ADVERTISEMENT

As NBA players wear jerseys with social justice phrases...

So calling a man a bitch ass white boy. And people have the biggest problem with white. Ha ha ha ha ha! The other 3 words are much worse.

Did you watch the clip of Jay Williams addressing it?

Again, it's not about anyone being butthurt about "white boy." It's about the larger context of progressive movements within the NBA that are ostensibly undermined by that level of hypocrisy.

If the NBA and its players don't want the scrutiny, then they should steer away from political messages.

Again, it's not about anyone being butthurt about "white boy." It's about the larger context of progressive movements within the NBA that are ostensibly undermined by that level of hypocrisy.

If the NBA and its players don't want the scrutiny, then they should steer away from political messages.
No I didn't watch it. Just having some fun!

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Please the only people using this to undermine the movements the NBA is standing for are Conservatives (Most of whom don't even watch the league because of the messages they are promoting).

But the profanity is not objectionable and calling a man, a female and a boy is not objectionable. That is absurd.

I believe profanity is objectionable but if the NBA’s past practice is not to discourage it so be it.

However racial epithets are a different matter particularly in this sensitive time. Surely you can see that.

The NBA ought to send a message to every player that racial comments like this are not acceptable by anyone. Harrell ought to be fined, suspended, and made to attend sensitivity training.

Reactions: B1G and Chillyhoff
Most white guys don't take offense to it because they realize "white boy" isn't a slur with the same connotation as other slurs.
Most Native Americans (including myself, I’m 1% per Ancestry.com) didn't think redskins was a slur either but.....

I believe profanity is objectionable but if the NBA’s past practice is not to discourage it so be it.

However racial epithets are a different matter particularly in this sensitive time. Surely you can see that.

The NBA ought to send a message to every player that racial comments like this are not acceptable by anyone. Harrell ought to be fined, suspended, and made to attend sensitivity training.
Hmm well calling a guy a bitch. Shouldn't that be considered Transphobic? Ban all trash talk or allow it all or publish the allowed trash talk phrases.

Hmm well calling a guy a bitch. Shouldn't that be considered Transphobic? Ban all trash talk or allow it all or publish the allowed trash talk phrases.

Agreed. Profanity and personal attacks likely to provoke a violent reaction should be a technical foul.

Racially laced comments ought to be a technical foul, ejection, and personnel action by the NBA.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Please the only people using this to undermine the movements the NBA is standing for are Conservatives (Most of whom don't even watch the league because of the messages they are promoting).
The exact opposite is true. Pointing out the hypocrisy does not undermine the movement, it defends it. It hopes to give it legitimacy. The racial equality movement is strengthened if races are treated equally. The movement is weakened if otherwise.
But I do not expect that to happen, at least not in any public way. The NBA is still a business. They may issue a fine, but they'll keep it confidential. The ratings for their playoffs aren't what they had hoped they'd be. The last thing they want is to give people another excuse to change the channel, so they'll keep this as quiet as they can.

Because this isn't a story, NBA players say inappropriate things to each other during a game all the time, that's why they are dumping the sound every 2 minutes.
You show me a white guy making any type of racial remark towards one of the black ones.....

Most white guys don't take offense to it because they realize "white boy" isn't a slur with the same connotation as other slurs.
Bullshit. most white people I know would be pretty offended if you called them a bitch ass white boy

Dude is clearly an idiot

What are you talking about you female dog? So you were saying calling players the n-word would be okay for white people? Where are you saying that type of comment towards a white person should not be allowed? Or maybe you're just saying they should ban all talk?

What are you talking about you female dog? So you were saying calling players the n-word would be okay for white people? Where are you saying that type of comment towards a white person should not be allowed? Or maybe you're just saying they should ban all talk?
As I said in another post. Allow trash talk, don't allow it or publish the allowed phrases for trash talk. Certainly you are not equating the word white with the n-word. You know how I know it is not equal you can say and type out the word white. You won't do the same for the n-word.

Me personally, I am fine with all trash talk, yes even when I play if someone tries to use Asian racial epithets, talk about my mom, wife, family, etc. Typically they don't know me or my fam and are just trying to get inside my head. But if they are choosing to dish it out, then they better be able to take trash talk coming right back at them.

Last edited:
“Overall, 49% of participants in the UC Berkeley study were found to strongly agree or agree that the Washington Redskins’ name is offensive”
Here I was thinking that 49% was less than most. Silly me.

Then you must know a bunch of snowflakes that have never played competitive sports.
actually I have played and the only time anyone made a racist comment towards one of us the shit hit the fan. You must be a bunch of pussies afraid to defend yourselves.

Most white people don't get upset by racial insults because we haven't been conditioned to be upset by them. We have learned that no one cares if we are insulted because of our race so there's no point in reacting to it.
That doesn't mean we don't notice the insults and recognize the hypocrisy. Society expects us to accept the insults with humility.

Reactions: Bro D
As I said in another post. Allow trash talk, don't allow it or publish the allowed phrases for trash talk. Certainly you are not equating the word white with the n-word. You know how I know it is not equal you can say and type out the word white. You won't do the same for the n-word.

Me personally, I am fine with all trash talk, yes even when I play if someone tries to use Asian racial epithets, talk about my mom, wife, family, etc. Typically they don't know me or my fam and are just trying to get inside my head. But if they are choosing to dish it out, then they better be able to take trash talk coming right back at them.
Racial remarks are fair for everyone or no one. There is no in between. it's pretty funny hearing all this equality for black people but when it comes to punishing black people then that equality doesn't need to exist? I guess if they don't want anything to change then not a bad idea.

Reactions: Chuck C
Most white people don't get upset by racial insults because we haven't been conditioned to be upset by them. We have learned that no one cares if we are insulted because of our race so there's no point in reacting to it.
That doesn't mean we don't notice the insults and recognize the hypocrisy. Society expects us to accept the insults with humility.
I think that is beginning to change more and more each year.....

The hypocrisy has gotten beyond annoying.

This. Same goes with Asians. We don’t get butthurt by them either, but white people sure come to our defense when it occurs. Mostly for publicity and attention whoring reasons.

This is a stupid game we are playing here. Magic words.

We have become obsessed with symbols; they are so easy to fight over, and fighting is what we do. Words are symbols. Symbols are subjective in meaning. Meaning can be manipulated in order to serve agenda. Agenda Leads to bias. Bias erodes credibility. Intent is a very important factor in judging the merits of an interaction. We can only make educated guesses at intent, given most people lack credibility.

You can act with malicious intent without employing malicious symbols. You can employ malicious symbols without acting with malicious intent.

Employing historically malicious symbolism against a member of a historically oppressed group is always a bad idea. Using magic words against black people is unacceptable in our current culture. Until we can credibly accept, in any given episode, that traditionally malicious symbols are being used with benign intent, they will continue to be cancel-worthy violations of the social compact. Water is wet.

Racial slurs, like the one in the OP, do not rise to the currently cancel-worthy level racist slurs with which they are being falsely equated. The differences lie in the sins of the past. Racial simply connotes an acknowledgement of the perceived differences between groups. Racist, in America, means something very specific due to our history.

As a white man, if I call a POC a racial slur, I am a RACIST, regardless of intent. The forces of institutional racism are great, and they wholly supersede my intent.

If a black man calls me a bitch ass white boy, that doesn’t necessarily make him a racist. Racial, yes. Asshole, yes. He gets the benefit of having agency of intent though. Malicious intent could make the insult a racist one, I suppose, but lacking the history (thankfully) of racism against whites in this country, it is not automatically equivalent to a white man using a racial insult against a black man.

Fix the sins of the past, and whites can reclaim agency of intent. Magic words will lose their magic.

Reactions: IAHawk2011
“Overall, 49% of participants in the UC Berkeley study were found to strongly agree or agree that the Washington Redskins’ name is offensive”
Here I was thinking that 49% was less than most. Silly me.

More people find it offensive then not offensive. Including 67% of people heavily involved in native or tribal cultures. So if were debating on if "Redskins" is offensive or not I'll take their word for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT