ADVERTISEMENT

Artic Plunge

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I am signed up for the Artic Plunge (my first) and I am wondering, how cold do the temps need to be for a postponement or a cancellation? I'm not trying to be a wimp, but man it's cold!

• Haha
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I am signed up for the Artic Plunge (my first) and I am wondering, how cold do the temps need to be for a postponement or a cancellation? I'm not trying to be a wimp, but man it's cold!
Don't think that has ever happened. The plunge experience is very brief, and you can hop right into the outdoor sauna within about 30 seconds of your jump, once you get back up the hill. The spectators actually have it much tougher, as they have to stand out in the cold the whole time. Plungers are only outside for about 5 minutes, and after you jump you can't really feel anything for about 15 minutes anyway. It's a blast, no matter how cold it is.

Don't think that has ever happened. The plunge experience is very brief, and you can hop right into the outdoor sauna within about 30 seconds of your jump, once you get back up the hill. The spectators actually have it much tougher, as they have to stand out in the cold the whole time. Plungers are only outside for about 5 minutes, and after you jump you can't really feel anything for about 15 minutes anyway. It's a blast, no matter how cold it is.
The sauna broke last year which was a bummer. 3 or 4 years ago it was around -20 windchill. I'm sure you remember them having to re-break the ice in between some jumpers. Ironically, that was the year we had to use the kiddie pool because it had been too warm the days leading up to the plunge.

Hawkaeg... I think it would take well past -20 wind chills to even consider cancelling. Suck it up or donate the money you raised to my plunge and I will jump twice.

I survived another plunge with my son. The HWC raised just under $200,000 dollars which has to be one of the highest totals ever. Moriah led the way with over 550,000. Ironside got 2nd for at least the 10th year in a row. He raised over $30,000.

Thank you to the posters on here who donated to my plunge. Gobblin, Nashville Hawkeye, and Chief are 3 I know did. There were others but I don't know their user names or am still brain freezing and forgetting. One donated 4 tickets to the Purdue meet and I ended up getting a $200 donation for them. It's always a good time for those not jumping.

I survived another plunge with my son. The HWC raised just under $200,000 dollars which has to be one of the highest totals ever. Moriah led the way with over 550,000. Ironside got 2nd for at least the 10th year in a row. He raised over $30,000.

Thank you to the posters on here who donated to my plunge. Gobblin, Nashville Hawkeye, and Chief are 3 I know did. There were others but I don't know their user names or am still brain freezing and forgetting. One donated 4 tickets to the Purdue meet and I ended up getting a $200 donation for them. It's always a good time for those not jumping.
It was indeed the record for funds raised by the Plunge. Great time as always. Props to acuhawk for jumping for many years running and for working his tail off for the Hawks in so many other ways.

This is truly a unique event that exemplifies the spirit of the Iowa wrestling community. The coaching staff and HWC athletes and their families are always generous with their time and make an effort to mingle with the fans. We had people there from PA and NJ and probably from a number of other states, and we heard comments from the PA and NJ folks about how special this event and the Iowa wrestling community are. And they are, indeed. Despite the sub-zero temps, there’s always lots of warmth in the room. This is probably the best chance for fans to mingle with wrestlers, coaches, and their families, plus you get a free dinner to boot. Highly recommend for fans.

Special props to Chad Beatty who bleeds black and gold and works tirelessly to put on the Plunge and does so much for the HWC. Incredible dude.

Last edited:
I made it down (first timer) and won the costume battle. The plunge was a bit iffy. I've never wanted more to be in a sauna! I could have spent the rest of the evening in there. It was a great time. Had the opportunity to meet and greet with some wrestlers and coaches. Darn cool event. Cross it off my frozen bucket list.

I made it down (first timer) and won the costume battle. The plunge was a bit iffy. I've never wanted more to be in a sauna! I could have spent the rest of the evening in there. It was a great time. Had the opportunity to meet and greet with some wrestlers and coaches. Darn cool event. Cross it off my frozen bucket list.
img_1816.jpg

Sir hawkaeg80

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT