American. This week, Higgins added to his Big 10 lead with 14 more tackles, including a tackle for loss. I don't even recall Jack Campbell consistently recording that many tackles last year en route to winning the Butkus award.

Nwankpa Disappears Again. Was the guy's name ever called during the game? He was out there, but did anyone see him in on any play? I sure didn't. While unheralded Castro was all over the field, X was a huge no show on defense yet again.

Anderson Should Have Stayed at DII. Three straight drops by Anderson this week. The only positive is he didn't smile with a huge grin after each one of them like Vines has done in weeks past on his drops. And what about the Ohio State transfer? 8 games and zero catches. I bet no one had that on their bingo card this year.

QB Play is Way Worse Than Even Petras. Who would have thought Iowa would have a QB who couldn't even complete 40% of his passes in all 3 of his starts? More shocking, who would have thought a QB would continue playing after 3 horrible turnovers, no ability to run, and no ability to throw? At this point, the Hawks would be better off starting DeJean at QB and letting someone else help him out on defense.

What Happened to Jermari Harris. Wasn't it just a few years ago when the staff was making comparisons between Harris and some Hawkeye greats? Minnesota completed 10 passes, and how many of them involved Harris getting burned? Not having re-watched the game, I'd guess around 8. What a contrast compared to the way DeJean plays. We can definitely see why the staff was hunting for a CB in the portal this past year even knowing they had a pre-season all-American cb.
There isn’t a single point I could nitpick.

It’s past time for Kirk to retire. Brian can be a glorified position’s assistant water cooler equipment locker room manager for the New England Patriots.

At this point, you are beyond willfully ignorant if you still support this shit.

Reactions: your_master5
Law good thing Minny is a god awful team ... any team not in Big 10 West beats the Hawks by 30 or 40.
Amazing this big D rep BS when you have two members of secondary that couldn’t play at Drake
@Dr.PhilSuess - sad but true. Harris has been a major disappointment. The fact that he's on the field with a bunch of elite players makes him stand out like a sore thumb and opposing teams exploit it by throwing directly at him.

@uiowa08 - Petras aged like rancid milk. He regressed from the day he arrived on campus and by his senior year he was afraid of his own shadow. Let's not let Deac's futility rewrite history on just how bad Petras was game in and game out for 3 years. He would make the Big 10's all decade team for worst QB.

@Razorhawk2 - there are only so many weak position groups to point out in one post, but you are right. That OLine was exposed in a major way. Toward the end of the game when the game was on the line, Minnesota rushed just 3 guys and STILL put pressure on Deac on every pass. How is that possible?

@Buffalo43 - I'd say Duke is right around Iowa's level right now (which is still embarrassing). Duke has had a pretty light schedule, and the two ranked opponents they faced beat them. One thing Duke has that Iowa lacks is an offensive coordinator who knows how to call plays.

@mlb1399 - Excellent point. The weakness of the Big 10 west alone is the reason Kirk and Brian still have jobs. Put Iowa in the SEC or Big 12 year in and year out and they would be a .500 team. We'll see what it looks like next year when some new blood joins the conference and we don't get doormats like Northwestern and Illinois on the schedule each year to pad the stats.

Reactions: mlb1399
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT