ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona St-Michigan Dual Update

Micic won’t AA at 41! Too small! Not sure why he doesn’t go 33 where he is top 5!
He is bumping up from 57kg to 65kg for freestyle and doesn't want to cut down for his 13th season of NCAA eligibility and delay putting on size.

That would be sad given that pathetic final he put out there last year. What was it, like 2:30 of the first 6:30 wrestled with at least one foot oob?
Perspective is a funny thing. It’s amazing to me how PSU fans harped so hard on Hidlay stalling even when Brooks still won the match, but how tight lipped they were about Starocci stalling against Kemerer in a match that Starocci inevitably won. How can you see one but not the other?

To be clear, I have said the entire time that I have no issue with the stall calls against Hidlay, so this isn’t about that, it is simply about seeing one so “clearly” while being completely “blind” to the other…

Perspective is a funny thing. It’s amazing to me how PSU fans harped so hard on Hidlay stalling even when Brooks still won the match, but how tight lipped they were about Starocci stalling against Kemerer in a match that Starocci inevitably won. How can you see one but not the other?

To be clear, I have said the entire time that I have no issue with the stall calls against Hidlay, so this isn’t about that, it is simply about seeing one so “clearly” while being completely “blind” to the other…
I’m not totally blind, but was trying to stay on the specific matchup an early poster posed. I do recall Carter presenting himself more, and certainly not riding the edge, relative to 184.

I also hope that having Dean in the room is only helping Brooks deal with scoring on guys that are hard to penetrate. Between Starocci and Dean (leaving out NLWC) that’s a perfect pair.

I admittedly used your post as a springboard to the more vocal PSU fan base as a whole. It wasn’t meant solely for you and your response is fair.

But, I will say that the way Starocci wrestled on his feet was every bit as much stalling as anything Hidlay did. It just was done differently, hence viewed differently.

Hidlay hand fought very well in that match and wasn’t so much trying not to wrestle, but was trying to get Brooks to chase and step into his underhooks because Brooks wouldn’t allow that position otherwise. By taking the outside position he was hoping Brooks would have to stalk him to the outside and possibly open up trying to force action on the edge. Wisely Brooks never did and eventually drew the stall calls.

What Starocci did was very similar in that he NEVER opened up for basically the entire match in regulation time. His tactic, although different was trying to force the same thing, Kemerer opening up on his attacks and allowing Starocci’s best position, being counters. Unlike Brooks Kemerer actually did open up, attacking often, but from too much space. Starocci never scored in regulation, but was also not called for a stalling point. As such, Kemerer basically tired himself out and Starocci was able to capitalize in OT.

That would be sad given that pathetic final he put out there last year. What was it, like 2:30 of the first 6:30 wrestled with at least one foot oob?
I agree. I hate being negative on any wrestler but the Hidleys' are so damn boring to watch. After their little celebrations at the duel in Florida I'll be rooting against them going forward...unless it's against PSU.

Reactions: pml_dad
I agree. I hate being negative on any wrestler but the Hidleys' are so damn boring to watch. After their little celebrations at the duel in Florida I'll be rooting against them going forward...unless it's against PSU.
Boring? I get that you may not have liked their celebration, but calling them boring means you haven’t really watched them wrestle. Especially Hayden. Hayden has put up points in bunches his entire career and had Nolf beat dead to rights.

Now, I can see a reason to say it about Trent, but that is only when he is wrestling the top 3 or 4 guys. That is only because they have scouted him and take away his undertook. This is much like what RBY does to DeSanto. No one really ever calls Austin boring but those matches he pretty much is when nearly all of his offense is taken away by clearing the left arm, just like clearing Trent’s underhooks.

Boring? I get that you may not have liked their celebration, but calling them boring means you haven’t really watched them wrestle. Especially Hayden. Hayden has put up points in bunches his entire career and had Nolf beat dead to rights.

Now, I can see a reason to say it about Trent, but that is only when he is wrestling the top 3 or 4 guys. That is only because they have scouted him and take away his undertook. This is much like what RBY does to DeSanto. No one really ever calls Austin boring but those matches he pretty much is when nearly all of his offense is taken away by clearing the left arm, just like clearing Trent’s underhooks.

Yeah I was thinking more about Trent's stlye. I dont go out of my way to watch him so have only caught his later rounds at NCAAs. You probably have a point. Doesnt change my opinion though.

Hypocrisy is the new norm. And it works pretty well in our short-memory soundbite world. Thank goodness the fact checkers, video replayers, and folks with great memory keep us honest once and awhile.

I don’t disagree with you my friend. I feel like that’s how a lot of teams/wrestlers try to be competitive against the Iowa and PSU hammers…wrestle as close to oob as possible so they can bail when things get tense. And sadly the refs rarely call stalling IMO when the opponents do that crap. BTW, I’m not a PSU or Brooks hater; I just want the Hawks to win this year…and every year. But without Spencer it will be tough.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Whenever you get a bunch of academic people in a position to make a decision that takes either common sense or courage, you can bet the decision will incorporate neither. Crazy times we are living in.
Don't look in the mirror when you say common sense. Get the f------ shots and protect all your team mates and family. It's just a tiny needle. Oh, you and your family are special. No comment needed...

It was the theme of the entire finals last year. They were mostly horrible. One guy pursuing while the other standing at the edge of the circle. Not a big fan of the push out rule, because of guys like Zare who do nothing but go for push outs, but last year changed my mind on possibly changing the rule.
I thought Amine looked awesome too and thought he may have the advantage over Brooks. Then I saw Brooks tonight just dominate his opponent lol so I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT