ADVERTISEMENT

As NBA players wear jerseys with social justice phrases...

More people find it offensive then not offensive. Including 67% of people heavily involved in native or tribal cultures. So if were debating on if "Redskins" is offensive or not I'll take their word for it.
Saw that in the article, but it said 49% of those surveyed found it offensive so what is it, 49% or more people find it offensive than not? Can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
I doubt Luka found it terribly offensive, but for consistency sake, sure, frown upon it.

And would black players really care that much either if Luka said bitch ass black boy? I think they'd laugh.

And finally, I suppose I could see white guys getting a bit touchy about stuff like that given the distinct minority presence in the league.

Then that's the problem.

"Bitch ass black boy." There's a brawl and suspensions.

"Bitch ass Jew boy." There's an outcry of condemning anti-Semitism and suspensions.

"Bitch ass gay boy." There's an outpouring of rhetoric in support of the LGBTQ community and suspensions.

"Bitch ass white boy." Meh. Trash talk is part of the game.

Most white guys aren't going to take offense to it, and I'm certainly one of them, but the greater point is it undermines the credibility of those fighting for racial justice when racially charged rhetoric is allowed to go unchecked.
BNGB nails it here, especially the bolded part.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
As a white man, if I call a POC a racial slur, I am a RACIST, regardless of intent. The forces of institutional racism are great, and they wholly supersede my intent.

If a black man calls me a bitch ass white boy, that doesn’t necessarily make him a racist. Racial, yes. Asshole, yes. He gets the benefit of having agency of intent though. Malicious intent could make the insult a racist one, I suppose, but lacking the history (thankfully) of racism against whites in this country, it is not automatically equivalent to a white man using a racial insult against a black man.

Who made these rules?

Reactions: JMNSHO
Who made these rules?
I made them for me. I’m spitballing here. I’m trying to assemble an understanding. I’m not trying to impose these rules on others, although they might inform my personal judgement of others, which is strictly my opinion.

BNGB nails it here, especially the bolded part.
I mostly agree, with the caveat that those statements are not fully equivalent, due to the history of systemic white racism against blacks—hence my posts struggling to parse racial from racist.

I made them for me. I’m spitballing here. I’m trying to assemble an understanding. I’m not trying to impose these rules on others, although they might inform my personal judgement of others, which is strictly my opinion.
Spitballing? More like trying to find reasons for racism by blacks to be acceptable

Spitballing? More like trying to find reasons for racism by blacks to be acceptable
Where did I say acceptable? I simply said it is not equivalent. Do you think the context of the history of the dynamic between whites and blacks on this continent is relevant to the current state of relations? I do.

Where did I say acceptable? I simply said it is not equivalent. Do you think the context of the history of the dynamic between whites and blacks on this continent is relevant to the current state of relations? I do.
I think that thinking blacks can be racist because random people were racist to them is nut. Then I see folks online talking about this and trying to bring up slavery etc lmao.

I think that thinking blacks can be racist because random people were racist to them is nut. Then I see folks online talking about this and trying to bring up slavery etc lmao.
I’m going to take one more quick stab at helping you understand where I’m coming from here.

Calling someone a bitch ass white boy is an asshole thing to say, and depending on your definition of racist, it sure as hell could be called racist. It is racial by any definition. I just don’t think it’s realistic to think that reversing the roles would be equivalent.

If I joked about sexually disrespecting OP’s mom, it could be offensive, assholish, perhaps anger-inducing but not as truly deeply hurtful as if OP’s mom indeed had a painful history of actual sexual victimization. If that were the case, the joke goes to a whole new level of offensiveness.

Whites as a whole were never forcibly subservient “bitches” to blacks. So that insult doesn’t really hit the mark. That’s all I got.

I’m going to take one more quick stab at helping you understand where I’m coming from here.

Calling someone a bitch ass white boy is an asshole thing to say, and depending on your definition of racist, it sure as hell could be called racist. It is racial by any definition. I just don’t think it’s realistic to think that reversing the roles would be equivalent.

If I joked about sexually disrespecting OP’s mom, it could be offensive, assholish, perhaps anger-inducing but not as truly deeply hurtful as if OP’s mom indeed had a painful history of actual sexual victimization. If that were the case, the joke goes to a whole new level of offensiveness.

Whites as a whole were never forcibly subservient “bitches” to blacks. So that insult doesn’t really hit the mark. That’s all I got
what does that have to do with someone that wasn't even born in America? so just because he has lighter skin he should be lumped into it along with all of us that weren't even alive for it? I'm going to get started on that part ;).
bottom line is these are professional athletes and they need to act with professionalism. there is nothing wrong with jawing but let's not forget these are supposed to be people for kids to look up to. Hes a pretty crappy example of a role model in my opinion... Same with the NBA for simply ignoring it.

what does that have to do with someone that wasn't even born in America? so just because he has lighter skin he should be lumped into it along with all of us that weren't even alive for it? I'm going to get started on that part ;).
bottom line is these are professional athletes and they need to act with professionalism. there is nothing wrong with jawing but let's not forget these are supposed to be people for kids to look up to. Hes a pretty crappy example of a role model in my opinion... Same with the NBA for simply ignoring it.
Yeah, it’s unprofessional for sure in a normal setting. In the NBA, I don’t know or care.

Do you think the context of the history of the dynamic between whites and blacks on this continent is relevant to the current state of relations?
Absolutely not. It’s irrelevant in this context. Saying white people calling black people racist terms is worse than black people calling white people racist terms because if this or that is nothing but making excuses to either make yourself feel better or to show pity (for the wrong reasons).

Most white people don't get upset by racial insults because we haven't been conditioned to be upset by them. We have learned that no one cares if we are insulted because of our race so there's no point in reacting to it.
That doesn't mean we don't notice the insults and recognize the hypocrisy. Society expects us to accept the insults with humility.
+1

Absolutely not. It’s irrelevant in this context. Saying white people calling black people racist terms is worse than black people calling white people racist terms because if this or that is nothing but making excuses to either make yourself feel better or to show pity (for the wrong reasons).
Wow, inventing a subconscious motive over the internet and then using that invention as the sole evidence to refute an argument, what a creative way to win a debate! Why didn’t I think of that? Probably because I was too busy doing other things for reasons only random strangers on the internet could tell me.

Then he went out there and dropped 40-17-13 on them with a bum ankle. I don’t think he forgave him and used that as motivation. Maybe Harrell should talk some more.
Threads like this one show you who has watched an NBA game in the last two years, and who hasn't watched one since Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were trash talking on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT