ADVERTISEMENT

Drake can't have nice things

College basketball is just probably going to be a year to year thing on rosters more than ever. Guys who don’t play will look to move. Guys that are studs at lower levels will want to prove themselves at a power school.

I hope no more Iowa guys transfer, but any one outside of coaches relatives would not be a surprise since you don’t have to sit out a year, right?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Drake has become the minor leagues if college basketball. I say the academics are just too damn tough. Gotta be really smart to get a degree from that place.

Yesufu is from Bolingbrook. I wonder if he’ll reach out to the Illini since Miller is gone now.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
It’s a total win win for the Power 5’s. For the mid majors like Drake losing Robbins, a guy nobody wanted coming out of high school, and Drake took a chance, and Yesefu a lightly recruited undersized pt guard given the opportunity to shine, it sucks. They’ve done a nice job in the portal getting Hemphill and Brodie, but this is not a fair game for the mid majors.

Yeah. I'm not a fan of the portal. It may be great for some kids but it will be very bad for those that don't find soft landing spots which will be most of them.
Good point. I wonder how the domino effect will work here. So Miller leaves IL and they grab some other guy in the portal which doesn't sit well with a guy not in the portal which causes him to enter the portal. Multiply this times 60 + programs and it could be musical chairs until the portal closes--if it does.

Reactions: Hawkdome
If I read correctly, there are 4500 or so players playing D1 bball. We are currently over 1000 in the portal, possibly ending up over 1500. That would be 1/3 of all players.

It’s a total win win for the Power 5’s. For the mid majors like Drake losing Robbins, a guy nobody wanted coming out of high school, and Drake took a chance, and Yesefu a lightly recruited undersized pt guard given the opportunity to shine, it sucks. They’ve done a nice job in the portal getting Hemphill and Brodie, but this is not a fair game for the mid majors.
There will be high major guys going down to mid majors too, especially this year.

Probably going to be quite a few ending up in allot worse situations than they had hoped for.

I hope Fran is all over this! He’s a superstar in the making.

He’s a nice player but I think a lot of people are massively overrating this kid. He was a high volume shooter with a very low fg% towards the end of the season, He only shot 35% in 5 postseason games, making 34 shots on a whopping 96 attempts vs all mid-major competition except for USC, and he doesn’t pass the ball at all, only 1.8 Assists per game when he has a massive usage rate in routinely chucking up 20+ shots? That’s not a recipe for winning basketball. So a 6’0 rail thin low % high volume shooter? Seems like a decent guy off the bench in the B1G, not anything close to a superstar unless his outside shooting takes a huge leap forward. You take out his two huge scoring games against a horrid Evansville team and he only shot 41% from the field and 34% from 3 this season in a terrible conference, which was very similar to who he was last year...

If I read correctly, there are 4500 or so players playing D1 bball. We are currently over 1000 in the portal, possibly ending up over 1500. That would be 1/3 of all players.

This is awesome, like free agency. Wish we could have turnover like this every year.

This is awesome, like free agency. Wish we could have turnover like this every year.

To each their own and I am just trying to get perspective but why is this awesome?

As a high school coach, I am mad/ sad when we lose kids to other programs in any sport. This has to be incredibly difficult for coaches in college to keep up with.

I dont understand fans not liking the portal. how is it any different than real life where people are free to go and do what they want to do? Are you a fan of communism? thats not a joke its a serious question. How would you like to be locked into the first job you ever chose. Its so bizzare to me.

I dont understand fans not liking the portal. how is it any different than real life where people are free to go and do what they want to do? Are you a fan of communism? thats not a joke its a serious question. How would you like to be locked into the first job you ever chose. Its so bizzare to me.
I get what you're saying, but it's also one of the reasons I loved college sports more than pro-the(admittedly forced) loyalty of it. I knew that for the most part most of the players were going to be around until they couldn't anymore.

Spending a bunch of time and resources recruiting kids out of HS is pretty much a waste now. I wish Fran would utilize the portal a little more, but through his tenure there haven’t been many players transfer out and none i can think of that were difference makers (besides nunge). Guess that’s a testament to his players really liking him. Hopefully that pays off at some point 🤞

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Spending a bunch of time and resources recruiting kids out of HS is pretty much a waste now. I wish Fran would utilize the portal a little more, but through his tenure there haven’t been many players transfer out and none i can think of that were difference makers (besides nunge). Guess that’s a testament to his players really liking him. Hopefully that pays off at some point 🤞

It's not necessarily a waste. There will still be programs where the core players generally stay together. At some point, if every school is brining in 2-3 transfers every year, a coach could stand out to high school players by saying our first commitment will be to the players on the roster.

Yes, there is less control for coaches and programs. It's probably long overdue. Coaches have been able to move for better jobs and not sit out a year. Now the players can do the same. Over time, as some players don't end up with places to go or end up at much lower levels, we might see the numbers drop. The market will sort itself out. Yes, players will find out the grass isn't always greener elsewhere, but that's for them to find out not for a school or coach to dictate to them.

It's like real life in that nobody can commit to anything and has the attention span of a flea.
As someone who hires guys, if we're comparing it to real life, would you hire a guy who has had a bunch of different jobs in a very short time span? It says a lot about society that so many commit to something and then up and bag it when they don't get their way.
I totally get it that coaches are leaving and many of these guys committed to a coach and not really the school, but at some point we need to be held accountable for the choices we make, not just erase them.
And I'm not saying they can't make a change if things aren't what they thought they would be, or it turns out to be a bad fit, but it's WAY too easy this way, IMO.

He’s a nice player but I think a lot of people are massively overrating this kid. He was a high volume shooter with a very low fg% towards the end of the season, He only shot 35% in 5 postseason games, making 34 shots on a whopping 96 attempts vs all mid-major competition except for USC, and he doesn’t pass the ball at all, only 1.8 Assists per game when he has a massive usage rate in routinely chucking up 20+ shots? That’s not a recipe for winning basketball. So a 6’0 rail thin low % high volume shooter? Seems like a decent guy off the bench in the B1G, not anything close to a superstar unless his outside shooting takes a huge leap forward. You take out his two huge scoring games against a horrid Evansville team and he only shot 41% from the field and 34% from 3 this season in a terrible conference, which was very similar to who he was last year...

Correct. High volume, inefficient shooter.

Reactions: ChiDoc
It's like real life in that nobody can commit to anything and has the attention span of a flea.
As someone who hires guys, if we're comparing it to real life, would you hire a guy who has had a bunch of different jobs in a very short time span? It says a lot about society that so many commit to something and then up and bag it when they don't get their way.
I totally get it that coaches are leaving and many of these guys committed to a coach and not really the school, but at some point we need to be held accountable for the choices we make, not just erase them.
And I'm not saying they can't make a change if things aren't what they thought they would be, or it turns out to be a bad fit, but it's WAY too easy this way, IMO.
We can not like it all we want but that doesn't mean it will stop people from doing it.
We just have to do what best for us and let others deal with their choices.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.

In real life I have always had to sign non-competes.

Reactions: JRingo
Hope he ends up staying at Drake. This is a kid to me that is really good at the Mid Major level but I think would find he would struggle at a high major because he is really a small scoring guard not a point guard.

It's really sad and I feel bad for DeVries....Drake would have been a great story next year. They are building something there and had t he pieces in place. Hope they do well next year.

Hope he ends up staying at Drake. This is a kid to me that is really good at the Mid Major level but I think would find he would struggle at a high major because he is really a small scoring guard not a point guard.
He’s already put out his Instagram post saying he’s leaving so would be very surprised if he came back.

He’s already put out his Instagram post saying he’s leaving so would be very surprised if he came back.
Damn. But Devries has found a way every year to win despite who they lose so I will be interested to see who they land in terms of transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT