ADVERTISEMENT

Argentina elects far-right libertarian who wields a chainsaw during campaign rallies....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
230930221328-01-chainsaw-candidate-argentina-javier-milei.jpg

Heaven forbid they tax the rich

It’s never enough.

Link
In Argentina, a country that once was seventh in the world in terms of gross domestic product (GDP) per head, tax authorities have managed to implement the highest tax burden in the world.

Since the creation of the Argentine Central Bank in May 1935, the average yearly inflation rate has been approximately 200 percent, the exception being from 1991 to 2001 when the Argentine peso was pegged to the dollar and the average inflation rate was 9 percent. Moreover, the vast majority was concentrated in the first year, with rates of 1 percent or even deflation from 1992 to 2002.

I don’t know how much power he will wield within their system to achieve his aims, but it will be a positive for the country if he can reign in their spending and end the inflation.

It’s never enough.

Link
In Argentina, a country that once was seventh in the world in terms of gross domestic product (GDP) per head, tax authorities have managed to implement the highest tax burden in the world.

Since the creation of the Argentine Central Bank in May 1935, the average yearly inflation rate has been approximately 200 percent, the exception being from 1991 to 2001 when the Argentine peso was pegged to the dollar and the average inflation rate was 9 percent. Moreover, the vast majority was concentrated in the first year, with rates of 1 percent or even deflation from 1992 to 2002.

I don’t know how much power he will wield within their system to achieve his aims, but it will be a positive for the country if he can reign in their spending and end the inflation.
So are you saying Argentina is a harbinger for the United States? If so, in what way are their economies remotely similar? If not, WTF?

Heaven forbid they tax the rich
They have a wealth tax.
It's never enough.

The one time the country hasn't known ridiculous inflation is when they took away local political control of their currency and pegged to the U.S. dollar.

This guy promises a return to that, why are people surprised that the voters went against the people who have buried them in triple digit inflation?

Best filet I ever had was Argentine beef. It was in a little steakhouse in Puerto Rico of all places. As a proud Iowan by birth, none of this made any sense.

Reactions: CaboKP and goldmom
The videos of some of the in-studio interviews this guy has given are incredibly disturbing.

I look forward to this libertarian experiment. Glad it's far away.

The last one was Somalia, I think. I imagine Argentina can do better than that.

Austerity and ditching protections sounds like a rough future for a nation where 40% already live in poverty, but let's see what happens.

Is Argentina too far away for this to swell our already difficult refugee/asylum crisis?

Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT